Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Talking to Ravens  (Read 12991 times)

sagedistorm

Re: Talking to Ravens
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 03:52:30 AM »
Zane only chuckled. At least someone was able to see the bigger picture. "I\'m housed in Purifico, but I am absolutely not a part of this school. No offense, but I am not a killer and I do not wish to become one. Why the headmaster of this place does not honor my letters telling him so, I do not understand."

He had been sending letters since before he even arrived to the doorstep some time ago about his status in relation to the academy. He never got anything back--he\'d never even seen the headmaster (or mistress as it were).

"At any rate those boys were mad--feral even--because two of them (the leaders of that bunch, I presume) created an impromptu-type battle against me (had it approved by some high apprentice, naturally) in the arena where I was to stay on one quarter of the entire field as they had full mobility...

"Had I not fought, I would have been made to do nasty chores and other such things. I did not have to win, just had to fight. I was not going to lose just to get out of it and have some nasty bruises so I won without taking a scratch." He demonstrated this with a hand gesture that was supposed to convey a slick escape.

"To end my tale, I suppose the boys got their friends and took to terrorizing me... Why are you here?"

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 10:22:31 AM »
Kio tapped his lip. "I\'m not sure there is a headmaster..." he said, thinking back to his time here. No, no, he\'d never seen one... Rarely seen any of the high masters, either, and those were about as close as one got, he supposed. "Try the High Master of Purificio, perhaps. At least we can be fairly sure he exists," the shifter said, a bit of a laugh in his voice.

Ah, that kind of thing, Kio thought, nodding as he listened to Zane\'s story. "If you can escape a battle so easily, you probably could have gotten out of whatever chores they tried to shove on you too," he said, grinning. His expression turned serious afterwards, though, and he frowned a little. "Who was that high apprentice, though? I\'m sure that\'s not allowed," the white-haired boy said, brows knitting slightly in concern. After all, Zane might be able to manage such a slick escape, but many other students couldn\'t. If such grudge-battles were condoned, what would happen to the less-capable among them?

On the one hand, it would "cull the herd", as it were. The weaker ones would not be able to win, or perhaps even survive, the battles, and the stronger would gain respect and momentum. The flaw in that, though, was the variability of living organisms. Someone could be very weak when they first arrived, or perhaps even for several years afterwards, only to later turn out to be a very powerful assassin. To promote such "cullings" before everyone was on the same page was potentially very wasteful, and the curriculum itself got rid of everyone who really couldn\'t make it here anyway.

Kio shook himself lightly, remembering Zane\'s question. In answer, he gestured back to the ravens. "To visit them - Gold particularly, but all of the flock," the student said fondly. One raven hopped over, stretching its wings and cawing at him. Kio laughed and reached into his pocket, pulling out a piece of a cookie. he said to the bird, who snatched it from him before taking off. Kio smiled at her as he flew; she was prickly, but one of Kio\'s favourites.

sagedistorm

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 02:25:36 AM »
(OOC: Ugh... grogginess hurts)

He made a small snicker. "It doesn\'t matter who I tell. I\'m not part of the house. As far as I can see it, it\'s like a small country being bossed by a HUGE country but refuses to assimilate." Then he sighed. Putting it that way, it was almost futile to continue his campaign. But he was not stubborn enough to stop.

"They\'re beautiful," Zane said, though kept his distance. He was more of a cat person than bird. He did not think they were unintelligent; quite the contrary. The thoughts he got from them were as sharp as a humans\'. It wasn\'t easy to see why such birds were regarded as intelligent.

I\'d best not agitate them, he thought. He was not going to be the one with a bunch of bruises and claw marks down his skin.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 04:02:26 AM »
Kio smiled, really smiled. It wasn\'t that his previous smiles had been fake, but just that this time, Zane had touched on something the shifter really cared about instead of something merely amusing or enjoyable. "Thank you," Kio said quietly, listening to the far-off noises made by his flockmates on the ground. He heard a distant cry of as another raven fluttered down to join the others, who were eating in... Almost a line...?

Kio\'s brow knit slightly. A line... Suggesting that the crumbs are in a line... Venorik? the white-haired boy wondered, his light blue-purple eyes wary. Kio hoped that it hadn\'t been, but he knew no one had... Except Zane, that was. "Did you carry bread or anything like it with you?" Kio asked, the question seeming a little bit sudden. Still, he would have to have come from the kitchens, and Kio had heard him running through the ruins of this tower, not from there.

It\'s a very odd gesture, if it was Venorik, Kio thought, puzzled as to what the point was. He didn\'t want to believe that it was Venorik\'s doing at all, let alone a purely malicious gesture, but... who knew? That was why he was asking Zane. Maybe he knew how they\'d gotten there.

sagedistorm

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 04:20:50 AM »
Zane smiled as well. Smiling was infectious, it seemed. He was only smiling because Kio smiled, he was sure — but was that not reason enough, was it? His thoughts simmered over that for a moment. Then something caught his ear.

"Did you carry bread or anything like it with you?"

"No," Zane answered, about to look into the sun but instead averting his eyes to the ravens who\'d began eating. "But it seems to me that these ravens would have devoured these crumbs a while ago..." More points to the birds on intellect. They knew how to conserve food for themselves. Excellent! He was really beginning to respect birds — ravens, more so.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »
Kio\'s furrowed brow deepened. He only had one plausible suspect, and that was Venorik. A shame, the shifter thought, that he should turn out to be so like the stereotype. But then, stereotypes did exist for a reason... I shouldn\'t be so quick to trust, should I? Kio thought sadly. He wished that they could get along with each other, at least within the school.

"It seems as though there are many crumbs, though... And I don\'t think they\'ve been there long," Kio said suddenly. It was true that ravens didn\'t take more than they needed at any given time, though, and that, within the flock, they made sure everyone got some. In fact... The cry rang from the ground, and the raven that had called it had used a particular inflection to imply that those on the rooftop should come join them, if they wanted any. Kio smiled. "They do care for their own," he said, watching as most of the birds on the rooftop hopped over to the edge, then glided down to the trail.

Kio called to one of the birds as it flew off. The raven just cawed back a simple yes before continuing down to the ground. If those crumbs were oatmeal cookie crumbs, Kio would be nigh sure it was Venorik.

sagedistorm

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 01:18:29 AM »
Zane was never one to think something was odd about anyone--especially if it was someone he had just met. But Kio\'s sudden attention-shift really caused him to think that something might be up. Kio\'s distracted voice did not help calm Zane\'s suspicions; that, and the influx of mental activity (avian and otherwise).

"Who\'s Veronik?" Zane asked suddenly. He mentally chastised himself. While he could block thoughts from entering his mind consciously, they sometimes took him by surprise. During these times, his judgment of what he knows versus what surrounding people know is nulled and void. This was the life of a psion--having to be conscious every waking moment, having to see 360-degrees in every direction at any--no, every--given moment.

"Sorry," he said lowly.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 05:50:12 AM »
Kio was surprised at first, but immediately chided himself lightly. Psion, right, the shifter thought, smiling quietly at himself. In truth, Kio should have expected Zane to ask something sooner. I\'ll have to be more aware.

"He\'s someone I met earlier this morning," Kio said simply, sighing. "Someone who, it seems, is not very nice. I believe he just tried to get me in trouble. It\'s a shame," the white-haired boy continued, looking out towards the horizon. Kio\'s sharp ears caught the soft "sorry" that followed Zane\'s question as well, and he couldn\'t help but wonder why he sounded so... sincere, though that wasn\'t the right word, about it. Kio could assume, given the apology, that Zane hadn\'t meant to hear his thoughts - but he had, which made in an accident.

"Don\'t apologise for things you didn\'t mean to happen. It\'s part of being a psion, right?" Kio said, turning around to smile up at Zane. So long as Zane didn\'t try to break into his head, Kio wouldn\'t mind. No one could help who they were - it was like Kio\'s fascination with things that shone. It was a part of who he was, and deserved no apology. Though... It was nice of him, the shifter thought, his eyes softening as he looked at Zane. The guy really did seem nice - nice, and not at all cut out to be an assassin. I feel bad for him, that he\'s forced to be here, Kio thought, though it seemed Zane had adapted even to this fairly well.

sagedistorm

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »
"Trouble, huh?" asked Zane softly. Kio was entirely too sweet to have enemies, Zane thought. Who could possibly wish ill on the soft-spoken (and quite cute, Zane added) white-haired boy before him? Obviously, this Veronik. That would not do. Zane made a note not to forget the name.

"I suppose it is," he answered. But such mistakes could be costly. He could trip up extremely badly one day and... The fact that he thought like that scared him. He was already thinking up applications that could possibly be used for killing-work, as he sometimes called it. But just as Kio mentioned, accidents happened.

Anything could be used for the killing arts, so if he started the line there then he was already an assassin. The ability to bend over backward could be considered an ability useful to assassins, swimming, climbing, navigating, mechanical savvy--he would certainly have to squash that mentality before it started, lest he become a vegetable.

"What are we going to do about this Veronik-character, then?"

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 02:16:42 AM »
Kio could see that something was troubling his friend, and he wondered what it could be. The shifter cocked his head up towards Zane, his bluish eyes patiently asking the question so that his words wouldn\'t have to. "What is it?" they said, though their softness also allowed for Zane to elect not to answer. Such was the beauty of body language, and silence. Kio hoped that Zane would pick up on it, though it was rare to meet someone who wouldn\'t understand questions given through the eyes.

Do? Kio thought, somewhat surprised. "I... wasn\'t planning on doing anything," the white-haired boy responded thoughtfully. Kio was thinking both about himself and about Zane - himself, who despite being an assassin in training didn\'t want to do anything about the problem, and Zane, who despite being famous for his refusal to learn the art of killing was asking Kio what they (not he but they) should do about Venorik. It was a rather curious role-reversal, but one Kio found to be very endearing. "...Thank you," the shifter said, blinking up at Zane. It wasn\'t often anyone offered help in return, or showed they cared in such a way. Then again, Zane could be like Venorik - someone who looked okay but turned out to be quite the opposite. Kio regretted the fact that he would have to keep that thought in mind.

Kio turned back to the vista before him, just thinking for a couple of moments. Soon after, he spoke again. "What would you do?" he asked, truly curious as to what answer Zane would give. It was always telling, the answer to this sort of a question, even if it turned out to be a lie in the end. Another thing Kio regretted having to keep in mind.

sagedistorm

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 04:42:47 AM »
Zane exhaled softly, "I s\'pose it\'s not much," he said, letting his breaths carry his words as he went into thoughts of his own, "but if this guy was causing trouble for me, I would probably run - running is a form of self defense - until it got to a point where I was forced into confrontation."

He made a sound between a chuckle and a choked gag. "Of course, I\'m well-practiced in the art of retreat," he said, making it sound as if it were truly an art that was revered. "But that\'s just me," he finished lamely.

He leaned on the wall near the window, gazing over the grounds and avoiding staring at the sun with a conscious effort. The pull of the Life-Fire was great, but he decided that he would respect the thoughts of his new friend concerning his vision. He almost didnt even notice the ravens that were so close to him.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 07:35:18 AM »
Kio nodded. That was what he had expected, really. It made more sense that Zane would be more pacifistic. Still, the advice wasn\'t anything Kio really felt as though he had needed. Running from Venorik would be useless, as he doubted the other would deign to chase him. "I suppose I\'ll simply stay out of his way when I can, and leave him to his own when I can\'t," Kio responded, smiling softly. "I don\'t think it will come down to having to run. Venorik didn\'t seem the type - though," the shifter continued thoughtfully, "I\'ve certainly been wrong before..."

Kio sat in silent contemplation, Zane apparently doing the same beside him. The white-haired boy wondered whether Zane\'s current way of life bothered him, something he\'d been prompted to think due to the strange choking noise the other had made after admitting to be a master of retreat. "It is good, I think, to live peacefully," Kio finally said. It was something he thought it truth, too - it simply wasn\'t a way of life that he had open to him. A shame, but not something he lamented. "If you can do so... do." The shifter looked up at Zane, and smiled. He really did wish him the best.