Author Topic: Fine Line  (Read 16005 times)

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • The Relentless Muse Blog
Re: Fine Line
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 06:33:39 AM »
A smile was forced, Kysis trying to smooth over getting caught off guard by confirming that yes, he would like some more of the wine he had decided to try.  It was a bit on the dry side, but probably an acquired taste (which he would most likely never get, seeing how often he drank: rarely).  It went well with the food at least.  Kysis just liked being able to hear the people around him, their movements and such.  He had great hearing, but in a place such as a tavern such a sense was rendered useless.  That was why he had situated himself in a corner at the Falcon\'s Mask, keeping it so that he could see anyone who approached.  Lam might have thought it a little suspicious, but that was how Kysis remained most comfortable.

Kysis had actually seen the man approaching from the other side.  He was the one with the Lord Blake earlier, if he remembered correctly, Kysis wondering fearfully what the young man might possibly want.  Hopefully not to call him a screwtoy, too?  He really needed to get rid of that terrible grudge associated with those around Lady Hannah, but it had been damn offensive, and only the night before.  He could allow himself a little bit of steam over that.  Luckily, the fellow had distracted them from Lam\'s question.  Not everything was alright, but Kysis had no want to elaborate on it, and if a specific question was asked Kysis would not lie.  Of course, he had always been good at hiding certain things.

A nod was given when the introductions were, Kysis watching Nolan closely.  He did not have the bearing of a swordsman at all, so the question struck him as off, much less the fact that he had been at the demonstration.  At the time, Kysis and Lam had not been closely associated, so the dungeon keep (as he had mentally taken to referring to Lam\'s sister the moment he knew she had bred) would not have as much of a reason to keep him away.... but still, how many nobles would have been there?  Either way, he would not leave the young man hanging there, beaming as he was.  He seemed a bit too happy about it all.  Perhaps Kysis was just being suspicious, though.

"Thank you, ah...."  He actually had to pause and think a moment, slightly embarrassed when he came up with the actual number behind the second part.  If Nolen had not been staring at him, Kysis might have not answered, "I\'ve been.... practicing thirteen years."  That felt puny, to say the least.  Especially with the recent train of thoughts on his master in that subject.  Tiberius had been practicing for longer than Kysis had been alive, had traveled and learned from all over.  Kysis felt the young man\'s complements were severely misplaced.

Kysis looked back to Lam, facing her squarely with a questioning expression.  It would be read as \'what does he want?\'  or \'what is wrong with him?\', however she wished to take it.  That was not the reaction he had been expecting.  He knew that nobles fenced, some boxed, but his family did not deal in that sort of equipment.  The steel was too good for that sort of thing.  What interest could a noble have in combat if they had a comfortable, stable life without such perils?  Of course, the question could be asked of Kysis, too, but he had grown up with that peril.  It was just a way of life for him, this plush and comfy way of Oberon seeming foreign, though pleasant.

Hopefully Nolan would go away?  Kysis was to respectful to send him away, even if they were still eating.  It was Lam\'s nephew, after all.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Lord Kysis Liari (Ένας πεσμένος ήρωας.),
Fenwick Baldor (Song, wine, and a bit of trouble),
Calista Liari (Θραύσματα Ομορφιά)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 07:00:58 AM »
Lam merely looked back at Kysis with a slightly bitter twist to her lips, as said relative continued to blithely ignore her in order to gain his attention.  Nolan had obviously used her as an opening into a conversation he wanted to have, which was typical from a noble viewpoint but uncommon from hers; usually people used the people she spoke to to start a conversation (or complaint session) with her.  It was rather deflating to be on the other side of the equation, she would have more sympathy when next it happened to someone she was conversing with.

Nolan gave an appreciative whistle, followed by a brief chuckle.  "Thirteen years, eh?  Well, sir, that\'s nearly my entire lifespan!  No wonder you are so skilled!  Tell me, the weapon you used at the demonstration, it looked very strange; now you can\'t tell me that was a regular sword," the teenager declared playfully, waggling a finger at Kysis as if the blonde was trying to pull a swift trick on him and he\'d figured it out at the last moment, "what do you call something like that?"

Lam was impressed that Nolan had the wit to deduce even that much, given his obvious ignorance when it came to weaponry.  She gave him a wry look, taking in his posturing stance and the way he was angled to face Kysis completely (leaving her a pleasant view of his back), half tempted to assume the kid was flirting with her lover but knowing it was simply the \'noble\' way of having a conversation.  Instead of declaring open interest in a topic, one insisted on wending about the place and tittering over nonsense before getting to the point.  Lam didn\'t think Nolan had a point.  He just wanted a chat with a lord who\'d made a name for himself (touch a bit of fame) and what better place to be seen associating with him than in front of his peers at the tavern?

She leaned slyly around the two men blocking her vision so that she could have a look at what Theo was doing, trying to ascertain whether he had a part in sending his son to their table or not.  It didn\'t appear so, however, for Theodoric was just picking at a non-existent something on the surface of his table with his right hand, his left elbow leaned on the furniture for support.  His gaze was downcast to look at the wood he was poking, but he appeared genuinely nonchalant and unconcerned about what his offspring was up to.  Lam knew he would want no part of anything that was likely to fly in the face of what his wife wanted - and talking to her sister or her sister\'s lover was certainly not something she\'d want - but he was decent enough to condone his son\'s wishes and allow him to make his own choices.  He really was a noble man; Lam had no idea how her sister had ended up so lucky.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 08:52:02 AM »
Kysis could see the looks Lam was giving, and since he was not exactly comfortable himself, a tiny resolution was made.  Of course, he would answer the question first, and think a bit as he did so to find a delicate way of shooing Nolan off.  He would hate to get the young lad against him and quash any sort of rebellious streak that might happen to carry him away from the Lady Blake... he also thought it was none of his business unless specifically brought in to it, or unless-- that chain of thought was cut off as quickly as it came.  Kysis had an issue currently to deal with.  That other could be thought on at a later date.

"A flail..." his voice trailed off at that, a silent hint that Nolan was not appreciated at the moment.  Kysis lifted his drink, which was now refiled (had the serving boy been back already?), taking a sip and watching the young man with an arched brow from over top the chalice\'s rim.  Would that be enough to give the hint that they were eating, and wished to continue doing so?  Or that they had wanted to enjoy their evening?  Perhaps, perhaps not, though the way Nolan was talking to him (and his body language) were bothering him.  It was a lot like.... Rico, that one time he had come back drunk.  Kysis really wished he could erase that from his mind all together, but now that he saw that slight resemblance...

"Well, Nolan, it was nice meeting you."  Kysis nodded, hoping the kid could take hints.  Could he?  He assumed one of noble breeding would be schooled enough to notice something such as that.  Kysis had not even put his drink down, its hovering close to his lips though not on them.  He did turn his head so he could see Lam again, wanting a little support on the matter.  Anything would do.  Even with Nolan\'s back to Lam, she could still say something....
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 06:00:05 AM »
"A flail!" the teenager exclaimed, warming to his topic with this encouraging information.  Of course, his mouth closed and formed a severe line as he heard his aunt\'s next words and then he turned to glare at her.

"Tell your father hello from us and I hope you enjoyed a meal as good as we currently are," she smiled benignly, making a point of taking another mouthful when his gaze swung her way (there wasn\'t a whole lot of food left on her plate, for her appetite had returned as soon a she\'d got a scent of quality morsels being served, but she was glad of what she had).

Nolan snorted austerely at her, glanced at Kysis and then back again, his gaze accusatory - like she had instructed her lover specifically to be nasty to any relative of hers that approached or something. Naturally, that wasn\'t Lam\'s style, it was Hannah\'s, but Nolan wasn\'t to know that, given that he\'d been poisoned against her from an early age.

"Of course, Aunt," he sneered, his manner suggesting that of course she would want to greet his father, both of them being lesser beings as they were.  He apparently didn\'t feel it necessary to use her name at all, for he swung away from her to smile at Kysis once more (as if he\'d shaken off the brief association with a dirty relative and could focus once more on one worthy of his attention), saying, "Farewell for now then, Lord Liari," with a flourishing bow before making his grand exit.

Lam merely sighed, shook her head and drank a few quick mouthsful of her mead, rather satisfied with the way her head spun from the effect of too much, too fast because it was another defiance against a family that did very little besides continually mock her.  "I\'m sorry about that little upstart," she apologised as she replaced her mug succinctly, her expression showing how her mood had only grown worse.  "He\'s got far too much of his mother in him and not enough of his father."

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
Kysis shrugged to Lam\'s latest words, finally setting his glass down once the young fellow was gone.  That slight throb at his right temple was subsiding.  Whether it was the wine or the lack of Nolan could be anyone\'s guess, so Kysis just left it open mentally, glad no matter which answer it really was.  Now they could get back to enjoying their food.  Kysis had noticed that Lam was ahead of him, having worked through her food quickly while he was still picking.  It was a new type of food for him.  Working on it slowly was understandable.

At least to him.

"I may have to meet them all eventually, anyway." And he served nicely to track your attention earlier  Kysis forced a smile again, its feeling fake on his lips, but better than the sour frown which had taken to it when Nolan was rude to Lam.  Lady Blake\'s impression upon him became quite obvious then.  At least it had not been that hard to get him away, and Lam had not seemed offended by the want to get the runt away.  In fact, was that a pleased look?  Perhaps, perhaps not.  Kysis was glad to be facing towards her again, and to be eating again.  The food did his stomach good.

He left it at that, leaving a few paths of conversation open.  Since he still needed to eat more, he would step back a bit, let her lead any sort of conversation she pleased.  He would talk, yes.  Just not as much as her.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 07:09:37 AM »
Lam sighed as she had some more mead, giving him a wry look.  "Not if I can help it, you won\'t.  The only one decent enough to converse with is her husband but he - rightly - prefers to keep the peace and stay away as much as possible.  No point in riling a dragon and risking your precious parts unless there is a life or death situation," she told Kysis somewhat bitterly, replacing her mug once more.  It seemed to be empty, which was a shame and she looked around for the serving boy to order another while she expanded on her answer.  Oddly, she wasn\'t in the mood to talk about herself or even them, but spilling a few of her family\'s secrets right then didn\'t faze her in the slightest.

"You know," she told him quietly, folding her arms and leaning forward onto her elbows in a conspiratorial manner - she had to be sure no-one nearby would overhear what she was about to tell him, "I didn\'t have a whole lot of respect for Theo for marrying my cow of a sister, until one night not long after I became a lieutenant.  We\'d been informed of strange goings-on in a house in a good area and had decided that thieves were holed up in it, so we raided it.  Turned out a lot stranger than thieves," she giggled, her eyes widening for effect.

"The house was leant to a friend by a certain noble while he went away on business and this friend had decided to bring a few of his close, personal friends over so they were in the middle of some very... intimate dealings when the six of us burst in.  They weren\'t thieves, just a bunch of men and boys playing games together.  It was all very awkward - especially when I found Theodoric dressed in women\'s clothing, in the act with another man," she whispered, raising her eyebrows pointedly and then sighing in a very satisfied manner.

"After that, I had all the respect in the world for the man.  He admitted to me that night - in amongst crying and begging me to keep it from the bitch - that he only married Hannah to keep up appearances and because his family expected it.  Same with having children.  I reckon he\'s only ever visited her bedroom those three times if he could help it," the redhead sniggered, then frowned, thinking that perhaps she was being a little crass for Kysis\' sensibilities but the alcohol was blurring that thought quite nicely.  She recovered smoothly enough and smiled at him.

"Half the time she attacks me for my supposed screwing around, I\'m sure she\'s just jealous and it keeps me happy knowing that her husband only married her because she was good \'stock\'.  One of these days she\'s going to push me too far and I\'ll tell her, too - though Theo would never forgive me and I care about him far more than I\'ll ever care about Hannah," she snorted, looking back at her plate to see what was left for the eating.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
The way Lam was leaning forward and looking about, she had Kysis\' attention immediately.  He had never been one for much gossip, but as far as he had noticed, that bit that Lam shared was rather interesting.  Assuming this would be the same, he listened up, leaning forward a bit himself.  Guards had probably seen some of the most interesting things of anyone in Oberon, with the callings of their job.  They knew the dirt on everyone.  Lam even knew some on Kysis, who had otherwise secluded himself from the people of Oberon.

At first, Kysis was intrigued.  Thieves?  Kysis had yet to run in with their like, but found them vile none-the-less.  At least the "thieves" of Kreos had the balls to attack in the open rather than sneaking around in the night.  Yes, he had been very lucky to avoid their ilk since arriving, with as many problems as Kysis had heard from the other merchants.  Hopefully these public appearances would not draw their attention....  And he would keep hoping, keeping defenses up and watching hawkishly.  Would his association with Lam save him from half the trouble?

Kysis blinked a few times, moving back slightly as he tried to judge whether he had heard her right or not.  He let his eyes slide to where the Lord Blake had been sitting earlier, not wanting to twist his head too out of some sense of secrecy or subtly or kindness.  The subject matter made Kysis a touch uncomfortable.  Of course, it would explain why Lam had quickly asserted in the Falcon\'s Mask that homosexuality did not bother her in the least.  What bothered Kysis about it all was how she had been convinced (at that time only, thankfully) that he preferred such endevors.  He did not.  Hearing about it made Kysis shift his weight a little, cast a look about.

"To each his own." which was all he would say on that matter.  Kysis could not state otherwise for the sake of Rico.  Yes, he had trouble being in the same room as him now, just wished Rico would move on but at the same time they had been friends for as long as Kysis had been practicing sword.  It was hard to turn back on a friend so close.  Kysis found the situation shared about the Lord Blake to be appauling, but that consideration of Rico\'s own opinion on the matter stopped him from saying so aloud.

Though not feeling quite so hungry any more, Kysis forced himself to eat a little more, finishing off the roasted vegetables while leaving a bit of the meat.  He hardly remembered what it was, other than the fact that the meat was light in color and flavor.  This time he heard the serving boy coming, and forced himself to not turn his head and look.  Kysis did not want more drink, quickly stating as much when the boy offered.  The staff was kind at least, making sure everyone was satisfied.  He supposed that was how all businesses should be, though not all had the patience of a tavern.  Kysis appreciated it on some levels.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 11:17:25 PM »
Glancing up, she sighed as she saw Kysis more or less close himself off.  His expression was shuttered and she wasn\'t sure whether it was because of the fact that she was telling secrets he didn\'t approve of her laughing at, or whether it was the subject matter itself... either way, he was no longer open to discussion and she felt the effect keenly.  Unfortunately, she also wasn\'t in a particularly strong mindset after the day she\'d had, and she was torn between wanting to confront him and demand what his problem was, or simply let it lie.

Morosely, she chose the latter option, not wanting to fight (with another lover) again today.  Dagger had asked her to stay with him... be with him... had begged... and she\'d walked away, in effect choosing Kysis.  Looking at the blonde now, though, she wondered just how well they were suited if she could offend him so obviously that he picked half-heartedly at his food and wouldn\'t make eye contact, but wouldn\'t tell her what bothered him.  And she didn\'t have the will to continually forge the paths of communication.

"Yeah," she murmured and set about finishing her meal and the third drink she\'d ordered.  Once her concentration was applied to the task, it didn\'t take very long at all (plus, she didn\'t have a lot left) and she was able to look far more placidly at Kysis once she\'d set her mug down for the final time.  Her mood had shifted slightly to resigned because she simply couldn\'t figure out whether she was settling or not and it was much easier to forget about it for now.  Take everything as it came, deal with it then.  Exist in the moment with her grumpy lover and just... leave him to his hang ups.

"Ready to go, or do you want to check out some of the more secluded rooms?" she teased, insinuating that dastardly things went on in the snuff and cards rooms of the hotel (and they very probably did, but she was baiting him for now).  Of course, she might also have meant the hotel rooms and she was happy with that ambiguity in her current, indifferent state of mind.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 02:20:59 AM »
Kysis found himself watching Lam again, trying to figure out just what changed her mood.  From giggling to quiet again and.... oh.  Kysis decided that he must have sounded rude in some way, with how he shoved off the subject matter.  However, he could defend his stance on that with the utterance of a single name, but decided to leave it lay.  Bringing up the discussion again was the last thing Kysis wanted to do, and the way she said secluded rooms made him curious.  What sort of rooms?  Why the sly look?

His gaze bounced about the walls for a bit before he found a staircase, interest a bit more peaked.  Taverns were public places.  Bad things could not happen in them because anyone could walk in at any moment.... right?  Kysis glanced back to Lam quickly, then the doors again.  He did not necessarily want to see anything that went on in such places, with how Lam was talking about it, sounded a tad traumatizing.  Knowing what sort of things went on was an entirely different matter, as Kysis doubted he could conjure up some sort of imagination to go with the words Lam would supply, unless she went in to too much detail.  She did that at times, but Kysis had gotten used to it.  It was different than he was accustomed to, and thus more interesting, intriguing even.

"What kind of back rooms?"  Kysis was the one to lean forward in that conspiratorial sort of way now, engaged in this endeavor.  The young lord had once decided to ask about the back rooms in a few of the places about the port to the south east of Kreos, was surprised by what sort of things he had found.  It was crazy what sort of things could be found just beneath the surface.  Kysis was hoping this would prove just as insightful.  Plus, it was a way to get the topic away from the Lord Blake\'s sexual habits, of which Kysis had wanted to know nothing of.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 05:31:02 AM »
The corner of her mouth lifted in a half smile and she pondered his interest.  At least he always asked - often regretted his curiosity, it seemed, but he continued to ask her for details about whatever she was talking about.  She did appreciate that about him.

"Oh, there\'s a lounge upstairs where the gentlemen inhale a bit of snuff and play some cards.  There are a couple of other rooms beyond that designed for very high stakes card games, where fortunes have been known to be won or lost," she explained, the humour of teasing him fading.  She knew very well that Kysis wouldn\'t be interested in sitting around bragging about his wealth or doing underhanded scratch-my-back-I\'ll-scratch-yours deals.  She gave another smile and stood.  "Let\'s just go," she told him.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 05:49:51 AM »
"Alright...."

That was confusing.  She had seemed so enthralled with it and just shoved it to the side the next moment-- Kysis really hoped he would not end up the same way.  It was a frightful train of thought.  It was also dismissed for the moment, Kysis trying to get some soft of cheerful state of mind broiling up.  Alia was gone.  That was something to enjoy greatly, milk it for all it was worth.  Though Rico acted as if he knew something, Kysis still had the state of mind which told him no man wanted a sickly little bitch such as Alia, so she would be around until healthy enough to attract attention.  He could also hope that was soon, and that the trip did not tax Alia\'s health any.

Kysis smiled, taking a moment to look around for the serving boy.  That was who got paid in the end, right?  At least that was how they did in Kreos.  The young lord flicked open the coin pouch hidden at his belt, finger hunting through as he tried to guess what he might need.  Kysis had more than enough money on him, that was for sure.  He also had a dagger hidden beneath his tunic on his left forearm.  A little paranoid?  Hardly.  Kysis just wanted to be prepared.

"Is there anywhere you wish to go after this?"  he had noticed Lam\'s sudden stop in creating conversation, and was trying to spark some up himself, now.  Kysis was sure she would tell him if she did not want to talk.  It seemed like she always stated exactly what was on her mind, which Kysis appreciated.  It was comforting in a way.  He just had to learn how to do it himself.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 06:01:01 AM »
She shook her head and tried to force herself to cheer up, but her heart just wasn\'t in it.  She supposed that over an hour of heart-wrenching sobbing and even more hours of mental anguish about one\'s life did tend to drain the energy from one\'s body as well as their soul, so it was hardly surprising she was a bit beyond the effort of cheer right now.

"Nah," she murmured, tucking her chair in and stepping over to his side and slightly behind him, wanting to just wrap her arms around him and rest her chin on his shoulder but resisting for the sake of public decency (she didn\'t care for herself but she doubted he\'d like it), "just back to your place.  I\'m tired."

As if to support her claim, she yawned behind a politely raised hand and then sighed.  The alcohol had been a good pick up for a little while, but all too quickly its soporific effects were taking hold (no doubt aided by her state of body and mind) and she was happy to embrace that.  She tucked her hands into her pockets while she waited for him to be done paying for their food and drink, interested in mutely following wherever he led.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 12:40:08 AM »
Kysis paid, and gave a little extra to the serving boy for being punctual and polite (despite sneaking up from the right constantly).  That put a smile on the lad\'s face, which was good enough, Kysis pushing in his table and nodding as he lead the way out.  He was glad that no one else present decided to bother them while passing by, especially the merchant over by the boar, whom Kysis remembered from that day he had to do "bath duty" as he sourly called it.  The man smiled and gave a small wave though, to which Kysis only nodded before quickly leaving.  Kysis had a title of lordship to back him, but he was also a merchant, having to dip a bit in to both worlds as much as he despised it.

It was a nice walk back, if a quiet one, Kysis not walking as fast as he wanted to because of that earlier yawn.  He was trying hard with the whole concept of being considerate, forcing himself to learn as he went.  Soon they were back to his place, the two guards trying a greeting in English again, actually succeeding with, "Hello Captain, Kyros Liari."  Kysis wished they would get used to using English completely, rather than resorting back to Greek so often, but at least they tried.  The young lord sighed, opening the large door and holding it so for Lam to pass through before him.  The house was nearly silent, with just the kitchen fire crackling.  It was strange.... but welcome.

(Continued in \'Fine Lines\')
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα