Author Topic: Delivering the Beast  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Delivering the Beast
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:15:36 AM »
Kerr was unimpressed (again) that he had to park so far away from the hotel that was the Oligarchy\'s headquarters, but he was pleased to find the enormous desk within manned this time.  Not by an inept demon brat, either - a twinge of the memory of pain was quickly stamped down as he strode up to the gentleman watching him attentively.  He didn\'t walk too quickly - he had to turn and check that Tag was keeping up with him as he went.

The wolf boy presented such a heartwrenching figure, trailing obediently after him, all cleaned up and looking handsome.  He was carrying his new belongings like he was embarking on a holiday overseas, exercising his youthful right to explore the world and own it (as the young already thought they did).  He looked around a lot, but there was such an innocent and... trusting look in his eyes whenever he looked at Kerr and said his name or smiled, that the vampire could hardly stand it.  He felt like he was dropping him off at some sort of animal home, to be euthanised.  Or neutered, at the very least.

Swallowing, he cleared his throat as he came to a stop in front of the guard, hands resting on the counter and fingers tapping agitatedly.  "I... need to speak with someone.  Halen would be good," he said austerely, recalling the name Shiroan had at last given the night before.  He didn\'t think it was appropriate to go into requesting an Oligarch whose exact nature he couldn\'t define, nor blathering out the entire story to a complete stranger standing in a lobby - even if he was no doubt an informed complete stranger.  It was probably part of the job requirement, interpreting coded or vague messages, but the vampire was done with appearing anything less than entirely in control in this place.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Delivering the Beast
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 01:47:38 PM »
"What is it regarding?" the demon asked.  His appearance was human, only his eyes seemed an odd colour for someone truly human - a bit too silver to pass for grey.  He was dressed smartly, but not formally, with a crisp white shirt and no tie, suit pants but no jacket, though a matching one could be seen hanging on a hook behind him to one side.

Tag was sniffing the air, finding the air conditioning kept a rather odd smell in it.  He didn\'t like this air for the same reason he didn\'t like the air at the supermarket, but this was different again.  He could smell a lot of different kinds of creatures on it, some of them made him uncomfortable about being here.  He moved closer to Kerr as a result.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:23:46 PM »
Noticing his charge huddling closer, Kerr placed a protective arm about his shoulders, giving him a reassuring smile and squeeze. When he looked back at the demon behind the desk, his expression was neutral. "It\'s regarding Tag, here. He\'s a bit... lost and I need to enquire about finding him a safe home. I\'m not sure which Oligarch is in charge of... people that shapechange into wolves, so I think Halen is best to point us in the right direction."

And if it inconveniences the ominpotent fucker, all the better. Send his ass down here to deal with little people and their problems, he needs the time away from his fuckwit, meddling informants anyway.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 02:39:55 PM »
The demon eyed Kerr, then Tag, then hesitated before picking up a phone and dialling three numbers.  He waited a moment, then said:

"I have the vampire Kerr here sir," he announced, though Kerr hadn\'t said his name.  Obviously he was now recognised on sight.  "He said he has a shifter with him, and requires assistance."

The demon looked at Kerr with his metallic gaze before nodding while saying:  "Right away, sir," and hung up.  "Halen is in the meeting room.  I understand you know the way, but I shall usher you and your... charge."

The demon moved around the desk and led Kerr on a familiar route to the same room he\'d been taken to when Mandy and Ben had been the issue of discussion.

[ Continued Here: Nerves ]
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :