Author Topic: Sleepover  (Read 17534 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Sleepover
« on: March 31, 2006, 05:59:49 PM »
Once inside the office foyer she muttered a gentle directive for the bard to stay just inside the doorway as she walked around what had once been a business’s serving counter, to where two Skilled Guards were quietly doing paperwork. When they glanced up and saw the captain entering (despite her casual attire), they snapped to attention with a resounding exclamation of, “Evening, ma’am!”

“At ease, lads,” she told them, perching on the edge of a desk to have a quiet word with them about her addition to the cells that spanned – in various degrees of comfort – the length of the building to the right of the entrance.

The guardhouse had a great deal of room to house both short and medium-term offenders and did so until the courts were able to process criminals on a more permanent basis. They had those pending judgement for heinous crimes at the farthest end - in the smallest, windowless enclosures fronted by solid walls and a strong wooden door with a viewing slit in it - and those facing much shorter stays closer to the offices in open cells that held only a small bed, blanket and chamber pot, secured by expensive metal bars and a thick wooden door for access.

These were the chambers most likely to be stayed in by nobility who’d had one too many wines and been too rowdy in the drinking establishment of their choice, or business people who’d got into a brawl with fellow merchants and had needed restraint before things spiralled out of control. In fact, the better respected the criminal, the closer they were held to the offices, in cells that had nothing blocking their view and that gave them the feeling that they weren’t true lawbreakers; they’d just made a bad decision and were being held until their head cleared, for the most part.

Lam wished Phoebe to be held in the closest compartment of all – the one in full view of the office where her guards were ever-present. The men agreed without question, though they did grin a little when she told them that they could well find themselves entertained by the bard if she wasn’t too sleepy. She finished her oration with the clear instruction that the woman should be gone after she was given a breakfast on the city’s generosity, to which they nodded obediently. Their shift would end at mid-night but they would dutifully pass this information on to the next patrol. Wilson spoke nothing of the bet she had riding on the newcomer\'s wiles, naturally.

[FONT="]That done, she headed back to the front desk, bracing her hands on it as she spoke to Phoebe. “Come in,” she bade with a flick of her head, “Guards Hammerton and Bertling will take care of you now."[/FONT]

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Sleepover
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:56:04 PM »
Pheobe had trailed after the captain complacently, a small, secret smile playing across her lips. When Lam bade her stay in the doorway, she was more than happy to oblige, removing her gloves and blowing on her fingers to warm them, all the time taking in the stationhouse and it\'s inhabitants with furitive glances.

She noticed, especially, the attention paid and respect given to the captain by her men. It was almost unheard of, in most of the places Pheoe visited, to have a woman in such a position of power. To say she was impressed would have been a drastic understatement.

"Thank you, lady," she murmured from behind that secret smile, still firmly in it\'s rightful place. She shook both guards\' hands with her own, still slightly cool to the touch, in turn, "Good even to you, lawmen. Point the way, yes?"

After they had pointed her to her cell - the general quality of which did not escape her notice, or appreciation - "Thank you kindly, Captain. I could do with a safe night\'s sleep, for once, but I do live to entertain. No rest for the wicked!" Her grin widened, "That is, if you\'ve no objection to such things on this, the holy day...?" Though the Captain had already given permission, it never hurt to be courteous to the people in charge – that is, if they were well-respected. Of course, though, the tiny bit of almost-mocking playfulness never left her voice.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 04:20:20 PM »
With a knowing grin and a wry shake of the head, Wilson hooked the door to Phoebe\'s cell back - there was, after all, no need to lock her within when she\'d entered voluntarily - and stepped away.  "Do as you will, my men are yours to serenade or annoy, depending on your worth.  I will catch you on the morrow, bright and early!" she addressed the room, sparing the bard a secretive wink after her sly jab.  With an amiable slap upon the guards\' shoulders, she then walked out of the office in order to get some sleep before the morning\'s ride.

Skilled Guards Frances (Frank) Hammerton and Sam Bertling, however, shuffled about in front of the cage giving the bard expectant looks.  She\'d said she was willing to entertain and paperwork certainly didn\'t compare to a charismatic woman promising to be wicked in their general area, so they were happy for her to keep them from what they really should have been doing.

"Do ye\' have an instrument then?" the fair-coloured Sam asked, a keen half smile upon his mouth.  He shoved his hands into his pants pockets, looking like he was not intending to move until he got an answer one way or the other.  His dark-haired companion said nothing but appeared just as intrigued as he took a few steps back to sit on the edge of a desk.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 12:41:57 PM »
"Not as early as you think!" Pheobe called after her as she sat down on the bed. Pheobe simply always had to have the last word.

She cocked a brow quizically at Sam when he spoke to her, plaful grin upon her rosebud lips, "Aye, I\'ve got an instrument," she told him as she undid the clasp on her faded black cloak, and then deliberately folded the garment and placed it on the bed beside her before continuing. It wasn\'t necesarry for her to do so, however, because once the cloak was gone it was easy to see the fiddle and bow strapped firmly to her back with leather straps, which went around her shoulders. She reached up to undo the first clasp as she spoke, then, "I\'ve got a few, but this is the only one that can be seen as one at first glance. Anything can make music, laddie." She winked as she undind the second strap and then quickly reached behind her to catch the fiddle before it fell, "But, that aside, I\'m sure you two fine lads\'ve got names, haven\'t you?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 05:41:27 PM »
"Aye, that we do!" the blonde agreed eagerly, thoroughly intrigued by the prospect of decent entertainment coming to the cells - it made a much improved change from vomit and snores.  "I\'m Sam, and this be Frank," he continued, reaching out with his left hand to slap the other roughly on the shoulder (the distance was greater than he\'d anticipated, for the darker man had moved a few steps more than he\'d accounted for, but he recovered quite blithely).

"Who\'re you, then?" Frank called, raising his chin arrogantly.  He was obviously trying to look nonchalant and unfazed by the fact that a bard was about to play during what had to be the dullest shift of the week (nine of the clock to three in the morning)... but he wasn\'t moving away any time soon.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:01:46 AM »
She tenderly placed the fiddle and bow on top of her folded cloak, "It\'s good to know that you have names, gents. It\'d be a trial, goin\' through  life without one." She nodded sagely as she imparted this wisdom, but her grin returned the moment the words left her mouth, "Pheobe Thibideaux, at your service." she stood up from the bed, and dropped a curtsy, as practiced and graceful as any lady of the court.

Pheobe straightened, and in the same motion, she sat back down and then picked up her fiddle, turning the wooden pegs at the top of the neck, and plucking catgut strings experimentally to listen for any anomaly in their sound. "Any tales in particular you\'ll be liking from me, then, or is it lady\'s choice?" The bard looked at them sidelong from under her lashes, grinning mysteriously, while her hands worked the instrument.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:36:03 AM »
"How about you sing us a warrior\'s tale?" Frank challenged smugly, folding his arms over his chest and smirking into Phoebe\'s dancing eyes.  He was hastily overriding any opinion Sam might have had, since the the fairer of the guards had slipped over to grab himself a chair.

He gave the swarthy-complexioned one a frown of disapproval as he dragged said object back and plonked it down facing the cell.  He sat his young self upon it in a slightly askew manner, looking backwards at his colleague for the time being.  "You don\'t sing warrior\'s tales!" he argued.  "Let the lady have her way."

"Nay; she asked.  And I\'d like to hear the song of a warrior," Frank sneered determinedly.  His dark eyes glittered as he watched the charismatic bard, wondering if she could do as he said, at the drop of a hat.  She\'d certainly earn his respect, if she could.  Sam, on the other hand, merely spun on his seat with a snort, shaking his head and giving Phoebe an apologetic look.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:40:06 PM »
"Of course you sing warriors tales! Any tale written can – and damn rightly should – be sung." Pheobe set down her instrument for a moment, a thoughtful expression coming over her face, "Now, now. I offered, lad, it\'s only fair I give the man what \'e\'s askin\' for." after a moment\'s consideration, she nodded, "My only question then being, how bloody do you want it, and have you got anything against pirates?" she grinned, always glad to accept a challenge. The bard had a few songs in her exensive library that fit the bill, but most of them were, in fact, about battles fought at sea.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
Subdued by Phoebe\'s assurance that she wasn\'t offended by Frank\'s stern direction - because she had asked for input - Sam smiled faintly and swivelled to face her properly while his peer spoke again. Since it was not a request of his choosing, he wisely decided he should keep his mouth shut and simply enjoy the result. He contented himself with furtively eyeing the buxom creature from head to toe, a tell-tale blush creeping out into his cheeks, should either of the others care to take note.

"The bloodier the better," Frank enthused predictably (though he had seen no wars firsthand, nor even experienced more than a few fistfights or quarrelsome skirmishes that amounted to nought when visitors at the Tournament of the Corn imbibed a little too heavily). He then bestowed a disdainful look upon the bard. "Pirates... hmm... can\'t say as I like \'em, but as for objections... I have none, at this stage."

The fact was, he couldn\'t say as he knew what in Talon\'s name they bloodywell were (given his mundane rearing in the castle and unwillingness to step outside the bounds of his own comfort - for even a wild and woolly tale at a tavern); but he didn\'t think it necessary to point that out. He was satisfied with the implication that he was reluctantly - magnanimously, even - allowing the woman to weave the tale she chose... but that he wasn\'t overly thrilled about the subject matter.  So she had better make it worth his while.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 09:32:21 AM »
The bard\'s grin widened, "Perfect," she purred, "Then you shall hear the tale of brave – if not entirely hon\'rable – seaman, by the name of Admiral Benbow." She, of course, noticed Sam giving her the once-over, but she had always found that it served her interest best to simply let it slide. Besides, all attention was good attention, in Pheobe\'s mind.

She picked up her fiddle by the neck, and nestled it under her chin. With her left hand, she raised her bow to touch the strings, and began a low, mournful melody. Shortly after, her voice, low and sorrowful, joined the music.

"Come all ye seamen bold, and draw near
And draw near
Come all ye seamen bold, and draw near
It is of an admiral\'s fame
O brave Benbow was his name
How he fought all on the main
You shall hear, you shall hear.

Brave Benbow he set sail, for to fight
For to fight
Brave Benbow he set sail, for to fight.
Brave Benbow he set sail,
With a fine and pleasant gale
But his captains they turn\'d tail
In a fright, in a fright
Says Kirby unto Wade, \'We will run,
We will run.\'
Says Kirby unto Wade, \'We will run.
For I value no disgrace
Or the losing of my place
But the enemy I won\'t face
Nor his guns, nor his guns.\'

Then Ruby and Benbow fought the French
Fought the French,
Then Ruby and Benbow fought the French.
They fought them up and down
\'Til the blood came trickling down
\'Til the blood came trickling down
Where they lay, where they lay.

Brave Benbow lost his legs by chain shot
By chain shot,
Brave Benbow lost his legs by chain shot.
Brave Benbow lost his legs
And all on his stumps he begs
Fight on, my lads
\'Tis our lot, \'tis our lot.

The surgeon dress\'d his wounds, cries Benbow
Cries Benbow,
The surgeon dress\'d his wounds, cries Benbow.
\'Let a cradle now in haste
On the quarterdeck be placed,
That the enemy I may face
\'Til I die, \'til I die.\'"

She sang the last word in a wavering voice that gradually drowned in the notes from the fiddle, until that too died away. She lowered the instrument, and gave a small nod, brow cocked as she awaited comment.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 11:43:11 AM »
Sam was as fascinated with the way she worked her fiddle - drawing such evocative notes from the strings with practised ease - as he was with the story. Possibly even more so, for the tale wafted over him without having a great deal of impact on his expression - it remained wide-eyed and enchanted the whole time. He applauded enthusiastically when silence rose. "That was wonderful!" he exclaimed. "Very sad!"

Frank was not as obviously impressed (on the outside), but he conceded a few claps and a wry smile. Given that he\'d never borne witness to a live performance of such calibre, he couldn\'t help but be impressed; he was simply unwilling to give too much away at the start. "Well done, lass. I don\'t know about sad," he chided his colleague, as the fairer man at last fell quiet, "but certainly an admirable tale. Would that we could all fight with such honour and determination. Have you another? Involving horses?" he then asked, speaking a lot more keenly to Phoebe, now that the initial song had had such an impact.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 02:27:02 PM »
"Sad, yes, especially if you\'ve seen what chainshot can do to a man. Seen it tear through the middle of a sailor and not pause for so much as \'how-do-you\' \'fore it tore down the ship\'s mast, too." She shook, her, head, till grinning, however, and fitted the fidle under her chin, noting that the fleece chinrest was still warm, with some satisfaction, "Ah, I\'ve got a song with horses, lad. They\'re mostly dead, but the bloodier the better, right?" She grinned deviously at the darker man, and before he could answer, she began the song.

It was a rousing tune, designed to make the blood boil with pride. A mascline tune, somehow wrong – but so right – in the capable hands of the curvaceous bard. She sang, and her voice growled and boomed over the words, hardly recognizable as the soft, sombre instrument of just a few moments before.
 "A kingly host upon a stream,
a monarch camped around
Its southern upland far and wide
 their white pavilions crowned;
Not long ago that sky unclouded showed,
nor beneath the ray,
That gentle stream in silver flowed
 to meet the new-born day.

Peals the horn its thunders boom
the echoing vales along
While curtained in its sulfurous boom
moves on the gallant thrown.
And Foot and Horse in mingled mass,
regardless all of life,
With furious ardor onward pass
to join the deadly strife.

Not strange that with such ardent flame
each glowing heart beats high,
Their battle-word was William\'s name
and Death and Liberty!
Then Ouldbridge, then they peaceful bowers
with sounds unwonted rang,
And Tredagh, mid thy distant towers,
 was heard the mighty clang.

The silver stream is crimsoned wide
and clogged with many a corpse,
As floating down its gentle tide
co- mingled man and horse;
Now fiercer grows the battle\'s rage,
the guarded stream is crossed,
And furious, hand-to-hand,
engage each bold contending host.

He falls-the veteran hero falls,
renowned along the Rhine-
And he whose name, while Derry s walls
endure shall brightly shine;
Oh! would to heaven that churchman bold,
his arms with triumph blest,
The soldier spirit had controlled
that fired his pious breast.

And he, the chief of yonder brave
and persecuted band,
Who foremost rushed amid the wave
and gained the hostile strand,
He bleeds, brave Caillemonte-he bleeds
-tis closed, his bright career,
Yet still that band to glorious deeds
 his dying accents cheer,

And now that well-contested strand
successive columns gain,
While backward James yielding band
are borne across the plain;
In vain the sword green Erin draws,
 and life away doth fling-
Oh! worthy of a better cause
 and of a bolder king.

In vain thy bearing bold is shown
upon that blood-stained ground;
Thy towering hopes are overthrown,
thy choicest fall around;
Nor, shamed abandon thou the fray,
 nor blush though conquered there;
A power against thee fights today
no mortal arm may dare.

Hurrah! Hurrah! For Liberty,
 for her sword we draw,
And dared the battle while on high
 our Orange banners flew.
Woe worth the hour- worth the state,
when men shall cease to join
Wit grateful hearts to celebrate
 the glories of the Boyne!"

She took the fiddle from her chin once more and laid it in her lap, smoothing her callused hands along it\'s worn surface, then tapping out a jaunty rythm with her fingertips, "Enough horses?" she asked, grin still firmly in it\'s place.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 02:34:31 PM »
The two guards met the end of the song with rousing cheers - and even a whistle from Sam - and claps.

"Aye," Frank grinned, pleased that his request had been catered to.  "That\'s enough of horses, I think!"

Sam immediately set to frowning, once quiet settled around them again, sitting eagerly forward on his seat. "But what was that song about?" he queried.

"About war, you dolt!" Frank chastised him gruffly, but the fairer guard didn\'t want to hear his answers from his workmate - he looked to Phoebe for her interpretation of the song\'s message.

"Is it?" he asked simply.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 09:00:13 AM »
"Aye," she said, nodding soberly, "About a battle for a valley. Civil war, in a country eastwise from Oberon, from a very long time ago,  when they was still worshippin\' as many gods as there were hairs on a grown man\'s head. It\'s a song from the rebellion, honoring their heroes, and their dead."

She grinned again, and laughed, "O\'course, the victory was one of few, and all of \'em ended with their heads on pikes, empty eyes starin\' out over the fields of all them dead."  She shrugged, "Their descendants still sing their songs, though, out of solidarity, or some such."

She strummed a chord on the fiddle, "\'Twas a time, then, of ill omen; crops failin\', disease, death, chaos. Civil unrest, left and right. Folk who joined the rebellion, now, they blamed the king for thei misfortunes -- he\'d strated flyin\' Talon\'s colours into battle, \'stead of the totems o\' th\'old Gods. Erin, son o\' Gawain, was their man -- they said he was fae born. \'Nother noble, o\' course, but he clung to the old ways with a mighty fierceness, defected and raised an army to fight for \'em."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 10:04:45 PM »
Frank was frowning at her, suspicious of a stranger who knew such details about battles in distant lands and the competitors in them, but impressed nevertheless.  "How do you know all this?  How long ago are we talking, here?" he challenged, his tone nowhere near as petulant as it had been when she\'d first begun to sing, but rather more interested.  He half believed she wasn\'t telling the truth... yet the details were numerous and intricate enough for him to be convinced that her ballad was accurate.  For her to know such things implied a bottomless memory and a truly awesome gift for gathering tales to store in it.

Sam merely grinned, imagining the lead-up to a battle in a distant land, as she\'d described it.  He wasn\'t sure of what province it was likely to be - for he\'d barely been interested in Oberon\'s history, let alone have followed another principality\'s during his years of study - but he was intrigued all the same.  The way Phoebe presented it was far more real to him than his tutor\'s words were ever likely to have been, her talent for telling a tale at least as well as she sang a song lost on him - save for his acknowledgement that he enjoyed listening to her and wanted to know everything she had to tell.