Author Topic: Cheers  (Read 6150 times)

Reaver

Cheers
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »
Dark bangs hanging limpy across his eyes, Magnus let the smells and sound of the inn wash over him. His eyes were half closed, although his gaze was intent, wandering. Although the effects of the drink had muted his thinking some, he still had a sharp mind, and a firm grip on the neck of the axe on his hip.

It would be a difficult task to jump him, but Magnus wasn\'t worried. He felt at home among this sort of folk, and had already rented himself a room. If they wanted to set upon him, they\'d have plenty of time to work up the nerve to; he had payed for a time\'s rent in advance, openly showing the wealth he carried. Secretly, he sent most of what remained after the rent back to the Zirat\'s camp, along with orders to start finding jobs.

Several of them were already busy tending to Dag\'s farm, the secret his brother thought safe from him, and a few more of the band had already departed for home, willing to face the diseases and poverty plagueing the area. Magnus could understand that, he wanted to go home as badly as anyone else. The estate was intact, but their fortune was diminished.

Magnus had finally figured out why Dag had needed to move. It seems that business was not doing as well as he had thought. The \'disease\' they had heard of back home, had been much more and was still claiming lives. Dag had known all along. He had kept Magnus in the dark, just like with the farm.

Should he go there? Dag wouldn\'t expect it, and Magnus never had the upper hand over him in their constant battle of wits and treachery. Eyes narrowing even more, he took a long draught of his drink and wiped at the edge of his mouth with the back of his hand. He fit in perfectly. Just as he fit in perfectly for Dag\'s plans. He might have to do something about that.

His melancholy had etched a wrinkle across his forehead, and he quickly went about kneeding it back into reflected calm. There was no need for hard feelings. His brother simply did business well, he likely didn\'t think of other people. There was a defined difference between amoral and immoral.

Stiffling a yawn, he turned it into a stretch and smiled. This was a time to be happy. He had a place to stay, his company was finally settling down and going their own ways, and he had a permit for his weapons. He was happy for his brother, too. Success wasn\'t something to criticize his brother for, and all Magnus had to worry about now was a job.

Looking around the inn with his half blinded-gaze, he doubted very much that he would be finding any work at the moment. A good conversation, perhaps.

DoTheLimbo

Re: Cheers
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »
"That should do it." Galen stated, clicking his doctor\'s bag shut. He glanced at the paled woman sitting on the stool. Her sunken eyes stared at the bed where her husband lied, unconscious. He waited for a reply. When none came, he spoke up again, "He should wake up by morning. I will ask the inn keep to have breakfast ready for you when he does. Also, keep water by all night and pour some into his mouth every now and then." The woman simply nodded. Galen let out a sigh, "If you have any more questions or if any complications come up regarding to your husband\'s health..." He stopped speaking as the woman turned around. Her lower lip trembled, apparently close to tears. At this moment, Galen regretted letting her stay during the course of the surgery. She spoke up, "What do I do if he is in pain?" Galen nodded, "Simply let him either inhale or ingest the herbs I gave you. I assure you he will at first, but as he heals make sure he stretches his back out more every day. The healing should go well, but I stress to you he won\'t be able to work in the fields anymore." Galen paused waiting for the woman to nod in understanding. When she did, he smiled, "Good. Well then, if there is no other questions you have I would like to head out and get back to my home. Thank you for contacting me about your husband\'s unique situation." He turned and walked out of the room.

Galen shut the door behind him softly. He rolled his shoulders back, wincing as his back cracked. Setting his bag down on the floor, he reached up to fix his hair. Pulling back any loose curls, he retied his ponytail. The Doctor let out another relieved sigh trying to relieve the tension held in him from the surgery. When he felt the redness in his face dissipate and his muscles relax, he picked his bag up and headed down the stairs to the busy bar.

It had been a difficult yet successful surgery. Galen felt accomplished. He hadn\'t had a surgery that went so well for a couple months, let alone one that had to do with the spine. Galen was beginning to think that the poor was the perfect candidates for surgery and experiments rather than the rich who only contacted illness but rarely physical injuries.

Galen walked up to the bar\'s counter, looking around for the barkeep. He needed to inform one of the help about having something in the morning for the patient and delivering more water up there. The doctor was also considering sending up a meal for the weary wife.

Leaning over the counter, Galen yawned softly. As his body began to let go of the stress and concentration of surgery, weariness and relief overtook him. Placing a hand onto his forehead, he sat down in the nearest bar stool. He murmured to himself out loud, "Perhaps I should get a water for myself as well." Despite the success and where he was, Galen did not want to drink any wine or alcoholic beverage. He could not risk being put under the influence in a place like this when he should be headed home to write down what the surgery entailed. Staring down at the floor, trying to gain a steadiness, Galen\'s body slumped against the counter. He decided it was better just to lay against the counter rather than try and force his body to stand. His back raised up and down as he took deep breathes. He hoped the barkeep would come by soon so he could get some water.

Reaver

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
Shaking himself awake, Magnus took a long sip of his drink before noting that the tankard was long empty. He hadn\'t been there long, but he was already relaxed, his muscles loose and mind refreshed. Of course, the drinking was fogging things up a bit.

Standing with a barely regestered yawn and sharp, cracking stretch, he started off towards the bar. His steps, although sluggish, were boistered by a lightly placed frame, and a pose trained into Magnus by years of struggle in combat. Standing, running, walking, even sitting, he was always ready for battle. Thinking on it, he tried to loosen up more. The inn didn\'t seem quite that bad, and he could hold his own if anyone did attack him.

Too many years in combat. It would take him awhile to get used to this city life. Stopping at the bar, he tossed a coin and smiled into a new tankard. He supposed he could have waited at his table, but something had drawn his attention to the bar. "Water to cleanse or embolden? You look tired." Magnus offered a hand for the stranger to shake. Most people looked like that after drinking.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »
Galen propped himself up on his elbows. He brought a hand back to his neck, rubbing it softly. It took the doctor a second to realize that he was being spoken to. Galen glanced to the out-stretched hand of the stranger. He nodded politely to Magnus, "Water is a remedy for both." He replied once his thoughts had processed the question. Galen moved his gaze to look for the barkeep. Seeing him near, Galen limply waved to get his attention.

Turning back to Magnus, Galen mentioned, "I doubt you would want to shake my hand, stranger." Speaking to another person had gained some strength in Galen\'s body and it showed as he straightened his posture. A curl escaped the restrains of the ponytail and bounced beside his face as he explained his rudeness, "I recently completed medical procedures and it is not advised for me to touch others’ hands." It was a rule Galen had made for himself long ago. While he had not proven if touching others after surgery caused risk to him or the patient, it was still a possibility and he did not want to risk the success just to be polite.

Galen\'s focus was shifted for a minute as the barkeep walked over. He explained the predicament of delivering breakfast to the room above and ordered water. The barkeep, use to Galen coming in now and then to perform or heal wealthier peasants, quickly complied to the requests.

With a cool mug of water in front of him, Galen turned his attentions back to the stranger who had struck up a conversation. He could tell the man had been drinking for some time. He also could tell that the man had some wealth considering the clothing that was being worn. Galen wondered if the man was a traveler.

Reaver

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »
Magnus\' eyebrows arched, and he took a sip of his drink to consider what was said a moment. The concept of advanced medical procedure wasn\'t new to him, but knowledge around his home on the topic was limited to the removal of limbs or attempts to balance blood. This man seemed to be hinting at something grander, if that were possible. The word advanced hadn\'t been on the man\'s tongue, but somehow it felt as if it belonged.

Respect for the stranger rising, he shrugged at the refusal to shake hands and instead took in his appearance. Clean, that certainly hinted at some sophistication, and the man was drinking water at a bar, in an inn known for its drinking crowd. So a man that others respected to leave well enough alone then.

"No offense taken." Magnus smiled. It was probably for the best. Although, if the man was worried about cleanliness or Magnus\' ability to belly the thought of what had passed over his hands, than a good laugh was in order. He restrained though. He knew little about \'medical procedures,\' the man likely had a decent reason.

"I\'m afraid it\'s becoming habit for me to forget my manners. Magnus Gulbrand, a bloody pleasure to meet you." He grinned, meaning no offense but realizing \'bloody\' probably wasn\'t among the best words to use around a man of medicine.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »
Galen let a small polite smile grace his lips. He was a tad amused at the stranger’s words. The doctor took a drink of water before responding to the introduction. He searched his brain for the name Gulbrand. Alas, it was too late at night and it had been too busy of a day for Galen to find any mention of that name in his work or his social circle. He set the mug of water down on the counter.

“Nice to meet you, Magnus.” He paused, feeling as if he should bow again but he restrained. The man next to him had shown no nobility or rank to deserve a second nod of the head or bow. Instead Galen returned the introduction with his own, “Doctor Galen Boivin,” He lowered his gaze to the floor when he mentioned his last name, but as soon as they had seen the floor he returned the gaze to meet Magnus’s drunken stare, “Are you enjoying yourself for any particular reason this night?“

Galen had almost asked Magnus if he was a traveler or a local noble, but Galen did not for fear of being an invasive or rude question. After all, he did not want to know if the tipsy man next to him was a lord no more than if he was a peasant. However, Galen wondered why he had not seen or heard of the other. Perhaps he was getting too isolated from the social network of Oberon. He supposed he had been spending more time than usual on his work.

Reaver

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
All Magnus could do was nod at the man\'s name. Galen, that was certainly an interesting name. He wouldn\'t forget that. As he was new to the area, he didn\'t know if he should know the name or not. The way the man lowered his gaze, it was either a name Galen was ashamed of, or humbly proud of. If anything else, it confused Magnus.

"I\'m just celebrating. I have a place to stay," He jerked a finger towards the stairs and grinned, "and I\'m seeking employment. Not much to celebrate for, but I always have found celebrating to be a worthy thing to pass the time with." Waving his tankard, he took a deep draught and wiped the froth from his mouth. He was nearing his limit. He\'d have to take a long walk after this to keep his mind in some sort of useful shape.

He was nearing the end of this tankard, and thoughtfully watched the liquids swirl at the bottom as he moved it. "I don\'t know much about medicine." He looked up, "I lead... led a mercenary unit, and the best our bloody surgeon could do for us was remove limbs before infection spread, or send us out into more combat to lose a little blood and balance our humours. To tell you the truth, I don\'t much believe that, but anything we could do against infection was worth every drop of blood and sweat." He scratched his chin, glancing over at Galen. He wasn\'t sure why he had said that. Either he was closer to his limit than he thought, or he just wasn\'t the conversationalist he claimed to be.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
Galen couldn’t help but just smile as Magnus waved his tankard about. He had forgotten how the company of someone that drank could be just as entertaining as it could be annoying. Taking another drink from his humble water, he nodded. He was too weary to slip in something to say before Magnus continued talking on.

Shifting his weight against the counter, he crossed his legs in an attempt to get more comfortable. So, the man was a mercenary or use to be at least. Galen was glad that was answered without him having to ask out loud. He wondered if this information that the man was sharing would end up being a drunken life story conversation. Galen had heard many of those from many nobles.

When Magnus finished talking, Galen nodded to show that he was listening. He tucked a curl behind his ear. “Well, surgery in battle tends to be high pressure. The most educated man could go in and everything he learned before could disappear from his thoughts the moment the battle breaks out.” Galen did believe this. He had been approached many of times by soldiers and for other causes to provide medical assistance on a battlefield. Galen refused. He did not want to risk forgetting things or being killed himself in that sort of atmosphere. Galen was too devoted to his writings to leave them behind without finishing them.

Galen’s gaze surveyed Magnus once more. He noticed the man was beginning to sway just a little in his manners. From experience, Galen could tell Magnus was getting pretty close to reaching the edge. Stretching a little bit, he offered, “Would you like to go outside for a quick breath of fresh air. I would benefit greatly from it, I have been inside for more than the whole day.”

Reaver

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »
Finishing off his tankard and sliding it down the bar, Magnus smiled wolfishly. "Just what I was thinking. I need some sharp air to \'fresh my mind." He pulled out a rag, using it as a napkin, before standing. He wasn\'t completely without manners, and he didn\'t want to offend the man. He just, looked so clean. Magnus felt like some kind of beggar out of the woods next to him.

"I know what you mean about the combat thing though. A bloody mess, always. We lost our first surgeon just two years into our work..." Magnus spread his hands innocently, "he mistakingly ran to an enemy thinking he was one of us." Swiping a hand across his throat, he winked. "At least it was quick." That had been the last time he let any of his surgeons near the fighting, unless an officer was down. He needed his commanders in shape, or at least the next in command ready to take over. After that loss, it was a stand back up and fight, or lay down and hope to live until the battle ceased sort of deal.

Unconciously checking the axe and mace at his belt, he shifted them to rest in easy reach of each unthinking hand. Another habit had him rolling his shoulders to crack his neck while he shot a quick glance at the door. After a moment, he realized what had transpired and growled, muttering while readjusting the weapons on his belt to be slightly askew. He pointedly kept his gaze off of the stairwell and door until Galen was ready to go. "Habits."

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »
Galen\'s features grimaced in understanding as Magnus continued talking about surgeons on the battlefield. Battle was so unnecessary according to Galen. He was a strong believer in diplomacy rather than groups of people killing each other off. Moving his gaze to stare at his mug, he tilted it up to finish the water. Instead of sliding it down the bar as Magnus had with his tankard, Galen stood up and walked over. He set it softly on the place before looking back towards Magnus.

"Well then shall we head out?" Galen asked. He watched as Magnus played with his the tools on his belt. Galen surveyed the axe with slight discontent. Just as he was with battles, he wasn\'t a strong believer in weapons. He found it disappointing that Oberon still required such weapons to keep safe. Galen never carried weapons. There had been only a couple instances where he would have needed them, but he usually got out of situations such as that. His rank in society often earned him automatic respect and if not that, the fact that he wore simple clothing instead of flaunting wealth was also another reason why he was often safe in places such as the inn. Many peasants knew him, and most owed them for performing a special surgery or tending to an illness of a loved one.

"Tis alright." Galen replied to Magnus\'s apology of \'habits\'. He could understand that one in battle was often paranoid. The paranoia was probably heightened by the alcohol as well. Galen took another glance at the axe, "You often keep weapons near, don\'t you?" He asked making conversation and turning to start heading towards the door.

Reaver

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
Magnus scowled, having hoped Galen would leave that question unasked. He didn\'t like drawing attention to his weapons, it just kept happening. It was a good thing he was down to carrying just three weapons, or the man never would have spoken to him. That had him chuckling again, and he turned his attention towards following Galen towards the door. "I always keep weapons near. I\'m just used to carrying the bloody things. Doesn\'t feel right without their weight at my sides." He flicked the axe with a finger and winced at the resounding ring. "Not the best companions to keep, I suppose."

He let his gaze pass casually over the crowd, to note who was watching and who wasn\'t. A simple curiousity, rather than paranoia. He wanted to know who his drinking companions would be. "Not that odd of a place for a man of medicine, now that I think on it." He smiled, realizing that the rough crowd was probably popular for Galen. Perhaps he was wrong though, he qasn\'t quite sure how well known the man was.

DoTheLimbo

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:27:25 AM »
Galen watched the axe as Magnus talked about the weapons. He nodded, "Oh I see." He responded. He didn\'t mean to make Magnus uncomfortable with the question. It was curious though, how the man kept the weapons near yet talked so vehemntly against them. Galen wondered if it was a mercenary thing. He attempted to translate to his own life. Galen guessed weapons to Magnus was like parchment and ink to himself. With this understanding, he opened the door of the inn.

Galen held the door open as Magnus gazed over the crowd. He returned the smile at Magnus\'s words. "No, in fact I much prefer to frequent areas such as these than noble houses. Much more interesting and challenging tasks to overcome." He waited for Magnus to continue outside before speaking on, "Many times nobles call for me when they acquire a small cough. When I get a call for these places," He glanced back at the bar, "I am assured that it will be worth my time."

(Continue in \'Cheers (continued)\')