Author Topic: Sitting and Waiting  (Read 4996 times)

FadedBlack

Sitting and Waiting
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:32:03 PM »
Her stomach grumbled much to her dismay. I musn\'t think about food keep running through her head. She had been sitting there since early morning, referances in hand and as much of a smile on her face as she could muster.

Yet she had been passed by many times that day, sometimes a person would stop, ask her business (or occupation) and look at her papers. Several times she thought she saw interest in their eyes, but many looked wary at her. Maybe they thought her to happy, or perhaps to pretty. She couldn\'t really tell anymore at midday. Wives did not want their husbands eyes wondering, and husbands didn\'t want their wives to get angry. It hadn\'t seemed to matter that she was a hard worker and blushed even at the mention that a man had noticed her. One even had the gull to ask if she was old to work, even after looking at her papers. She bite her lip and answered yes, getting a huff in return and the immediate exit of the woman. She had dressed as plainly as she could with the clothes she had been given.

She only knew that today seemed to be dragging on now that the sun was at its highest. Her patience was wearing thin as her stomach seemed to be protesting and her back was starting in on her too. She ignored both of them, quietly waiting and watching the day pass.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Re: Sitting and Waiting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 03:01:45 AM »
Joely and his mother had created purses and thin stoles from the wolf pelts that he\'d managed to purchase from Dretesia with her generosity.  He\'d taken a gamble, to think that the rich ladies who visited the markets would want purses made from wolf fur, though as the day progressed it had paid off, and his coin pouch was astoundingly full of coppers and even silvers.  His family would be so proud, and he could pay his fur supplier properly, hoping to win her over so that she would not look upon him as charity but more so as a business partner.

It was here that Joe spied the young woman who so many had ignored.  His gaze remained on her for a moment, knowing that the papers she held in her hand were likely references to potential employers.  The markets were commonly a ground for finding work as well as buying and selling goods.

The young woman looked upset though, her expression one of growing frustration and discomfort.  He did not know she was so hungry, but as he approached he was willing to find out if he could help.  His family often said his heart was in the right place but that he should be wary when in the castle walls.  He did not think this young woman would treat him badly though, not when he was offering to help.

"Hello, how\'s your day been?  Is everything alright?"
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

FadedBlack

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 01:36:01 PM »
The other\'s question made her look up from her otherwise boring feet. The automatic smile went to her lips as she glanced at the figure before her. However it only took her a moment to see that he was not of wealth, which didn\'t erase her smile but made her slightly dissappointed.

"I have had better," she answered truthfully.

"Its a bit slow today for the job-seekers, I did not think it would be this hard to find some work." Her frustrastion was getting the best of her, because usually she wouldn\'t complain. At the end of the day, she would just shrug her shoulders and continue her searching on the morrow. One source did tell of a job, but she would have to go to the person\'s house (something that she truly dreaded). That had been her plan if she hadn\'t any prospects in the market, but the day was almost over and she was to tired and hungry.

"What are you selling," she asked somewhat curious.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:31:26 PM »
He nodded sympathetically for her situation, for today could just as easily been fickle and penniless for him, instead of steady and plentiful.  It was the luck of the draw.

"Purses for ladies, made of wolf fur," he answered with a proud smile.  "I\'ve sold them all, which is more than someone of my calibre could ever hope for," he added humbly.  "That means I have enough to buy myself some supper for the trip home.  Would you like to join me?  I could use pleasant company."

It was a question of charity, delicately put.  He understood what it was like to have no coinage and too proud to accept any.  However, because he was from the farmlands, he also knew how best to get around such pride - for it was acceptable to dine with a friend or newfound companion, but not to give them something out of a money pouch, lest they be offended at being cast a beggar.

He shifted a roll of material under his arm (that had been the makeshift floor of his stall) to a better position, as he waited for her reply.

FadedBlack

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »
She did not understand the concept of owning a luxury like a purse, but was happy for the fortune of the other. Someone had to have it today, she was the kind of person who was use to being happy for others. "I am glad someone had a good day, its bound to happen every once in awhile."

It was his invitation that caught her offguard though. She was use to having charity given to her, but in the world she lived in sometimes that was the only way one could survive. "I would gladly accept your invitation, if you let me buy the first drink."

She did have some money, she wasn\'t frugul with any coins that she received. She knew that her last employer would have to get rid of her, (his new wife had been very persistant) so she had saved for this occusion. She had not expected to get employment on the first night, and figured she would have to have a room for at least 1 if not 2 nights. Food was another thing, she did have extra for it, but probably not enough for anything substantial. If he was paying for the food, then she could contribute at least enough for one drink for the both of them.

It was strange to realize at that moment, that she had always done that. A person was more then likely to be friendly if offered some kind of refreshment. "Is that alright with you."

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:44:57 AM »
Joely nodded perfunctorily.

"That sounds a grand idea," he replied with a beaming smile that dimpled his cheeks.  "My name\'s Joely Durum.  You can call me Joe," he invited, and gestured further up the road.  "I wouldn\'t invite a lady to the Falcon\'s Mask," he said, knowing the rumours of that particular tavern to be rough and ready for a fight.  "The Broken Wheel in the countryside is all I know."  He gave her a shrug.  "If the castle gates close behind us, you can stay at the farmhouse with me and my family.  We can lend a bed," he offered politely.

The castle gates were indeed due to close, and if they entered the countryside, they wouldn\'t be getting back into the castle.  If the gates closed sooner than Joe expected, then he would be trying to find himself a room while stuck inside the castle walls.  It was all a matter of decision and timing.