Author Topic: Chaos Theory  (Read 20508 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos Theory
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »
Kerr raised his hand.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »
Jake raised his hand.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »
Dominik hesitated for a moment, casting his gaze around the table before raising his hand as well.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
Tau watched the others and raised his hand, even though he wasn't entirely sure what was going on.  If the alphas agreed, though, he knew enough to follow.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 06:40:32 AM »
As everyone may have expected, Zoheret remained as still as stone. She watched with contempt at all of the hands around her rising. At this point, she couldn't have cared less what all these fools thought of her - they were nothing more than idiots and she would not have her voice sullied by going with an irresponsible decision. Instead, she envisioned each oligarch's downfall and kept her arms crossed over her chest.

Saccharin

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
"We are decided, then," Vomas said, smiling for the first time that night. They were finally working together and making progress. Excluding, of course, Zoheret. His expression remained pleasant as he continued speaking, however, because he would not allow one petulant Dark Angel to dampen his spirits.

"I believe at this point, we should see to evacuating the building." He returned to his chair.

Now that he knew for sure they'd be leaving, Vomas was comfortable contacting Samuel to let him know that he needed to start gathering their things. The library server, for example, was something he felt needed to secured, as well as his files (both physical and electronic copies). That wasn't the start of it, though, for the whole building needed to be scrubbed of their presence and the thought of cleaning out something like the library with all its shelves, computers and printers was daunting.

It was a small blessing that they didn't have to clear out all the books too.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
"Well," Kerr interjected hastily, holding up a finger and half standing, "technically we should probably decide what our spin is going to be.  So it's the same message.  We need to know what we're going to be telling everyone that will get them moving out of the building as hastily as possible, without panicking them completely." He sat again.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »
"Tell who you trust most the truth, and tell everyone else the story you made up about the decision to share power," Jake said, barely remembering to stand.

He payed Zoheret no mind at all. Her political goose had been cooked. That was enough for him; for now anyway. He was pleased with how things had turned out. His initial idea about dividing power had been altered by Zoheret and then by Vomas, but Jake prided himself as the originator of the idea.

"The vampires should meet after this meeting is done on how duties are to be divided amongst our kind," Jake suggested. "I'm sure we all still want to work together on these issues."

He sat. His phone buzzed. He checked it quickly to see if it was from Scott or Sam. His daughter had responded first. His eyes grew wide. She knew the demons were gone! Jake furiously texted back.

What? How did you know they were gone for good? Go home at once. As your sire I order you. You may not be safe. Do whatever you feel is needed to procure your safety. Bring a friend if you need to.

Jake knew a command via text would not be binding, but he knew Sam respected him enough not to refuse a direct command, especially if Jake was telling her that her safety was in jeopardy. As far as bringing a friend was concerned, Jake was sure Sam was socializing, and if she were allowed to bring someone back to Dante's Inferno she was more likely to comply quickly. Of course, Jake could be wrong about his progeny. He'd been wrong about her before.   
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
After a few moments' silence, it seemed that everyone had had their say - for what it was worth.  Kerr stood a final time.  "Alright then," he summed up.  "Vomas, Jake, Conner and I will retreat to my, er, ex-office to sort out the details of the mortals and the building.  Everyone else will work on evacuating their people and important items from this building within the next two nights.  Once everyone decides where their base of operations will be, I expect we'll all notify each other.  We'll do our best to portray the removal of the Mimics as a voluntary change and also to present as united a front as possible.  I wish us all the best of luck," he finished with a perfunctory nod, then looked at the vampire he'd named.

"Gentlemen?  If you please," he told them formally and made his way out of the meeting room, surpisingly sad that nothing now would ever be this way again.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:15 AM »
Dominik watched the vampires get up together and head off to their own private pow-wow. Of course, vampires always mattered most in this city – they overrun the place and as far as Dom knew they were the ones who caused the most problems. After all, why else would they need two Oligarchs?

He lifted a hand to scratch at the stubble on his chin, mulling over the best places to re-house the weres. Most of them had homes elsewhere, they would only need a place over the full moon – but it would take preparation and attention to keep it maintained. And to keep them in check when the full moon came. And without mimic magic, and their strength when it did come to problems – fuck, it could easily go to hell. And of course there were those who were reluctant enough to come when they were threatened if they didn’t show up. How was he supposed to keep them coming with the mimics gone? Some could be reasoned with, some had been dragged in several times to be warned.

He took in a deep breath as his gaze flickered over to the other shifter at the table. Most of them hated weres, and yes, they stank, they were uncontrolled and unpredicatable. But that wasn’t their fault all of the time. He knew he probably still held Carrie’s scent on him (he’d gradually got used to her smell although it caught him at times), but as the room was starting to clear there was no point talking across the table.

Dom stood up and moved over to Tau, sitting beside him but shifting his seat away from the other man out of respect that he might not smell amazing to the cougar’s nose and Tau’s usual reaction gave him no cause to think tonight might be different.

“Do you know any shifters, strong ones, who might be willing to help me on the full moon?” he asked in a low voice, leaning his elbows on the table and linking his fingers together.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
(ooc: I kept forgetting this was here, sorry!  I even remembered last week... then forgot again :( )

Tau tensed and leaned away warily as Dominik approached him - not so much that he was falling out of his seat, but since he'd been curled into it in the first place, he had the ability to lean out of it a little more than was subtle.  Thankfully, the Werewolf Oligarch sat away from him, so he didn't have to smell his mate.

"To do what?  Collect escaped werewolves?" he asked in a surly manner, barely burying the urge to yowl a warning at the bear shifter.  They were natural enemies in the forest and he'd had plenty of run-ins with bears that didn't endear them to him at the best of times, let alone when they were rolled in wolf stink and sprayed with a love for creatures he would never understand.

Despite his opposition to Dominik though, the fact that he'd approached him got Tau thinking.  His mind instinctively ran through his registered shifter list and he knew a few that might be willing to help - for money - but it was difficult for the cougar to think much beyond deciding what to do with his species, now that the Oligarchy wasn't around to tell them what to do.  They were the ones most likely to gain attention by shifting willfully in front of ignorant mortals, they would need the greatest protection.  Perhaps Dominik might be someone who would one day help him... and his people.

"I know a few  that might be willing but it will cost you.  Lots of shifters want work but can't find the right fit; they will do anything for money.  You want me to give you their contact details?" he suggested, his tone still clipped, though his words were encouraging.  His blue eyes scanned the bear shifter's face curiously as he waited for his answer, contemplating suggesting an alliance between them but not ready to commit, as yet.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 12:23:38 AM »
Dominik raised an eyebrow at the sharp tone from the shifter Oligarch, feeling the hackles on the back of his neck rising but swallowing down the urge to growl at the cougar. But he was going to need a hand and the shifters were going to be the best option that he could think of right at this moment. With time perhaps he could come up with something else, but they had two weeks.

“Hopefully there will be no need for it, the shifters won’t even need to be anywhere need the werewolves. But yes, they will be there to stop any from escaping should the worst happen,” Dominik replied, trying to make it sound like an easier job than it might well be although he knew Tau may well see past that as he gave a small shrug.

He gave a nod at the declaration that it would cost him. Well, the Oligarchy had plenty of money and even with the split happening Dominik had no doubt that the money would still be available.

“Of course, that’s to be expected. I’ll make sure they get paid – it’ll only be for a few nights a month at first but could lead to more,” he said. Of course, there may be further work available if they proved themselves good employees and Dom needed extra hands to deal with werewolves shifting when it wasn’t the full moon, but one step at a time.

“If you could email me their contact details that would be great,” he said, standing up with a nod at the cougar. “And I trust that if any of them come to you asking what it’s about then I’ll have your support?” Dom added, his tone mirroring Tau’s and coming out more sharply than he meant it to. He knew Tau wasn’t his greatest supporter, they’d had little reason to try to work together in the past and there were inbuilt defences within them both telling them to stay away from each other. But it would be pointless Dom asking the shifters for help if they checked with Tau and the cougar advised them not to.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
"Yes," Tau agreed, instinctively tensing as his fellow Oligarch rose to his feet.  He didn't uncurl from his chair yet, though, knowing that he wasn't being attacked.  "Shifters need to work together now.  I'm sure I will need to be given some help at some time, too.  It's a good idea if we watch out for each other," he said warily, his blue eyes narrowing just because it wasn't in him to make a conciliatory gesture without proving he was on guard at the same time.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »
Dom’s muscles tightened as he felt Tau tense and he couldn’t help being on his guard around someone who was so on edge around him. He put a lot of effort into trying to fit into the human world after spending so long in the wild, he found it frustrating that another shifter could taking him back to his basic instincts to be on alert with someone whose scent he didn’t trust.

Maybe it was just tiredness. Maybe he needed to get home to his mate and cub, as he was sure Tau would want to do. Or get home and start looking up places suitable to house dozens of werewolves on a full moon.

“I’m glad we’re like minded on this. I look forward to hearing from you soon,” Dominik said, watching Tau for a moment longer before taking his leave and heading towards the doors of the meeting room, and looking forward to getting home, his mind racing with things he needed to do.