Author Topic: Hollow  (Read 34775 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Hollow
« on: June 22, 2007, 04:39:19 AM »

A thunderclap resounded overhead, the cry of god or some form of devil neither which Storm cared particularly for. As far as she was concerned, she was the devil.

The girl stood, cloak wrapped tightly around her and with each rain drop the material fused to her flesh. She looked gloomily out at the stormy seas. Her eyes shone with a blue-grey iridescent light, a bittersweet smile dancing lightly on her lips. She counted the seconds from the thunderclap to the lightning bolt; something she could remember doing as a child. The violent light streaked across the sky in front of her, striking the sea with a show so terrible that it was breathtaking.

"Two seconds, the storm is not far off." she called softly, voice lost in the rain. The girl smiled as though chasing a sad memory. She stared down at her feet, the edge of the cliff not far off, as though wondering if she could fly without wings...

Storm sighed, closing her shining eyes and tilting her head to meet the oncoming rain drops. With her hood off, her hair was sleek with moisture, plastered against her head and her face. The thundering rain competed with the sound of crashing waves, each trying to be louder than the other. The sounds of every-night silence were impossible to hear.

There would be no sleep tonight. It was too pleasant to miss, the rain and the noise. Who could drift off into nightmare-land and miss this beauty? Storm inhaled deeply, drinking in the scent of the sea and rain. Opening her green eyes, she allowed herself to become one with the waves and the pelting drops. Her entire body became relaxed as she drifted into a minor level of meditation.

One could say she was happy, from the look of bliss written all over her face. And maybe she was, but not totally. There was no such thing as complete happiness. But none of this mattered. The only thing she could feel now was the ocean and the rain. She was the rain. She was the ocean.

As far as she was concerned, nothing else existed.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Hollow
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
Drops were falling on his face in uneven measures and intervals as he lay facing the canopy of trees beneath a stormy sky. Damien was soaked to the bone, his jeans full of dirt, sand and water, and his shoes were faring no better, really. The sloshing had yet to annoy him as much as his t-shirt had-- which was now almost suctioned to his chest with water. He was freezing and the water was stinging his eyes as it fell into them.

And for the first time in a long time --how long, he could never tell anymore, not after so many years -- he felt so utterly human. His eyes were blurred and the cold was getting annoying. Yet the inconsistency of the falling rain through the treetops and the ebbing and flowing scent of the sea nearby made him feel calm, despite an inner restlessness which had driven away from his beloved, city grime.

And, really, the only thing that kept him grounded, kept him from believing that he were actually eighteen again was the rain that hit the pendent of his maker, Isabella, on his chest lying on top of the wet, navy blue t-shirt he sported this night.

Isabella, he breathed without words. Where are you, my Dearest? He knew the answer already. He had watched her die, felt her die, heard her die. But where was she? It had been a while since he had caught any kind of feeling from her. Her spirit, he thought as if correcting himself. It was a helpless feeling, an anxious one. Almost a thousand years, Love. Where are you already?

He never thought that he\'d ever live this long. Period. Even while he was a vampire, the thought of meeting immortal death had been ever present. It had caught up with her, hadn\'t it? But he, like Isabella, had watched kingdoms rise and fall including that of his own home nation. But he couldn\'t remember the mortal name for it now.

Damien put his arms behind his head as he layed on the mossy rock on the edge of a small wood. But no matter which way he turned, he couldn\'t get comfortable on such a bumpy rock. It had ridges, humps and bumps, and aggrivations galore. But, then again, the longer that you\'re a vampire, the more sick and tired you get of staying in one spot or one position for a long enough period of time. At least that\'s what he had found, anyway.

The vampire turned over onto his side, facing the sea. There was a girl there, he knew. He had seen her standing there when he had first come. Long black hair and dark clothing with a nice frame which looked awfully familiar from this distance, but he really had no intensions of pointing himself out to her, not wanting to deal with any mortals for them moment.

Sighing, Damien fiddled with the pendent around his neck, thinking about his Master and her words. He could still see her getting dragged away from him, could feel his arm reaching out for hers and receiving nothing but a slap in the face from a human. Damien closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. What the hell could she have meant?

The eyes open after a moment and stared at the girl by the cliffs. He wondered if she were there to jump. So many had been and for a moment he was only half interested in her. And then he caught a glimpse of her face. Damien sat up quickly. No, it couldn\'t be, he thought in disbelief. His throat suddenly ran dry as his heart jumped up into it. Lucretia?

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 10:43:32 AM »
Storm\'s eyes were consumed in green. As each raindrop hit her forehead she sank into the lower levels of meditation. She reached out toward the sky, as if beckoning the rain to take her. Part of her wish it would.

The girl was so deep inside of herself that she hadn\'t even noticed the presence of another. Normally she would have felt the approaching aura but not tonight. The rain and ocean could drown out more than just noises. Despite her lack of awareness, something inside had stirred. Something ancient. The Akari felt this only for a brief moment, but became intertwined with her elemental manipulation.

Edging closer to the cliff, having half the intention to leap, she reached out with her mind to command the water to rise. The ocean was not so obedient. The girl\'s eyes flickered purple as she concentrated on raising even a little bit of the salty liquid into the air to hover beneath her. She felt the energy course through her body at her will, felt it leave and enter the ocean, felt it all come back to her, flirting within inches of her fingertips. Holding it there for a bit, the Akari gathered more until the sphere was roughly the size of a basketball.

Suddenly, Storm let it drop back into the sea, tempted to follow. The girl\'s toes were already off the edge as she peered even farther over the cliff-side.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:09:36 AM »
Without wasting the time and effort to brush himself off, he rose from the rock and paced the distance between them. Oh no you don\'t, not again, the vampire thought anxiously, quickening his pace to a speed that mortals could even run at, yet his strides came easily and soon enough he stood off her left shoulder staring at her.

From where he stood, Damien could see the side of her face. Isabella was always gorgeous to him, extraordinarily beautiful in an unearthly manner. This girl, whoever she was, was not exactly Isabella. There was the essence, for lack of a better word, of Isabella, the looks of Isabella... But this girl was mortal of some kind. And while she had Isabella\'s face, frame and mannerisms, she was not Isabella. Damien felt his heart sink from his throat into his stomach. Still he couldn\'t doubt how much this girl resembled Isabella...

She looked focused, as if in a trance or trail of deep thought, leaning at an odd angle and looking as if she were going to jump, too. But she couldn\'t jump, no, not after he had just found her after so many years! Not when he had finally obeyed his Mistress and found "her". But if he approached this girl now, would she be startled and fall? Could he be faster than gravity? Not at this distance. But if he didn\'t do anything would she truly jump?

"Look for me Ace!" She had said as she was getting torn out of his arms, dragged away from him to be exposed to the sun that was about to rise in a few minutes. "I\'ll be there. Look for me! Survive and look for me in the years which follow! I\'ll be there, I promise! Just look for me! Promise me that!" There were undead tears streaming down her face, tears he\'d only seen twice before that time. She was openly scared. Damien understood why.

And as he looked at this girl leaning off the cliff, Damien whispered two words, his surreal silver eyes gazing at her, reading her, absorbing her. His voice was quiet, almost silence in the wind around them. "I promise."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:41:34 AM »

Lightning struck the sea again, sending the area in a frenzy of light, illuminating her face for a brief second before thunder sounded and chased the light away. The rain did not slow, if anything it seemed to increase in rate and speed.

Someone was indeed within feet of her. The Akari whirled around, eyes flashing randomly. She came face to face with someone she didn\'t recognize. The fact that it was in the middle of the night made her all the more uneasy.

If there was anything Storm hated more then falling asleep, it was being caught off guard. She backed away from the edge of the cliff, still close enough to fall but far enough to prevent it from being an accident.

Her heart beat violently in her throat and her spirit was thrashing around inside of her, almost ripping her apart to transform. Storm held more control over it then usual-- aside from the fangs poking out. That much she could stand.

The girl couldn\'t find the right word to utter, the right question to ask. Like \'What the hell are you doing out at this hour\' didn\'t seem fitting in the least. She remained silent, backing away from him but taking care not to accidentally take a tumble...

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »
It was foreign to look at her again so easily. And that look in this new girl\'s eyes, the same exact expression that Damien had seen lining Isabella\'s face that night she died, made him take a step backwards, away from this girl that looked so effortlessly like his Mistress.

At the same moment his heart leapt for joy and relief and excitemet. She was here again, standing there, looking at him again with any such face she chose. Part of him wanted nothing more than to forget all pretences and throw his arms around the woman he had so dearly loved so many years before. Or scream in her face for leaving him for so long without any idea or guidance as to where she might be or what was happening.

But this wasn\'t Isabella. Yet, in a way, it was her. Damien couldn\'t understand really as he stood looking at the girl. What is this? Is this... reincarnation? He wanted to ask her, Isabella. She would have the answers. But this young girl... She looked no older than him when he was claimed.

What an idiot I am... "I don\'t... I don\'t..." He smiled at his folly, his speechlessness. Isabella would have rolled her eyes. "I don\'t... mean to cause you harm, Miss." Damien smiled and laughed genuinely, awkwardly, humanly. "Please. I... I just don\'t want to see you jump..." Another awkward laugh, inexpressable. "Wonderful weather we\'re having..."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »
The girl\'s eyes settled on an uneasy red. It was as though he knew her, judging by the way he was looking at her. That made her quite uneasy. What made her more uneasy was the fact that she could sense no life from him.
Another one, like the man from before... Her expression darkened at the thought of it.

The comment about the weather threw her off more then the fact that he cared whether or not she would jump. Storm turned from him, his eyes made her feel uncomfortable. His laugh was human, to awkward to seem suspicious. For some reason, suspicion seemed to leave her this night. The girl didn\'t seem to care about much.

"What do you care, you don\'t even know me." she replied softly, not intending him to hear her at all. Quite frankly, she\'d rather he didn\'t. It was a stupid thing to say, anyone kind enough would care about a stranger who was about to make an attempt on their own life. Then again, there was a shortage of kindness in the world, and the heavens. Storm sighed.

Lightning struck closer, still at the ocean. In a split second, she reached up to attempt another manipulation. The Akari succeeded in only singing her hand and cried out in pain, muted by the wind and the rain. She drew her cloak around her, tighter, if possible. Lightning had always been her weakest element. The girl cursed silently.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 06:55:32 AM »
Damien blinked, surprised by the oddity that were her eyes. Isabella never had that. She was never this quiet either. Withdrawn? Perhaps. Timid? No. Mysterious? Definitely. Lovely? He watched her quizzically as her eyes changed colors, as she took another step away, as she whispered her questions which probably weren\'t meant for him to catch.

But he did catch them. And how could he approach her? "Hi. I\'m Damien and I\'m a vampire made hundreds of years ago by your soul. Would you come with me away from the edge of the cliff? I\'ve ben searching for you for hundreds of year and it\'d suck if you killed yourself." Yeah. That\'s pleasant conversation, he thought to himself both fustrated and smiling. So he watched her, thinking up some kind of excuse to get her away from the edge of the cliff.

It was all he could do to stand there and watch her as her hands rose over the sea and the lightning singed them. He could smell the burned flesh and it churned his stomach. It always had. And the fact that it was her flesh incarnated burning hurt him all the more. Damien cringed slightly.

"I\'m Damien, by the way. Damien Evans," said the vampire, hoping against hope that his name would trigger something off in her mind. Isabella had given him that name, after all. A moment or two passed. "So... uh... what are you tryin\' to do?" An honest question. Keep her talking. Keep me human.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:50:49 AM »
Damien! The Akari shuddered involuntarily. A vision flashed inside of her mind, causing her eyes to flash from red to yellow. Fire. Screaming. The smell of ashes and the searing pain of heat. Storm shook her head to rid herself from it, eyes brown with curiosity. She turned to him, curiously, as though trying to understand why his name held that image.

"My name is Storm..." she replied softly, studying him with her eyes, which were now more gray then brown. The girl decided against an attempt to penetrate his mind, it was impolite, and as far as she could see, unneeded. Damien seemed harmless enough. Storm turned away, facing the ocean again.

"So... uh... what are you tryin\' to do?" He had asked.

In the back of her mind, Storm wondered what the question was directed toward: her attempts at manipulating the lightening or why she was so close to the edge of the cliff. She decided it was less awkward to answer the former. The girl held her hand out to the side of her, gathering the energy from inside of her and sending it into the ground beneath her open palm. The dirt obeyed willingly, gathering into a sphere and hovering a few inches below her hand.

"I can manipulate various elements, some more easily than others. Earth is rather willing, water from the ocean is more strong willed, lightning and fire are entirely different stories..." the dirt began to orbit her, much like planetary rings, as she spoke, dropping to the ground when her voice fell.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 01:51:31 AM »
Damien saw her shudder, faint though it was. His heart leapt, the bloodbeat quickening and becomming louder in his ears. That was it. This girl was connected to Isabella in one way or another. He wanted to wrap her in his arms and tell her everything that had gone on since her death some centuries ago, the advancements and the set backs, the army, the triumphs and failures he had...

But as he saw the earth rise and acumulate in her hands, the vampire refrained. Would she even remember him? Would she remember anything? The army? The war they wanted to start?

"Oh," said Damien, "that\'s... different." He smiled at her but felt the odd mixture of anxiety, pain and love for her, for Isabella. But how could he understand what this meant? He couldn\'t even ask this new girl what she understood and what she didn\'t? How to even approach...

He sighed and looked out at the ocean, restless and angry. Help would be nice right now... He moved his hair away from his dripping face. The rain hadn\'t slowed or ceased. He no longer felt so utterly human. No, he felt so utterly alone.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 06:21:57 AM »
Storm felt restlessness seeping out of him. She was feeling her own form of anxiety, wanting to fly. Wanting to fall. The girl inched farther out to the edge, the balls of her feet hanging off the cliff. She peered curiously into the ocean, wondering what lay beneath it\'s wild tempest. How deep the water was, how sharp the rocks below would be. It would be a long fall, quick and painless at the end.

Not that she didn\'t mind pain.

How peaceful she felt at this moment. So withdrawn, as though she were completely and utterly alone. Something tugged at her on the inside, urging her to back up, away from the danger. Whether it be common sense or the faintest recognition. Damien. Damien, Damien, Damien. Storm mulled over the sound of his name. Every thought of every syllable brought a twang of familiarity. The Akari couldn\'t shake it off, and it was driving her insane.

Lightening split the sky in two again, thunder following shortly after. The wind suddenly burst to life, picking up Storm\'s cloak and pushing her further. The girl didn\'t even notice that she\'d lost her balance until she felt herself falling forward in slow motion, turning just in time to see Damien\'s face. It hadn\'t occurred to her how utterly familiar it was, and that scared her. Somehow her hands reached out in some silly, desperate attempt to grab at open air.

Storm was so close, grass tickled her fingertips.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »
He watched in slow motion as the wind took her. But he was faster than gravity, moving his body weight in the fastest way he could against the force of attraction between this girl, this Storm, and the watery rocks below her. And after nine hundred years plus of mastering such a skill, Damien was glad that it had finally helped him.

The vampire\'s claws hooked around her wrist and locked under the skin as she fell. Damien could see it all happening. Her losing her footing, he slow turn and torturous look in her eyes as her body slowing drifted down as if being eaten alive by forces of the earth. He felt himself run and fall to his knees. He felt his arm thrust out just as her fingers were disappearing. She was surprisingly light; he locked her wrist in his grip, even if it did hurt her.

"I told you not to jump," he smiled with humor in his voice, yet not in his eyes. Damien looked seriously down at her, only part of his torso leaning over, holding her up, his other clawed hand rooted into the ground near his knees. "I will not lose you again."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 12:18:18 PM »
Storm nearly cried out in pain as she felt the puncture in her skin. She bit her tongue instead, fighting back the show of weakness. The Akari felt her pulse go mad, racing blindly in the dark. With her free hand, she reached out and grasped his wrist.

"I will not lose you again." His eyes were so serious. She blinked. Twice.

What does he mean, again? She thought, eyes brown with her confusion. The Akari struggled to slow her breathing. It dawned on her that this man had just saved her life. She was about to die. Well, at least that was what she thought, no telling what her spirit form would\'ve done.

The girl couldn\'t find the words to say. Her blood was dripping down her arm and she didn\'t mind at all.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 12:59:05 PM »
Her blood. The scent of it made his mouth water. The feeling of it flowing over his claws yanked at the Thirst deep inside. It always had. Her grip around his wrist only encouraged him to feel her blood beating wildly in her veins.

Focus, you moron! Get her out of danger! Damien hoisted her up easily enough, getting slowly to his feet and stepping back, using his weight against gravity. He watched her clamber upon the grass, struggling with the gravity he could so easily defy in certain cases and at some points in time.

Damien felt so revealed, so "out". Surely she\'d know now that he wasn\'t any human. And he really didn\'t know if that would make anything better for the situation and explanation at all. He sighed faintly and looked at her bleeding wrist.

Reluctantly, he released it, allowing the blood to flow again uninterrupted by him. It taunted and teased him with its scent. He wanted nothing more than to press her wrist against his lips and taste her life again. Not now. Not yet. The thought did cause him to smile and lift his gaze unto her.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »
She knelt, stunned, on the wet grass. Storm stared down at her wrist, blood flow constant and slow. She watched as raindrops mingled with the crimson, rivers of red flowing into the ground. The Akari looked up at Damien, a mixture of gratitude and fear displayed on her face. More so the former then the latter.

"...th...thank you." she managed to stammer, gazing into his face with mild curiosity. He was looking at her wrist. The girl could feel want deep within his soul, like an unquenchable hunger that she felt only in her spirit form (or partially transformed in cases such as now). She didn\'t know how to voice this knowledge.

Nor could she understand her impeccable desire to offer.