Author Topic: Chaos Theory  (Read 20509 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos Theory
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »
"I plan on defending all races, even yours you know it all bitch!"

Jake was standing with his gaze fixed on Zoheret. His dread ability had switched on and was now flooding the room. He didn't know if anyone in the room would be affected by it, but he hoped with all his might it would give Zoehert even a moment of pause. He was no fool and was a force to be dealt with. He was not be called a coward and would not be accused of running away. He kept his fangs hidden, as to display them to some supernaturals meant he was throwing the gauntlet outright.

"I don't have to defend myself to such a perverted, warped and pathetic creature as you." His tone was like venom. His eyes were black as onyx. "You lost, misguided abomination, you were made in God's image with almost unlimited power. After the fall you are a mere shadow. I could kill you at any time. Any of the four vampires in this room could do it. How does that make you feel? To be so weakened and powerless that something made by a curse from God could force you to slit your own throat or set yourself on fire? How does that feel you fucking bitch?"

He turned to Conner. "Conner you know I'm not giving up. I'm fighting for us all, just in a different sort of way. Be peaceful towards me friend. I will need you in all of this. You know me better than any. You know that I take no joy in power."

Finally he looked to Kerr. His anger was dropped by the time he locked eyes with the former Luminary. "I want, no I need, all the help your willing to provide. You are still my Luminary in my heart if nothing else."

He bowed to Kerr slightly and locked sad, anxious, scared eyes. He was angry with him. He was still hating him, but loving that he had faith in him. He was grateful that Kerr had faith in him, wanted to help him.  After all they'd been through it was nice to know Kerr still trusted him. It was nice to feel.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Saccharin

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 06:23:32 AM »
When Kerr finally acknowledged (and in a very public way) the work he'd done when he'd taken over for him as Luminary, it was like a bucket of cold water had been thrown onto hot embers, but it didn't extinguish the guilt he felt for being so petty. He'd been overly concerned with receiving his proper due that he'd been blinded to what needed to be done. They all had, though for varying reasons, and it needed to be remedied before things got out of hand.

Vomas stood, straightened the cuffs of his jacket, and looked at each of them until finally, he felt he had their attention. He wished he could remain there until their anger dissipated, but he suspected it would only grow if he made them wait too long.

"I have a proposal," he said, leaning forward and resting his open palms on the surface of the long table they sat around. "The Oligarchy, in my mind, was formed for one purpose: to ensure we remained hidden from human eyes. I propose we continue that, if not in the capacity we have, then at the very least we make certain that supernatural mistakes - and they will happen - are taken care of... Cleaned up, if you will. I would gladly lead such efforts."

He returned to his seat, hoping that he'd broken the loop of anger-ridden comments being flung about, but believing that he might've just opened himself up to be ridiculed.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
"Look," Kerr said with a tinge of exasperation as he stood and looked at Jake and Conner, "if you are all keen to keep things going as they are, that can be accommodated but, gentlemen, we don't need to attack one another!  Show the lady Zoheret a lot more respect and acknowledge, please, that we are all working towards the same goal, even if we don't say things the same way or have the strong force behind us we used to have.  What I'm seeing here is passion still burning for the task ahead of us, and I think it's wonderful but name-calling is not constructive at the very least and highly destructive at the most!"

He looked at Vomas.  "Your proposal has great merit and it seems to me that everyone agrees, mostly.  So tell me," he turned and looked at everyone present in turn, "how do you see all of this happening?  Do we, in fact, remain in this building rather than evacuating it tonight and continue with our roles as we see fit?  Just fighting off attacks as they happen?  I'd thought it might be safer to disperse, as this place is a bloody obvious target and we couldn't, for instance, defend it against a strong-willed ancient with a force behind them.  Not yet, anyway.  Somewhere smaller, with less vulnerable mortals and the other luxuries we've become accustomed to in the way of support staff might be better, wouldn't it?  Safer for them, too?"

He sat, impressed that people seemed very determined to continue forward but still very confused as to what the shape of it would be.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
Jake gained control of his temper. He listened as Vomas spoke and actually liked his plan. It had major flaws, but so did all plans. Jake stood, making sure to not look at Zoehert. Her time would come. However, he knew she was not going to strike him down this evening and he was not going to strike at her. He rose with an idea of how to combine his plan Vomas had laid out. His tone was much more controlled and even. Kerr's words had soothed him. He began with an apology.

"I'm sorry my lady," he said making sure to have eye contact with Zoehert. "My words were misplaced. Thank you Kerr for pointing out how disrespectful I was being. Also, thank you Vomas for bringing us back to why we are here." He moved on to his idea.

"It seems we really need two separate programs. I agree with Vomas. We need to contain the breaches in the masquerade that happen, but that is not all that needs to be done. If Lazarus or another like minded ancient decides to go on a killing spree cleaning up after him will seem rather like janitor work. I suggest that those who wish to put down threats separate into one team and those who are good at mind control, secrecy, and hiding supernatural breaches go into the other. The military unit stays in this building to keep up use of the space while the containment crews vacate to another. That way, if someone wants a war we can give it to them, while at the same time keeping our other operation a secret. We can publicly disband the Oligarchy and let the military branch act as if they are usurpers. The real Oligarchy would continue in secret. Thoughts?"

It was really just a fleshed out version of Vomas's plan in Jake's mind. It was the best military strategy he could think off. Have a decoy, while the real work happens behind the scene. Let Vomas lead the containment crews, Jake would lead the war branch if Kerr allowed it.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »
Dominik sat quietly as the other began to shout at each other, watching Kerr with narrowed eyes. It sounded as though Kerr was willing to try, but if it all got difficult again how long would that last? And these vampires, talking of war and fighting – they weren’t an army and Dominik had no intention of becoming part of one.

“I am no solider and the idea of creating an army to prepare for war… it does not appeal to me in the slightest, but I can see how it might to some of you,” Dominik said, his grey gaze flickering to watch Jake for a moment. He’d never had much contact with the vampire Oligarch and to be honest what he had seen didn’t appeal to him. So much anger, so much desire to get up and fight when the threats were still only potential ones. For Dominik fighting was not something you volunteered for, it was a last resort.

“I do not know how the others of you wish you go about your cleaning up and keeping us hidden, but the lycanthropes at least will need to find another safehold and quickly. This place is well prepared, well stocked, but far too close to the city centre for my liking should the worst happen.”

Perhaps he was being selfish caring most about what would happen to the werewolves – but that was his job, this was his responsibility. Not fighting threats to the city, but keeping them secret, keeping the humans safe from a changed werewolf.

Kerr’s suggestion of dispersal seemed like the best option – so they each knew where they were, so they could help one another if needed, but Dominik would be more comfortable having a separate place distanced from wherever their new base was to be. The new moon was tomorrow night. Two weeks until the full moon. Two weeks to find somewhere, reinforce it, make sure all of the werewolves knew where they should be.

“And you’re right, a smaller place would mean a smaller staff required – if you believe we may be targeted an evacuation is definitely necessary at once.”

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »
"But there is no proof that anything has started to happen, is there?" She said with flared nostrils and tight lips. Her words were staccato compared to her usual silky flow of language. These fools were not understanding the full effect of their own damn actions and she hated knowing that such imbeciles called themselves her equal. When Jake's dead eyes landed on her, she held his gaze with the coldest of expressions. Such an apology was meaningless to her. He and Conner had sealed their fates and both of the cretins would beg for mercy from her before the war even reached them. And she would smite them and all of their young, every memory, every legacy until they were nothing but ash in the sunlight. If she hadn't been so angry, it would have brought a frigid smile to her warm lips.

"If we were to run now, when nothing has happened, then the bull's eye of that easy target Cur spoke of would then land on this building and upon our organization. As it stands there is no threat. There may never be a threat. If we were to show even a glimmer of fright, only then would the threats become realities. Do you all not see this? If we attract more attention to something that is wrong, then more eyes will be paying attention, which is not what we want if we want to remain a council for the supernatural and hold onto our power.

"If you want to move your people, Dominik," she said coolly to the Oligarch near her, "then no one will oppose you. Move the mortals, too, if you must. If any one else wants to run, then run into your hiding spots and do your twiddling of your thumbs and kiss your children and lovers there with the knowledge that you damn us all. If you all want to be men about this, by God, stand up and act like it! Stand in defense of yourself, your position, and your duty to your people!"

With a breath, she gathered her composure and concluded with her final promise to the council. "I'm staying right here and my people have my ever-lasting protection."

Saccharin

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
"Zoheret, you make a valid point, but I believe we're right to be concerned about threats," Vomas said gently to the Dark Angel. Unlike his fellow vampires, he felt it prudent to speak carefully to a being who could curse him with a touch... especially because he was within easy reach, sitting next to her like he was. "Our library was... is... one of the most extensive that I've encountered, but we didn't have any information on the Mimic Demons. And then Ben just happens to encounter a book about Mimic Demons that sends them away from us, leaving us floundering and arguing about what should be done next? That, to me, seems deliberate. Planned. And it worries me."

He then looked at Dominik, and there was a newfound respect for the shifter in his eyes. "It is wise to want to find a safer place than the hotel for the werewolves to stay during their change. You are not running, you are being proactive."

Finished speaking, Vomas began to lower himself into his chair again, but he stopped abruptly and came fully to his feet again. "And wouldn't it be just as wise for us to all do the same? Kerr, you mentioned moving somewhere smaller with a skeleton crew, but what is preventing us from all doing that individually? We continue protecting our people and the city, but we do so separately, meeting as a council only if required. Certainly if there were more targets, rather than one, as Jake pointed out, it would be more difficult to launch an attack against us."

He returned to his seat, but leaned forward, eager to see how they'd react to his newest proposal.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
Tau finally stood, reluctantly unfolding his long body and looking warily about the table as he fidgetted with his jeans, his toes flicking agitatedly at the carpet.  "Shifters do not need to be looked after.  They can shift and head for the forest if they have to.  Most of the problems I have to deal with as an Oligarch are territory fights or young shifters changing form in public places and needing to be warned.  I do not think my kind will need to be in a war or in danger of being attacked; they're animals, built to fight or run, depending on the situation."  He sat, still looking awkward and a little spooked by speaking in front of all these emotional people.

Kerr sat and listened, gnawing on his tongue stud as he weighed up these options.  Zoheret's point was valid but limited to her experiences; she didn't see a threat because she'd never experienced one, as he and his fellow vampire Oligarchs had.  She also didn't have an inherent weakness towards others of her kind like he did, so she could afford to remain in position and swear protection for her species.  He couldn't and he thought Jake and Vomas agreed with him.  Others like Dominik and Tau had a penchant for protecting their own species in the most convenient way they knew how and he couldn't argue with that either.  Add to all this the fact that he'd told Ben and Ichabod that he was no longer interested in the city's politics and they'd be his only focus after their near-death experience in Austria and his impulse to achieve a resolution was getting more difficult to decipher.

He stood again, after a significant silence - one of thought, he supposed - had reigned for a few minutes uncontested.  "So all of us tend to the needs of our own species as we see fit, with others - such as Conner - providing their services to all species as necessary?  Spreading the word that we'll offer assistance via back channels and subversive means?  I'd still prefer to evacuate the vulnerable staff from this building and house our donors elsewhere so... leave Zoheret alone in the building?  Hold it until we find out if there'll be attacks?  What are your thoughts?  I'll be out of the country again as soon as possible, but I'll happily comply with the majority when I come back," he offered and sat once more.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 06:14:20 AM »
As much as she hated the vampires and other vermin of this city, Vomas was the probably the only other Oligarch she had real respect for. His voice remained calm as he delivered facts that she had not even considered, while Jake had blustered on and made a fool of himself by calling her out in such a childish way. It was Vomas that made her reconsider her options, while Cur told them about his plans to leave the city with his tail between his legs when the city could be at its weakest, whatever the reason. If there was anyone in this room that could make her even consider seeing another point of view, it was Vomas.

It was then just a shame that she had her mind already set.

"That sounds more than perfect to me," said the Dark Angel rising only after Cur had sat. "Although I do have one objection. Considering more than half of you will be leaving tonight and evacuating your staff, I suggest that we force the community to see this change as part of a supreme plan, rather than some haphazard attempt at controlling chaos. We should release something to the press that says that there has been a drastic change in the leadership of the immortal city. Redefine the Oligarchy as it stood and deem one person in control of the immortals - a Supreme Luminary. State that the Mimic demons have been disbanded and forced to go back to their own plan for some reason - an uprising or what have you; I care not. In the meantime, keep council as Oligarchs that have a God Complex - they have eyes in every spot in the city. What do humans call it? Big Brother?

"As such," She continued, her tone finally even and free of anger, "I nominate myself as Supreme Luminary. I will run the immortal population of the city for the sake of appearances. You will all manage your kind as before and keep the same rules as before, but you will answer to me. The city will see your resignations therefore as a change in government, not as a cowardly attempt to flee danger. This ensures that we keep our power and our hold over the city, and anything else that does come knocking thinks it is dealing with a more unstoppable force than before - an act of God."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »
Kerr stood almost as soon as he'd sat, looking at Zoheret with wide eyes.  "I do not support your nomination," he said clearly and sat again, feeling it unnecessary to explain why he'd made a veto motion.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »
Jake rose and looked first at Kerr with a smile and then turned to Zoeheret. "I also do not support your nomination."

He then sat with that same smile on his face, only it had grown wider. In truth, her plan was not a bad one, but he would never bow to that power hungry bitch. He honestly thought Vomas would make a much better Luminary, but kept that thought a secret for the time being.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59:26 AM »
She smiled and stood slowly. Clearly, they were all missing one important fact here. "As I recall, Mr. Galvin and Mr. McCloud," she looked down her nose at both of the vampires respectively, "you both have resigned from the council. Therefore, it seems to me, that you have no say in the matter at all. I invite those who choose to remain Oligarchs to offer up an opinion.

"It should be taken into consideration as well that appearances must be kept, and if this is only a ruse until we are free of the danger that seems so appearant, then so be it. My only interest is the appearance of power. And considering the shifters, lycanthrope, fae, and demons will no longer be inhabiting the building, yet the Oligarch for Dark Angels is staying, I'm not too sure what the problem is. You all have your duties to your people, as do I. That will never be lost amongst the chaos. All I'm saying is that if I'm staying in this building, I'm the natural choice for the position." Unless they were all about to change their minds and squabble about who would fill the position and remain, at which point her former argument about remaining as an unstoppable force as before would be given meaning. For Zoheret, it was a win-win situation. She sat neatly, enjoying her victory - the first of many to be sure.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 12:16:21 PM »
Conner watched the goings on quietly. He'd reigned himself in, cooling down and reminding himself that even though he was now less at risk for censure, he was still surrounded by powerful people.

When Zoheret spoke to nominate herself for the new hypothetical position, he felt it was time to put his two cents in, though.

"I do not support you either, and I have not resigned," he stated flatly, not even fully rising to speak before sitting again. "As such, I speak for those who answer me as well, until I am relieved of that position." Fortunately, his voice didn't carry much heat, but his distaste for the Angel Oligarch was crystal clear on his face. "I nominate Vomas as an alternative. Kerr has already vouched for him in such a capacity, and I agree."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
"Uh, I didn't resign!" Kerr protested, having been forced to wait for Conner to speak before he could stand and frown at Zoheret.  "I said I'd planned to come here tonight and resign - but that would have been in a perfect situation, which this isn't - and I said that I wouldn't lead because I now viewed us all as equals.  Frankly, none of us are perfectly equipped to face the changes set to come at us and shock made some speak hastily.  That's fine, because Jake's statement about resigning was never ratified and has since been nullified by his subsequent comments anyway.  So no-one has resigned, we stand as we are, still trying to work this out, together."

He turned to look at Vomas before he sat again.  "Personally, I'd support you or share your burden, if you wanted to assume an elevated role co-ordinating the species efforts proposed but is it necessary?  Do you even want the role of Luminary?  You've recently tasted it, and your proposals have all been met with enthusiasm so tell me, is a Luminary still a part of what we are?  If we're all going to look after our own species and meet only when we see fit as a council, we're surely equals - and at the very least we don't need to invent new titles!  Also, what care have we for appearances?" he queried, turning his gaze to everyone gathered but settling on the dark angel.

"If you all think it's essential there be a press release, perhaps we can let it be known that I re-distributed power as I saw fit upon my return and the Oligarchy is therefore seeking a new direction.  Say that I'm tired of presenting the council as above its citizens and we're all keen to usher in a new era of co-operation rather than judgment and punishment, where we have a focus on each species working more collectively with its Oligarchs and taking responsibility for their own actions, rather than being treated like imbeciles.  Say that the Masquerade showed me a chasm of difference between us and our constituents and we're now keen to close it up, that we've dismissed the former strong arm of the law in order to boost our credibility and show we care - I don't know how you want to spin it, but there has to be better ways than leaving a sole Oligarch in the building to face criticism!  We need to act as one and be seen as one, determined to work on a more real basis with all the supernaturals in the city.  When it fails, when we're attacked or ridiculed, it can be my fault and then you might need to reveal a new leader; but let's discuss first steps first!"

Saccharin

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
Although Vomas was not shocked that Zoheret was maneuvering for power, he'd expected a more convincing argument from her. Rather than die a mortal after she'd fallen, she'd chosen to become what she was now. In doing so, she'd had to turn her back on God and everything he stood for, rendering her logic flawed in his mind.

"I'm afraid few would believe God made you - a Dark Angel - his champion." He allowed himself the smallest of frowns before he turned his attention to Conner.

"While I am honored by your nominations," Vomas said, inclining his head briefly in the Tremere's and then Kerr's direction, "I cannot accept it. The desire to maintain secrecy should be what drives us, not a single person. That said, I support dissolving the Oligarchy as it exists now." As Vomas continued speaking, he looked around the table, wanting to include each of them in what he had to say.

"I will reiterate: All Oligarchs will transition to ruling over the species they currently represent... as they see fit. There will be no Luminary, Supreme or otherwise. We will each find a new location to base our operations out of - this includes you Zoheret. We should be on equal footing, and if anyone remains in this building, they will be viewed as ruler and us, the followers. And finally, if there is a dispute between us that warrants mediation, we convene. Perhaps we could emulate the UN's ad hoc tribunals, but we can bang out the details some other time. First, we need to determine whether or not this is something a majority of us are willing to commit to. A show of hands would do."

He sat back down.