Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: New Arrival  (Read 16728 times)

Price

New Arrival
« on: May 25, 2007, 06:31:33 AM »
Kaje walked in and dropped his bags about two feet in the door.  He was already pissed that he had to carry the damn things himself like some street trash.  Now he stood there and not a soul around to even greet him.  He was sure he gave his parents specific instructions to have everything ready and prepared for his arrival.

Well at least this place looks nice, not like his dumb school back home with its old rickety desks and smoke stained walls.  

He still believed his parents had shoved him in that rotten place to punish him, but now it seems they came to their senses and found him a proper place to study.  He walked off from his bags and started to inspect the entrance hall.  He ran his fingers over the banister leading up higher than he could tell from the bottom.  There was a bell that finally caught his attention.

Hmm…wonder what would happen if I pushed that thing around.  Maybe I could finally get some service around this place.

He tossed around the idea, maybe he could wander around and check the place out himself.  If they were so careless about leaving this place unattended, he may have to take advantage of it.

Better not, having no idea what to expect in a place like this, I cant very well be starting off with a bad impression.  I will find my way around later, for now, I will get someone’s attention.

He pulled the bell and shouted, “Hello?”

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: New Arrival
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 03:57:38 AM »
Ravi had been running a quick errand for Faris, just a simple delivery, and he was just returning now. He noticed the boy long before he neared the entrance, especially given his birds-eye view of his surroundings. New guy? Ravi guessed, shifting to his human form in the middle of the sky. It didn\'t effect his flight in the slightest, and he figured this form would be less likely to freak the kid out - he looked human. Might not be, but he looked it. Ravi could check for sure once he landed.

And he landed pretty soon, purposefully making a small fluttering noise as he came to rest on the ground. Again, it was just polite. Ravi cocked an eyebrow at the boy before him. "Aren\'t you a little old for a newcomer?" Ravi asked, his voice playful. The demon flicked his wings, settling them on his back in a more comfortable way. As relaxed as he looked, Ravi was ready to move in any direction in case this guy turned out to be an enemy of some sort. Oh yeah... if he was an enemy, Ravi was going to take him apart.

But then, he didn\'t really get that feeling from him. The kid seemed untrained, a little bratty... and, once Ravi reached out his senses a little more, entirely human with a flair for magic. At least he\'d known enough to not just walk in. Someone might have knocked him out on the spot - never knew what a newcomer might mean. Ravi was willing to take the risk for now, though. The guy just seemed confused.

Price

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:14:09 AM »
Kaje turned around at the sound of movement behind him, followed by a voice.

"Excuse me?" was all he said at first.  The first thing he noticed were the wings and the way the moved.  His first reflex was to return the insult back even knowing the guy was not purposely being insulting.  He bit his tongue, for now.

"First off, Id have been here long time ago had my parents not been incompetent. Second, what exactly -are- you?" he spoke with no regret for his harsh tone.

Waiting for an answer, he quite blatently stared at the creature in front of him, half tempted to go up and just start inspecting him.  He had little contact with other species but had seen a few in his life, though, none like this one.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:51:55 PM »
Ravi added another adjective to his short list of what the guy seemed to be: rude. The tone of his voice betrayed that much, at least. You\'re probably like that to everyone, aren\'t you? Ravi thought, tilting his head slightly to the side, Not a very good way to be, here. Those people who couldn\'t be nice usually just shut up. This guy would probably have trouble doing that, though - he was pretty old. Looked to be in his late teens, which meant that all the primary personality stuff was already there. He\'d be able to do it if he really wanted to, though... After all, with enough willpower, one could manage it. Ravi had!

All your parents fault, huh? Ravi wondered. Well, if that was how he wanted to see it... Not a very important thing, though. The second part of his statement was the one that concerned Ravi more. It was also just after Kaje finished speaking that Ravi remembered - this must be the guy Faris had been talking about a couple days ago! Older, human, and joining Purificio. Ravi\'s House.

"Me? I\'m a High Apprentice from Purificio - the House you\'re joining," Ravi said in that same slightly playful tone. Kaje\'s rudeness hadn\'t really put him off; after all, he wasn\'t starting fights, and that was the more important thing. Plus, with Ravi\'s luck, Faris would assign him to this new guy. Sometimes Ravi was asked to do things like that... Who knew? Whatever the case, the guy was going to be living nearby; better to make friends than enemies. "And you\'re... Kage?" the demon continued, racking his brain for a moment to remember what the guy\'s name was.

Price

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 01:02:57 AM »
Price bit the side of his cheek lost in a thought after the guy in front of him let him know he was a High Apprentice. Whatever that was, it sounded important. Kaje knew if he wanted to stay he was gonna have to suck it up and learn to bite his tongue till he knew who everyone was.

Anything to keep from going back to that hell of a household with -them-

Kaje cleared his throat and bowed his head before speaking, "Please excuse my previous tone, if I offended you.  My name is Kaje, yes.  I am sure I will enjoy being in your class."

He glanced around the entrance hall and back to the High Apprentice, "Nice place, here.  So, do you have a name?  How am I to address you?"

Shoving his hands deep in his pockets, he still thought about what exactly this High Apprentice was.  

At least, he is good looking.  

If he was gonna be learning under someone it was nice to enjoy looking at them.

Once he cleared his mind of that, he started to wonder where he would be staying, and more questions came behind that one.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:58:42 AM »
Ravi raised an eyebrow, though his smile remained in place. What a sudden change of heart, the demon thought, chuckling softly. "Kaje..." Ravi repeated softly, correcting his pronounciation slightly. At least he\'d been close, though. Kaje hadn\'t even actually corrected him. Then again, the guy seemed like he was keeping his tongue in his cheek - probably a good idea. Most people around here wouldn\'t have taken too kindly to that tone.

"Well, we won\'t be sharing classes, but I\'m probably going to end up helping you out. Part of the job description," Ravi responded politely, giving a small bow in return before moving to lean against the wall. "As for what to call me, just Ravi\'ll do."

Kaje sure seemed to be confused, and a little wary of Ravi... Then again, Kaje probably didn\'t know what a High Apprentice was. There\'s no way he does, actually. He mentioned "classes", the demon thought, looking upwards curiously before refocusing on Kaje. "Why\'d you come here?" Ravi asked. It wasn\'t often they got beginners older than 10 or so, so one who looked to be in his late teens was pretty rare.

Ravi began to walk, moving towards the Purificio section of the student dorms. He gestured for Kaje to follow as he did, his movements friendly. "I\'ll show you the dorms. You probably don\'t have a room assigned, so we\'ll just find a free one," Ravi said, sighing when he remembered that there was, indeed, a free room - right in the middle of the area he was responsible for. Guess I was right, the demon thought, glancing back at the new student, On the bright side, he\'s eye-candy. Ravi could appreciate that. "Got any questions? I help out the students, so..." the demon continued, shrugging lightly.

Kaje probably didn\'t notice at first, but Ravi\'s movements were entirely silent. Unless he was actively speaking, it was impossible to hear him - even breathing. Only a classy Confuto would be able to catch a sound, and that would most likely be his heartbeat, nothing more...

Price

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 03:52:05 AM »
Kaje thought long and hard about how to answer the question he was asked regarding his presence in the Academy.  There were several reasons but if he were honest, the most pressing was simply because he had wanted it.  

"I suppose I am here because I have a thing for magic, well, that and because the schools where I come from are absolutely horrid." he gave a small laugh, his first since he had arrived and they were rare at best, but he needed to keep the interaction friendly.

He picked up his bags and followed at Ravi\'s prompt, again biting his tongue at the idea of carrying them himself.

Guess I better get used to this, her let out a quiet sigh as he heaved the bags over his back.

"So, Ravi, what does everyone do around here?  Or is it study study study?"  he was curious if there was any fun to be had, or if he was going to have to make his own, which he was pretty good at.

He was curious about the dorms.  He\'d heard that it was possible he would have to share with another, which was actually okay with him so long as it wasnt some know it all he would have to push around.  Maybe he would cut a break and have a roommate that didnt mind a little fun.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 04:41:09 AM »
"Nice laugh," Ravi said as he walked down the hallway, giving Kaje a smile of his own. Wonder if you\'ve got the willpower to make it through, the demon continued in his own head. It usually took some degree of forcing, or just starting really young, to get through the first couple of years. After one got used to it, they wanted to stay at the Academy all on their own - usually. Kaje would have to use his own willpower, though. Unless someone does force him, Ravi ammended. Maybe someone would.

"You\'re joining Purificio; get used to studying," Ravi replied with a small laugh. All the houses were hard, sure, but Purificio took the cake there. The strict training regime and all the extra classes that you were expected to take made for a lot of work. Kaje had signed on for a lot here... "You won\'t get that much free time, because you\'d damn well better do your homework - oh, except for astronomy. He never checks," Ravi added with a shrug and a wry smile.

The years spent in training were really hard, it was true... But after the training was over, life got really fun. The missions were exhilirating, and not having to do homework or anything anymore was wonderful. Granted, one still had to keep up on everything - after all, it was one\'s life at stake - but the workload was much, much lighter. Graduating was worth all the struggle.

Kaje seemed like a party type, though. Ravi glanced back at him, cocking his head to the side. It looked like a slightly awkward position, but his steps didn\'t falter in the slightest. "I can show you some good places to have fun later on if you can keep your marks high," the demon said casually. Ravi had always enjoyed relaxing and playing as well; it had been one of the reasons he\'d had so much trouble when he was in training. At least he knew all the good people and places now.

Price

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:07:37 AM »
"Mm, Thanks." was all he muttered at the compliment.  He wasnt used to getting them and had no clue how he was expected to respond.

Kaje choked back a small growl at the word study.  He knew his parents were probably having quite a laugh over the fact he had to do real work now.  His mind immediately started turning over ideas and ways to get out of it.  He wanted to learn certain things but spending years with his nose in books wasnt his idea of fun.

"Wonderful, no free time." he said followed by looking away and rolling his eyes.  Just what he always wanted, more of the same dullness from home.

Oh, hm, fun places, now that sounds interesting.

He nodded in a resigned agreement to Ravi about keeping his marks up and wondered to himself if there was a way to get out and look for himself sooner.

"So what do I need to do first exactly?  Any books I will be getting or assignments to do?"

Kaje continued to watch Ravi move and speak.  He enjoyed watching others, atleast ones that interested him, and Ravi certainly did that.  At first impression he didnt take Ravi as one to enjoy the same kind of fun as Kaje, but that could always be worked on...later.  There were a ton of questions he had for the High Apprentice but better kept for later, not wanting to push him on personal issues quite yet, after all, they usually meant he had to answer some too.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 01:54:20 PM »
Ravi shrugged, then chuckled. "You know, I completely agree," the demon said, turning to look back at Kaje again. "I hated the way they worked us to the bone. But you know..." Ravi continued, his voice turning serious, "those who graduate from Purificio die on the job a whole lot less often than those of any other house. We survive. You probably didn\'t really think about that, yet, about dying, but... It\'s real, once you get out there. Think about that when you\'re training."

The demon took a deep breath in when he finished, then grinned again. "Okay, so that was a little heavy, but it\'s true. Besides, like I said... There are some pretty good places to have fun too," Ravi added with a smile. Kaje probably wanted to get out and find them sooner, but that would be very difficult. The whole school was geared towards knowing things and stalking people, and Purificio was one of the very strictest when it came to almost everything. Finding students out past their curfew really drove the Masters nuts, and they were dead serious about punishments.

Probably won\'t listen if I preach. I wouldn\'t have, Ravi reasoned, flicking his wings out and back in again to resettle them more comfortably. "First, you need to settle in. I can take you to get some useful books after that, and your assignments? ...Worry about those when you have them tomorrow," the demon responded, chuckling. I do *not* pity you, he thought.

Price

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
Kaje stopped in his tracks as Ravi explained why the need to study.  

Killed...dead...just great!

He didnt respond right away, just kept nodding as if he wasnt hearing it for the first time and he knew the risks.  He wasnt going to allow anyone to see a vulnerability in him, especially right now.  At least he had one night before they tossed him into the pits.  He could make the most of that.  

As he thought up ways to spend his last evening of freedom he fought back a smirk, not wanting to make the High Apprentice curious about what he was thinking.  A few ideas were even ones he knew wouldnt happen but were indeed fun to think about.

"Thanks.  I could use a night to get situated anyways.  Say, are we almost close to the dorm yet and are we gonna have to do this much walking pretty regularly?  Not all of us have wings ya know." he gave him a sly smile and wink with the last bit.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
Ravi didn\'t need more than Kaje\'s initial reaction to tell that he hadn\'t really thought about it in the past, but the demon didn\'t call him on it. Why would he? Let him keep the pride he had; he\'d have plenty of people stripping him of it soon enough. It was no skin off of Ravi\'s back to pretend he believed him. "Glad you thought about it... I sure as hell didn\'t. Then again, I was also 7," Ravi said, playfully mocking himself. He grinned, tossing his hair back; the stuff always got in his face, but it was too pretty for him to want to cut it off.

"Ahhh walking\'s good for you! Besides, flying is harder work," Ravi said with a laugh. It was, too. Ravi had often wondered if they\'d put everything so far apart on purpose, just to make them do the extra work - and to constantly challenge them to get to class on time. They probably had. Kaje\'s wink wasn\'t lost on Ravi, who raised an appreciative eyebrow. Oh ho? he thought, curious.

...Come to think of it, what *was* Kaje planning on doing with his last night of freedom? Better not be anything too wild. Getting thrown out before you even start? That\'d be a new record! Ravi thought, turning his head to face forward as he grinned to himself. "The dorms aren\'t too far off now. You\'re level 9, so you\'re nearest to everything else," the handsome demon said, turning down a corridor towards the empty room he knew of. He\'d point out his own room on the way. Ravi had his own room on the level, one that had used to belong to a Master of some sort. They\'d put him there when he first graduated because they had too many apprentices, and though they\'d offered him a new room when they lost a couple, Ravi had grown to like his little hidey-hole.

Plus, this way, if anyone went out to kill the apprentices, they\'d miss him. And if anyone came in to go after the 9th levels... They\'d have a big surprise on their hands. All in all, Ravi liked the setup.

Price

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 04:53:39 PM »
Nodding along, he was relieved they werent too far now.  He was getting tired of carrying all the bags.  He was quite fit but even the working out didnt help in the ways of being annoyed.  Seemed he was going to have alot to get used to here, like doing everything for his self.  The thought made him cringe originally, but the idea of learning about magic made it okay...atleast for now.  He would have to move up fast, no matter what it took.  No way was he going to sit around with a bunch of kids doing the same thing as him.

Damn -them- for holding me back all these years.  I should have been way ahead of this now.

This High Apprentice didnt appear to be quite as stuffy as he originally thought.  Might be helpful to make the best of that for now.  He could use someone to help him so he wasnt out on his ass.  He -did- want to make it here...despite having to work hard.  This would require change.

"Well I guess being nearest everything helps.  With the walking anyways, though it could be a road block for any sort of antics." he snickered again.  It was the truth but then again, he was used to people watching him all the time.  He really would attempt to behave for a while though, till he atleast knew how things worked.

"By the way, How long have you been around this place?" he asked, geared a little more personal but nothing of great impact.  He didnt think it would be out of place to ask.

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
Ravi rolled his eyes, grinning. "Antics, huh?" he asked wryly. Lucky me, getting to patrol these hallways... the demon thought, his voice flat even in his own head. Kaje would probably be a pain when it came to that, judging by how he sounded. Still, maybe Ravi could convince him to leave off on his shifts... Or hell, just come hang out with him, if he really wanted to get away from his studies. At least then Ravi wouldn\'t have to be dragging him back to bed all the time.

Ravi didn\'t have much doubt when it came to that. He was known as one of the best of the apprentices when it came to catching people out of bed after-hours. Ravi already had a gut feeling that Faris was going to assign him to Kaje, and it would be a lot easier if they could just get along. Stupid hallway patrolling... Ravi hated it.

"How long? Tchhhhtchtchtch..." the demon pondered, making his small "thinking noise" as he calculated. "That would be.... 21 years." It probably seemed like a long time to a human, but to an air demon... Ravi was still pretty young for his species. He had a good long while ahead of him, and he was looking forward to it. Ravi was in no rush to leave his position as High Apprentice; it was fun!

"There\'s my room, by the way," Ravi said as they turned down another hallway. He was pointing to the third door down on the right, thought he walked right past it a moment later. "Your room would be.... here," Ravi said, finally reaching the end of the hallway, only to open the door into a small, cramped room. Well.... it was made for much younger kids... the demon thought as he looked in it. He\'d certainly fit fine in one when he was little.

There were two beds in this one, but it was obvious that no one lived in there. The room was empty, blank and small, with two little desks and two little chests of drawers in there. Ravi looked around it, then put his face in his hand. "Okay, screw this. You won\'t even fit in one of those beds, will you?" Ravi muttered into his palm. "C\'mon. You can stay in my room for a night, until they figure out what to do with you," the demon continued, shutting the door to the miniature room and turning to walk back down the hall.

The gods of providence must hate me or something, Ravi thought, glancing upwards towards the ceiling, ...Though he\'s managed not to complain in the last 5 minutes. Keep up the good work, Kaje!

Price

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 05:59:55 PM »
Once they arrived to the dorm room, kaje nearly had a stroke seeing how small and plain it was.  From the looks of the entrance he expected something similar at least to what he had at home.  He was not used to such lower than average quarters.  His room was enourmous and bore the decorations of one very wealthy spoiled child.  This just wasnt going to cut it.

Ravi turned, surprising Kaje and offered to let him stay in his room once he realized that room was not going to do.  

Well atleast he can see this was just not going to suit his needs. Thats a start.

However, staying with a High Apprentice was definitely going to rain down on any fun he had could have had.  He debated between the two and resigned to take the offer.  He obviously wasnt going to get far with him down the hall anyways and there is no way he could sleep in that tiny room without going mad.

He nodded his head in agreement, "Thanks.  I guess I might as well hang up the idea of doing too much tonight, anyhow.  I dont suppose staying in for tonight will kill me.  Gotta get used to it from the sounds of it."  

He followed Ravi back to his room, trying to keep his mind on the task of getting situated and not on the way Ravi moved in front of him.