Author Topic: Chaos Theory  (Read 20509 times)

Saccharin

Re: Chaos Theory
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »
Vomas pressed his lips together thinly. The very creatures that held their organization together had been disappearing for nights and no one had thought it worth telling him before Kerr returned? What if Kerr hadn't returned and he'd continued on as acting Luminary until they were able to find a suitable replacement? Would Bralik have left without saying anything to him, leaving him to discover they'd been left vulnerable only when they were moved against?

And the Mimic Demons' leader wasn't the only guilty one. Even Kerr hadn't had the decency to take him aside before the meeting and warn him what it'd be about. It wouldn't have taken but a moment to do so, and it would've allowed Vomas a chance to sort through his thoughts on the matter away from all his fellow council members' blathering.

Even though they were only talking one at a time (at least Kerr had possessed the foresight to ensure that), Vomas was struggling to focus both on what they were saying and his own thoughts - primarily because everything they had to say forced his brain to screeching halt just so he could marvel at how short-sighted and ignorant they were. Did they really think all the Ancients and powerful creatures who had declared allegiance to them would remain loyal supporters once they found out their defenses had been shattered?

Despite his strong desire to point out how naive they were being, Vomas remained silent on the matter. He, like Dominik, had questions that needed to be answered first.

"And what of the reporter? Do they know anything else that would be damning to us?" he asked after standing. The moment he decided to take the floor, he'd established eye contact with Kerr, and he maintained it even after he sat down again.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
When Kerr's phone beeped, he heard it and felt it vibrate in his pocket.  He considered ignoring it but thoughts of Ben or Ichabod in trouble spurred him to look at the screen, just in case (even though they were more likely to call or he'd have felt some disturbance along their blood connection if they were truly in danger).  What he read in Ash's message panicked him enough that he unlocked the device and replied, 'How did you find out already??  Who else knows??  Is there any trouble brewing?!' as fast as his dextrous fingers would go.  As visions of information and security breaches danced in his head, the last Oligarch got up to speak and he looked up, returning his attention to the proceedings at hand.

Internally, Kerr cringed when Vomas broached the subject he'd been pleased that everyone - up to that point - had avoided but he stoically got to his feet when it seemed everyone had had their initial say (except for Tau, who looked like he didn't have much to say anyway and was happy just sitting and watching from his seat) and they were looking to him to answer the questions that he'd wanted, impulsively, to answer as soon as they'd been voiced, but he'd restrained himself out of respect.  He looked at each person he spoke to as he addressed their comment and he deliberately did it in reverse order so that the things he said first, hopefully, maintained less momentum and impact as he continued on.

"The reporter was questioned by one of our own spies at the behest of the Mimics the night the article was released.  He was supplied the false information by another source and was pleased to have made a thousand dollars for his submission, that was about all they found out.  He didn't do the research himself and didn't pose any danger to the demons, so he has remained relatively ignorant to the magnitude of the wrong he has done.  The demons didn't see punishment as necessary, due to the general ignorance that perpetrated this act; it wasn't a purposeful sabotage, it was... an accident."

His gaze slid smoothly off Vomas and onto Dominik.  "The Mimics will return in a thousand years or so.  As far as I understand it, they can't come and go between their plane of existence and ours easily, but I suppose they can find their way back here after a certain amount of time.  I don't know for sure.  I do know that they were summoned here originally by Halen, using dragon magic," he said pointedly, hoping to inject a little sensationalism into the meeting with this fact (and avoid answering questions he was hoping would be forgotten because of it).

Kerr's final point of address was directed at the first three board members who'd spoken, his gaze drifting between them all respectively.  "Conner, I thank you for your prompt response in withdrawing our active agents, I feared greatly for their safety in compromising situations with no backup to call on if there was trouble.  With all due respect, though, without your sources splayed to where they're needed most, you won't be able to inform us if any of the groups that hold us in their esteem for any reason decide to move against us.  We're blind, and deaf and we won't know until it's too late.  Jake, you say that we have allegiances and that our potential enemies would be squashed easily if we move quickly but against whoWho do we attack to assert our dominance?  And, my lady Zoheret, how?  Do you have an army in your pocket with which to squash the uprisings?  Do you plan to stand in a line with us, bearing a sword and facing down an ancient vampire who might be able to make you do things against your will far more easily than I could?"

To prove his point and wake the fallen angel up to the danger they faced, he pressed into her mind without warning, hard and fast, injecting a desire for her to reach up and slap her own face.  He'd never explored the mind of a divine being before and he found it didn't work like a mortal's (unsurprisingly) but he did his best and didn't wait to see whether the result was as much as a slap or as little as a finger twitch - or nothing at all.  The fact was, in the scheme of things he wasn't particularly powerful and he went on to make that point, fisting his hands and leaning on his knuckles as he looked around the table at everyone.

"To be blunt, on my return flight to the city tonight, I was planning my resignation simply because of what happened before I left the city; I proved how ineffectual I am in the face of ancient power.  And now I do fear for my personal safety.  Whether we like it or not, when we chose to stand on a council that controlled the supernatural behaviours in this city, we placed ourselves in positions of contempt and scorn to many.  Personally, I've presided over cases where I've doled out punishments to vampires older and far more powerful than me because they broke the rules that we imposed.  They hated it and they hated me.  We were safe to do that though, because the Mimic Demons stood up to every power brought before us and could match it.  We were never in danger.

"Now our force is gone and there are likely to be a lot of very pissed off supernaturals out there who bear a grudge against me for humiliating them.  I'm a miniscule four hundred years old; most of them would chew me up and spit me out without a second thought!  So yes, I do have some very real fears about what might come at us because we won't be warned, we aren't armed and I need you all now to think about the actions you've performed under the umbrella of the Oligarchy, with an unbeatable force behind you and consider very seriously where you stand now, with nothing but the supernaturals you count as friends to back you up.  Also, think about the people we employ, everyone in this building, to whom we owe protection.  Can we really stay safely snuggled here, going about our council business and imposing our rules upon those with superior powers and expect we'll remain intact?  What sort of 'peacekeeper' force can we summon by dawn that could bear up against the potential uprising that could happen tonight - and I have some very real concerns that that could happen!" he warned, holding up his phone pointedly.

He sat down abruptly, tired of hearing his ever-rising voice, knowing he was getting louder as he grew more passionate.  Yes, he was scared, and he couldn't understand how they could sit inside this fairy floss castle and feel that everything would be alright, as long as they banded together.  He counted most of them as friends, but he gave more credit to the enemies he'd made, unfortunately.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »
Kerr's words sunk into Jake like a hot knife. The part about enemies made disturbed him, and only one thought pervaded his brain.

Lazarus...

Jake had suceded in pissing off the most ancient vampire he'd ever met very early on, and although he was sure Lazarus had long forgotten him, what if he hadn't? Jake had Sam to think about, Scott to care for and look after. In truth, Jake had dispensed quick and brutal judgement on many old and powerful vampires with the mimics at his back. His bravado wounded, he turned his gaze from Kerr's eyes. The Anarch thought what to do. He couldn't flee like that coward Quin, but he couldn't fight as if he had nothing to lose. He had a family to look after. This was quite a bind. Jake's mind raced quickly. He thought how other governments stayed in power when their military - although Jake thought the mimics were far more - was gone. He rose slower this time, unsure of what to say, but feeling as though something should be spoken.

"I don't know what's best for this city in the long run," he began. "However, we should take some time to identify our most likely attackers if we know them. Whatever we decide to do for the city won't happen if we are all dead in a week. If we all ran and left town those supernaturals who are potentially after us would follow. We need a emergency plan for the next few weeks until a more long term solution can be put in place."

He sat in his chair and looked towards the wood on his desk. He whipped out his phone and sent Sam and Scott the same message. With the possibility that Lazarus could use either of them as leverage or revenge he had to make sure they were safe.  He made sure to look up if anyone spoke and log what they were saying as they said it. However, he would then go back to texting. He typed this into his phone.

Run my children. Leave now.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
The 'received message' tone caught his attention and curiosity enough for him to stride over and pick the phone up.  Kerr's message, filled with question marks as they were, conveyed the other's surprise at being found out.  Good, Ash thought vindictively, and texted Kerr back.

Isaac told me himself.  You better believe there's trouble.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 01:27:40 AM »
A thousand years? Well, that definitely wasn’t going to be much help to them. But knowing was better than waiting around wondering if they might show up. His fingers twitched towards his phone as others in the room sent messages to their loved ones, or perhaps gave orders. His gaze settled on Tau, wondering what the shifter would do about his family, his cubs he had to keep safe. Dominik hadn’t had to worry about his family for a long time, but now he had Carrie and Hannah. If they left, where would they go? Carrie couldn’t survive in the forest as he had done when he was young, and Hannah needed her mother. And Kerr was right, there were others too. People who worked for him, people who had become friends, pupils.

This was their home and all they had done, all of the Oligarchy members, was do what was best for their city. But that would be no argument against those who thought they had had done wrong against them, as Kerr was talking about now. Those older vampires Kerr spoke of, and rouge werewolves or families who had lost members because of Dominik’s rulings for him. For each council member there would be an equivalent.

He gazed at Jake as the vampire spoke of identifying likely attackers. Yes, there could be plenty of those, but it might take them a while to discover what had happened and rally against them. Or as Kerr said it could happen in a few hours. They should be concerned about gathering those who were loyal to them first of all – figuring out who that was, starting with the most important.

Dominik fixed his eyes on Kerr as he stood.

“Kerr, would you want to stand and try to remain as we are? If we can gather a force to help protect what has been worked for? If enough of us will fight that we might stand a chance? You just said you were considering resigning, that you are all but useless in the face of what could come. So would you stay and try to work through this or are you leaving us?”

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 03:28:05 AM »
She was about to stand and point out to the Luminary that the Oligarchs needed no army, that all they needed was to defend themselves against any insurrection. No one was going to stand up to them. She was about to mention that there was nothing to worry about and that the council was an inconsiderate waste of everyone’s time. She was about to fly across the table and give Kerr a touch of her mind when he had reached into hers instead.

In all of her earthly days she had never been mentally invaded. Living under God, there was always His gentle presence watching in her mind and it was something that was relatable to breathing – so natural that she never really noticed unless He wanted her to. But this invasion by this despicable undead cur had been much different – rough and much like what she imagined rape would feel like. Zoheret felt her hand move without her consent and rise to touch her face with more force than a caress, though Kerr’s desire to have her slap herself fell far short of actuality. There was a light tap as her fingers connected with her cheek that she was sure the other Oligarchs could have heard with their supernatural senses, but the Angel let nothing else happen. She glanced around to see whether any of the other Oligarchs had noticed this infringement and was thankful when even the Luminary looked away. Had she been mortal, her delicate cheeks would have filled with a light pink. As it were, she looked down embarrassed.

Inside she fumed with anger, though the only thing that reached her face was a poorly hidden version of the fright she felt at having been unwillingly controlled to do the vampire’s bidding in striking herself. If she hadn’t been in such a state of shock, she would have struck out at the Luminary with everything she had. Instead her new sobriety made her feel foolish and forced her beautiful lips to remain clamped shut while the others spoke with words she couldn’t concentrate on.

Surely if she had defied the Creator, she could win in a battle with any demonic creature that came her way, right? To Hell with these vile beasts would coveted power in this city! She had never made such enemies with her commands – she had been as well respected in the city as she had been in Heaven, and there was nothing that she needed to fear from her people. It was the others that had to be smote, not her and her own. If there was to be a war amongst the vampires and other cretins of this world, so be it – she had no problem sitting back and watching this city burn itself to the ground, especially not that the Luminary had proved himself to be an effective leader.

Saccharin

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 05:21:53 PM »
Vomas, in a rare display of annoyance, sat back abruptly in his chair and shook his head as Kerr moved on to address Dominik's question. Why had he even bothered? Of course everything was alright because the Mimic Demons had determined the reporter wasn't a threat to them - not the Oligarchy, not to any of the council, but to them. And it was just a coincidence that the reporter had been provided information that had, regardless of his original intent, sent them scampering back to whatever plane they'd crawled out of, leaving them unprotected and squabbling over how they should proceed.

Like Zoheret next to him, Vomas remained silent, internally fuming and wondering how he could continue working under a leader who dismissed him so readily. But perhaps it'd been stupid to expect more from someone who'd fled from the problems he'd created for himself and left someone else to handle them.

Yes, tell us, he thought nastily to himself, will you flee again, Kerr?

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
Conner, having said his bit and feeling rather squashed by all the powerful people around him, wasn't doing much talking; he was doing a lot of listening, though. What he heard were what-ifs and maybe-we-could positions. That, he could help with. It was his job, after all, to provide this council with the information they required to do their jobs. He pulled out his phone, having finally gotten the hang of texting although he still hated it, and began sending a barrage of messages to his staff.

A moment later, his phone began blinking with the alerts for the responses from the messages he'd sent. The orders had been received and were being executed; summary and detail reports would be prepared as soon as possible. New information came with the confirmations, including one bit he found particularly disturbing. He shot to his feet, indignation and anger clear on his face. He barely waited to be acknowledged by the group before speaking.

"Luminary," he started, then slowed himself abruptly. If Kerr hadn't mentioned anything about it, he may have had it done in secrecy himself. "Are you aware of the status of the library, and the reason for the disappearance of our entire collection of relics, books, and supernatural artifacts?" He charged on, now that he was up. He hated standing in front of the entire group of them like this, so he just got it all out at once. "Also, as for the Oligarchy being deaf and blind, I was following your orders in recalling my agents. My agents are capable of handling themselves in their assigned roles, and some of them may have breached cover to return tonight. However, they have been temporarily reassigned to provide extra security for the Oligarchy itself for the time being, if that bolsters your immediate sense of safety. I've also sent several of my most perceptive and subtle agents to discern this reporter's sources."

He opened a tiny hole in his shields and sent a very private, quiet thought to Kerr, knocking on his mental shields as one might knock on a door to request admission. Stop panicking. Keep calm and assess the situation. We are only as strong as we think our leadership is.

"As I'm not an Oligarch," he finished, glancing around the room with an exceptionally jaded expression, "I think that's about all I have to contribute. Although we definitely need a new head of security." He sat abruptly, staring at his phone as messages continued to pour in, and began replying as fast as he could without muddling the words beyond comprehensibility.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
Kerr managed a small smile for Jake, appreciating his candour and giving him a nod of acknowledgement; yes, a standby plan was exactly what they needed.  He and Jake attended to their phones at the same time and Kerr's heart sank.

How far away is it?  How big are we talking?  Will there be time to evacuate the building - there are a lot of innocent people here, I NEED SPECIFICS FAST!!

He looked up from sending this message back to Ash and gave Dominik a pensive look, batting down a slight surge of resentment in favour of fair consideration.  It was a precursor to Conner's speech, however and when he stood next, it was as stoically as he could (considering the most recent mental message he'd received).

"I'm aware of many things, not all of which I've told you yet, as I was wanting to stick to the core of the matter.  There's no need to search for the source of the information, Conner; it's Ben, my partner.  While we were in Austria, he found a book containing the incorrect information and sent it to his friend, Murphy, who published it.  I've been charged with recovering that book as soon as possible.  When I get some time tonight, I'll schedule a turnabout flight and keep that promise to Bralik.  As for the books, the relics, the artefacts, my leadership... they're somewhat entertwined," he admitted, placing his phone on the desk and sliding his hands into his pockets as he looked at everyone in turn.  His gaze settled on Vomas and stayed there.

"Recently, I experienced quite the crisis of faith and, feeling I'd let the Oligarchy - all of you - down, I walked away to get some perspective.  I need to acknowledge the fantastic work you all did in my stead, none more so than Vomas.  Had I not returned tonight, he would have been burdened with everything Bralik had to give and I have every confidence he'd have done as sterling a job as he did at being Luminary.  Thank you, my friend; what you've done means more than words can adequately express right now."  He gave Vomas a sad smile, sorry that there hadn't been time to tell him everything before the meeting and inexpressibly grateful for the support he was.  His gaze wandered onward as he continued, alighting on everyone in the room.

"I learned a very important lesson while I was away.  Ben was almost killed by an ancient who tormented him in recent years and when he was taken, I went after them.  I wasn't good enough, didn't have any hope of succeeding against a man who could kill me as easily as looking at me, but I went anyway, because it didn't make sense not to fight for someone I love.  I should've done better for you all after the ball, but I didn't know better until I'd had some time apart from the job.  I never asked for any role in this organisation you see, I was blackmailed into it and had the leadership thrust on me by the Mimics, because they admired my character.  I've never fought for the Oligarchy in any way.  When you ask me now if I'll lead I tell you this; I won't, because I think we all need to stand together, somehow, all of us equal.

"But with that in mind... Bralik performed a little slice of magic at my behest tonight.  Fearing the Oligarchy's time had come, I asked him if he could secure its most sacred and dangerous objects - mostly thinking that they might be turned against us or destroyed.  Because they'd been Halen's precious belongings, he agreed and the entire collection has been stored in a dimensional vault somewhere, on some plane.  I'm the only way to access it and I'm to put the book Ben read about the Mimics in as soon as I get it."  As he spoke, he unbuttoned his shirt, moved his tie aside and parted the lapels to show everyone in the room a dark thumbprint that was burned onto his solar plexus, twisting until they'd all seen it.  "I go through a little ritual and it opens... apparently.  I haven't tried it yet and Bralik impressed upon me that I should always extend great caution when entering the plane.  Also, only I may enter and leave, though I can retrieve and deposit items at will."

He righted his clothing as he let those bits of information sink in, but he had more to say.

"The thing is... I really believe that the Oligarchy, as it stood, is no more.  I believe we're going to have to forge a new way forward.  I do want to fight and I want to be an example, sacrifice myself for the sake of those I care about if it comes to that... but we can't afford to be the city's moral compass any more.  Not without means of enforcement.  That can no longer be our role.  I'm interested in overseeing the supernatural lives in the city in some capacity but the motivation behind it would be to protect the non-supernaturals more than to police those that would do as they deem fit, now that there's not always something as big and strong imposing rules upon them.  Things might get a little reckless and I definitely don't want to be involved in another apocalypse.  What resources you have available to you, Conner, might be necessary to protect the innocent more than us.  Perhaps we all should think about what roles would best suit us, in a freeform society, and retreat out of it for a short time, until everything has settled down?" he proposed.

When sitting, he reclaimed his phone, staring worriedly at it for his answer.  Isaac was in this building; God knew what state they'd all be in if a guest (powerful and insightful as he was) such as he had already heard of trouble brewing.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »
Ash re-read the message a number of times before deciding Kerr had sent it to the wrong person.  He couldn't associate his ire at Kerr for keeping Isaac a secret with this message whatsoever.  Obviously something big was going down at the Oligarchy right now, if Kerr was sending messages about potentially evacuating the place.  Wow.  He had a little more respect for Kerr now, and figured he should cut his friend some slack for not thinking about warning him that Isaac was in town.

Feeling a lot calmer but still a little miffed, Ash replied back:

You sent this message to me instead of whoever you meant to.  I'll leave you to deal with whatever you've got going down, but when you get a chance we really should talk.

There, he was quite proud of himself for taking the higher ground.  Ash walked with his phone over to his sofa and flopped down on it, waiting for Kerr's next text while he stared out at the city lights.  He liked being ignorant of all the threats that affected it, because he felt pretty safe with Kerr at the helm and his sire in the city (who was by now walking back to the Chambers and would probably find out the problem whether he liked it or not).
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
Jake became agitated and angry at finding out Kerr's impish child had caused this mess. Ben, was always skulking around the Oligarchy, never making friends, never contributing. Jake saw him as someone who only took; from Kerr, from the Oligarchy, from everyone. To think, that had Kerr's stupid child not read lies from a book the Oligarchy would still be an undisputed ruler of the city. Jake would still have a fucking job! He admired and respected Kerr, but this admission, although brave for it's honesty, darkened the ties that had bound the men over two years prior.

A slightly personal knife (and perhaps Jake's primary reason for hating Ben) was know twisting inside Jake's heart. A part of him had always found Kerr attractive, found him pleasing to the conversation. He liked Kerr as a man in addition to a leader. He'd even kissed him foolishly one night, and been utterly rejected for Ben. Had the child been some sort of genius, or great power, or hell even a nice person Jake would have accepted his defeat with grace. This idiot didn't even deserve to have immortality in Jakes eyes.

He stewed as Kerr threw in the white towel. The Oligrachy was no more. Kerr had said it. Jake knew that there was not another fit to lead them present who could pick up Kerr's sword and keep the now dead politically body alive. Other groups of older, meaner vampires would make their claims, and the city would fall to darkness and despair.  For who could lead that people would also want to follow? The dark angel cared nothing for other races or for the problems of humans. Vomas was a talented politician, but in Jake's eyes a coward unable to strike the mortal blow needed to rule. Quin was a disgrace, the demon Oligarch hadn't even bothered to show up and vampires would never submit to the rule of either shifter. Then there was him. Jake knew he could lead vampires. He'd done it before. However he was unpopular among the demons, dark angels and fae. Even amongst his own kind he had sway with those who identified as having a clan more so than Cattiff. Jake was not fit to lead. They were doomed. It was all because of Kerr's offspring. It was all because Kerr had made a choice. It was all because of Kerr.

Jake pressed his lips together, worried that neither of his children had messaged him back. He rose, again at a loss for words, but needing to end the awful silence that had overtaken the room after Kerr's proclamation.

"I am a military man. I am at my best when I am fighting someone who seeks to kill humans or other supernaturals. I should be out fighting. I admit I was not the best Oligarch. I was never meant to be one. If this city needs someone to protect humans and other supernaturals then I and those who choose to aid me will commit ourselves to that purpose. I herby resign from the Oligarchy and commit to forming a group committed to protecting people from supernatural forces that seek to harm them. I will return to the Anarchs, who have a sizable number in this city. They will help me start."

Jake sat, hoping that his last words as an Oligarch would be received well by those he'd counted as his peers and friends. He hid is gaze from Kerr, too angry at his friend to look at him without showing his disdain. He sent a warm feeling to Conner, hoping it would be returned. He needed his best friend to stand by him, and if anyone was going to aid him in protecting people both human and supernatural he hoped it would be Conner.         
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
While the men spoke, Zoheret remained stewing in her fury, her embarrassment by Kerr's doing, and the annoyance of listening to these animals who thought of themselves as men. Every word that Kerr muttered at the front of the table was like a slow churn of the cauldron of her hatred of this council and the bastards who thought they ran it:

The spineless Dominik, who couldn't even protect his own partner from being trampled by Kerr's drunkard nature, let alone feel as though he could stand without him.

The coward Fae, who couldn't even sit through the meeting to hear the fate of his people.

Zeus, the mongrel demon who had no respect for this council to begin with - hence his absence. Damnable beast!

That shifter beast, Tau, who constantly appeared to be of in some world where watching others decide was an Olympic sport.

The brat vampire who couldn't even figure out his own opinions of the city in which he reigned.

And then there was Cur, the Luminary who sat there apologizing for his young lover and his own actions. The Luminary whom, when things "got tough", had fled to a distant country to sleep with his concubines in comfort. It was Cur that let his young whelps have the reigns when he should have been sorting things out back in the city. It was Cur who now threw himself headfirst into the symbol of the only savior of the city's Good. With his ritual, he could prevent more Evil. With his sword he could help clean up the mess he made!

She, however, was not buying any of it. If Cur had only stood his ground like he was supposed to, perhaps they woulkdn't have been in this predictament. Perhaps they wouldn't be all afluster.

"The Oligarch of Fae. The Oligarch for Vampire. And even the Luminary. Who will be the next to fall, I wonder? Tell me, Gentleman," she began very slowly with poison in her voice, her body firmly in her chair and tightly tensed in an attempt to keep her own anger in. "If none of you were fit for the job of an Oligarch," and at this point her eyes landed on Cur, "why did you all feel it necessary to fake your way through the job in the first place?"

Her grin was dry as she spoke directly to the ex-Luminary. "And I promise, cur," she emphasized from her seat as she shot daggers at the vampire, "if you invade my mind again, I will ensure that it will be one of the last things you ever do. The same goes for the rest of the council." She smiled at the ex-luminary, knowing he had no more power over her if his resignation was true. Not that the Mimic demons were there to back him up even if it wasn't.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
What??  It was meant for you!  What sort of trouble are you talking about, then?? Kerr texted back to Ash, realising that there was a miscommunication at play here.  That was both baffling and reassuring.

He listened as Jake spoke his piece and then looked disapprovingly at Zoheret as she spoke from her ass.  Just as he'd requested not happen; how mature of her.  Then again, she was likely pissy because he'd rattled her, so she could have her tantrum in any flavour she liked.  He stood and made a show of bowing towards her, his expression a mockery of apology and sincerity as he said, "As you wish, my lady.  I think you'll find we all faked our way through the job due to a sense of duty and honour.  I'd like to think so, anyway."

Turning, he looked at Jake, uncertain why he couldn't make direct eye contact with him, but persisting anyway because his message was for his ex-Oligarch and friend regardless.  "That's what Jake's displaying.  If you're willing to make that committment, I'm willing to support you and stand beside you as necessary.  I pledge all the Oligarchy's resources will be at your disposal because supernatural humility and mortal protection is our priority now, in any capacity we can achieve it.  Do you want the building?" he asked and then sat.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »
Conner had heard more than enough. Fears of the Camarilla, or worse, the Tremere, entering the city and taking control before Jake could establish an Anarch stronghold rattled him. Anger that so many powerful figures would cave so easily; rage at Zoheret, one of the least powerful Oligarchs present, would speak to Kerr in such a manner threatened to overtake him. Jake's resignation, Quin's departure, Zoheret's arrogance, Kerr's willful defeatism was too much for him to deal with in a civil manner. Vomas was beyond annoyed, even Conner could tell that; most of the others looked fearful or discomfited.

"That is enough of all that!" he barked, bolting to his feet, not giving Jake a chance to respond. Fear of authority had deserted him; at this point, any power held was as tenuous as his own. When it came down to it, his authority was a lot less tenuous than the Oligarch's, as he was still in charge of one of the most important resources at their disposal. "I've heard enough. Zoheret, you bitch. You filthy, arrogant bitch. What power do you have while this council tears itself apart with fear and panic? Will you cause me pain? Will you try to blight me with your magic? I dare you to try; I guess that you know my powers far exceed your own, and I am not as humane as Kerr. So sit down and shut up. You may speak when spoken to. No wonder your God threw you down to the streets like the ungrateful whore you are."

Next, he rounded on Jake. "Give up that easily, will you? Abandon the Oligarchy because we might actually have to fight? This had better not be a grab for power, or...." He cut the sentence off before he would regret it. "Your talents are better suited to ensuring that the Oligarchy stays safe, stays strong, than leading it. You're not a peaceful man, Jake. You and I both know that."

Kerr was the next to be called out, and he did so with a vengeance. "And you. You would step down, disband the Oligarchy, hand it over with a sigh? What about the agents who trusted you, the employees who rely on you? Because I have no intention of stepping down from my post because my job got a little more dangerous. There are too many people who look to me for direction and, in that direction, security. That goes many times over for you. No, we are no longer undefeatable, but there are other spells that can control or banish demons. Any absolute safety you felt by having the mimic demons on our side was false in the first place. This changes little," he treated the entire group to a blazing, furious glower at this point. "Cowards and fools if you think that running will hide you from your enemies. To the last, you need to look around you. Disbanding this government would be anarchy and chaos. The secrecy of our kind, all our kinds, would be in grave jeopardy. Then would come the outsiders, some for power, others to keep the secret. So grow a set of spines, collectively, and use your heads."

Fury on his face, he ran a hand through his hair and sat down. "If anyone here thinks to censure me for my words, think twice about whether I still answer to any of you. You're in the process right now of removing that authority from yourselves. So remember, you'll sleep in the beds you make tonight."

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 02:05:42 AM »
She gave a chuckle of laughter as Cur threw around the words 'duty' and 'honor' as if he knew what it was he was saying. Now this vampire who abandoned not only his kind, but also his council when things got complicated or his heart was too overburdened by embarassment was trying to give her a word or two on duty and honor? That was laughable!

She had been about to inform them all that she would still remain the supreme ruler of her people in this city as the Oligarch, and that to do so was her duty. Not gathering at some private crying festival where everyone could gather and try to bolster Cur's self-esteem or to watch resignations, but then Conner opened his mouth to offend her. Throughout his tirade of trying to smash her image on his mighty rock of richeousness, Zoheret simply smiled at the description of herself. His description of her Fall was in no way original and it simply made her eyebrow perk and the smile to widen on her face. Men. Whether they were dead or alive, they were always the same.

"You attempt to offend me while the leaders you choose sit there wallowing in their resignations? How funny! Yet how ungrateful you are to be looking at one of the only Oligarchs who have not decided to give up without a fight? What do you all think will happen once the press catches wind that three Oligarchs and the Luminary have all decided to resign at the same time, so shortly after the Mimic Demons have left? To me that makes the city a prime target for invasion and insurrection. There is no defense if the Oligarchy doesn't stand. At least with it's members here, we have the chance to defend our races instead of running away with our tails between our legs like dogs!" She sat back down in a huff, not meaning for her voice to get as passionate as it did. This council was starting to become very taxing to her composure.