Author Topic: Särskrivning, oh just look inside!  (Read 2910 times)

Uzaki

Särskrivning, oh just look inside!
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:11:56 AM »
The concept of what in Swedish is called "särskrivning" is where combined words are in general not written as separate words in Swedish. :confused:

A good example is the word "Rökfritt" which in a direct translation means "Smoke free" (or a more proper english translation "No smoking"). If we apply a "särskrivning" on that word, we get "Rök fritt", which in a direct translation means "Smoke freely".
As you can see, the meaning of the phrase is completely reversed, by inserting that simple space. Still there are more and more people in Sweden writing that way...

So, I was wondering a little if you have a word describing this phenomena or if there\'s no such thing. Do you natives just separate all words?

There are a lot of this, and now a days separating comes rather natrual (mostly) but when I started learning English. Oh my, was I confused.

It\'s a little bit funny now though, or at least to me when I read some phrases in \'swenglish\'... with this \'särskrivning\'. :lol:

Just an OOC musing!
-Cs

PS:
I just thought of one example! Extraordinary and Extra Ordinary

DoTheLimbo

Re: Särskrivning, oh just look inside!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
Huh, never heard of that before.

Interesting. :/

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:40:50 AM »
That\'s a really cool English lesson.

However, extraordinary and extra ordinary isn\'t true Särskrivning because to write them separately is now considered an error.  The evolution of the language put them together.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Fell

• Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 04:01:25 AM »
You basically just described why I\'m glad I grew up speaking the language. Can you imagine trying to learn all that as a second? My god! I think I\'d go insane. Truly, I admire those that manage to figure out this crazy thing without growing up surrounded by it. I salute you. ::salutes::  :p

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »
Thought of something särskrivning-ish

Upon and up on.

We would say someone sat upon the chair meaning they are sitting on it, but if we said they were sitting up on the chair that would imply their posture is good :p
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Ashlei

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:00:39 AM »
Does the word werewolves work?
together it means men who can become wolves but apart it just means something like\' they were wolves\'?:confused: :D