Author Topic: The Jigsaw Phenomenon  (Read 10544 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: The Jigsaw Phenomenon
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 07:28:45 AM »
With a sideways glance at the seats available to them, she sighed quietly, seeing that she would have no choice but to sit on them.  It would be amusing but terribly embarrassing if she couldn\'t get up afterwards, but so be it; she didn\'t want to anger him by insisting they move elsewhere, although... ah, she\'d just have to risk his ire.

"Um... do you think we could go somewhere else, though?" she asked him hesitantly.  "Maybe the lounge?

Or your bedroom?  Your bed is very comfortable.

Somewhere I can stretch my leg anyway, I seem to... well... " she broke off awkwardly, blushing because she was gesturing at her crippled left leg aimlessly.  She broke off, took a breath and got out what she wanted to say.  "Hew kicked me a beauty and I\'ve got a corked thigh.  It hurts like a bitch and if I sit there... well, I might not get up," she informed Dagger shyly, nodding at the chair nearest her and giving an embarrassed little laugh.  It was weird to be feeling vulnerable to him and not wanting him to fix things for her (though she did, really... she just knew she shouldn\'t).

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 09:11:32 AM »
The lounge, being directly opposite the drawing room, was a room that Dagger saw no reason to deny his ex permission to sit within - especially with an injury.  He used to tend to her, and missed having the excuse of touching and rubbing her legs.  The fingers of his hands twitched minutely at the memory but instead of lingering he nodded acutely with an \'of course\' and turned on his heel to stand beside the doorway, gesturing for her to go through.  His polite show was of noble standing, and expected in the community with a lady present (that was not a servant).  Dagger was being polite with her, as he had been since the end of their intimate relationship.  He was treating her as he treated any woman, courteously, emotionlessly.  This was of course a face he presented, for there was turmoil inside him, though his body language and his eyes were guarded.

The chairs in the living room were taller and firmer, with arms that the Captain would be able to lean heavily on in order to help herself up.  Dagger hadn\'t missed the use of his name on her lips, but he\'d not reacted to it, nor would he use her name so familiarly.  It was the best way for him to deal with the situation - to remain in control.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 02:33:11 PM »
She limped after him with a grateful, "Thank you," thinking nothing of gently grasping his upper arm in further thanks as she passed him.  What she really wanted to come to the lounge for was the two-seater that she could stretch her leg out on (it was too short for it to be really comfortable, but at least she could angle her long left leg along it, for the most part), so she made straight for it.  She had the grace to toe her boot off before she sat down, of course, showing how familiar she was in his home - even if he wasn\'t prepared to loosen up.  As soon as she apologised, she expected things would get better.

Giving a little groan as she settled and began rubbing the thigh again, Lam followed it with a wry laugh as she looked towards Dagger.  She found herself wanting to talk inanely about her training session and her meeting with the king but bit her tongue, waiting to see what he did first.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 07:29:11 AM »
He closed his eyes in a long blink when she made contact with him.  He both resented her and was relieved by her continued familiarity around him.  He intended on giving her multiple examples why her earlier decision to leave him was a stupid one, but he didn\'t wish to be interrupted in the middle of it.

He moved from the doorway of the drawing room to the doorway of the lounge, watching Lam settle down on the chaise and keeping an eye out for Mia, so that the young cook would know which room they\'d disappeared into.  Of course if she\'d stepped into the drawing room, turning around would\'ve spied them across the hallway, but he knew Mia well enough already that this might embarrass her.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 07:42:57 AM »
Lam frowned vaguely at the fact that Dagger stayed in the doorway but realised (when she saw him casting expectant glances behind him) that the kitchen girl might have something to do with it.  Dagger had likely told her to get them something to eat - or, more precisely, to get Lam something to eat, considering he knew well how expansive her appetite always was (and she hadn\'t stopped to eat lunch at the castle, as she\'d been invited to do) - and wanted to be sure she arrived promptly.  She found it odd that he was keeping watch like the young redhead was likely to get lost, but she might not have worked there long.

Either way, with him keeping his distance and an interruption imminent, she didn\'t feel it a good time to launch into the apology speech she\'d rehearsed just yet.  Instead, she focussed on massaging her thigh - finding the thick material of her pants hurt in the rubbing and wishing he\'d just take her up to his bedroom so she could get rid of her uniform, but supposing that was something best left for her home now, despite the fact that he\'d seen it all before - and looking vaguely around the room.  Her gaze always came back to him, though, and the more the silence stretched, the more obvious it became that they were both waiting for something - or, rather, someone.

"What\'s your new kitchen hand\'s name?" she asked mildly, bowing to the inevitable and conversing about the girl that seemed to be on both their minds.  Neither of them were willing to say anything meaningful straight up; it was a good conversation starter, Wilson thought.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 06:27:16 AM »
"Mia," he declared, and that was all that came out of his mouth.  His eyes, however, were cast her way now instead of up the corridor, and there was an unshielded wanting in them now that he\'d masked off before.  Either he didn\'t wish to hide his true feelings away or he couldn\'t block her for any great length of time.

She might have been thinking vaguely innocent thoughts about the lack of her uniform, but his were one step further - though they were in the same vein and began with making her comfortable and ended with them both satiated.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 06:50:29 AM »
Mia hurried to the kitchen and set about getting the things Dagger had asked for. She pulled a selection of biscuits from a jar (and he said she cooked too much!) and arraged them nicely on a plate then got a large bottle of lemon ale from the larder. The small girl poured a generous amount into a glass jug and placed two glasses on the tray beside it before headig back towards the drawing room.

As she walked along the corridor Mia blinked in surprise when she saw Lord Dagger standing in the opposite doorway and heard him say her name. She felt her cheeks colouring, it couldn\'t be more obvious that they were talking about her, not something she was happy about Why did the captain have to come just at that time?

"Sir?" she said quietly, seeing that he was a little distracted and when she had moved ito the livig room the red head quickly put the tray down on the small table, keeping her eyes lowered from the Captain\'s. She couldn\'t help feeling like she had interupted and was definitely glad that this wasn\'t a regular part of her job.

"Was there anything else you wanted, Sir?" Mia asked, starting to move back towards the doorway, hopig that he would simply say that she could go back to her safe haven in the kitchen.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 07:37:03 AM »
"Oh," Lam murmured politely, the rest of her comment drying up very suddenly on her tongue. She\'d been intending to ask how long Mia had worked there and continue along the harmless chatter lines, but instead she\'d met Dagger\'s gaze and was swallowed up by what she read there. Her body responded instantly - how many years and over how many silent dinners in front of an ignorant audience had they been exchanging such looks, anyway? Too many... enough that her system knew by instinct just how hard and passionately they would come together, as soon as they were alone, at any rate - and she looked unseeingly down at her lap in an effort to break his spell.

She swallowed the liquid that gushed into her mouth, wishing he didn\'t make her salivate so easily, wishing he didn\'t have this hold on her that wouldn\'t die, no matter how long they were apart. Kysis... she had to think of Kysis, damnit... not Dagger\'s knowledgable hands roving her body, shoving her down onto carriage seats, into secretive cupboards or empty rooms, tearing clothing in mutual haste and then gripping her thighs while he slid in...

"Shit," she swore softly, not realising she\'d said it out loud as she took a shaky breath and closed her eyes, needing a moment to regain her equilibrium. Mia entered the room just after the word left her lips, but Lam barely noticed.  If the thought of Kysis wasn\'t working to combat Dagger\'s pull (and a month with one man didn\'t seem to have a hope in measuring up to twelve years with another), then she\'d just have to keep focussed on why she was there... she just wished she could remember what that damn reason was, because it had suddenly flown right out of her head at about the time the sensual Dagger memories chose to invade.

She didn\'t look up, even though Mia was in the room - though she glanced sideways at the food that was set down and listened to the girl\'s sweet voice almost like it was a life line that might save her. She didn\'t want her to go, suddenly... but she did, too. She merely looked back at her thigh instead, blinking rapidly and trying desperately to think.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 07:07:20 AM »
[ooc]

Apologies to all, I\'m having a hard time with Dagger and a couple of my other characters, but to explain what happened, EO and I chatted it through in AIM, and so it follows below so readers of this thread (if there are any) can know what became of the characters in this scene.

Dagger: sends Mia away, figuring that he\'ll be more honest in an empty house and looks at Lam like he\'s sad she\'s no longer his and then takes a seat adjacent to the chairs

Lam: says she\'s there to apologise (when she finally gulps and manages to look up at him and smile) saying she shouldn\'t have called him an ass.  It was rude of her

Dagger is quiet all the way through, he\'ll let her talk.  He always did give her time to say everything on her mind

Lam  admits she shouldn\'t have spoken to him rudely.  She was uptight... she still doesn\'t know how to be around him and she shouldn\'t have lashed out.  Admits she loves him, always will and finds it hard to align it with being distant.  But it\'s getting better, she tells him.
(she smiles again, thinking how odd it is that she couldn\'t say she loved him for years for fear of it ruining everything and now she can just say it easily, because the love\'s changed. She knows it won\'t go away, but it\'s not as crazy, heh)

Dagger is hurt that she finishes talking with how its getting better.  He\'s been looking at her with sadness in his eyes and a frown on his brow as he listens intent, and  when she says that he blinks and muses on it, still looking at her.  He then gets up to go sit beside her and waits for her to say something, for about 5 seconds...

Lam will move her leg to allow that, heart in her mouth, knowing she should say something

Dagger reaches up and touch her face with the palm of his hand, stroke her lips with his thumb, and tell her about how he badly wants to kiss her, how he misses kissing her, how he regrets that he\'s made it so he\'s no longer allowed, that he\'d taken her for granted, that he\'s sorry he lost her, that nobody else can replace her and he doesn\'t think that feeling will ever go away or \'get better\' then he\'ll take his hand away and look at her, waiting for her to respond expecting that she\'ll deny him and leave, maybe while crying - he knows he\'s playing her heart strings

Lam leans against his hand, against him and sigh, thinking

Dagger continues to watch her, waits for her response

Lam says that she\'s very sorry it ended the way it did too, that she wishes she was enough for him, that he\'s irreplacable too; that their years together can\'t be forgotten but... it\'s too painful to be with him wanting him and knowing she\'ll never have him, imagining having his children, being his wife, sleeping beside him every night... and knowing that will never happen.  She\'s not strong enough to bear that, she\'s sorry she\'s weak (Starts to cry a bit then, feel guilty about Kysis and start thinking about him and doubting herself there, feel like she\'s using him and fall quiet, thinking guiltily on that, really)

Dagger\'s quiet for a while, knowing that this is the reason why Lam left him in the first place, but marriage scares him, feels like it\'ll kill their passion, and he\'d rather have her leave him with the passion intact than marry her and...  then realises how stupid and ridiculous he is for thinking that, and tells her the reason why he\'s scared of marriage - that it would take away the very thing that binds them together, their passion

Lam frowns and tells him that\'s stupid

Dagger snaps back that she is to name a couple whose passion remained the same after the first couple of years

Lam tells him that their passion would remain... would HAVE remained... but he always had the stupid idea that he needed variety and other people to inspire the passion.  He\'s all she ever needed.  Passion changes after marriage, that\'s true, but it deepens

Dagger replies saying that it was never about anybody else

Lam asks what the hell was it about then?

Dagger kisses her passionately.  Lam responds.  Dagger lets it continue for as long as it feels right, and then pulls back from the kiss, but remains with his forehead on hers and says: it was about keeping that, keeping  you, us, the same.  you said you wanted change.

Lam listens to that feeling all kinds of mixed up.  She would frown, her heart hammering and pull back from him leaning his forehead on hers.  "I do (whispered)  I\'m... leaving.  For a while.  Kysis and I... we\'re going away"

Dagger looks at her, betrayed, waits for a full minute for her to say something else, so that\'s not the last thing he hears.

Lam closes her eyes briefly, not wanting to SEE that in his eyes, damnit, then look at him, starting to get a bit teary again.  "We\'re going to Greece, for the ceremony of his title being granted.  And so I can look at where he came from... his lands, his keep... I... don\'t know but... I wanted you to know.  i won\'t be here for my birthday, the king granted me the time already"

Dagger interrupts her, which is unusual for him, with:  "Don\'t leave me," and thinks that she already has, she\'s left him before and now she\'s doing it again.

Lam falls against him, sobbing into his neck or his shoulder or... whatever is convenient.  "How can you ask me that?  WHY ask me that?"

Dagger: "Because you already did it once and it\'s killing me"

Lam: It killed ME that you didn\'t want me completely

Dagger:  I did, I just didn\'t know it, until now.  Nobody... interests me anymore.  I look at women now and I no longer wish to pursue them.  I was keeping you at arm\'s length, I didn\'t want us to develop into something where you wanted a commitment.  Who wants to marry a cheater?  I.... I made a mistake.  Now I have nothing.  Unless you don\'t leave me.  (Gives her a challenging look)

Lam blinks at his challenging look, confused.  You\'re saying you WOULD marry me now?

Dagger doesn\'t want to say yes, that\'s too much for him, especially when he\'s unsure if she\'ll accept, so he has to make sure that she still wants that:  "Would you stay if I did?"

She flounders, looking about the room, feeling it\'s spinning.  "I... I..."  Dagger waits for her answer.  She blurts out: But we weren\'t going away or EVER, just a moon or so, then we\'d be back to see... uh (slows down)... if we want... (sighs resignedly, gaping at him) shit, Balthus.  I don\'t know what to say... I spent twelve YEARS of my life wanting you exclusively, until you told me you wouldn\'t have a bar of it, so I forced myself to fall out of love with you and now... now you say you were wrong?  I...*shakes her head, still flounderinga nd trying to process*

Dagger smiles tightly, can\'t look at her anymore so looks away and says:  I wasn\'t proposing to you, Lam, I was asking if that was what you wanted.  Do you really expect that I would change how I feel about marriage?  Either way, I\'ve lost you.  You won\'t return to me because I\'m not enough without a ring, though you profess to loving me as I am.  (He shakes his head).  Lam, you\'re a hypocrite.

Lam reaches out so she turn his face back to look at her, but Dagger stands before she can do so.  Lam gets up hastily, and because of her leg, she falls and catches herself on Dagger, who instinctively helps her and looks at her with a pained expression, betraying how hurt he is.  She grabs his arms and looks into his eyes, and tells him fiercely:  It\'s not about a RING, damnit.  It\'s about... about being WANTED.  If you\'re saying that I\'m what you want then... *frowns and stops, her brain racing to catch up*  I want something else, that\'s all.  I\'m TIRED of going to bed alone, waking up alone, sneaking around and pretending I\'m heartless and that I don\'t care.  I DO care.  I want something MORE, mor ethan the guards, more than an empty house with no-one but a servant for company.  I want LIFE and children and to experience things other than bruises and late night arrests and early mornings and nightmares about near death experiences! *falls quiet, then adds softly* I wanted it with you.

Dagger notices that she has used past tense, and though he\'s looking at her like he wants her back, he pushes against her so that they\'re standing apart from one another.  He was ready to propose to her before, was ready to hand everything she wanted to her, but the way the conversation had fallen, the way she\'d phrased her words, he does not wish to make a leap of faith now, when she has someone else to distract her from meeting him halfway.  "I don\'t want a woman who\'ll settle for another man," he tells her coldly, and his gaze hardens.

Lam looks at him, incredibly hurt.  Wants to tell him he doesn\'t know WHAT the hell he wants and he sure as hell doesn\'t know what\'s good for him but opens her mouth to speak and knows she\'s just going to cry more and oh, she\'s still far too much in love with him, because it hurts far too much to hear him say such things.  She doesn\'t say anything, she just leaves.

Dagger closes the door after her and stands with his head against it, listening to her leave, then knocks his head hard against the wood, hating himself for forcing her away.  He storms up the stairs and into his bedroom, removes a small velvet pouch and the engagement ring inside it, goes to a window in the back of the house and throws it out, as hard as he can, into the land of his backyard, then collapses against the wall with his head in his hands, sobbing for what he\'s lost.