Author Topic: A Royal Scandal  (Read 12514 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: A Royal Scandal
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
This news had Phinn going very still, wide-eyed and frowning.  Leave?  Oh, this was not good, not good at all.  He\'d never intended to leave his home, it was set up just the way he liked and he\'d meant to finish his days here, in luxury (such as it was to him).  The idea that he\'d have to go from his lovely house to... somewhere else... had his mind stuttering.

"Leave my home?" he queried incredulously, trying very hard to force his thoughts through this dizzying, turning wheel of confusion.  His hand lifted, weakly, to cup Hew\'s troubled face and lift it again so that he could see it.  He cared nothing for a crumpled, heartwrenching expression, what he needed to see were the boy\'s eyes - yet when he did, he instinctively shied from it, for there was such raw hopelessness in them that the situation seemed far more dire than he\'d expected.

"Dungeons?" he repeated hoarsely, beginning to feel light-headed with denial

thiscan\'tbehappeningsurelywhatdidwedohowcanitbe?

and also a little surreal with the severity of punishments being discussed.  "But why?  What crime have I committed?  Corrupted the prince?  It\'s bloody not against the law for us to lay together - shit, I\'ve been doing it since I was eight\'n no bastard ever came an\' arrested those sods from off me - so is it a\'cause yer\'n the prince, then?"

His tone, his rapidly blinking eyes, his increasingly horrified expression... all of it declared that Phinn was completely bewildered and nowhere near understanding just how fine the line he was walking truly was.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 07:36:37 AM »
It was here and now that Hew had to face certain facts about not only his status but also the King\'s opinions.

"My father cares not for men who lie with other men," he said quickly, not wishing for Phinn to worry about what Hew might be going through for he was positive that whatever Phinn would soon go through would be much, much worse.  "I will tell him that I chose to do so but he may take it upon himself to declare you a rapist or a seducer, in order to save the Palace face."  Hew\'s eyes dropped from Phinn\'s now to stare at his chest.  "The order I gave the Captain and her guards will no doubt have a limit of time attached, to when the King finds out how I was caught.  Then he shall want to see you."  In a small voice, he added, "and likely make it such that I will never see you again."

That was a joke, for he didn\'t think he would see Phinn again anyway.  His heart couldn\'t feel any more hollow in his chest, his gut any more tightly wrenched.  He felt nauseous with the realisation that he\'d destroyed the life of the man he\'d loved and the room was spinning, albeit slowly.

"I\'m sorry." he said again, then looked up at Phinn once more.  "I love you."  It seemed he couldn\'t say it enough to make up for those times he\'d held back.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »
The surreal feeling persisted, leaving him cold when he knew he should be overheating and ripping about the place frantically, with the pressure now befalling him, but for some reason... he couldn\'t.  All he could think was that he\'d inadvertently earned the king\'s wrath and it wasn\'t his damn fault, but he was about to be punished for it because, despite what the precious prince claimed, no royal would turn on his firstborn, if there was a choice.

The choice to punish Phinn for it, as Hew was saying would happen, was far more obvious and too real to deny.  Hence the coldness.  Still, a stupid part of him that was wallowing in denial had to ask.

With more strength, he gripped his young lover\'s face, signalling that he didn\'t wish to lose eye contact when he was asking a very important question.  "You\'re sayin\'... that when you go t\'th\'palace with the captain, I should make meself scarce, \'less\'n I want to find meself in the dungeons... on account\'o\'the fact that yer dad dun\' like men what favour men... an\' he decides t\'make an example o\' me?  Yer sayin\' that I should make meself scarce... permanent like?" he asked quietly.

There wasn\'t much reason to ask, it was all there in the boy\'s eyes, but he had to hear it clearly said, in order to believe it.  After all, at first he hadn\'t thought Hew was serious, but now he\'d begun to believe the part about leaving the house so he wasn\'t found tonight but... the rest... the stuff about making it a permanent thing was still to be comprehended.  He needed to have that made plain before the full scope of the situation sank in properly (then he would begin to panic).

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »
Hew\'s face was crumpling as he felt Phinn\'s strong hands holding it either side, the warmth from the other man\'s palms and the rough feeling of their reality was too much to bear knowledge of, especially when he knew that touch would be gone forever.  To hear Phinn ask him so blatently and quietly felt like it was shredding his heart in his chest.

"Yes," he said, the word coming out sharply because he didn\'t want to answer that way.  "That\'s wha... what I\'m saying," he said, his breath hitching on one of the words and he swallowed convulsively.  Tears ran unreigned down his cheeks and spilling onto Phinn\'s fingers.  He had no breath left to say anything more, but he wanted to throw himself into Phinn\'s embrace, if only to squeeze him tightly before they would be apart forever.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 10:54:06 PM »
Dumbfounded, Phinn responded to the forward pressure communicated subtly via Hew\'s body the only way he was able; he loosened his grip and opened his arms so that the boy might press himself to his chest and sob into his throat.  Instinctively, he held the weeping royal in return, his grubby hands floating gently over his unblemished skin and coming to rest upon the back of his head.  His fingers stroked, stroked, stroked while he murmured soothing noises meant to comfort and quell the crying.  He may even have rocked, though he wasn\'t aware of it.

Truthfully, Phinn wasn\'t aware of much at all.  His gaze was fixed on the wall opposite him, unseeing and stagnant as his sluggish mind processed the confirmation he\'d received.  Yes, he should leave his home and this city, if he wanted to remain in one piece, for the king would hunt him like a lone wolf in Full Hunger Moon if he didn\'t.

It hurt to contemplate and was entirely befuddling, but Albert Phinneus was not going to be made a dolly in the public eye - a dolly left out in the sun too long, found bleached and torn when it was next seen, for it was no longer the plaything in favour.  He was certainly in Hew\'s favour, but the prince was the boy and his father the man who would remind him of his status by casting his toy aside, somewhere deep, dark and impenetrable.  The king would break him for his little tryst, his fun little game... and the slum lord was not used to losing, especially when the stakes were hidden and higher than he\'d ever have gambled with.  If only he\'d known sooner.

Captain Wilson was wishing much the same thing outside the bedroom at that moment; if only she\'d known sooner.  If only she\'d seen the signs, not been wrapped up in her own life so much, she might have put more weight on the little things she\'d noticed, might have connected the occasional smug and secretive expression with the dew-eyed eyes and seen that something serious was afoot.  Her charge had been sneaking out of the palace, for Talon\'s sake!  Sneaking out into entirely disreputable areas and consorting with people she wouldn\'t voluntarily have had Hew pass in the street, if she could help it, yet he was found in the man\'s bed.

If only she\'d known sooner.

Eventually, the stunned silence and wide-eyed communication shooting wordlessly from one of her guard\'s gazes to the next got the better of her and she gave a frustrated sigh.  "I\'m going back up there," she told her men impatiently, gripping the bannister tightly.  "Stay here, I\'ll be down with Prince Kestrel in a moment."  She hauled herself up the stairs then, taking them with swift strides and trying to ignore the excited whispering that rose at her back the instant it was turned towards them and the semi-darkness surrounding them at the foot of the stairs.

She knocked briefly on Phinn\'s bedroom door before she swung it open and walked in, closing it soundly behind her.  Finding her favourite student crying heartbrokenly against her newest enemy\'s chest did nothing to alleviate the strain she was under, nor loosen the tight coil of apprehension within her.  They were taking too long; even though very little time had passed, at Lam\'s core was a frantic, whirling alarm that was telling her that she was wasting time.  It was bleeding second thoughts into her as well, making her wonder if she should follow Hew\'s orders and walk only him out of here... if the boy didn\'t hurry, they would get the better of her and she\'d falter, despite not wanting to lose him and his friendship.  The line between him and his father was a fine one, to say the least.

"Your highness, we have to be leaving," she said smartly, neither barking an order nor mewling a request, but simply standing her ground in the middle of the room, feet shoulder width apart, thumbs hooked through her belt and speaking in a manner that brooked no argument.  There was a finite amount of difference between leaving immediately and leaving later and she didn\'t wish to entertain the consequences of the latter.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »
Hew pulled away hurriedly and wiped his tears with his sleeve, sniffing up the snot that had gathered in his nose and quickly pulling out a hankerchief to dispose of the rest.  He\'d moved away from Phinn and turned himself mostly away to do all of this, so that the Captain could see his profile but Phinn could see less than that.  He took a deep and shaky breath before turning around again to face the lover that he was leaving forever and giving him one last look, showing a clearer expression than the one racked by sobs, knowing his eyes would be rimmed puffy and red but at least he could present himself better for the final memory.  Phinn looked confused and beautiful laying on the bed, untouched, unshackled.  At least Hew had that.

Once he turned to the captain and nodded, he forced his feet to take steps, and once the first one was made away the others followed easily enough and soon he was out of the room and down the stairs with his chin up, glaring at whoever dared to meet his gaze before he let his own fall and didn\'t make eye contact with anyone after that - though his posture was tall and trained well, carried with royal pride even surrounded by guards who had no right knowing what they knew about his business.

And the Captain, how he loved her now for granting him this favour, how he would owe her for this - he would have to tell her next training session, he would have to thank her properly, once he was calm, collected and they were alone.