Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Frayed
« on: January 02, 2007, 04:17:08 PM »
Tissues... fucking tissues.  Where\'s the poetry in that?

The inane thought flitted repeatedly through Kerr\'s brain as he sat on the edge of his bed, staring directly at the wall in front of him. His gaze was turned inward though, his mind preoccupied with a thousand different thoughts and suppositions but always returning to the one; tissues.

It had been such a stupid and negligent action, to find a small plastic-wrapped pack of tissues tossed onto the cover of his bed - an item that very obviously belonged to Tag, his bedmate. Kerr hadn\'t thought anything of it as he\'d returned from his night at Risk, glancing at the stark white pack sitting on the dark quilt cover as he\'d walked into the room, already undressing. He\'d fed from a smoker, which he normally wouldn\'t but the boy had been blonde, charming and insistent - in some ways like Ben had once been - and so he\'d complied. The blood was fine but the vampire wanted a shower immediately, so he\'d made a beeline for the bathroom.

When he\'d returned, naked, he only briefly pondered the fact that Tag wasn\'t home and didn\'t appear to be planning to return while he was still awake. He did that a lot, though and Kerr found waking up beside the warm, clean-smelling shifter almost as nice as if they\'d lain down to sleep at the same time and got a chance to talk. The mortal always had questions and observations that Kerr couldn\'t predict (which delighted him) and their fall into slumber was always easy and often humourous in its companionship, whenever it magically aligned (not that it happened much anymore).

He didn\'t understand why Tag would betray him.

It had been many weeks since his visit to Declan, though it felt very recent. He\'d done exactly as he\'d planned upon exiting that house, and scoured the city looking for signs of Ben. There\'d been none. No accidents involving anyone matching his description in all the nights surrounding the one the Oligarch had implied was Ben\'s release date, no unidentified bodies submitted to the morgue, no trace of the nineteen year old being arrested. He\'d checked the hospital - the mental one, too - and had angered the clerk at the General to the point of him readying to call security to eject him. So much for avoiding Mandy at work and not counting on favours to get it done; he\'d Dominated the clerk and looked through everything himself, but there was only more nothing.

It had taken a while... more than a while, really... for Kerr to admit that it was hopeless. He didn\'t know where Ben had gone and could only assume that Sawyl had had something to do with it. He\'d interrogated the child calculatedly, knowing he would have to be very careful if he wanted truthful answers and approaching the situation appropriately.

Fat little hands whispered across his throat and beneath his hair, around the back of his neck, the little body connected to it circling Kerr\'s chair languidly, watching the movement of his feet along the carpet of his guardian\'s study as he went.

"What\'s up?" Kerr asked, keeping his mind deliberately clear and his voice even, though he knew this was likely to be the initiation he\'d been banking on. He and Sawyl had been together twice and Kerr anticipated that it wouldn\'t be long until his sire attempted to seduce him again - especially since the child had been soundly rejected the night before he\'d visited Declan.

"I\'m bored," he announced slyly, coming to rest against the right arm of the chair, hand still stroking Kerr\'s throat, groin \'inadvertently\' pressed against the large hand rounded over the rubber of his chair arm.

Kerr recognised the hungry look in the wide blue eyes and though he cringed from it internally, his expression remained impassive. "So go out and find something to do."

"I already
have something I want to do."

The adult examined the smile gracing the lovely bowed lips for a few moments, then met his gaze. It was just after midnight, Sawyl\'s favourite time to play; they both knew what he was saying but Kerr wouldn\'t make it easy for the child - especially since the last two times he\'d accepted the offer had been particularly low points in the cycle of his self-flagellation over the punishment and loss of his mortals. If he went willingly now, Wyl would be suspicious.

"Then go and do it."

"It involves you."

"I thought it might; I\'m busy."

"Still trying to locate that idiot?" Sawyl demanded waspishly, looking at the confusing jumble of information on the monitor in front of his progeny, unable (and unwilling) to decipher any of it.

"He\'s not an idiot," Kerr responded curtly, "and no; these are stock reports. I was just looking to see how much money we\'ve made."

"Boooooooooring."

"That\'s a very mature attitude to hold towards the primary source of
your income."

"Do we need more income? I thought we had plenty," the child droned, leaning more prominently against the hand on the chair, slouching against Kerr\'s desk and rolling a disinterested gaze to the monitor now over his shoulder and back again to meet Kerr\'s brown eyes.

"We... do.  But you never know when I might need to buy your way out of trouble."

A tinkling, appreciative laugh floated between them, causing Kerr to smile instinctively.  It was so obvious when Sawyl was
truly happy that he had to wonder why the child even attempted the sad imitation of it when he was merely being manipulative; couldn\'t he tell the difference? Wasn\'t it blatant to him how most things never leaked into his eyes unless he meant it?

"
I\'m not the one making the most trouble these days."

"Mmm."

"The Oligarchy don\'t even know my name."

"As far as
you know."

"Yes.  That far."

"It\'s very hard for me to see the screen with you posing dramatically in front of it, you know. You make a much better door than a window."

"Ohh... you can see through me."

"Don\'t touch that..."

"You know
exactly what I want."

"I need to finish reading these reports."

"Will they disappear if you take a short break?"

"You\'re never a short break."

"I\'m short."

"And not particularly funny.  I said don\'t
touch that."

"I
like touching you."

"I know and I\'m flattered, but I think we shouldn\'t-"

"I love you."

"And I love you, but that doesn\'t mean-"

"I love the way you get hard when I touch you, too."

"It doesn\'t mean anything."

"Really?  Then why are you swallowing like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you\'re having trouble concentrating on your stupid work."

"Because... "

"... yes?"

"Because I am, I suppose."

"Yep.  You don\'t even
want to work, do you?"

"I do, I just-"

"If you did, you wouldn\'t be this hard."

"That\'s only because of the way you\'re touching me, it doesn\'t mean anything."

"Oh?  So... if I... undo your zip..."

"Don\'t."

"and reach in like this... "

"I said-"

"Don\'t tell me you don\'t like
this," Sawyl murmured and Kerr fell quiet, watching as his stiff member was fished out of the top of his underwear and bobbed above his gaping jeans. It was a relief because the child\'s hands were more expert than he would ever admit and it had been confining within his clothes; having those same little digits playing skilfully up and down his length was an added reward. "There," the child hummed with satisfaction, glancing from Kerr\'s lap and up to his brown eyes proudly.

"We shouldn\'t, it hurts you."

"Only because you\'re so bloody big."

"No-"

"I
like it."

"You shouldn\'t, you were abused."

"Fucking hell, it was four hundred years ago!  Can\'t
you move on if I have?"

Kerr pressed his lips together, not wishing to anger his sire but needing to appear to fight it as much as he normally would (more, really, for Sawyl had approached him on a night when he wasn\'t at all upset). He was finding it very difficult to meet the blue eyes whenever they looked up at him, feeling the flush of drinking a blood bag an hour earlier colour his cheeks and a knot of desire curl behind his straining stomach muscles. He watched Sawyl silently, hating himself for staring at that small mouth, knowing what was coming.

"That\'s better," the little voice crooned, gripping Kerr\'s silky shaft with both hands and sliding them up and down slowly. "You like it."

"It\'s... difficult not to."

"I like it, too," he murmured, rubbing his crotch against the back of the adult\'s fingers.

"I can feel that," Kerr allowed, turning his hand over and cupping the much-smaller erection through Wyl\'s pants. He\'d been sired at eleven, at the first sign puberty would bring hair to his face and alter his melodious voice, but Angus had hung on that long because he\'d wanted as much growth as possible in the small penis. Erect, it had the girth of the tips of Kerr\'s first three fingers steepled together, and was nearly the length of his hand, mid palm to middle fingernail - but the brunette had large hands like he had large everything else, and so Sawyl\'s arousal wasn\'t anything to be sneezed at. His soft moan of pleasure at being invited to grind against a living being was a light breeze that curled down Kerr\'s guilty conscience and brought the full force of desire with it.

It was so hard to distinguish right from wrong when the case was Sawyl. He was correct when he said he was long ago broken and adjusted; it was Kerr who wasn\'t and couldn\'t. His love was a yoke he wished he didn\'t bear, for it would have made it far easier to resist the beautiful boy if his heart didn\'t swell every time he heard a contented noise drop from the red lips, if he didn\'t wish to make his beloved happy so damn much of the time. Love was a weapon, wielded as expertly as mind powers in Sawyl\'s temperamental hands, and Kerr wished desperately that he wasn\'t its victim.

That faded as soon as a tight mouth closed around the head of his cock and began lowering gradually.  
Everything about the boy was compact, his throat was no different and he had no qualms about getting Kerr as far down it as he needed to go. The only concession was that he had to do it carefully, for his jaw didn\'t spread very wide and his fangs were sharp. Kerr didn\'t care how slowly it all happened; his eyes closed, his head dropped back onto the high leather rest of his chair and his hand continued to work against the thrusts of his sire.

He didn\'t know how long it went on but he was instantly alert when it stopped and surprised when he looked down to find Sawyl undressing by his chair.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting naked."

"Because... "

"You\'re going to fuck me."

"... here?"

"Yes."

"In the chair?"

"Would you prefer the desk?"

"But-"

"Or the bed?"

"I... guess... here is fine but we\'ve got no lub-"

"Yes. We do," Wyl stated matter-of-factly, straightening up holding something he\'d extracted from his discarded pants pocket. He plonked it unceremoniously on Kerr\'s desk, then tugged at the adult\'s pants, wanting them gone and happy once they were around his hairy knees. In a very determined manner, he then applied lubricant and scrambled onto Kerr\'s lap, taking the time to fit his little legs into the gap beneath the chair arms around his guardian\'s hips, and then undo Kerr\'s shirt so that he could kiss and lick the rock-like muscles of the sculpted torso, revealed when it was parted.

Kerr\'s thoughts were stagnant, fixated on the fact that it wasn\'t right that a lover could crawl onto his lap and feel like he wasn\'t there, like he weighed very close to nothing. It was completely wrong to look over a smooth, pale chest with tiny brown nipples, down to a rounded white belly and a hard finger of a penis and anticipate having this insubstantial body - that barely reached his waist when they were standing - bring him erotic pleasure. It was
wrong and it didn\'t make any sense to him how he allowed it, why he didn\'t thrash with resistance and hurl the child away from him. There was nothing satisfying or enticing about having a baby imitate the actions of a horny adult - especially when it was a result of sickening abuse.

Thinking stopped when Sawyl lowered himself onto Kerr\'s dick, taking in absolutely everything he could and telling the adult
not to hold him up when there was very definite resistance before he reached Kerr\'s base, but the objection was ignored.

"You have enough inside you."

"I want it all."

"You can\'t take it all, love."

"Then give me what I can," the boy sighed, and gazed beseechingly up at his progeny, like an innocent asking for a candy and nothing more.

After a few seconds\' hesitation, Kerr got a grip on the small buttocks and did the moving for Sawyl, kissing him when fevered lips stretched upward, hating the way being buried in his ass felt so tight and good, pleased when the chubby hands working frienziedly on the smaller erection achieved their goal and his abdomen was covered with sticky semen. It was the precise moment he\'d been waiting for.

Though he was close as well, Kerr resisted succumbing to his own orgasm long enough to search his sire\'s mind. Coated in ecstasy as it was, it was an easy target to probe and Kerr was swift but... heartbroken when all his plans and concessions yielded nothing. Sawyl had no surface memories of Ben, no idea of his current whereabouts and only jaded, self-centred and jealous impressions left from long ago, when Kerr had first brought the mortal home.

It was all for nothing and when he surrendered his control, his cry was of anguish far more than it was a declaration of passion, and he\'d had to fight off tears.

Kerr sat up with a start, blinking repeatedly at the wall, realising he\'d begun to doze. He still sat on the edge of Tag\'s side of his bed but he\'d fallen into a slouch that had very nearly become horizontal in his exhaustion. The sun was up now, but the shifter still wasn\'t home. He needed something to keep him alert for when that happened, so that he could speak instantly to him.

Looking down at what he held in his hand did that.

Tissues... fucking tissues.  There\'s no poetry in that, no justice.

He\'d been contented and full after his night out, humming a little to himself as he turned his half of the covers down, then spied the tissues on the quilt again. He smiled indulgently and walked around to Tag\'s side of the bed, scooping the little packet up and leaning down to pull open the top drawer in the nightstand on his side to put them away. It wasn\'t opened nearly as frequently as Kerr\'s was and the angle of him leaning down from a standing position - rather than sitting and opening it more levelly - caused it to yank open harshly.

A small silver object had clanked immediately to the front of the drawer, bouncing off the vertical wooden face and then flipping back onto the bottom where it glinted quietly, sitting squarely in the middle of the drawer base and almost happily declaring its presence. Kerr had watched it, but been more intent on dropping the tissues inside and thinking about the fact that Tag really didn\'t have any important assets for himself, if all he had in his bedside drawer was a pack of tissues and a key.

A key.

Kerr froze, staring.  Not just a key; his key. His front door key. He recognised the unique pattern cut into it immediately and suddenly... he knew. He\'d picked it out slowly, closed the drawer and sat on the side of the bed to examine it, turning the key he\'d given Ben over and over in his fingers as he processed everything.  He thought despairingly of everything he\'d been through to try to find out where the mortal was and tried to justify exactly why the key was here, where Tag\'s few possessions lived.  Tried to rationalise it.

How long had it been here?  Tag had to know it was there - why had he said nothing?  Was it therefore Tag who\'d met Ben upon his release from Declan, and sent him away? Why would Tag do that?  How the fuck could he have not looked in this drawer in all this time, when he daily slept but a metre from it?

Of course, he kept coming back to the tissues, because it was all too overwhelming to compute on his own. There was no rationalising this, after all.  He had no answers, only questions that terrified him, emotions that made him shake if he let them take hold, and a lust for hurting Tag that needed dampening before the mortal returned. That was what he worked on, while he waited, staring at the key and fighting the urge to sleep with the daylight. The dullness made it easier not to hate, not to feel at all, really, but...

Tissues... fucking tissues.  Where\'s the poetry in that being the way I found out where he went?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Frayed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 07:07:10 AM »
Tag was sneaking in after the sun rose, knowing that Kerr would be asleep.  This was a routine the young shifter got into once he\'d started sleeping with Mandy, the woman he\'d met at Kerr\'s place while she\'d been healing from a whipping.  He knew the story for she\'d told him and Kerr had told him, but the reason why hadn\'t made sense to him and so the logic escaped him.

They\'d met again, purely by chance, and his initial attraction to her had been reacted to with an attraction to him.  It hadn\'t been long for Mandy to awaken Tag\'s untouched sexual desires and then they\'d found themselves in the midst of discovery, unable to keep their hands off one another, unable to stop themselves from practically living in her bed.

He\'d considered the fact that Mandy had used to belong to Kerr, but didn\'t see the harm in having her now that she was not with him anymore.  Thing was, Tag hadn\'t known how to ask Kerr\'s permission and didn\'t really want to in case the answer was in the negative.  He liked Mandy and refused to stop seeing her.  It was easier just to hide it from his mentor, simply because he could return in daylight, have a shower and slink into bed.

He entered the house quietly now, knowing how to work the alarm so that it didn\'t betray his presence, giving himself the ability to enter Kerr\'s bedroom and to use the ensuite.  He was very aware of the fact he reeked of sex and also who he\'d been with.  The couple had been very active before she had to get ready for work and he\'d had to return to Kerr\'s house.

Moving stealthily upstairs, he padded over to Kerr\'s room and entered, keeping his gaze fixed on the doorknob as he turned it slowly, opened and then slunk around the door itself, his back to the bed as he very carefully slid the door shut, not making a noise while he ensured the door was closed.  He turned again, facing the bed now to check if Kerr had stirred and flinched when he discovered the vampire sitting on the bed and not sleeping at all.

Jumbled, panicked thoughts entered Tag\'s head and he gave Kerr an extremely guilty look before glancing at the ensuite door, wondering if he could get into the shower without leaving behind a path of smell.  The thought occurred to him that he should really sneak out the door again (or fling it open and sprint out), but he wasn\'t sure that it would be a good thing.

With his back pressed against the door, Tag was left only with one option.

Face the music.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:19:44 PM »
Kerr watched him enter, head turned and unblinking, waiting until eye contact was made before he stood.  Tag looked incredibly guilty and the vampire wondered why, when there was no possibility he\'d looked at what he was holding.  The key was clenched painfully in the fist of his right hand - a reaction he\'d been unable to control when he first caught sight of Tag through the sliver of open door.  He\'d stayed motionless then, fighting off the impulse to leap and grab the boy, throwing him against the wall... it was a war he had to win.  He had to control his overactive emotions and this unusual tendency towards violence.

He walked stiffly over to the shifter (belatedly thinking it might have been better to get some clothes on before this confrontation transpired), stopping very close to him, aware that he was looming but unable to hold himself away to that degree.  "I need to talk to you about something," he said, pleased that his voice was calm and his gaze steady.

Tag\'s body language was screaming at Kerr that something was very wrong but it was only when he finished talking and he paused to give his charge a chance to respond that he was open to any other input.  It took a moment for him to place the scent, to process that it was familiar enough that he should know it, but he struggled with it because it wasn\'t something he associated with Tag and it was a leap to put the factors together.  Even when he did, he didn\'t trust it.

"Have you been... near Mandy?" he asked, frowning and pulling a face of confusion, feeling surreal even asking it.  He couldn\'t be sure it wasn\'t just the daytime and powerful memories and thoughts of Ben throwing him off... even though... that made no sense.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »
Tag shrunk against the door as Kerr approached, sidling across it and then along the wall away from him before he was stopped and held in place with nothing more than an intense gaze.  He whimpered deep in his throat at the mention of Mandy\'s name, expecting Kerr to be a flurry of jealousy, shouting or striking at him.  There was a brief memory of his time with another vampire, someone whose name he didn\'t remember, who had hurt him very badly when Tag had done something wrong - but not in a way that had left scars and certainly not in a way Tag couldn\'t recover, but still...

His heartrate pummelled his chest, a frenzied beating of bongos playing a tribal beat behind his ribcage, pulsing within him like he was host to the most tremendous danceclub in the city.  Even though he was scared and felt incredibly bad for betraying Kerr, there was still something left in him to form an actual reply, though it likely wasn\'t the sort of thing Kerr would want to hear.

"She likes me and I like bedding her."

His honest was brash but Tag didn\'t understand the concept of a lie, nor did he fully grasp the necessity for tact or diplomacy.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:56:51 PM »
Kerr\'s head turned to watch as Tag sidled away, assuming the boy stopped because he\'d passed the corner and was close to Kerr\'s dresser.  The vampire had no urge to follow, now that he\'d heard those words.

Sex... you knew it, even if you didn\'t want to admit it.  He\'s been inside her when you never got the chance.

His eyes narrowed, upper lip curling with disdain as he spoke.  Anger was so much easier to function through than despair, so he latched onto that emotion.  "You\'ve... been fucking her?  Mandy?" he asked, still unwilling to believe it.

He\'d figured out quite some time ago that Tag was sexually active and they\'d had a discussion about using condoms and contracting diseases that had ended in them both rolling around with laughter, simply because of the awkwardness of demonstrating and explaining to Tag how and when he should put the rubber on.

Had Kerr known the end result of his lesson would be his charge getting the woman he\'d wanted so desperately, he\'d never have found it funny.

Despite the shock of hearing this gut-wrenching news without preparation, part of him was, cynically, unsurprised and even relieved.  So much for Mandy letting him know where their relationship stood; she\'d obviously decided to fall out of love with him (which was where the relief came in) and move on with her life.  The fact that she\'d chosen to do it in this manner felt like a hideous blow that landed somewhere around his testicles, though, and the rage just continued to burn in his chest.

Now he was furious with her, too, his mind working in overdrive as he envisioned scenes of confronting her that ranged from cool and collected to nasty and violent, each of them soothing different jagged edges of the wounds festering inside him.  He didn\'t think his mind could take too much more of this shit, it was fucking ridiculous.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:25 PM »
The spoken words were brash and caused Tag to wince, especially since Kerr had never used such a tone with him before.  The only time when he\'d been told off was when Kerr was frustrated or exasperated with him, not angry.  The rage beneath his voice made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up, like hackles that wanted to raise.  He wished to growl in retun, to defend himself with a threat, but couldn\'t find it in himself to.  Kerr was his Alpha, and Tag had partnered with his mate, except-

"You put her away," he argued.  "You didn\'t go to her.  If you had, I wouldn\'t have."

This much was true for he respected the vampire.  This respect hadn\'t overwhelmed him to approach Kerr for permission, but mating with a woman he\'d cast aside without his knowledge was different to mating with his current partner.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 12:45:05 AM »
Just hearing the wolf shifter defend himself so brazenly caused Kerr\'s stomach to drop and the horrific knowledge that it was undeniable truth to take root in his heart.  Emotion pricked at his eyes and nose, making him think he was about to cry, his unbeating heart cringing in his chest.  Everything felt hollow and brittle.  He was brittle, ready to smash...

Alone.  I\'m so alone, oh, fuck I hate this, how do I get to live in a crowd and not get to be with anyone I want?  How do I decide to spend time with mortals and lose my fucking head so soundly?  How does Sawyl get to have everything he wants and I get fuck-all?  It\'s not supposed to hurt this much, losing\'s not meant to gut you, surely.

"She was supposed to let me know how it was!" Kerr yelled, offended by Tag\'s righteous declaration that it was he who\'d abandoned Mandy.  That wasn\'t how it had been at all!  Everything had been chaotic and awkward after the whipping and she\'d confessed deeper emotions than he was ready to deal with and... why the fuck was he even listening to Tag anyway?!

"You could have told me," the vampire snarled, fury vibrating through him once more, causing his voice to break and his fists to curl - that was when he remembered the key.  He stepped closer to his cowering charge and waved the silver object in his face, clasped between thumb and two finger tips.  It was a toss-up as to which object would contact the shifter\'s nose first - the key or Kerr\'s nose - so close was he.

"And what do you have to say about this?!" he bellowed, not explaining where he\'d found it or that he knew where it had come from, simply because he was too filled with hurt, anger and confusion.  Let Tag experience a miniscule amount of what he was going through via his rapid topic shift.  His own thoughts were flying from Mandy, to Ben, to Tag and back again and he was happy to share a little of his lack of peace.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »
Tag was pressed as far into against the wall and furniture at his back as it was possible when Kerr yelled at him, so much that it felt like he was sinking into unyielding material, being absorbed by it.  It must\'ve looked that way as well, as he made himself small, huddling into himself.

He had no argument for not telling Kerr.  He knew he\'d done wrong there and so pressed his lips together before looking down at the ground between Kerr and himself, not that he could really do more than shift his gaze without touching his forehead to the vampire\'s.  He didn\'t want to brush up against Kerr, in case the physical contact set off something else in the other, causing him to possibly show Tag that he was the greater physical presence, that he could squash the shifter without nary a thought.

Tag\'s gaze lifted as Kerr asked his opinion on \'this\', whatever it happened to be, and he found himself looking at a key that made no sense to him.  He couldn\'t remember where it had come from and even that it had would\'ve been found in his drawer.  With no memory (because Ben\'s crucial moment of handing it over had no impact on Tag) and also no understanding of how important it would be to Kerr, he found himself staring at the vampire blankly, unable to answer.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:10:06 PM »
When he was merely stared at, Kerr had to bite down on his anger, seeing that he was antagonising

scaring him

Tag to the point that he wasn\'t going to get any answers at this rate. Definitely none that helped him, let alone ones that he liked. He had to let go of the Mandy stuff, to prioritise what he wanted to hear most. Gritting his jaw, he leaned back so that he was no longer in the mortal\'s face, exercising possibly the greatest effort of will he might ever have, in all his years. He squared his shoulders, watching until the shifter seemed a bit less intimidated.

"Forget about Mandy for the time being," he advised, feeling that the words were directed at himself as much as Tag. His voice was tight with emotion, but controlled. After a few moments\' pause, he lifted the key again, suspending it between them so that the shifter could focus on it more easily. "This is a key to the front door. I found it in the top drawer of your nightstand. I want to know where you got it from - did a boy named Ben give it to you? Did he come to the house and use it one day - or a night when I wasn\'t here?" the vampire growled succinctly.

Yes, he\'d abandoned the notion that Tag should share his confusion and offer his story voluntarily. The mortal was obviously too upset to manage that, at this point; hopefully the complete opposite tactic (giving details he\'d surmised or knew) would work more in his favour.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:27:54 PM »
When Kerr moved on from Mandy, Tag was relieved. He thought that anger was gone and could be forgotten now, and he was pleased that Kerr had got over it quickly. He released breath he hadn\'t realised he was holding, and though Kerr still sounded angry, he didn\'t sound as angry, so the shifter listened as closely as he could.

Kerr used a name Tag knew, and he repeated it because it sparked a memory, one that had seemed unimportant. The shifter was eager to please, to sate Kerr\'s thirst for information in the hope that it would appease him further.

"Ben," he said, giving the name back to Kerr. "Give key to Tag." He was lapsing back into his old speech patterns under duress, but still wanted to let Kerr know he was trying hard. There was no other message from Ben that Tag could remember. "Came here and went away."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »
Kerr\'s eyelids pressed closed as his theory was confirmed, a lump of undefined origin welling and lodging in his throat. He remained still and silent for a few moments, attempting to gather himself and maintain the cool facade. When he spoke next, his voice was hoarse but he didn\'t clear it, too afraid a sudden noise might spook Tag now that he was giving information that the Irishman wanted.

"Show me - remember, please," he instructed, using the hand that held the key to describe a revolution in the air, indicating that he wished the shifter to bring forth the memory of Ben \'coming and then going away\' so that he could observe mentally.

The strain of control and staying awake in daylight was taking its toll on him, but he was certain he could watch easily and dig... if he had to. It would depend on how much he needed to help Tag\'s memory along, for mortal recollection and accurate retrieval were rarely aligned unless a vampire forced a cohesion in the two consciousnesses - but if the shifter\'s recall was vivid, it would be okay. Knowing Tag, Kerr doubted that that would be the case, however, so he was prepared to take a domineering hand from the outset.

The memory he was first offered was simplistic in the extreme and had an air of inaccuracy about it, because Tag decided to splice together the part where Ben said his name and then handed over the key. The factor that tipped Kerr off to how grossly separate these moments were, was the expression on the blonde\'s face as he did it.

"No... properly, take your time," the vampire growled and waited for Tag to start over again. Once that occurred, he basically took control (as he\'d known he would have to), watching as the front door was pulled back to reveal the mortal he\'d spent so long fretting over. That moment was particularly poignant for Kerr and he swayed where he stood, finding it difficult to process the first \'sight\' of Ben, wrangle Tag\'s flippant thoughts and keep track of what he was seeing. After a moment, he regathered himself and watched avidly, seeing Ben\'s every reaction through different eyes than the ones he was using, understanding the way he flinched and the nature of the questions he asked Tag all too well.

The handing over of the key wrenched his heart, the vividness of it making Kerr want to reach out and stop him from turning away... but Tag had merely closed the door and wandered back to the sandwich he\'d been making in the kitchen, unaware of just what had transpired.

Kerr swallowed with difficulty as he stopped watching the shifter\'s mind and instead looked levelly at him. "You\'re an insensitive fool, Tag," he criticised roughly, too upset to remain where he was any more. He wheeled away and perched on the closest corner of his bed, elbows resting on his knees, fingers in his hair, either side of his head as he supported it, staring at the carpet and succumbing to the tears he\'d been fighting. He cried quietly, not sniffling, watching the small, bloody droplets hit the carpet without flinching, thoughts turned inward.

He\'d lost his fury now, convinced his assessment of Tag was completely correct. He didn\'t care how alien civilisation was to the mortal; the way he ignorantly trod on Kerr\'s life wasn\'t fair and smacked of a heartlessness the vampire would never have believed possible from his previously-loving charge. He\'d slept with Mandy - had been for some time now, by the looks - and hadn\'t ever bothered to say anything to Kerr. He\'d been faced with a man - a stranger, yes, but a visitor who handed over a key, for fuck\'s sake! - who asked specifically after him and whose expression declared how upset he was and Tag had merely closed the door on him.

Never bothered to mention that, either. Kerr couldn\'t believe that Tag was an idiot, he was therefore the most ego-centric, insensitive mortal that the vampire had ever had the bad luck to meet. And house. Such things needed to change though, obviously. He couldn\'t even look at the boy anymore, let alone contemplate sharing a bed with him.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 11:57:19 PM »
Tag, whose world had always revolved around himself and would continue to do so even when surrounded by other beings closest to his own kind (as opposed to the animal kingdom), believed that after being told he was an insensitive fool (the former he didn\'t have the fullest grasp of the severity of it, and the latter he believed was merely a continuation of the outpouring of Kerr\'s anger) that it was the end to the accusations and conversations.  In a way, he was right, for Kerr would no longer bother pursuing him.  Kerr\'s mental assessment of him was correct as well, for Tag didn\'t think of others before himself and likely never would.  Empathy or sympathy were foreign concepts.

He moved towards the ensuite doorway, completing his desire for a shower, only now it wasn\'t to hide so much as remove the sweat from himself and also to relax from the nervousness.  He wasn\'t so simple as to believe Kerr was completely over it, but he believed the worst had passed and they would be able to continue as they were.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 12:55:01 AM »
When Tag made no comment but headed for his bathroom

to shower like he always did whenever he came home from fucking her, so you\'d never suspect exactly who he\'d been screwing, never think to lower your superior standards and search his mind for an idea.  Never suspect

Kerr broached a whole new threshold of emotion.  It was beyond angst, despair and even fury; it was white hot and eerily calm in its smooth envelopment of his soul.

In the small time the vampire had had to process the story from Ben\'s side (based on what he\'d seen on the mortal\'s face, through Tag\'s eyes) and indulge the images he could conjure of Tag and Mandy fucking (before the shifter returned to shower and sleep blithely by his side), Kerr found hatred.

"No," he hissed at Tag, lowering his hands from his head but remaining glaring at the floor as he straightened, tension re-entering his shoulders and stiffening his spine.  He was unable to stomach the sight of the mortal, though it felt unnatural not to deliver the words bubbling inside him with eye contact. His fists curled slowly atop his knees, the key biting a familiar pattern into his hand.  He didn\'t feel it.  "Don\'t you go in there.  Don\'t go anywhere near my things again," he snarled, his new companion - hatred - lacing his voice with a bestial growl that didn\'t brook argument.

Kerr had moved away from Tag in the lull between his emotions peaking and his thoughts being processed; he wouldn\'t do it again.  The urge to hurt was back and he knew he\'d kill Tag if the shifter didn\'t get himself the fuck out.  He was done with the boy using his life as a doormat, treating two impossibly special and wonderful connections he\'d managed to make with his own unique and haughty ignorance.  No excuse imagined could be voiced to explain away his selfishness in these matters.  Kerr hated him purely for what he\'d done and as much as he\'d once cared for the shifter and was aware of the burden of responsibility he bore towards the Oligarchy for promising to look after him, it meant nothing.

Like everyone but Tag meant nothing to Tag.

"Get out of my house.  Go back to your bitch, go back to the woods, live on the streets; I don\'t fucking care right now.  I\'ll go to the Oligarchy and tell them I\'m done with you, just... get out.  Now."

Every word he spoke resonated with passion, each one lowering in timbre as he began to vibrate with his emotions.  It was late, he was exhausted and he had no more reserves to play it nice.  He was beyond rational and could no longer explain away his charge\'s insensitivity as innocence to the way people lived - nor did he care to.  Tag had betrayed him and if he didn\'t get himself away within the next few minutes, he\'d pay for that with his life.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 05:55:30 AM »
Tag\'s more primal instincts picked up on the threat in Kerr\'s voice and he was astonished by it, total lack of understanding why Kerr would be this angry.  He didn\'t think it had anything to do with Ben, but once again made the association of Kerr\'s anger to be about Mandy.

Why would he not have reacted this way immediately?  It didn\'t make sense.  Tag picked up on the hostility very easily, the danger to himself was as apparent to him as his selfish nature was now to Kerr.  Looking hurt, betrayed, confused and a little resentful, Tag backed away from the bed and turned to a drawer where he kept his shorts, his gaze never leaving Kerr.

He knew the vampire was restrained but also tired and edgy.  He knew there was a risk he\'d be attacked, for the first vampire he\'d been with had displayed the same emotions - only not held back at all.  He dressed even as he walked to the bedroom door, and decided to let Kerr know that he was going to be with Mandy, if the vampire wished to find him again.  Upon turning in the doorway and looking upon Kerr, he could tell that givnig him Mandy\'s name was likely not the best idea for his own protection, and simply left.

Unless Kerr sought him out, that would be the last they\'d see of each other.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
Once he knew Tag was out of the house entirely, Kerr could relax enough to stand up and reset the alarm system out in the hall.  Whether Sawyl liked it or not, he would be changing the code now; he didn\'t want the shifter and his bitch (for that was how he bitterly liked thinking of Mandy) having any sort of knowledge of this house anymore.  Fuck them.

He snuck away from the dimly filtered light of a bright, sunny morning seeping into the foyer and back into his bedroom as soon as that was done.  He spent a few moments ensuring no lights were on, before flopping gratefully upon his mattress, landing on his stomach.  He stared into the milky darkness of his bedroom, exceptionally weary but strangely unable to sleep.

Not so strangely, really.  In the wake of upheaval, who would sleep soundly and instantly?  Sawyl, probably.  Kerr mused over inane things before he broached the processing of Tag and Mandy, and then Tag and his interaction with Ben.  Such a brief and ironic happening, he hated the fact that he\'d searched and wondered for months, only to find out that carelessness had been the barrier to him knowing at least that Ben was all right.

It was such a bitter pill to swallow.  Now he knew that Ben had made effort to see him again - had been eager and hopeful when he\'d come, fact - but been spurned, apparently thinking Tag was blocking him from seeing Kerr.  The vampire played the scene over and over, watching the way the blonde\'s face crumpled when he asked how long Tag had lived there, obviously thinking... what?  That he and Tag were lovers?

If Ben and Kerr had known each other longer than six nights, he might\'ve dismissed Ben thinking that, for Ben would know him better.  The problem was, Ben didn\'t and it was perfectly understandable that he believed Tag was a mortal who now lived in Kerr\'s house... probably as a pet and likely as a lover, since the vampire had gone to all the trouble of reassuring the blonde that he didn\'t have anything against relationships with men.

More fool him.

Eventually, exhaustion overcame Kerr and he drifted into a restless sleep, planning vaguely how he\'d go to the Oligarchy as soon as the sun sank, and make an appointment to see the Shifter Oligarch the following night.  He\'d pack all of Tag\'s things and have Sawyl deliver them to Mandy\'s too - he didn\'t want any more reminders.  It was time he started putting away his hopes (now that he knew them to be hopeless) and started accepting the situation he was in, rather than pining for one he might have had.

Life just didn\'t work out as expected fpr some vampires and he was destined to be one of them.