Author Topic: Something to look at  (Read 4168 times)

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
Something to look at
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
There was once a very famous and important man in the field of psychology named Carl Jung who had very many ground-breaking discoveries. One of many of them was a test called Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which was a test that consisted of a series of questions that determined four aspects of the human personality that were broken down into 16 separate personality types.

The first category that is determined by this test is I and E: Whether a person is Extroverted or Introverted.

Extroverted people tend to receive a high from being around others, While Introverted people view social reactions with others draining and hard to maintain.

The second category is S and N, which stand for Sensing and Intuition. Those with sensing type prefer solid facts and evidence and tend to be the most logical. This is not to say that Intuitive personality types are not logical; it is just a contrast that those with this personality trait are likely to base decisions and judgments on more logical pursuits than those of such abstract  things such as feeling. Intuitive tend to be a little less structured in their decision making process, and as was stated before, may base decisions completely on feelings and other variants that cannot be communicated through the five senses.

The third-most category is T and F- Thinking and Feeling. While S and N is what an individual bases their decisions on, T and F tend to be the judging factor of these decisions. As you may have guessed by the title, those with the Feeling preference tend to base choices more or so on feelings and also tend to be the most empathetic of the two types. The Thinking type seems more retracted from situations emotionally, using logical approaches and common-sense to make decisions rather than what \'feels\' right.

The fourth, and very last category is J-P, which focuses on how an individual sees the outside world and how they deal with it. Those with a Judging factor appear to judge and rationalize situations more than Perceiving types, who are able to look at a situation from multiple angles. Perceiving types tend to appear more abstract in their logic than Judging types.

Together, these four categories make up a personality for individuals who take this test. Though, this is a commonly known test I\'ve started to notice that not many people seem to know about it. The reason I mention it here and find it so fascinating is because not only does it help give an insight to yourself and how you relate to others, the same can be done with characters. If one is to take this specific personality test and answer as their character would, that person may find a very accurate structure and description.

My personality type is INFJ, which is less than 2% of the population. I suggest you take the test yourself--though, it is mentioned that this test should only be taken voluntary. Don\'t fret, it\'s not like I\'m holding a gun to your head, forcing you to take it XD

Here is the Myer-Briggs Personality test.

I hope this information is useful or at least interesting to some of you.

I\'ve categorized my characters and found:
ENTJ- Chris
ESTP- Gannon
INTJ- Marso
ENFJ- Jared
ENTJ-Darshan
ENTJ-James
Feedback, results, whatever--feel free to post!

Offline Macabre Beauty

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Something to look at
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »
We are the 2% that hold the other 98% on the plate -chuckles- INFJ though personally I found some of the questions a bit ridiculous...
† Mishca - Mild Miscreant
†Nanashi - Cat. Boy.
† Keide - I see what lies beneath.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »
The questions sort of are, but if you answer it honestly I\'ve found accuracy.
At the very least, it helps me with my roleplaying.

The reliability of this test HAS been proven low. But I\'ve taken it several times and always received the same result.

And another INFJ?!

That\'s astounding! I\'ve met very few people who\'ve been INFJ.

A breakdown of the personality type percentages for everyone else who doesn\'t happen to be INFJ:

ISTJ- 12-16 % *the highest percent* of population
ISTP- 5-7 % of population
ESTP- 5-7 % of population
ESTJ- 10-12% of population
ISFJ- 9-12% of population
ISFP- 5-7 % of population
ESFP- 6-9 % of population
ESFJ- 10-12 % of population
INFJ- 2-3 % *the lowest percent* of population ( Rarest of all :P)
INFP- 4-5 % of population
ENFP- 6-8 % of population
ENFJ- 3-5% of population
INTJ- 3-4 % of population
INTP- 5-6 % of population
ENTP- 4-7 % of population
ENTJ- 3-5 % of population

w0rmy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Haha, I got  ISFP... no surprise there. This was interesting, thanks for sharing!

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:10:50 AM »
I\'m an ISFJ, a protector!! Me and Mother Teresa, we\'re like two peas in a pod. And I should be a nurse... or a secretary. Hmm... well at least I now know what to do with my life!

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:58:46 AM »
That is very interesting.

I\'ve actually tested ISFJ several times, and it seems to be a pattern that I fluctuate between INFJ and ISFJ.

I suppose the most important thing to keep in mind with this test is that as it has been pointed out, the accuracy is rather slippery.

This is because no test can truly determine who you are- the human mind is constantly changing. This is why when you take this test the results can vary depending on the time of day, or what events are currently preoccupying your mind. These details are very important because it proves that not only do you have the power to SEE what you are, but to change it. Various people take this test and are unsatisfied with their results, coming to a conclusion that "Well, that\'s just the way I am and I\'ll have to accept that". This is a false assumption because all four aspects of the personality can easily be changed if that is what you focus on doing. An Introvert can easily become an Extrovert if they truly desire it.

No test, quiz, or anything for that matter can truly capture a person\'s identity; however these do put a map to the brain and thinking of an individual which helps me to keep my characters consistent in roleplays, in accordance to the personality I\'ve given them.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:10:40 AM »
I took it several times and consistently got INFJ. The description was shockingly accurate. Right down to the strong empathic abilities. Kind of thought I was crazy until now. So it\'s all good I suppose. ^^

Anyway. Took the test for my characters:
Storm: INFJ
Laurent: INTJ
Extasis: ESFJ
Savina: INFJ
Hisakata: INTJ

It was cool. Thanks for sharing. :)
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:48:22 AM »
I find it absolutely fascinating that there are so many INFJ\'s here. Even though so far only a few have surfaced, to think that this group makes up only 2% of the population you have to consider roleplaycity to be some sort of haven for these people. It\'s booming with something that is thought to be so rare and scarce.

Thanks for posting about your characters, too. I like to compare and contrast about those things.

Rainshadowck has:

4 introverted characters 1 extrovert
4 intuition characters and 1 sensing
3 feeling characters and 1 thinking
4 judging characters and 0 Perceiving

It makes me wonder about how our ability to translate the world around us affects our writing. Our personality apparently DOES have an effect on what characters we are able to efficiently roleplay. They say that roleplaying is used as a tool to disguise ourselves and do and be as we wish we could, however according to the results so far it appears that we tend to stick to our own personalities ( or very close to them) as we roleplay.

I also find it amusing that in comparison to the rest, Extasis seems like a bit of an oddball. I think this type of character is what I would call a \'thrill\' character because they are so different from the rest it\'s almost as if they are special. Gannon is my thrill character, just about the exact opposite of I am.

There are lots of things to pay attention to, considering this is raw data that many people use in surveys and such. But to all of those who like visual interpretations:

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »
If you fluctuate between INFJ and ISFJ, it means you borderline between those two outlooks, you\'re not dramatically one way or the other.

I\'m fairly constant in those tests. The first time I took it, I was 19 years old, and got ENFP. (I was in a Psychology class at college at the time)

Some years later, I\'d progressed to INFJ :p but I\'m borderline between E and I (probably because I prefer to spend time alone but am not bothered being surrounded by people), and J and P (hmn, does that mean as I get older I\'m more set in my ways?).

Just took the test again, last time I took it was maybe a couple of years ago. I came out INFP (so I suppose I\'m still borderline and not so set in my ways ;) ) - apparently I\'m a Healer, and therefore an Idealist.

If you take this test every couple of years, you see your attitudes changing.

The interesting thing is the career choices, it pegged two of my jobs! It recommended Web Design in Art/Sciences and Education -and I used to be employed in web design before I left to become a motorcycle instructor (education/training). Spooky! *makes spooky fingers*

I\'ll post again (or edit this post, if nobody posts after me), with my Infusco characters. They\'re going to be VERY different. I\'m off the belief that RP is to play someone other than yourself :p

Lazarus is ENTP, with strong percentages each way - no borderline there!
Ben is ISFJ, with borderline J and P
Marcel is ISFP, no borderlines

Jon\'s a developing character, I don\'t really know him well enough to be able to answer the questions accurately for him.  As for Ezekiel, well, he\'s about as psychotic as Lazarus, only with less emotion.  He\'s a bit 2-dimensional right now, I haven\'t developed him at all!
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

w0rmy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:43:50 AM »
Since people are posting with their characters, I decided I might as well too. :P

Ophelus :  ESTP

Andrei:   INTJ

Heath:  ESFP

... Ophelus and Heath nearly scored the same... WTF. XD

Ashlei

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »
Interesting test, I myself am an ESTP.:D