Author Topic: The Bipedal Cigarette  (Read 1798 times)

JackSpikyFruit

The Bipedal Cigarette
« on: July 17, 2006, 01:13:49 PM »
“What’s your favorite color?”

“Green.”

“What’s your favorite number?”

“Twenty-four.”

“What’s your favorite food?”

“Chicken meat.”

“…uhm… what’s your favorite color?”

There was a pause, heavy and pregnant with growing frustration, before Griswold’s long, audible sigh weaved its way through like a truck trudging through snow.  Exhaling through his nose, the merchant set down the brass cup he had been polishing and raised his hairy hands to rub at his pulsating temples.  He was a patient man—patience was demanded when you had four, rowdy children—but Teague, and only Teague, had managed to ruffle even his heavy feathers.

Large hand enveloping his face, he leaned forward onto the stand, hard elbows digging into even harder wood, and looked up between the gaps of his thick fingers at the little, distracting devil now pacing back and forth before his stall.  In his mind, he prayed for god to zap the little bugger and make him disappear, because Teague’s talkative nature frightened customers away and that was bad for business.  

“Teague,” he ground out, “Don’t you, oh, I don’t know, have anything better to do?  You’ve been walking around here all day asking me the same questions every other five seconds.  It’s distracting me from the work that I have to do.  Why don’t you go bother the other merchants, huh?  They’re probably more interesting than me.”

The other merchants, whose ears naturally eavesdropped on their own, caught Griswold’s suggestion and sent the man threatening glares.  Teague was a common face down at the docks, but his uncanny talent for chasing customers away made him an unwanted ally for the merchants’ cause.  Only a few bothered to tolerate the smoke demon’s sporadic nature, including Griswold, who, at the moment, was now beginning to regret ever allowing the younger man within a three feet radius of his stall.  

“Don’t you have a job, Teague?  You know… work?  Something you do to make money?”  Griswold made a vague gesture in the air, presumably symbolizing cash.  

Speaking between the cigarette clinging onto his dry lips, Teague shook his head and said a bit too merrily, “Nope!  I don’t need money.  All I need are cigarettes!  They keep me alive!”  

Griswold’s neck drooped with exasperation and mild defeat.  How did someone this stupid manage to survive in a place like this?  “…Right.  Either way, today’s society demands that you get a job.  You can’t live on cigarettes no matter what you think, Teague.  You need money.  You need a job.  Teague?  TEAGUE!  Are you even paying attention!?”  Knowing how brief Teague’s attention span was, Griswold had thoughtfully kept the lecture short and to the point, but he had lost the younger man’s attention to a shiny, polished pocket watch long ago.  

Slapping his hand over the tiny trinket and grabbing Teague’s small chin with the other hand, Griswold forced the man’s attention back onto him.  “You’re going to find a job, okay?  If you don’t leave sooner or later, the merchants are going to chase you down and beat you up with their brooms.”

“But… I can’t get a job.” Teague pitifully whined.  “Nobody wants to hire me, because I forget things easily.”  And got distracted too easily, and talked too much, and lacked any enthusiasm to participate in anything that required any mental work.  

“Well, you’re going to get a job anyhow.  There are billions of people in the world, Teague, and one of them is going to hire you eventually.  You just have to find him… or her.”  Griswold offered a reassuring smile, but Teague was anything but comforted as he turned his back to the merchant and began to twiddle his fingers.  

Sensing the other’s distress, Griswold, the big-hearted oaf that he was, snatched one of his fliers and scribbled in large, blocky letters, whose l’s and d’s ended in slashing lines: “NEEDS A JOB”.  He then promptly taped the makeshift sign onto Teague’s back and gave the younger man an encouraging pat on the shoulder.  

“There.  Now every employer can see you from miles away.  Go buy a newspaper.  Look for job openings.  I’m sure someone will hire you, Teague.”  Despite the words, it was a pair of doubtful eyes that shifted onto Griswold’s face when Teague turned back.  

“You really think someone will hire me?”  He asked, reaching back to finger the sign flapping on the back of his coat.  

“Yes, I do.  Now get out of here, I have work to do.”  With that said, Griswold grabbed Teague by his narrow shoulders, pointed him in the direction outside of the market, and gave him shove.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: The Bipedal Cigarette
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 07:15:57 AM »
Zeb was trying to decide which direction to go next after consuming a coffee-flavoured ice cream cone that had left traces of its sugary sweetness on the sides of his mouth where he hadn\'t wiped. Spinning in a slow circle he was basing his decision on what captured his attention the most - the thing about spinning was, it amused him to see the world turning as it did, so instead of making a decision he continued to spin around.

What was happening at the stalls? The colourful display of strung triangular flags and the sound of them snapping in the brisk wind that pushed the briny scent around and chilled boardwalkers beneath their home-made knitted sweaters and store-bought hoodies.

Zeb wore a hoodie today, the hood up loose, pink and sparkly he\'d found it in the male\'s section and bought it once discovering it fit, not realising that somebody had picked it up out of the female section and left it in the wrong place just to dispose of it. The hoodie only had one customisation to it that Zeb had created - two slits at the back of the clothing, not that the purpose for them was needed right now, but it was always good to be prepared.

Now he was looking out over the ocean past the wooden posts fenced between with thick shipping chains to keep people from accidentally walking off the edge of the wooden platform. The waves were rough and choppy, a greeny-grey and the sky was overcast but not in a way that threatened rain. Zeb continued to spin. Street performer. Person giving him an odd look. Ice cream stall (he licked his lips), closed little boarded up shop, more people walking around and spending money, a balloon floating out of a child\'s grasp. He kept spinning, coming back to the stalls to see a young man being shoved towards him by a larger fellow, something flapping in the wind at his back. Offended by this display (and half reminded of being shoved towards the door by his own father this morning, barked at to amuse himself outside please and find someone else to annoy) he approached the other.

"I\'m Zeb," he informed the cigarette-wielding smoker, and wondering if this was going to be the someone else he was supposed to annoy. He wouldn\'t though, only his father ever got annoyed, everybody else just laughed.  He\'d already forgot about the flapping item on the other\'s back until the breeze picked it up and played with it for a moment before moving on. "What\'s that on your back?" he asked, moving around so he could see.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :