Author Topic: All in a Day\'s Work  (Read 15724 times)

Erebus

Re: All in a Day\'s Work
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
She quickly regressed to feeling very much like a disobedient child as she was led to the tack room.  Keely half expected the captain to waggle her finger at her and then smack her leg for standing too close to the horses, as her mother would have, but instead found herself gawking stupidly at the woman as she was offered a proper explanation – and apology for what had happened.  The latter she had not even considered a possibility, and was pleasantly surprised to hear it.  

The girl found herself grinning unabashedly at the other as she finished the sentence for her.  “Assumed that I was his new playmate.”  Keely shrugged and then looked about for a proper place to be seated.  She found it in the bench directly opposite of the one on which the guard’s papers rested.  “I only discovered he was my da this week, so I figure he hasn’t had the chance to make a grand announcement of it.”  She scowled at her hands that she’d placed in her lap.  “Though… after this, he might decide to forget my ignorance and…”  The girl picked at the bed of her nails as she searched for the correct word.  “… roughness, go ahead with it, so no one else thinks what you did.”  

Keely was astounded, really, that he hadn’t locked her away with private tutors and tailors until she was as proper as any other noble twit, but he hadn’t, and they’d have to deal with the problems that came of it as they did.  She groaned.  “He still might, you know, hide me away until he’s sure I won’t shame his name or holding again.”  An inkling of an idea entered her mind then.  If he didn’t know of what had happened at the stables… or the market, then perhaps he would leave her be and remember she could be taught the same things in the open as she could if locked away.

“I think,” She said quietly, “that we would both be better off keeping this to ourselves.”  And then she lifted her head to smile slyly at the captain.  “Whaddya say?”

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 01:46:27 PM »
She was so suddenly awash with gratitude that she verily beamed at the youngster. Keep it between them? Oh, she couldn’t have phrased it better herself. She cleared her throat then, and tried to hide her delight, attempting a more refined expression – though that smile wouldn’t be completely quelled, she could feel her lips twitching restlessly, wanting to smile anew.

“I say it’s a deal,” she answered more calmly than she felt, giving a simple bow of her head in acknowledgement. “Though I don’t think you have anything to worry about; you seem perfectly capable of taking care of yourself with no threat to his reputation or holdings whatsoever. Forgive my tactlessness, but the man has made his own bed and you’re as likely to be harmed by his deeds, as he is yours. More, probably,” she added as an afterthought, her bitterness towards her lover welling again.

She had to admire Keely’s grit and what she said was true; the girl would benefit as much from not being associated with him as she would with. She wanted desperately to find out where this girl had come from, but was pondering the notion that she’d terrorised the poor thing enough for the time being and she could well wish to escape while the escaping was good. She did seem somewhat settled on her perch, however, so Wilson waited to see how she responded to her last potentially damaging comment before continuing.

Erebus

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 03:14:03 PM »
"So I\'ve been told," she said, eyes once again downcast.  Her opinion of how easy life would be whenever she was first handed over to Dagger had only been reinforced by the man himself.  Their conversations had revolved around pretty clothes, horses, learning how to fight properly, and best of all, gaining the ability to decipher books.  

The only thing Dagger had come through on was her clothing.  She hadn\'t met her first tutor and her most recent adventure was to get her hands on the beasts he\'d promised her access to.  What frustrated her the most was that she\'d given up her life in exchange for empty promises.  

It did not help matters to learn that Dagger\'s name wasn\'t as untarnished as she would have liked to have believed and to have the idea reinforced by yet another person.  

The scales were uneven, and she knew she was on the wrong plate.

"No matter.  I just have to hope people see me as myself, not as part of him."  She smiled grimly and met the captain\'s gaze.  "I\'ll have to remind them as long as they see me as \'Dagger\'s daughter\', I think."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 03:48:59 PM »
Wilson allowed a short, breathy laugh to escape her.  “That you will,” she agreed bemusedly. Personally, she’d kill to be identified as Dagger’s, but that was a dream even a God could not grant. “Though you seem strong of mind and heart; enough to take care of yourself, certainly. As for the so-called nobility… if they think ill of you, you’re probably doing something right,” she shared a reassuring smile.

She took a moment to grab a stool and sit herself squarely in front of the raven-haired woman, feet spread indelicately, hands braced on parted knees. Plate armour did not lend itself to ladylike posing and she didn’t care. "If you don’t mind my asking, where is that you’ve come from? It’s a rather sudden revelation to hear Lord Dagger has a child - and not much of a child at that, forgive my insult.”

Erebus

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »
Keely was so desperate for someone to talk to that it only took Wilson tossing her a few compliments for her to forgive the woman completely for the misunderstanding that had taken place earlier.  

In hindsight, she would kick at herself mentally for being so open and frank with someone she\'d just met, but at the moment, she was grateful to have open ears and honest questions shot her way.  

"Do you know of Falcon\'s Mask Inn?  That\'s where I was born and raised.  For the past few years, I worked as a server."  She didn\'t see any harm in telling the captain that.  After all, her mother was no longer working there.  Where she was now, only Dagger and the gods knew.  And none of them were being forthright with the information she felt she should have access to.  

She nibbled at the inside of her lip until she asked a question of her own.  "How did you meet Dagger?"  It was only fair, after all.  She\'d answered and not asked until then.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 05:52:38 PM »
The captain snorted crudely. It seemed she’d always known Dagger and couldn’t exactly pin down when she’d ‘met’ him per se; she had to take a moment to think about it.

“I guess we first met when I was a recruit, about eight years ago. Before that I suppose I knew of him, but not particularly well – he was someone that would do the things that my family did, go to the parties they went to (and dragged me along to), that was about it. He was in much the same position as you are now, back then, so he was often talked about. I gained a bit of fame early on in the guards; being able to beat every man I faced off against in a fight did that for me,” she giggled, pride making her eyes shine. She didn’t want to sound as if she was bragging, no, but she was certainly pleased with her accomplishments. She’d worked for it, why not be proud?  She’d realised her dreams… mostly… and deserved the chance to glory in them occasionally.

“I think Dagger realised I could go far, because he more or less followed my career.  Now he’s of the opinion that just because he’s always been friendly to me, he gets to help me out with my job, ordering my men around whenever he has a need to,” she explained through a wryly twisted mouth, rolling her eyes. “Every now and then he oversteps the mark, though – like last Worship Day I found he’d taken two of my best men for some ‘secret mission’ and he still hasn’t let me know what! That’s… kind of why I was so hard on you,” she conceded sheepishly, blushing anew. “He likes to call me his friend, but he undermines me. And now I find out he’s got a brand new daughter – why isn’t he here with you showing you off, showing you his horses? One of them’s about to become a father to the Queen’s mare’s first foal you know.”

The more she thought about it, the madder she got at Dagger.  It really was his fault that she’d even got the chance to abuse his daughter. Apart from the fact that he’d been sneaking about so secretively (and maybe she knew why, now) for over a week, he didn’t even seem interested in claiming in deed what he’d laid claim to in name. Well, the person he’d laid claim to, anyway, not the what.

Keely said she had come from working stock - Lam could respect that. She also knew what it was to twirl lazily through the echelons of nobility day in day out; she doubted the girl would enjoy it if she knew the satisfaction of hard work. Dagger probably didn’t even think in that manner, not being on speaking terms with hard work as he was. In every way it seemed he was a fool unable to appreciate the gifts Adora gave him.

“Would you like me to show you?” she offered, referring to the horses and feeling that a simple, kind action might truly wipe the slate clean between the two of them. Still, she didn’t want to overstep her bounds. Perhaps her father did intend to show Keely around; perhaps she wanted to share the experience with him, if she was still getting to know him. Intruding wouldn’t endear Lam to either of the Daggers.

Erebus

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »
She listened attentively as the captain gave her history with Dagger, but she still felt as if there was something more to the story.  The woman had raged with such emotion on what it was to whore oneself out to another that she believed Wilson had experienced it herself.  It was plausible for her to assume – but no, she spoke of her father… not unkindly, but not with much charity.  Perhaps they could only tolerate each other, and called each other ‘friends’ to keep all involved in the dark.  

When Wilson went on to mention a secret mission with two guards, her musings were lost to embarrassment and an unwelcome wash of red that colored her cheeks.  She had been the mission.  Though to hear the captain talk, those were her best guards, and frankly, Keely thought that was a pile of fresh manure.  The one she’d been stuck with had been rude and inconsiderate.  But who was she to say that people skills were a requirement in military service?

The woman more than made up for her “best’s” lacking, however, and she nodded quickly before the offer could be retracted.  “If I don’t see her now, it’s possible I won’t at all.”  She didn’t see it as an intrusion at all.  An opportunity, yes, but not an intrusion.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 02:35:22 AM »
Captain Wilson nodded, holding her impulse to grin broadly down to a modest smile. She would do her damndest to make this right. She stood and considerately replaced the stool she’d been occupying, before regathering her belongings and opening the door. The two stable hands were milling about outside, looking nonplussed. When they heard the door open, both swung round to stare warily at it, stiffening noticeably.

Ah.  Yes.  She hadn’t exactly been polite on the way in. Still, there was no real harm done, so Lam paused before them and merely nodded, looking grateful as she said: “Ladies. I thank you both for your consideration and discretion on this matter. Lady Dagger and I have resolved all our differences and we thank you for the service of your room.” Her look said, ‘Tell anyone and I will hurt you both,’ to every degree it was capable, but she smiled all the while and then turned towards the girl in question, extending an arm to indicate that she wished Keely to precede her through the nearest doorway.

“This way, m’lady,” she said authoritatively and fell into step with the young woman. “I would like to introduce you to the Stable Manager first, if I may? That way there won’t be any further mistaking you or evicting you against your will. If the Stable Master were here, I’d introduce you to him, too, but I’m afraid he’s away at the moment. Are you aware of how the stable itself functions?” she asked curiously, fairly sure Keely wouldn’t be but keen to make conversation about the clockwork precision with which the stables rotated through various shifts and managed to service the horse owners of the entire keep, plus any visitors from beyond its walls.

She had walked outside the large southern exit as she spoke, and was leading Keely up a large, switchback ramp to the second floor. There were two guards at the top, standing to attention on either side of the barn-like opening. Wilson acknowledged their crisp salutes with a distracted nod as she walked into the darker lighting of the stables’ inside, intent on hearing Keely’s reply. Perhaps Dagger had not yet had a chance to educate her on anything about the keep; perhaps she already knew, if she’d lived but an arrow’s flight away from the stables her whole life.

Erebus

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »
Keely didn’t know how to take being called ‘m’lady’ and offered respect she’d never been given before. As a matter of fact, she’d blinked and looked around to see if Wilson had discovered a stray noble in the stables when the woman had addressed her. “Keely,” she said laughingly. “My name is Keely. If you call me anything else, I’m liable not to answer.”

She shook her head when she went on to ask about the stables. “You may, and no, I’m not, but I’d like to hear about it.” Though she’d lived in the city all her life, she knew next to nothing about it. If it wasn’t in the Outerkeep, then she hadn’t concerned herself with it. The girl knew when to avoid guards, how to make sure advances were knocked aside and where to go if the Innkeeper was having a bad night. If it involved surviving, she knew about it. She wasn’t even sure who all made up the royal family. There was a king, a queen, and a few children. Beyond that, it didn’t matter. She wouldn’t be able to make a meal of that knowledge.

Now, though, she would have to change her mindset so she didn’t make a fool of herself during all the functions Dagger would drag her to. It was almost too much for her to handle, but not being adaptable would have made her life hell. She’d manage.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 11:51:38 PM »
"Keely," she acknowledged belatedly, pausing to give the young woman a nod of acquiescence. It didn\'t sit completely right with her - for all that she was Captain of the Guard, the nobility still had a hold over her she disliked. Especially Dagger. It was, therefore, her habit to bow and scrape to them as much as possible, to avoid getting any of them offside. The less she disrupted the balance of things, the more independence and freedom she got; just the way she liked it.

This girl was, admittedly, different. More like Wilson herself; she could appreciate the gesture of a first name being used as a thing of comfort, a nod to the familiar, not a bargaining chip. She didn\'t offer her own, however.

"Well, up here on the second storey you\'ll find the more... mmm... elite, shall we say?... horses stabled. The ones who need to be kept above the riff raff," she joked, slowing her pace so that the newly discovered Dagger could have a good look at the pristine horseflesh housed up here. There was more activity to be seen than on the ground floor, too; more stable hands attending the needs of glossy-coated thoroughbreds than the merchants and lesser noble\'s beasts below. For the extra silvers it cost them, so there should be more attention given. She paused to let her comment sink in, still dawdling slowly along, before she continued with her description of the stable\'s workings.

Erebus

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 02:23:17 PM »
"So they don\'t piss on your feet and wipe their mouths after shoving their faces in a bucket of oats, eh?" It was muttered, possibly hard to hear with all the commotion that was the stable hands making sure this part of the stables ran smoothly and efficiently.

Her blunt comment aside, it was hard not to see how different these animals were to the ones on the lower level. Their coats were shinier, their manes thicker and free of brambles and tangles – even their hooves glistened.

It helped they weren’t bred randomly like some of their neighbors downstairs, and could trace their lineage back to the great-great-great grandsires and dams.

Keely nodded approvingly and added the unnecessary comment of, “They’re all beautiful,” before she became quiet again, soaking up both the atmosphere and the explanations Wilson gave her.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 03:04:05 PM »
Wilson broke out in loud, appreciative laughter once the sly little comment reached her ears, wanting Keely to understand that she had no qualms whatsoever with hearing rough language. Being a woman in a male-dominated profession had cured her of such sensibilities (if, indeed, she\'d ever had any!) long ago. It was another impressive thing about Keely, another way in which she could relate to the girl. Not in the sense that both had a dirty mouth when the moment and company warranted it, but in the fact that they\'d both reached a similar juncture of experience in their present lives, despite the difference in their ages. Wilson had been born noble, educated comprehensively and chosen a career of hard work and physical strain over being a decoration. Keely had been born into hard work and untold strain, only to be plucked out of that life to be comprehensively educated and molded into a noble.

Both of them were able to see both sides of the fence, and the young woman would no doubt develop the ability to perch in exactly the right spot upon that divider, once she realised she didn\'t have to come down on either side of it. Lam looked forward to watching this process and, if Dagger ever approached her again, she considered volunteering her services to assist; if he could foresee a capacity in which she could assist, of course.

Thoughts of her lover made her feel grim, so she turned her attention back to the girl, quickening her pace and leading her silently to the back corner of the top floor, where the Stable Master\'s room was. "That they are," she agreed to Keely\'s comment that the horses were all beautiful, "but along this aisle here you\'ll find the most beautiful specimens of all. Four of them belong to your father - naturally." She spared her companion a wry a grin, using her empty hand to indicate the length of the virtual wooden tunnel they were currently traversing.

"To give you a bit more insight to what you\'re seeing as you walk around, you should know that the city provides quarters in the stables, for those employed here, and your father\'s animals hold one of the prime positions on this floor - near the royal animals, beside the Stable Master\'s rooms. It\'s considered to be the safest part of the entire building, because there\'s always so much activity there with the workers always coming to his office and the general bustle that comes with a central command post, but I can assure you it\'s all in their minds. My guards see to the safety of the entire building," she grinned at the raven-haired girl, tapping her temple knowingly, inferring that the nobility of the city wouldn\'t know what was good for them if it was stewed and placed before them on a silver platter.

"One thing that surprises many is the fact that Stable Master Linley doesn\'t actually live up here; he has a family and it\'s not practical, so he resides in a house with them, works here most of his waking hours and allows the Stable Manager - who I\'m about to introduce you to - to live here instead. It\'s convenient for both of them, I believe, and fulfills the city\'s requirements that an authority be on hand in the stables at every hour of the day."

By this stage, they\'d reached the corner she\'d been heading for and she spied Gallagher standing in the aisle, hands on hips, listening intently as a man in a grubby pair of brown pants, hay-flecked vest and a long, loose ochre-coloured shirt beneath it spoke earnestly to him. The blonde was dressed in much the same way, except his vest and pants were black and lacking in dirt or hay decorations. Wilson vaguely recognised the talking man - who was two heads shorter than the tall, blonde manager - as one of the trainers. Or horse breakers. She wasn\'t entirely certain, but she saw him riding in the northern corrals most frequently and occasionally exercising the prestigious beasts in the open countryside, as if testing their merit, otherwise. He was important, anyway.

Wilson had the grace to stop a few metres short of the men, allowing them time to conclude their conversation. "That\'s Gallagher, the Stable Manager," she whispered to Keely, indicating the lanky man with a nod of her head before steering Keely to the right to stand at a large stall door. The top half was open, so she leaned on the closed bottom half and peered inside to the massive space within.

It was as big as two of the tack rooms they\'d occupied so recently - to have their spat - and was a room unto itself. There were four occupied stalls directly ahead of where they stood and a space at the end (to their right) covered with hay for the horses to roll in. Wilson knew that the walls down there were covered with these particular horses\' bridles, leads, curry combs and all the tack they\'d ever need, as well as benches designed specifically to hold their well-maintained saddles and blankets, but that the angle from which she and Keely observed at the front door, prevented them from seeing it. Everything was kept with the horses that it belonged to here in the stables (even if they were housed in small stalls on the ground floor), for it was the stable workers\' job to care for the equipment, saddle the horses upon request and wash them down after they\'d been returned. The service in the stables - for those who could afford it - was exemplary.

"That\'s him," Wilson said, making it obvious that she\'d changed the subject from talking about the Stable Manager to the stall contents by nodding at the intelligent eyes staring back from the pure black stallion directly ahead of them. If she stretched, she could just about touch the massive head - should the beast permit it. "He\'s the one that\'s sired the Queen\'s foal - about to be a dad, aren\'t you, boy?" she asked the horse affectionately.

At the sound of her voice, other heads appeared over the doors of the next two stalls.  Beside the black was a beautiful amber-coloured stallion sporting a glossy black mane and black ear rims, and the inquisitive face of a pure white mare - at least a hand smaller - now peered out from the other side of him.  No face was seen in the fourth space but a decidedly cranky kick caused the door to reverberate smartly, and snuffling could be heard accompanying the restlessly stamping hooves within.  The two middle horses\' ears flicked at the loud noise, but they didn\'t pull away.