Author Topic: Picking Up Strays  (Read 14994 times)

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Picking Up Strays
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:57:03 PM »
Thump, thump, thump… “Whoops!”

The noises outside Mandy’s door, and the knocks were quickly followed by the sound of a body sliding down her front door and Ichabod came to a halt finally leaning heavily against the thin piece of wood. He gave a quiet giggle to himself, running a hand through his spiky hair. He wasn’t sure what the time was, but he guessed it was a little past midnight, he’d been drinking steadily since a few hours before nightfall and then headed out to Risk. Bad mistake.

His left eye was swollen and red, there was a cut across his nose which already had a bump in it from a bad break a few years earlier, but his glasses were perched precariously on the end of his nose. He’d had to resort to them, there was no way he was putting in contacts with his eye like this, but fortunately he\'d had his glasses with him.

Ichabod hadn’t been doing well since picking up his stuff from Kerr’s apartment. He had left the key on the kitchen counter where the vampire would easily be able to find it, but apart from that had left no sign that he had ever even been there at all. He’d actually started drinking that day after booking into a hotel, his mini bar had taken a big hit that night, but at least people hadn’t been asking him how old he was or he wouldn’t have been able to retreat to the drunken stupor that helped him forget. It had been almost a week since he had left Kerr’s for good, a week since he’d last seen Mandy and decided he never wanted to see her again. But somehow he’d found himself here after being chucked out of Risk for picking a fight with a groupie (and his friends who had all appeared from no where) and he was pissed off. They had interrupted what had been looking like a good night, a vampire had fed from him and had appeared to be interested in more when Ichabod had accidentally knocked into someone’s drink, spilling it and getting him into trouble he hadn’t wanted. He\'d been kicked out on his ass into the streets and told him not to come back unless it was with someone who could control him.

In the scuffle Ichabod had lost his room key for the hotel (as well as his contact) and didn’t want to turn up in this state to ask for another. They were already giving him disapproving looks, he didn’t want them to have an excuse to chuck them out.

This was almost his last resort. Ichabod had stood outside Kerr’s apartment building for half an hour, then decided not to go in. He couldn’t stand having Kerr see him like this and he doubted that the vampire would be too happy about it either. Then he had gone to the house he had shared with Lazarus, but, as Kerr had told him, there was no sign of life there and he didn’t want to spend the night there. Alone. Staying in the hotel alone had been bad enough, but in a bed where he had spent so much time with Lazarus? No way. Home really wasn’t an option, not in this state and so he’d ended up here.  And besides, she had offered him a place to stay, kind of. He’d been too angry to really listen to what she was saying.

So now he was slumped with his back against her front door, an unlit cigarette dangling between his fingers and a bottle of Jack Daniels sat on the floor beside him, which he took another gulp from before struggling with his lighter, trying to light his cigarette, but failing miserably, as as soon as he produced a flame he dropped the cigarette with surprise. He’d even almost forgotten that he had even knocked on her door, he’d just thought this was a comfortable place to sit for a while. After all, a dry floor was better than the pavement.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Picking Up Strays
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:38:10 PM »
Mandy had always been something of a night owl, a fact that was greatly intensified by her relationship with Kerr – especially as of late.

Since rekindling her connection with the vampire, she`d made a point of staying up as late as her feeble body would allow, all in hopes that her beloved immortal might choose that night to visit her again. It was a double-edged sword really. She couldn`t help but pray that Kerr found Ben quickly and sorted things out, all so that he might fulfill his promise to her and hurrying along to see her. Second best... she would always be second best...

So, quite naturally, when a knock came at her door, Mandy assumed it to be him.

With bright eyes, she hurried for the front entryway, hands quickly running down the front of her attire in hopes of smoothing any wrinkles. She wore a pair of white, cotton lounge pants (her favorite, as they breathed and moved when she walked), a baby blue tee (also cotton) and as always – went barefoot while in the confines of her home. It wasn`t much, but in contrast with her perfectly shaped, spiky – pink hair, little more flare was in fact needed. As long as she didn`t look all paint-spattered as she had nearly a week before.

Beaming, she popped the bolt on the door and without a second thought -threw it aside. Rather unexpectedly however, something heavy slid from the slab and landed with little fanfare, atop her feet. She blinked, looking down.

“I… Ichabod?” the female gasped, first surprised to find him and not Kerr… then, by his drastically diminished condition. The bottle at his side and swelling above his left eye gave a pretty good indication as to the youths activities, at least within the last twelve hours. And Christ, but he stank! She could only hope that he wasn`t covered in vomit.

After the initial shock of it all wore off, Mandy knelt down at his side, her hand reaching tentativly for his injured face, “Ichabod… God what happened to you?” She hadn`t realized that he wore glasses?
Infusco: Mandy Lynn, Heather Sykes, Gabriel "Gabe"
The Savage Islands: Trey Hunt

"Man is the only creature that blushes... or has reason to." (Paraphrase)
- Mark Twain

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:21:59 AM »
When the door opened without warning (he didn’t pay attention to the sliding of the bolt) Ichabod fell backwards in through the door, his head landing on her bare feet as he blinked up at her with surprise, his swollen one only half opening anyway.

“You got really pink hair,” he said, giving a small, lopsided grin as he focused on her when she got closer to him, his eyes drifting up to look at her hair rather than her eyes. It was easier that way, it stopped him from picturing her with her arms around Kerr. His Kerr. He was wearing the same jeans as he had last time he saw her (but they had been washed again in that time) and a smarter top as he’d gone out to the club, it was a dark red shirt, with no tie and the sleeves rolled up to his fore arms, although one side had slid down further than the other and he hadn’t bothered to fix them. It was the same shirt Lazarus had pick out for him to wear the night they had gone out to Risk. The night he had bumped into Kerr for the third time and stayed the night. And fortunately there was no sick on it and the drops of blood from his nose blended in nicely. But he did smell strongly of cigarette and alcohol and his skin was paler than before so if she knew anything about him she would be able to guess that he’d been fed from tonight… and probably shouldn’t still be drinking.

He frowned slightly at her question and squeezed his eyes shut before flinching at the pain of it and her touching him. “You. You fucking happened. And Kerr, Ben, fucking Lazarus. Fuck him,” he muttered, deciding that that would be the best place to start. The source of all his pain. Fucking stupid vampires, screwing up his life. No, wait, if he wanted to get into his life being fucked up then he should go back to Nikki, the first guy he’d ever been with. He had been perfectly happy and normal before that beautiful blonde. "And Nikki! Screwewew him!" he added, lifting one hand to point at the roof of the room to emphasise his point, although Mandy probably wouldn\'t have a clue who he was.

“Am I on your feet?” he asked after a moment, opening his eyes again and addressing the bright pink hair that spun before his dark eyes. “They’re really comfy...” he said, his words slurring slightly before he finally lowered his hand, draping it across his chest. "My nose hurts," he added in a childish tone, his lower lip sticking out as he watched her as though it was somehow her fault that he was like this.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »
A look of utter pity descended Mandy`s features as Ichbod - alone and in obvious pain (both physical and emotional) - spouted a response to her prior question. Her hands instantly slipped beneath his underarms intent on haling him up off the floor. His words didn`t surprise the female, at least, not the parts about her, Kerr and Lazarus. In all honestly, she`d no idea who this Nikki person was, but she could only assume that he`d somehow managed to injure Ichabod`s heart somewhere along the way as well.

Poor guy. At least he had enough sense not to lie down in the gutter and came to her instead.

Groaning beneath the sheer dead weight of her intoxicated friend, Mandy heaved him upright, then quickly pulled his right arm over her shoulder and struggled to her feet. He had the consistency of a rag doll, and was twice as heavy, but she managed to right them before long. Better to get him into her apartment before tending to his wounds and cleaning him up. The rest could come later, after he was a little more lucid.

“C`mon,” she urged through clenched teeth, holding him around the small of his back with her left arm while her right clung to the arm slung around her neck, “That’s it, in through the door…”

- Mark Twain

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:52:08 AM »
“Wait! I forgot my Jack Daniels… Can‘t be doin‘ that,” Ichabod said, quickly turning and using her and a leaning post as he bent down and scooped up the bottle by the door before turning back and letting her lead him through the door.  He could have walked by himself, sort of… but it was easier for him to let her help.

On the way in he banged against the door, knocking it back against the wall and he quickly turned to it with a look of apology, “Oh God, I am so sorry, please, are you ok? Let me just… I’ll get y’ a drink later… come find me,” he rambled, talking to the door as he shut it behind them and slid his weight from Mandy’s shoulders, standing somewhat wobbly and gesturing towards the door with his bottle. It may just be a door, but better to apologise than end up with another black eye… well, that was Ichabod’s reasoning anyway. You couldn’t trust anyone nowadays, not even those doors.

He turned around, the cigarette and lighter still clutched in one hand as he watched Mandy with a look of suspicion and took in a deep breath, trying to avoid feeling sick. He lifted the hand that held his bottle and wiggled a finger in her direction. “You… you and Ben. I don’t like you. No, wait, you… as a person, you’re ok,” he said, taking a couple of steps towards her, balancing himself against the wall. “I mean, Kerr likes you, you must be alright,” he added, finally letting her lead him wherever she wanted to put him in her flat. “I… I was the first person Ben drank from,” he announced giving a happy grin in Mandy’s direction, still somewhat proud of that fact, although he wasn’t sure why exactly. “I didn’t like Kerr that night.”

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 01:10:14 AM »
Repressing a small giggle (as Ichabod carried on an entire conversation with her innate front door), Mandy quickly gathered the teen back to her side and helped him further into her flat. She nodded impassively as he first rattled on about not liking her and Ben, then revised the statement to, not really disliking her that much if Kerr liked her, finishing on the obviously proud fact that he had been Ben`s ‘first’. Sadly, she was not as impressed with this information as Ichabod might have hoped, being as Mandy had never actually been fed on herself

She simply couldn`t relate.

They stumbled through her suite (narrowly avoiding Artemis) toward the sofa Ichabod had use the previous week for rest. It was here that Mandy finally elected to carefully deposit his body. And she did so with exceptional difficulty – falling down across the youths lap when he forgot to release her from his drunken grasp. She blinked up at him (her stomach and chest pressing against the tops of his knees), waiting for him to either release her or speak.

God, but he looked terrible.

“Please don`t throw up on me.”

- Mark Twain

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 01:29:54 AM »
He followed her passively, with an exclamation of “Ooo… cat!” when they went past Artemis, then collapsed on the sofa as she directed him to. His eyes opened slightly wider with surprise as she was suddenly draped across his knees, not quite understanding how she got there or that it was his grip keeping her there. Ichabod leant forwards slightly at her plea, this time wiggling his unlit cigarette in her direction and leaving a dramatic pause before speaking.

“I… do not feel sick. I’m not going to throw up on you until I have drunk a lot more,” he said, before leaning back again and took another swig from his bottle, releasing her from his accidental grip in the process. He gave a small sigh before carefully replacing his (slightly bent) cigarette in it’s box and putting it back into his pocket. “I lost my hotel room key,” he explained to her as he leant his head back against the sofa, realising suddenly that he hadn’t even told her why he was here. “An’… I didn’t know where else t’ go. You were nice to me before and you didn’t have to be,” he said quietly, opening his eyes to look sadly in her direction once more. She could so easily have told him to bugger off, but she hadn’t. As much as he hated that Kerr cared for her she was a nice person and the only one he could go to right now.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 01:54:01 AM »
So, that was why he`d sought her out.

Again, Mandy couldn`t help but thank whatever God existed, that he`d come to her rather than passing out in the street where people could have easily mugged him. That, or much, much worse. This city could be ruthless at times. She slid in neatly at Ichabod`s side (grateful that she`d not needed to pry herself from his grasp) and resumed her appraisal of his eye, gently probing the swollen edges with her fingertips. He`d be sore in the morning when the booze wore off, that much was certain.

“I told you that you didn`t need to stay in a hotel,” she scolded, though her voice carried an unmistakable kindness to it throughout, “And give me that!”

Mandy removed the bottle from Ichabod`s hand easily, his reduced strength nothing compared to her sober resolve. She deposited it on the floor near her feet then proceeded to examin the laceration across his nose. He`d need stitches most likely, but she had steri-strip that would do in a pinch. The ex-ER clerk had all manner of wound care and cleansing products. Of course, none of them would be very effective until Ichabod had been cleaned up properly.

She wrinkled her nose again at his smell. “You stink."  She pointed out and without a word of warning, reached for the top button of his shirt, "Like smoke." She pulled the button free before moving to the next one – making it openly obvious that she intended to strip him down right there on the sofa. He`d need a shower and fresh clothes before she could attend to his wounds. And if he intended to stay here for any length of time, he most certainly could not remain like this.

- Mark Twain

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 02:12:58 AM »
Ichabod made a small ‘humph’ noise at her saying he didn’t have to go to a hotel, but he had wanted to get as far away from all this fucked up shit as soon as he could and that was the only way he’d seen to be able to do that. Of course, it was digging into his savings, but it was better than staying with his parents. He couldn’t handle that right now. And getting a flat hadn’t been what his mind had been focused on.

“Hey!” he muttered as she pulled away his bottle, but he gave it up without a fight and soon forgot about it, “You could have just asked if you’d wanted some,” he mumbled, glancing down with a frown as she suddenly started undoing his shirt buttons and insulting him.

“Well so-rry,” he said, watching her hands warily, "I guess that means you\'re not going t\' let m\' smoke in here," he added in a drunken, bitter tone. He’d been out clubbing, he wasn’t exactly going to come back smelling of roses. “I dunno if anyone mentioned it, but I’m gay,” he added, glancing across at her as she determinedly un-did his buttons, but he didn’t bother attempting to stop her. Why was she undressing him again?

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 02:36:31 AM »
“Really? I`m so disappointed,” she mocked in a teasing tone, popping the last few buttons free and yanking Ichabod`s shirt off, “After all, you`re such a striking specimen, and I was so looking forward to having my beastly way with you tonight!” She could only assume that her humor would be lost on him, drunk as he was. But gay or no, she doubted that anyone would want to bed the youth this evening, bad as he both looked and smelled.

Smiling inwardly, Mandy went for his belt next,

“You need to shower before I can fix up your eye and nose,” she explained, nimbly unfastening the buckle and whipping the belt free in a flourish of motion – setting it across the couch, “And no, you cannot smoke in my apartment. There’s a balcony just off the kitchen area that you can use for that, but no butts in the flat.” She reached for his fly and quickly unzipped the opening, “Come on, stand up,” the female instructed, scooping his arm over her shoulder once more and standing, “Pants down – I`ll let you take your own underwear off once we get you to the bathroom.”

- Mark Twain

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 02:55:02 AM »
“I bet you are,” Ichabod said, giving her a small smile. He was drunk, but he could tell she was obviously trying to be funny. But she was still undressing him incredibly quickly. Almost as fast as he and Kerr had done that night… But her sarcasm didn’t help his mood overall, it just reminded him that no one did want to sleep with him, human, vampire, male, female. No one wanted him. The smile faded from his lips and he stared down at her carpet, his eyes dull behind his glasses and some of his hair which had falling forwards over his forehead.

But he did hear her telling him where he could smoke even though the rest of her undressing him was somewhat of a blur. He stood up with her help when she wanted him too, but them dropped him arm from her shoulders, so small and delicate, letting his hand ran down her arm before falling to his side.

“I don’t need this, I‘ve already had a shower in your house,”
he mumbled, not bothering to re-do his flies as he moved past her and walked towards her balcony, pausing for a moment as he figured out how to open it, then stepping outside, immediately lighting a cigarette, a smell that always reminded him of the first time he met Lazarus now. He didn’t mean to be rude to her, after all, he’d come here for her help, but everything she did seemed to remind him of what had happened. Her commanding tone was so similar to Lazarus, although the voice was obviously different, and he kept picturing Kerr by the front door kissing her. The teenager gave a sigh before running a hand through his hair and taking another drag on his cigarette, not paying any attention to whether Mandy had followed him or not as he leant against the balcony rail. His jeans hung loosely around his hips as he leant his elbows against the cold metal, smoking slowly and shutting his eyes, wishing her didn’t have to wear the glasses which were sitting painfully right on the cut across his nose. The night air was chilly on his skin and he felt goose bumps lift the hairs on his arms, but he wasn’t about to go back inside for his shirt until he’d finished this cigarette.. And maybe the next one too.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 03:05:29 AM »
Mandy followed Ichabod toward the balcony and watched him while he smoked (grateful that she`d never taken up the habit). Her eyes combed over him with renewed interest as he stewed, taking earnest stock of the youth for the first time since they met. He was a handsome guy, no doubts there. It really was a shame that he would never be receptive to female affections. But to each, his or her own, she supposed.

She leaned bemusedly against the open frame of the sliding, glass doors (arms folded) - waiting for Ichabod to nearly finish his cigarette before speaking again. Despite his explination before, she wasn`t entirely certain she bought into his brand of reasoning.

“Why are you here?”

- Mark Twain

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 03:55:31 AM »
He stayed in the same position for a few seconds after he’d heard her speak before turning around to face her, leaning back against the rails again as he took another drag and let the smoke drift from between his lips slowly. His eyes fixed on hers as he tried to think about how to reply, his swollen eye still only half open. He had always been kind of anxious around women, especially when alone because he’d always thought he should be trying to get them to like him sexually, but they always saw him as more of a friend than anything else. At least now he knew why. He must have just been giving off all the wrong signals. At least now he didn’t need to worry about that, she wouldn’t even be interested in him anyway.

“I don’t know,” he said quietly, lowering his eyes from hers. She was sort of the last contact he had with the world he’d just left behind, even though he’d only just met her and she wasn’t one of them. But he wanted to forget about all of that as well, so why was he here?

“It’s… complicated,” he murmured with a small shrug of his bare shoulders, taking another drag of his cigarette. “And there was no one else,” he added softly, glancing over his shoulder at the view from her balcony. Who else was he supposed to go to? None of his other friends knew where he had been for the past few months and they wouldn’t understand anyway. She did. She knew. And she was there. When there was no one else who would have opened their door to him.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 04:08:53 AM »
Stepping over the modest landing (leading from her apartment to the balcony), Mandy joined Ichabod quietly at his side, resting her arms atop the banister as he had done moments before. He had to be freezing.

“Well, I know why you’re here,” she finally revealed, glancing at him from the side. “You`re here, because you need help… and acceptance.” If anyone understood what he was going through, it was her, and she liked to think that deep down inside, he might recognize this fact. She moved in closer, taking the cigarette from his lips and gently twisting the glowing ambers out on the railing (in effect, sparing the remainder of his ‘cancer stick’ for later).

Her eyes softened as she continued to speak.

“I realize that you`ve been through a lot - more than I will probably ever know… and we may have our differences…” She extended her hand, hoping that he would take it willingly, rather than forcing her to be a bitch, “But Ichabod, I`ve truly come to think of you as a friend. And as your friend, I`m asking you to please accept the help you came here to collect.”

If he took her offered hand, she would lead him back into the apartment then to the bathroom, and if it came right down to it – stand with him as he washed up. God only knew, the last thing he needed right now was to stumble, fall and crack his head wide open.

- Mark Twain

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 04:23:40 AM »
His eyes lifted to follow her as Mandy moved closer to him, still a bit dazed as he watched her, his head still spinning a little. He didn’t pull back or argue as she took his cigarette and put it out (noticing how carefully she was doing it) and when she held out her hand to him she accepted it willingly and let her lead him back into the flat where the contrasting warmth hit him straight away. A friend was good. A friend was something he needed and although there were things she had done that he disliked, he couldn’t blame her for loving Kerr. It wasn’t exactly something she could choose.

Once they were in the bathroom he turned on the shower and stripped, not caring that she was still standing there. In fact it was quite comforting, he really hated being alone, standing in the shower was just more time to mull on thoughts he didn’t want to have. “Come in with me?” He murmured the question as he took her hand again, giving it a small squeeze as he waited for the water to heat up, feeling like the room was spinning around him.