Author Topic: Squire in Training  (Read 11218 times)

w0rmy

Squire in Training
« on: September 10, 2007, 11:04:33 AM »
“Boy!”
“Hm? Ah!”

Whump.

The saddle could have easily been caught but due to Dee’s folly, it slid out of his fingers and landed heavily on the ground.  He cringed, the tree was surely to be broken and if it was… he didn’t want to think of the consequences. Bending down, tenderly picking up the saddle and checked to see if anything was damaged.

Phew

Nothing was broken, perhaps a bit battered but otherwise fine. The Knight with golden hair watched,
“What’s wrong, boy? You’re a moon calf today! Listen, ‘ere, boy.” Stepping a bit closer to Dee, “Groom down my horse and put him away. I got some tasks to do… that don’t require your presence so I’ll meet you later. Early dusk.”
The boy dearly wanted to smirk upon hearing this but just nodded loyally and watched his knight turn and walk away. Tasks huh? More like seeing the merchant’s daughter! He laughed lightly and thought no more about the subject.  

After the grooming was completed, Dee led the horse back its stall.
“You know… you’re a lucky horse to have a stall like this.”
He smiled and patted the horses’ muzzle. It was a beautiful beast, a golden coat with a flaxen mane and tail. Just beautiful.

Pencawr felt quite disgusting, he was sweaty and was only wear breeches and boots and his hair was a mess! If someone was to look, he thought bitterly, they would assume that Dee was a stable boy. Well, at least, he wasn’t dirty… just sweaty.

DoTheLimbo

Re: Squire in Training
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
The day had started well. Galen woke up early due to a patch of sunlight that snuck past the window curtains. Before breakfast, he went right to work. The doctor had been waiting in his sleep to document the previous night\'s surgery. Galen was frustrated over the failure. He could not figure out how to avoid a punctured lung from collapsing during surgery. While the surgery didn\'t occur often, he was well into the process of figuring it out from six previous incidents. The event last night was actually a surprise. Galen had been headed home from visiting a sickly elder noble when one of the noble\'s servants informed him of a nearby stable boy. Apparently, the stable boy had been brushing the horses when one of them went wild. A rough kick to the stomach sent the boy flying right into one of the beams. Unfortunately for the boy that particular beam had a spike sticking out. Since Galen had all of his supplies with him at that moment, he decided it would be an excellent opportunity to practice surgery. During the process however, the punctured wound decided to collapse all the way leaving the boy to die from lack of air and blood loss. Disappointed at yet another failed lung surgery, Galen skipped breakfast before heading out for a morning appointment.

On his way down the road, he couldn\'t help but regret not grabbing extra layers of clothes. His usual doublet and pants were hardly enough to keep the morning chill away. Exhaling, he watched his breath mix in with the fog. It was times like these he wondered why he always refused to take another form of transportation such as a horse. Galen reminded himself that it was proven in his documentation that being active tends to help one live longer. He shook his head at this thought wishing it was easier to live long. His auburn curls bounced around. Once more, due to the overcast weather, his hair had decided to be more rebellious than usual and frizz into something that resembled a cotton ball. He had pulled the curls together in a thick ponytail, and for extra effort wore a simple hat.

As he walked through the mist, he watched the countryside. The stables from last night came into view. Galen paused for a moment. An idea suddenly appeared. Perhaps if he could get the spike from last night, he could practice on a live animal. A rush of adrenaline went through the man\'s body. What a brilliant idea! With the rush, Galen quickly turned and began to jog towards the stable.

In just a few more minutes, Galen was passing through the stable entrance. Many of his curls had escaped the confines of the ponytail and bounced around the man\'s reddened face. The excited jogging had caused a light sweat and shortened breath. He didn\'t mind however as he looked around for the spike. Galen paced quickly down the stables, examining every beam in the stalls. He passed right by the stable boy, not acknowledging there was anyone else there. Galen was too caught up in passion for a new experiment. He reached the end of a stall. Breathing quickly, he stared at the fresh straw. A rather loud curse word left his lips. The servants had already cleaned up. All of the bloody straw, some of his smaller supplies that he had left on accident, the body, and the spike. He kicked at the beam, muttering obscenities that would make any noblewoman blush. Galen tried to remind himself he could he get another spike, but he had wanted the one from last night.

w0rmy

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 08:43:28 AM »
He gave the horse a quick rub down before making his way out of the stables. Or at least, Dee was going to walk out if it weren\'t for a noise which distracted him. There was no one else here except himself but really, there was nothing to get suspicious about, after all, plenty of people came here everyday to get their horses! And anyway, it was none of the youth\'s business... however, the curiosity seemed to take over and so Dee began to look around. He just wanted to see what the person looked like at least, not to talk to them or anything just to... look.

And to Dee\'s great surprise, he heard a series of muttering from the nearest stall! He had never heard such words and the boy couldn\'t help but let out a little giggle. The man (he assumed it was a man, no woman or child could possess such a deep voice) was obviously displeased about something and Dee just had to find out!

The redhead took several steps closer and peaked around the corner to see the owner of the voice. It was a man of course with curly hair much like his own except his hair was strawberry blonde... and not as curly. As for the man\'s age, Dee was not sure and guessed around his early fourties or late thirties.

"Excuse me." Enough with the staring and on with the talking, the boy thought. "Are you looking for anything?" Oh God, Dee sounded like a stable boy! How embarrassing! He was a squire and acting as if... as if he wanted to help! Yes, that\'s right. There was no desire in the squire\'s body to help, he was just curious. Yes, simply curious. Is that really such a bad thing?

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
Galen was about to start looking for a different spike until someone spoke up. He glanced over, his curls bouncing around his face.  Staring down at the boy, he quickly straightened his posture. A soft blush appeared on his mildly aged face, embarrassed at having been found by a young boy muttering obscenities beside a horse stall. He gathered the escaped curls and retied his ponytail in an attempt to clean himself up.

"Hello." He responded. Galen was flustered but he did not forget his manners, "I\'m sorry," He apologized about the swearing, "And yes, I am." Pausing for a second, Galen\'s embarrased expression switched to a hopeful one. He pointed towards the splintered beam in the stall, "Do you know where the spike that was there went?" Galen tried hard to keep his anxious hope down, resulting in his voice sounding strain.

Galen would be absolutly in debt to the boy if he knew where the spike was. The doctor hoped that the worst didn\'t happen and the spike wasn\'t melted down in some shop. He cringed mentally at the idea. Galen moved his thoughts instead to wait for the boy\'s answer. His grayish eyes surveyed the boy\'s body for a moment before gazing into Dee\'s eyes as he anxiously waited for the reply.

w0rmy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:29:21 PM »
The boy rested his head upon the stall’s door and folded his arms and continued to watch the man. Not once did his odd coloured eyes leave the other’s face, he wanted to how good looking the red head was. Yes, the boy was incredibly vain and did not enjoy being in the company of those who were… ‘ugly’. It was unbelievably shallow but that is just how it rolled with Dee. His father had talked about how wrong it was to associate with such people and even though the youth loathed his father… he couldn’t help but to agree.

He twirled the ends of his hair with a single finger and now there was a little smile on his face. Dee was amused by the other man but it was nice to see another redhead. You never see them around much these days, they were a rare sort. Dee could see the other’s features and was not disgusted or turned down. There were a few lines in the man’s face and a few grey streaks here and there but who cared?

“What are you looking for?” Though, Dee doubted if he could supply the answer. It wasn’t as if he spent all of his time here! “A spike?” He repeated and scratched his chin. Why on earth would someone want a spike when a sword was perfectly adequate! And-oh what’s this? Dee did not miss the wondering eyes of the man. “Well, I cannot help you… I do not spend a lot of my time here you see. I only come here to look after my Knight’s horse, you see, so I’m sorry. I cannot help you.” Dee bit his bottom lip and then asked a question. “Why do you need a spike for? I’m sure a sword would be perfectly fine.” He dared to take a step closer. He wanted to see the man up closer… Dee loved studying people. Simply loved it.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
Galen nodded as the boy repeated his request. He hoped this boy would know where it was. As Dee answered, Galen’s worries became confirmed. He let out a disappointed sigh. It took Galen a couple seconds of moving his gaze from the stall to the boy in thought until he shrugged.

“I see.“ He responded, “That’s quite alright.” The doctor paused to breathe. The excitament of searching for the spike and talking to Dee had caused shortened breath. Despite Galen’s active lifestyle, with his older age it was becoming more difficult to keep us his stamina. He gasped quietly for a minute before his breathing became more steady. He listened as Dee asked a question. The doctor offered a small smile towards the other.

“The spike is important to conduct research for a surgery.” He glanced at the boy. Galen felt like he was getting evaluated according to the boy’s expression. When Dee took a step closer, his gaze once again flickered over the other’s body before returning to meet Dee’s gaze.

“I’m sorry. Lack of sleep and the morning air is making me rude.” The doctor spoke up. He nodded his head and reached out his hand. “I’m Doctor Galen Boivin, and you are?” Galen held his hand out waiting to shake the other’s hand. Considering his last surgery was unsuccessful there was no reason not to shake the boy’s hand. If it had been successful however, Galen would have refrained from touching other people due to superstitious hopes.

w0rmy

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
Dee continued to watch the stranger, not once tearing his eyes away. He wanted to make sure that there was nothing physically wrong with the stranger and so far, he had found nothing. And anyway, what else was there to look at? It wasn’t as there was anything interesting this empty stall. The boy had no idea what had happened here previously and if he did, he would not care.

Dee took the man’s hand and gave it a firm squeeze, “A pleasure to meet you, Doctor Galen.” He smiled, “Do not be sorry, it’s completely understandable. You were looking for something but did not find it so you’re clearly upset about that… anyway; I am Dubhdara Pencawr the Fifth, son of Lord Dubhdara Pencawr the Fourth however, you may call me Dee. That is if you wish.” The young Squire took back his hand let it hang limply by his side. He hoped that his hand wasn’t too sweaty and it didn’t disgust the Doctor…the youth knew he felt disgusted with himself. Dee wanted to take a bath or at least rub his body with a bag.

“So, Doctor Galen, what are you going to do?” The red head asked, “I mean, what are you going to use instead of a spike?” Dee didn’t want Galen to leave just yet and so, asking questions seemed like the perfect solution. He had nothing else to do today… well, sure, he should be studying but Dee didn’t really feel like it. He would do it later.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
Galen listened to the introduction fit for a noble. Apparently, Dee had a strong sense of pride in his family line. Galen felt a tad jealous over such devotion. It was hard enough for him to admit to his last name when introducing to himself, let alone mention his father’s name. The jealousy was purely independent, and Galen offered the boy a genuine smile.

The doctor did not notice or care that Dee’s hand was sweaty but he automatically wiped his hand off on his shirt. It was a quick and subtle action which Galen did when his hands became to moist which happened often in his work. There were many blood-stained shirts that he owned. Despite the causality of all his shirts, it was a hard habit to break.  

“Dee.” Galen repeated softly, so he wouldn’t forget the squire’s name. He listened to Dee’s question. A thoughtful expression appeared on his face. He bit his lower lip as he tried to think of an answer. What was he going to do?

“Well, I suppose I could always go and find a new spike. I wanted the other one for merely selfish purposes.”  Galen responded, searching his mind for who he should speak to in order to acquire a new beam spike.

w0rmy

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:09:40 PM »
Dee once again folded his arms but did not step backwards. He would stay rooted on the spot unless something told him to go forward or back.

“Selfish purposes?” He repeated; his lips adorned with a mischievous smile. The boy wondered what purposes the doctor was speaking of. Was there something more to the spike than just… well, medical ‘things’?  However, Dee asked said nothing more about the spike and instead asked, “What is your background? I don’t see a lot of red heads around and it’s very nice to see another.” He smiled and cracked a wink, “I cannot tell by your last name… never the less, you seem like you have good blood, am I right?  You a re a doctor and not just anyone can become a doctor.”

Dee hoped that this Galen had good blood or at least, good enough. The boy didn’t exactly enjoy spending his time with commoners… then again; a doctor is by no means a commoner. They are much higher and nobler then them! Ugh, the thought of those filthy people made the boy sick to the stomach. Anyway, it was not the time to think such trivial thoughts.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 06:45:33 AM »
Galen’s brow furrowed with confusion at the boy’s tone of voice. He wondered why the boy had such a wicked smile. Perhaps it was an inside joke or Galen was just getting too old to understand young humor. As he tried to understand what was funny about selfish purposes, a curl escaped from the ponytail to bounce in front of his face. Galen quickly tucked the curl back behind his ear.

The next question took Galen aback. While the question about background wasn’t an uncommon question, he hadn’t expected this boy to ask. He paused, thinking about how to answer when Dee winked at him. An amused smirk appeared on Galen’s features. This boy apparently was raised in nobility. Such attitude for a squire.

“I suppose one could objectively say that I have good blood.” Galen responded, but it was obvious by his tone of voice he did not agree, “My parents were nobility, if you’re around here you may have heard of Duchess Glenna? She’s my mother.” He offered a small shrug of his shoulders as he wouldn’t be offended if the boy didn’t know of Glenna. “As for my background, I am unsure. Red hair has been a trait in the family for as long as we can trace back.“ The doctor skipped the introduction of his father altogether and instead attempted to switch the focus on the boy instead.

“How long have you been a squire,” He paused for a moment, trying to remember the name of the boy, “…Dee.” Galen finished as soon as the name appeared back in his thoughts.

w0rmy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »
“Duchess Glenna?” The boy repeated, thinking whether or not if had heard that name before… ah yes he had. Dee had heard father talk about her previously, “Yes, I’ve heard of her but I had no idea she had a son. And such a good looking one too.” There. He finally said it. Dee had been waiting for the chance to say that and now seemed like the perfect time too.

The question that Galen asked surprised the youth and it took him a moment or two to reply. Not many people asked the question. “I’ve been a squire since I turned six years old, a bit early than the usual but my father… father wanted me to become a knight soon as possible. So, to answer your question, I’ve been a squire since I’ve been six years old, Doctor Galen.” The red head didn’t want to directly say his age for it might turn off Galen and Dee didn’t want that. Oh no, he didn’t want that all.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 09:23:54 AM »
Galen gave a soft nervous chuckle at the boy‘s compliment. It wasn‘t very often that Galen heard a young squire boy call him ‘good-looking’. He didn‘t think much farther than it being a rather odd compliment. The doctor could be considered good-looking, often the way he carried himself and his position added to the charm factor. Galen just never thought about himself that way, his thoughts had other things to worry about such as his medicine research.

The doctor watched the youth look surprised at his own question. He supposed that they both were asking and saying things that neither heard from their usual company. Such is what happens when a youth and an older man meet. Galen nodded as Dee answered to show he was listening.

“Well, starting at young ages is not a bad thing. In fact it’ll most likely turn out to be for your advantage.” Galen answered offering a sincere smile. His gaze flickered for a second down the boy’s body. A quick motion but long enough that it was noticeable. He continued to speak, “I’m certain you are very proficient at the sword then.”

w0rmy

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »
The quiet chuckle increased the smile on Dee’s face and he took, yet another step forward. He was probably less than a metre away from the man. Even though Dee was a whole lot closer, he still not regret coming towards Galen. Galen was not a bad looking man, the boy mused. Once again, Dee thought about his age but really wasn’t that concerned. Age wasn’t much of a big deal for the squire… well; he wouldn’t go over fifty that’s for sure!

Dee opened his mouth but then closed upon seeing the Doctor’s eyes linger on his body. Did Galen actually think he wouldn’t notice that? “I guess so.” Dee agreed and took another step forward, looking in the other’s eyes. “The sword? Yes, I’m getting quite good at it… except I’m more self taught than anything. My knight has an ‘active-social life’ if you know what I mean.” He cracked yet another wink. “Hmm. You have a nice shade of grey eyes, you know, Doctor Galen. I thought they were blue at first but obviously not.”

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 09:58:31 AM »
Galen couldn’t help but look down at Dee. The boy was so close to him and Galen just noticed. Galen’s sense of personal space was very minimum since growing up as a doctor and dissecting beings caused him to find someone being nearby hardly anything to worry about. Yet his hands ached to reach out and hold onto Dee’s shoulders. He felt as if he didn’t touch Dee, Dee was going to touch him anyways.

The doctor offered another chuckle as Dee spoke about the knight. He could tell that Dee was a very independent young man. Galen was about to tell Dee this when the boy complimented him yet again. This compliment caused a soft blush to appear on Galen’s cheeks.

“Why thank you.” He replied. Galen wondered why exactly the squire was so into complimenting. The doctor’s gaze stayed firmly on Dee’s gaze now but his fingers ached until he couldn’t stand it anymore. Galen reached out and placed a hand on Dee’s shoulder. It was a gentle grip, non-threatening but kept Dee from pressing against his body which Galen feared the boy and his stepping forward might do. He smiled, “You’re a very clever boy…” He was going to say he had to go find the spike but his words faded out and he fell silent.

w0rmy

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 10:11:06 AM »
The slight blush in Galen’s cheeks told Dee that the compliment had worked. And the funny thing is; the boy really meant it. He liked the man’s eyes.  They were really a nice shade of grey.

And then Galen placed his hand firmly but gently onto his shoulder and it surprised the boy. Dee had thought he would have to make the first move but obviously not. It also told him that Galen was in deed interested! “Thank you, Doctor Galen.” Dee whispered and boldly rested a hand upon the other’s chest. Yes, Dee did want to press himself against Galen but couldn’t do it right now… he would wait. After all, to those who wait shall receive… or something like that. Dee couldn’t remember how it went.

“So, Doctor Galen... do you like men?” The question wasn’t necessary but Dee felt like asking it anyway. It was just how the boy \'rolled\'.