Author Topic: Shinigami\'s art dump  (Read 5082 times)

DoTheLimbo

Re: Shinigami\'s art dump
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 03:47:34 PM »
Beautiful shapes! :D The use of shapes to create your figures is wonderful. Very naturalistic while at the same time abstract. A great mixture of the two to create a style which plays with the viewer\'s perception. I also, personally, really enjoy the text boxes, their placement and color. Instead of being there because they have to be, you made the boxes part of the art piece.

I\'m unsure about the use of gradiants for the background. While it sort of works with the scene and gives focus to the character, at the same time it looks like it was done quickly or made easily and contrasts against the more detailed smoke. But the more I look at it, the more I\'m starting to like the effect. After all if you put a bunch of detail into the background, it would make one underappreciate the detail of the character.

Overall, very nice work and layout of a page. :thumbsup:

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »
Okay, that first frame doesn\'t work at all.  The rest is great, but the first frame... it took me ages to figure out that the pink square thing on the right is a building and that the corner of it has been snapped off.  I actually thought we were looking through a visor, through someone\'s eyes, at first, because the darker pink rectangle in the building just seemed like a sight of some sort.  The dark grey buildings on the left/foreground add to this unfortunate optical effect because they pretty much line up with the pink building.

Chop the rightmost grey/shadow building to give the eye a chance to roam - rather than get drawn exactly to the vertical almost perfectly in the centre, over and over - and make the pink building look more 3D by extending its width and you should be fine.  I\'m not a comic fan at all, but it\'s interesting and the superhero character shows progression from your other work because your proportion is evening out.  Where\'s the gf bit? :)
«~Infusco
Jeanne D'Arshan DavidKerr GalvinOwen HarperIndianaDominic KahoTau LeanderSamuel TaylorFrederigo Tripada

«~Infusco Past
Anatoli

«~Oberon Castle
Lam Dinaris PhinneusQueen Rochelle

«~Halflight
Aarik Cathmoor

Shinigami

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 07:06:11 AM »
yeah, about that... our library building on campus is unconventionally shaped... even so, i guess a better coloring job could have helped! that\'s why i\'m posting, so i can get some feedback! :D

and the gf bit is coming soon! middle of next week i guess?

Shinigami

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 10:58:18 AM »
page two of the comic... i tried to give the background more attention this go-around:

Shinigami

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
Pencils for a project in Computer Aided Graphic Design class...:

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »
That last one... you have an awesome grasp of anatomy.  Seriously fine stuff.  I love the pose, the face, the smile.
Infusco: Ben : Charon : Cicero : Helio : Jenna : Lazarus : Quin : Vincent : Yuri
Infusco Past: Tiberius
Oberon: Mayhew (Boy King)
Halflight: Samuel

Shinigami

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 04:16:14 AM »
thanks! here\'s the inked version... the project is showing a transition from analog media to digital stuff. i thought, what better way to illustrate that than a gradual transition from pencils to finished comic art! :D

Shinigami

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »
In color, with 3D city background done in Lightwave 3D...

Critiques are more than welcome! Please! The project is due tomorrow!! :S

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • The Relentless Muse Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »
I really love the coloring on her.  It is awesome!!!!  She looks so cool!  The background rocks too.  Backgrounds like that are a pain to do! (I still can\'t manage it, but I\'ll keep trying).

GOOD LUCK!  Your art rocks, so it shouldn\'t be a problem at all.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Lord Kysis Liari (Ένας πεσμένος ήρωας.),
Fenwick Baldor (Song, wine, and a bit of trouble),
Calista Liari (Θραύσματα Ομορφιά)

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 09:20:36 AM »
The anatomy is well done and the transition from pencil to 3-d is well shown. So I think that the assignment was well fulfilled. Did you sketch out the background at first or did you just create it from just 3-d on the whim? I would think it would help your assignment if you also showed that you had a sketch of what the city scape would do it and then used the 3-d to create that vision.

On a more art level, personally I\'m a little bit conflicted by the composition. I enjoy the asymmetrical part of it, but the various horizontal, vertical, and diagonal lines somehow seem to conflict against one another.  I\'m not sure how to exactly word it but I think the vertical lines of the city background conflict against the diagonal gesture of the figure. /shrug But that\'s just a personal thing, it still is a wonderful piece of art for the assignment it was presented with.

^-^ Great job.

Oh! And I was going to ask, is the little kanji thing your signature?

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
I like the pencil stage best <3 the anantomy and composition is great, and I love her expression. The face looks a little Micheal Turner-ish, to me (which isn\'t necessarily a bad thing).

I\'m gonna agree with Limbo about the background, though.
You are the  hole in my head
You are the space in my bed
You are the silence in between
What I thought
and what I said
You are the nighttime fear
You are the morning when it’s clear
When it’s over, you're the start
You're my head, you’re my heart
Florence + the Machine, "No Light, No Light"

Shinigami

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
I had to go to a cheerleading open gym so I had to stop working temporarily, but I\'m going to fade the figure in from pencils to inks to the fully colored version in a single image... back on the grind now, I guess!

and Limbo, I was thinking the same thing, retroactively sketching the city (yeah, I just did it on a whim) and fading the pencil version of the city with the figure as well... time and resources are against me, but I could probably get it done! :D

Hmm, now when do I eat? :p

I\'ll post a final update when I\'m done, but thanks again for the feedback on the color/3D part! :) You guys rock!

P.S.: Yeah, that\'s my sig... a nod to my philosophical idol, Bruce Lee, an unparalleled renaissance man. :)

Nemorensis

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »
龍 is the Traditional Chinese Character usually associated \'Dragon\'. :) (I\'m not sure if it is the same in Kanji, but I believe that it would be  since Kanji is a Hanzi derivative.)

On a critique note...I do agree with the other two that the background seems conflicting with the angle that you drew her at.  Something about her gaze is strangely off to me personally(but doesn\'t seem off in the pencil stage.).  

Criticism aside, it looks really professional! I would buy it. :p

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »
Silly Silly!  You NEVER eat until you\'re done with the assignment!

I\'ve gone without food for 24-32 hours before during a painting assignment. It\'s actually kinda fun.

On another note,

GOOD LUCK I wish the best on you getting your assignment done in time!

and wait... cheerleading open gym... you, dog, you. *sly grin*

Shinigami

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »
fixed the background angle... my gf agrees with Limbo and says that this one is better (and i can\'t really NOT take the word of a photography major! :P)

whatcha guys think?

@Nemo: yep, dragon, Bruce\'s nickname :D

@Limbo: haha, yeah, i\'ve been on the cheer squad for two years now and it\'s a love hate thing... i\'ve never been injured all my years of high school, collegiate, or even semi-pro football like i have been in cheer... in fact, i tweaked my knee in open gym! can\'t bend it much further than a limping walk right now :(