Author Topic: Morning Routines  (Read 21822 times)

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • The Relentless Muse Blog
Morning Routines
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:15:16 AM »
(For EO; I set this before Lam loses her job)

Since Kysis had gotten back from Kreos, every day and every night had felt like an eternity.  After Alia\'s burial, Captain Wilson practically moved into the manor, spending nights there, mornings there.  Rico did not look being so close to that room, where the Captain and Kysis were together.  It bothered him worse when the townhouse was offered as an alternative.  Rico had liked it at first, but then Kysis had to jump on the idea like it was the last kalamata olive on Earth.  That hurt.

So he was in the townhouse with the Captain\'s strangely quiet servant, whom Rico had insulted many times just to get a jab in at his master.  Probably not the smartest idea.  But, pride had always been a thing Rico could not let go of, and would not forget now.  Out of pride he had not apologized, or done anything else to make amends.  It was making life awkward.  Silence did not sit well with the bard-inclined Retainer.

Some days were spent learning food and spice names in English.  Some days were spent at the shop, trying to sell weaponry (and often succeeding).  Some days were spent playing with his bow to keep his arms strong, running solo practices, playing one of his instruments (the rebec, not the organette) when he was too tired to continue.  Rico missed singing but did not feel like practicing without an audience.  He was moody.  Passive-aggressive.  Rico knew he was failing badly at trying to stave off depression.

In his mind there was only one solution and Kysis was not coming around to it.

The morning prior to the current, Rico had finally convinced Kysis to do a sparring round, after the Captain left.  Rico had warmed up before hand, did really well.  He tripped Kysis into him and stole a kiss, which was ended so fast Rico had not even gotten to taste it.  Kysis refused to look at him and yelled at him to leave, immediately, or else.  Sad, moping, Rico did.  He hadn\'t dared go back to the manor since.

Rico walked out of his room, pulling on an olive green tunic as he closed the door with his sock encased foot.  Ruffling a hand over his hair, he made sure it looked alright by feel.  It was fine.  Rico needed to shave, however, but that could happen later.  Stubble was fine for breakfast.  He just wanted a piece of the pita bread he had made the night before and to drizzle it with some honey.  Perhaps he might even talk to Matthew.

Maybe.

He came in the kitchen groggy and unsure of what he was going to do, much less say.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Lord Kysis Liari (Ένας πεσμένος ήρωας.),
Fenwick Baldor (Song, wine, and a bit of trouble),
Calista Liari (Θραύσματα Ομορφιά)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Morning Routines
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »
Matthew was not having a good day, and it only got worse when he shivered his way into the kitchen - after banging the back door closed with an extremely loud slam - dripping muddy water all over the floor, and found Rico calmly eating an appetising looking breakfast.  It made the Oberon native even more cranky, in fact.

He\'d been over to the manor to prepare its inhabitants\' breakfast, as was part of his usual routine.  Ever since the first morning after Rico had moved in with him, that had been his job.  He did breakfasts, Rico did lunches and they prepared dinners together.  Matthew hadn\'t been certain why, but he\'d figured it had had something to do with the fact that Lam was suffering terrible morning sickness, thereby demanding very boring breakfasts (by Rico\'s standards).  He also hadn\'t seemed to approve of the way that Lord Liari had fussed over his pregnant fiancée that first morning after he\'d moved out, probably because he didn\'t like her at all.

Matthew wasn\'t sure what that was about, either.  He\'d asked Lam why it was that the Greek man constantly made derogatory comments about her, what had she done to him (for Matthew knew well that Lam could offend anyone, given half a chance), but she\'d given him an inscrutable look and said that he didn\'t approve of her marrying Kysis, because they were such close friends.  She\'d looked like there was more to tell and he\'d asked if there was any more to it - if she\'d done nothig to Rico, why was he so set against her?  It didn\'t make sense! - but she\'d said that, beyond those words, it wasn\'t her place to hypothesise and he\'d better ask Rico.

Well, there was no chance of that happening.   In fact, his housemate had Matthew\'s lips so well bound from biting his tongue every time he said something nasty about Lam, that he\'d barely spoken two words to the newcomer.  It was Matthew\'s opinion that Rico had every right to like and dislike anyone he wished, so he wouldn\'t try to convince him otherwise, when no-one knew Lam like he did, but it was becoming more and more difficult to hold back whenever something nasty and uncalled for was stated.

This morning, he simply couldn\'t any longer (though it wasn\'t directed at Rico when he spoke).

"Some people shouldn\'t be allowed to drive merchant caravans!" he greeted Rico from the doorway of the kitchen (he had stood there for almost a minute, deciding what to do, before he came up with following his feelings, rather than his head, for once), his voice louder than it had been in years, and quivering with anger.  After that announcement, he moved into the kitchen and headed for the fire.

"I was minding my own business," he continued as he reached his target and removed his jacket - which was marginally covered with muddy water.  It was his shirt, pants and face that seemed to have borne the greatest of the wash,  "on my way to the markets from the manor," he explained loudly, positioning his jacket on the back of the chair from beside Rico (he\'d pulled it back to be near him), before he paused to whip his entire upper body\'s garments off over his head and throw them down onto the floor before him, where they landed with a wet slap.

There was muddy wetness clinging to his chest - which was a surprisingly nice shape, with firm pectorals and a narrow waist around a flat stomach.  Though not ostentatiously hairy, there was a light smattering of blonde hairs across it, tapering down to the waistband of his pants, too, but they looked darker at the moment because they were wet.  He was not an overtly physical man, but his body was trim and neat from all the housework and walking he did - he very rarely stood still or sat down from dawn to dusk on any day, after all.

"When I noticed this merchant caravan trundling up the road towards me.  Very politely, I stood to the side - I was against a brick wall, I couldn\'t do much else except let it pass, quite frankly," he complained, glancing at Rico as he toed his boots off and began untying the string of his pants at the same time.  Whether his companion was paying attention to him was not strictly relevant at that point, however, for he was too mad to worry about it.  He needed to vent and Rico provided a welcome opportunity to do so (though the Greek man likely thought it was the most contained and stilted rant he\'d ever seen.  Even when he was enraged as he was now, Matthew found it difficult to actually let his emotions take hold of him and simply vomit forth his feelings), whether he liked it or not.

"So I was standing there, watching it roll towards me, when the idiot driver decided it was a good idea to speed the horses up - on a side road!  Well, next thing I knew, the bloody thing was flying past and there just happened to be a wheel rut right before me... filled with melting snow, mud, slushy water and.... and.... Talon knows what else!" he blustered, bending forward to yank his pants off.  He threw his hands up for good measure when tht was done.   This left him standing before the fire, slightly behind Rico, in only his underwear.  Though the material went from his waist to his ankles, it was thin, wet and clinging across his muscular thighs and rather sheer in its whiteness, so that the shadows and and bulges beneath left very little to the imagination, with regard to his... benefits, so to speak.

Matthew flung his pants down on top of the shirts he\'d formerly thrown down, and placed his hands on his hips demandingly.  "Now I need to bathe before I do anything else and I ask you, does that sound like the sort of thing a sane, rational driver would do?  Hurl his van down a street barely wider than it, endangering the lives of innocent people?"  He was staring at Rico now, a slight blush colouring his muddied cheeks, giving away how upset he was.  His blue eyes flashed with anger and he thrust a hand out towards his housemate, as if the answer he was demanding might be placed meekly on his flattened palm.

Bathing wasn\'t how he\'d planned to spend his morning - he hadn\'t even reached the markets, after all that, he\'d had to turn home immediately.  Technically, it wasn\'t the inconvenience of it - since Lam moved out, all of Matthew\'s belongings had gone up to her room and Rico had taken the one next door (he\'d taken her large bed, too, for Matthew was quite happy with his single one) when her armour and fighting paraphernalia was moved out, so they\'d made Matthew\'s old room beside the kitchen the bathing room, because it was closer to the water source and where they both spent the majority of their time - it was the fact of it.  He shouldn\'t have to start off his day drawing his own bath simply because of some fool\'s ignorance to the safety standards everyone in a city was accustomed to, should he?

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:36:25 PM »
Rico had glanced at Matthew upon his entrance, a brown brow arching up at the sight of him muddy and wet.  Well, it certainly looked bad.  And his rant was humoring.  It was so stiff and civil that it did not seem a rant at all, Rico listening carefully.  It was like a kitten was trying to threaten a kennel of a king’s hunting dogs.  It would have been cute, but Rico hardly gave a damn.  Matthew was bitching about something menial going wrong.  Rico was sure he had much better fish to fry in the matter.

The wet slap, first one, did not throw him off at all.  Rico kept eating peacefully, his Greek flatbread going perfectly just slightly warmed and accented with honey.  It was a good, if bitter, way to start the day.  Rico was taking another nibble (to savor the flavor) when another slap followed.  Alright, maybe a shirt?  Hmmm.  Rico did not turn to look, abiding his time listening and mentally laughing.

It was the third slap of wet clothing and the question that had Rico turning to look at him, eyes finding him nearly naked, eyes unable to stop themselves from raking over him.  The food he was trying to swallow did not quite go down right, Rico turning quickly away and coughing, covering his mouth.  He blinked while staring at the wall, wondering how in Aphrodite’s name a simple servant had stayed so fit, and why he had to be stripping down right there.  Didn’t he know?  Didn’t everyone know about Rico’s particular dislike of the female body and his like of the male gender?

Apparently not.

Well, Matthew and Lam were not as close as Rico had once thought.  Maybe his constant jabs at the Captain were not answered because Matthew didn’t care.

“That was rather… stupid of them.  Ah… What were you getting from the market?”

There were a few things Rico had wanted from the market but had not yet gotten, though that was hardly the biggest matter on his mind.  Rico was trying to distract himself from what was standing behind him.  Did all commoners just drop their pants anywhere they pleased?!  It was so… uncivilized.  Rico hoped Matthew hadn’t done this normally around the Captain.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
It was only once Rico looked at him and spluttered that it dawned on Matthew that he\'d actually taken all his clothes off.  He\'d been so angry and so intent on getting warmer - because the wetness in the frosty morning air had not been pleasant, whereas he was getting warmer almost instantly by standing by the low-burning fire as he was - that it hadn\'t occurred to him to worry about modesty.

It threw him off momentarily and his cheeks coloured in embarrassment, but he didn\'t think it was a terrible thing, ultimately.  Sure, the two of them had kept to themselves and bathed independently, but they were both men, it shouldn\'t really matter how he was clothed - or wasn\'t, as the case was, should it?  Except he got the feeling that it did.

"Just the usual," Matthew replied, crossing his arms across himself in order that he rub his biceps to warm himself further, giving a negligent shrug as he did.  "We need some more vegetables if possible - I was hoping for some silverbeet but if there was any, it\'ll be gone by the time I get there now," he frowned, deciding he might as well get on with the bathing that had to be done.  He turned to put more wood into the stove, to build up the fire so he could warm the water.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
Silverbeat?  Rico had yet to come across it in his studies of Oberon food, and the English names of everything.  It was hard to get the herbs he needed for Greek cooking when he could not properly ask for them in the market, by what the sellers knew they by.  Rico would have to look it up.  It sounded in high demand.

But that was hardly a good way to keep him distracted.  Didn\'t Matthew know how to carry on a conversation?  Rico was frustrated, but knew he, himself, had barely put forth the effort until now.  That was part of the reason why it was so awkward.  Matthew was practically naked!  In the kitchen!  And practically nothing was left to the imagination!

It was even a distraction from his own misery which had been sparked anew the previous morning.  It did not come to mind at the moment, Rico too busy fretting about being distracted to mope on it any more.  For now at least.

He glanced back over, forcing himself to keep his eyes fixed on Matthew\'s face.  Rico had not expected Matthew to be cut like that.... face.  FACE!!!

"I can help draw the bath?"

There.  That was a way to get him out of eyesight.  Well, until he came back in with the bathwater, but still, it was a break and time to prepare himself for the sight.  Matthew should have given some warning that he was disrobing.  It reminded Rico of Kysis when they were younger.  The young lord in training had slung his cloths off without thinking while Rico was around.  It hadn\'t helped things any.  At all.

Rico finished his last bite of pita, swallowing it down carefully before standing.  Rico doubted Matthew would have much nice to say about having to go draw water while still damp and muddy, and getting other clothing in such a state just to walk out in the crisp air.  So, he offered.  What was the harm?
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »
Matthew straightened from bending over to peer into the stove (not thinking about the fact that he\'d changed the view from his front to his taut rear), satisfied with the amount of wood he\'d stuffed in there.  He looked at Rico in surprise.  It was nice to see him making an effort to be nice; in fact, it was downright stunning.  Matthew had to consciously school his features into a smile, rather than a raised-eyebrowed look that matched his shock.

"That would be... uh, I\'d be grateful," he accepted, reaching up and pulling his nape-length hair free of the tie holding it in place at the back of his head.  He ran a hand through it unconsciously as he looked down at the buckets of water on either side of the stove, considering.  He kept four inside all through winter and made sure he went out the back and smashed away any overnight ice in the well on a daily basis, usually bringing in another bucket to replace what was used the day before - Lam had liked to bathe regularly and he was always afraid a big frost would strike and turn their well useless, so he was always prepared.

"Since these have been inside, they won\'t take too long to heat, but I\'d appreciate you refilling them once I tip them in," he told Rico, lifting one of the pails onto the stove top before turning and nodding with his statement.  It sent his fine hair fanning out around his face annoyingly, causing him to push it back as he leaned down and got another bucket up onto the stove (covering all the decent space, really), then had to repeat the process of shoving his hair back.  Likely, Rico hadn\'t realised until that moment how blonde Matthew was, for he always kept his hair tied back and it just looked brown for the most part.

"I suppose I have time for breakfast while it gets hot," he said with a little laugh as he leaned down to pick up his ruined clothing (ensuring it didn\'t touch his drying body).  He paused before he walked it out to the laundering pile in the little room behind the kitchen, looking enquiringly at Rico.  "Will you want to bathe as well?"  If his companion wanted a bath, he would let him go first because he wouldn\'t dirty the water nearly as much as Matthew would.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »
There was already water inside.  Rico should have remembered, from the brief amount of time he had spent in the townhouse.  He felt like an idiot, but also knew he would have to get more water once those were ready.  A little bit of a blush still reached his cheeks, just a pink dusting.

Rico wasn’t trying to be nice, but it served to get Matthew to talk more.  The young Retainer could concentrate on his lips while he was speaking.  It was not a great distraction (they were rather full, Rico noted, bigger than Kysis’).  The unruly hair was a better way to get his mind off the body which had just bent over before him.  Was Matthew mocking him?  Either that, or Matthew really was completely oblivious.

Wait.  Blond?  Rico saw the hair as it shown by the early morning light and the fire, its looking distinctly golden.  He could have sworn it was brown, rather like his own hair, but it wasn’t.  It didn’t matter. “Ah…” Bathe as well?  This early?  Matthew had an excuse but Rico did not.  In fact, Rico was thinking about doing some practice routines, and that would get him rather sweaty.  He would need to bathe after that, so he was at least presentable when he had to go back to the manor.  Rico had shirked his lunch and dinner duties the day before, and knew he could not again without seeming suspicious (and facing the wrath of the Captain when she learned what he had tried doing).

“I was going to practice later, so I… no.  I’ll just have to take another one later anyway.” Rico licked his lips, a nervous habit of his, chewing at the bottom one a little bit as he looked at the two pails of water, trying to calculate how many times he would have to travel back and forth.  Not too many, he hoped. “Probably.”

And he probably sounded a bit like an idiot at the moment, though Rico could blame waking up late (which he never did).  Would Matthew know differently?  Well, they did have rooms next to one another, but still.  Rico had no clue and did not feel like pondering it.  He would use the excuse if questioned either way.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »
Matthew watched Rico\'s mouth, seeing him biting his lip and wondering at the gesture.  It was almost as if he was unsure of himself; prior to this point, he\'d always been certain of what he said - especially if it was negative and to do with Lam.  It gave him some hope that the man wasn\'t the entirely hard shell he\'d assumed, if he could show that he had some second thoughts every now and then (even if it was just about bathing).

"Alright.  Just me, then," he said, breaking out of his reverie with a slight shake of his head (staring at the other man\'s mouth was rather rude, now that he thought about it), he took his clothes out of the kitchen.  When he returned, he set about getting himself some more food.  When he\'d got something that would suffice - he\'d eaten a some porridge at the manor, so he didn\'t need a lot now - he sat at the table beside Rico.

Now that he\'d aired his feelings of anger, he felt much better and concentrated on eating, having nothing else to say (though it did feel strange to be sitting at the table barely dressed).

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »
Rico let out a soft sigh, hoping it was not noticeable as he looked at the buckets of water, trying to see if they were hot enough for a bath.  Not quiet yet.  It was good Matthew just kept on going without seeming awkward, like Rico was.  At the moment, at least.  There were very few many things in the world that made Rico flustered.  Being alone in a room with Kysis, either early in the morning or late at night after sparring was always one of those moments.  Women flirting with him with another time.  Why did women flirt with bards anyway?  Most male bards, from what Rico had seen, were absolute whores and heart-breakers.  Who would want that?

This was a situation to be added to the list of awkwardness.  Being in a room with a half-naked man whom was not noticed as attractive until he strutted it all out in the open.

That thought had Rico even more uncomfortable, his sitting back in his chair.  Luckily he maintained his grace in plopping back down.  He strummed his fingers on the table, trying to conjure up a song in his head and failing miserably.  His brain was mush.  Great.

"What do you plan on doing for the rest of the day?"

In all his time there, Rico had not noticed Matthew having a regular routine, but that was mostly likely because Rico himself did not have a regular routine anymore, thus was never really in the same place at the same time two days in a row.  Rico stared at the fire, knowing full well that he would have to stand up a little to check the water again.  He did not like that Matthew was taller than him, which became obvious while sitting next to him.  So Rico tried concentrating everywhere but Matthew.  He was young, and attractive and---

CONCENTRATE!

Rico strummed his fingers on the table some more.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
Matthew turned to look at Rico, again surprised that he was being cordially chatted to, but better able to mask it this time because he had a mouth full of food. He chewed politely and then swallowed, not wanting to be rude and speak with his mouth otherwise occupied, even though this left a noticeable silence while he looked at Rico.

"Well, after I get clean again, I\'ll go back to the markets and see what\'s left. Hopefully, the farmers won\'t all have sold out. After that, I thought I\'d work on tonight\'s dessert - unless you\'re free to teach me a new Greek recipe?" he enquired, his blue eyes lighting up and a warm smile dancing about his full lips at the thought.

Rico hadn\'t done any teaching for ages; since he\'d moved into the townehouse, it had been the other way around, with Matthew doing the instructing so that his new housemate could find his way around the kitchen. Knowing the names of all the ingredients and discussing what they were used for so that Rico could identify the Greek name for them had been about as close as the two had got to cooking together (not to mention having an actual conversation. Well, until now, anyway).

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »
That interest made him pause for a moment.  Rico was about to get up, put the hot water in the tub so he could get some more when Matthew said he wanted another recipe.  A while ago Rico had promised to teach Matthew about Greek cooking, and he never had.  That was mostly because Rico had met the Captain that same night.  The woman Kysis was going to marry.

The whole situation still made Rico want to pull his hair out and scream at the top of his lungs.

But he didn’t.

Rico looked at Matthew, noting the smile, the look in his eyes.  He wasn’t joking.  There was one thing Rico would not teach Matthew: baklava.  No.  Only Rico could cook that for the couple, so there was at least one thing he was needed for.  If Matthew knew that trump card, Rico would be sent back to Greece in a heartbeat.  He knew it.

So not baklava.  Perhaps something else, though, Rico thinking.  Matthew might have something in mind. “I’m free.  I’ve been momentarily kicked out of the manor, anyway.” At that Rico let out a full sigh, slumping into his chair a little.  Then he remembered the water, getting up, taking the pails into the bathing room and dumping them in, going out to draw more water.  It took a little bit, but soon he was back in, muscles taught as he carried the buckets easily to set by the fire again.

With that he sat.  It would be a waiting game again.  Hopefully the other water didn’t go cold while they waited.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »
Sensing his moment, Matthew had just been about to ask what the story between Rico and Lam was and why he would have been \'kicked out\' of the manor when... the Greek man got up and set about pouring the water into the steel tub in the next room.  Matthew\'s open mouth closed with disappointment as he realised that he\'d let the moment slip by.  He was also frustrated that he didn\'t have the confidence to bring it up again; he would just have to hope it was raised while they were cooking... or something.

He followed Rico into his old bedroom silently, carrying the other bucket of hot water.  He was careful not to run into his housemate, watching the water but glancing up and offering a distracted smile as he shuffled into the room, muscles straining as Rico\'s had been until his bucket was emptied.  Then, they put the remaining water into the metal buckets (for two of them were lined wood) to heat on the stove and rico went out to refill them.  Matthew went upstairs to get a clean set of clothes.

Before long, they were back to sitting in the kitchen again but the blonde was far more animated now that he knew he definitely was going to be learning to make something new.  He fiddled with his hair and wriggled about on his chair more, facing Rico as he spoke to him with obvious enthusiasm (and possibly a little bit of hero worship, given that the Greek man was about to impart wisdom he could never get anywhere else - a foreign recipe).  "Do you know what you want to teach me to make?  Is there anything special you\'d like me to get while I\'m at the markets?"

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
Rico didn\'t want help.  He had been trying to dodge any question about the manor.  However, it seemed busying himself had worked just affectively as he had thought doing the task alone would.  And when he heard Matthew speak again at the table, he almost flinched.  Almost.  Then he realized what Matthew was saying.  Oh good, the servant boy knew when to drop something.  That would work well when dealing with Kysis (if he had said that out loud, it would have been as a growl).

Anything he needed?  Rico thought for a moment.  Damn.  He had totally forgotten what he was going to get when Matthew started stripping.  And since Matthew was still barely clothed (Rico had accidentally gotten another look while they were moving the water), his brain was not inclined to remember.

"I have no idea.  I can teach you to make a filo pie.... if the market has everything for the dough, plus pine nuts."  Rico considered it for a moment, then decided to throw a few more ideas out there and see which ones stuck. "Or hummus.  Since we already have pitas, it might be good to make hummus."

At least his thoughts were starting to kick up, now that he was sitting, and Matthew was sitting, and Rico was not looking in the fellow servant\'s direction.  Rico had never liked the idea of being called, or considered, a servant.  He was raised like a noble, paid like a noble, why was he still considered a commoner?  Rico did not voice any of that argument, as it was one that had been blaring through his head since the last time he went to a tavern, in which he tried starting some rumors.  Did it work?  Rico hadn\'t heard his own rumor yet, so he wouldn\'t know.

"Do you have any preferences?"
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »
"The pie sounds good," Matthew decided, even though Rico had sounded more enthusiastic about the hummus.  "I have some pine nuts, roasted to preserve them from last season, and plenty of flour and salt for dough.  We could make a few pies, enough for everyone at the manor for dinner as well," he said, sounding almost chirpy now.

Of course, mentioning dinner and the manor humbled Matthew somewhat and he was back to wondering about why the retainer wasn\'t welcome there and what his problem with the residents was but... he couldn\'t bring himself to ask.

To cover the sudden silence, he said the first thing that came to mind while he tidied up the remains of his small snack.  "In fact, tell me the ingredients for hummus and I can look for those while I\'m there.  As you say, we have pita bread and I\'m keen to learn, so we could have that here, just for the two of us."

He gave a friendly smile, hoping the conspiratorial phrasing might foster some unity between them and make it easier for them to live together.  So far, it had been an anxious thing but Matthew was rather liking this turn of events, and he could only put it down to better communication (about mutually interesting topics, rather than harping on the one that divided them).  He stared directly into Rico\'s expressive eyes as he smiled - in a manner than might be interpreted as intimate but was really just him trying to be encouraging.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:48 PM »
Matthew\'s ignorance was almost endearing.  Almost.  Rico couldn\'t help but glance back over at him, considering the idea.  Well, if Matthew was so eager to learn, and all Rico would have been doing anyway was sulking, so why not?  It sounded like a good distraction from his excommunication.  Rico didn\'t agree with his imposed exile, but he could not fight it either.  The decision was final, for now.  And Rico could haunt the manor by sending Matthew over there with Greek recipes.

"For the hummus we need.... chickpeas, garlic and olive oil.  I already have the olive oil.  We need something like..." Rico thought hard, trying to remember the English name for what he was thinking, "spinach for the pies, and a chicken too.  They can be made without meat, but it is not as substantial."

Rico went over the ingredient checklist in his mind, trying to be sure that he hit everything.  Spices.  Rico was currently out of everything but basil, but he did not need any basil.  That sounded like luck right there. "Oh, and oregano."  Rico checked his belt real quick, realizing he had left his money in his room. "I have been meaning to get herbs for a while and have some money for it..."

Half standing up, Rico looked over at the water before plopping back down.  Not quite yet.  Maybe soon?  Then, while Matthew was bathing, Rico could get that money.  Perhaps they would go better.  Rico had a whole list of spices he wanted for future cooking, and since they kept well, it would be fine to get them all together.  Some spices Rico could not even get in Oberon, which was frustrating, so every so often Rico would send Kreos a letter and they would send up the supplies he needed.  It was nice, being able to do that.

"Maybe we can go together?"
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα