Author Topic: Character Strengths & Flaws  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Character Strengths & Flaws
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:29:59 AM »
A lot of people are having trouble selecting personality-based or character strengths or flaws for your characters. Being allergic to chocolate, while interesting, is not a character flaw, it is a condition, perhaps to be listed under 'Quirks/Interesting Facts', but certainly not under flaws.  Also, species strengths and weaknesses are in the species info sheets and don't need to be recreated on the character sheets (if you want to be specific about what powers your character has access to, feel free to add it in as an extra prompt).

To help out, a list has been comprised here that includes certain characters strengths and flaws. While not being fully comprehensive, it is certainly an expansive list that should help you on your way when choosing flaws. The list has explanations in them describing the strength or flaw, so you can understand the various things it can mean.

CHARACTER STRENGTHS

Creativity (originality, ingenuity): Thinking of novel and productive ways to conceptualize and do things.

Curiosity (interest, novelty-seeking, openness to experience): Taking an interest in ongoing experience s afor its own sake; exploring and discovering

Open-mindedness (judgment, critical thinking): Thinking things through and examining them from all sides; weighing all evidence fairly.

Love of learning: Mastering new skills, topics, and bodies of knowledge, whether on one’s own or formally.

Perspective (wisdom): Being able to provide wise counsel to others; having ways of looking at the world that make sense to oneself and to other people

Bravery (valor): Not shrinking from threat, challenge, difficulty, or pain; acting on convictions even if unpopular.

Persistence (perseverance, industriousness): Finishing what one starts; persisting in a course of action in spite of obstacles.

Integrity (authenticity, honesty): Presenting oneself in a genuine way; taking responsibility for one’s feeling and actions

Vitality (zest, enthusiasm, vigor, energy): Approaching life with excitement and energy; feeling alive and activated

Love: Valuing close relations with others, in particular those in which sharing and caring are reciprocated.

Kindness (generosity, nurturance, care, compassion, altruistic love, “niceness”): Doing favors and good deeds for others.

Social intelligence (emotional intelligence, personal intelligence): Being aware of the motives and feelings of other people and oneself.

Citizenship (social responsibility, loyalty, teamwork): Working well as a member of a group or team; being loyal to the group.

Fairness: Treating all people the same according to notions of fairness and justice; not letting personal feelings bias decisions about others.

Leadership: Encouraging a group of which one is a member to get things done and at the same maintain time good relations within the group.

Forgiveness and mercy: Forgiving those who have done wrong; accepting the shortcomings of others; giving people a second chance; not being vengeful

Humility / Modesty: Letting one’s accomplishments speak for themselves; not regarding oneself as more special than one is.

Prudence: Being careful about one’s choices; not taking undue risks; not saying or doing things that might later be regretted.

Self-regulation (self-control): Regulating what one feels and does; being disciplined; controlling one’s appetites and emotions.

Appreciation of beauty and excellence (awe, wonder, elevation): Appreciating beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in various domains of life.

Gratitude: Being aware of and thankful of the good things that happen; taking time to express thanks.

Hope (optimism, future-mindedness, future orientation): Expecting the best in the future and working to achieve it.

Humor (playfulness): Liking to laugh and tease; bringing smiles to other people; seeing the light side.

Spirituality (religiousness, faith, purpose): Having coherent beliefs about the higher purpose, the meaning of life, and the meaning of the
universe.

CHARACTER FLAWS/WEAKNESSES

Self Centred: putting myself first: everything and everybody must suit me: I am the most important person in the world; playing god. I am the center of it all; it blocks relationships, promotes ego, creates selfishness and self-seeking; being obsessed about my needs and getting in my own way.

Resentful: to hold ill feelings against anyone; remembering how others have hurt me and desiring retribution and/or retaliation; judging others; wanting revenge; blaming others; well-nursed grudges.

Angry or Hateful: desiring harm for others; not wanting a good life for others; bitterness; refusing help from others; uncontrollable temper, justifying my "justified" anger.

Prejudiced: automatically pre-judging; others are inferior; being superior to others who are different; despising others of a different race, class, education, addiction, sobriety, etc. condemn other for their wrongs; maintaining a closed mind.

Malicious Intentions: gossip, character assassination of others; wanting someone dead.

Conceited: insist on things being done my way; critical of authority; always an "expert"; impatient with those who do not meet my high standards; expectations exceeding my actual abilities; thinking too highly of my will; putting intellect or vanity first; thinking my judgment is better than others.

Greedy: covet or desire what belongs to others; not content with what I have; collecting more material things for happiness; basing success on material things; possessions becoming the utmost importance; unwilling to share with others; lack and limitation; blind ambition; stealing; envy; jealous of people and things.

Lustful: adultery; secret lust for someone else; mental whoring; using people sexually for happiness; using other people for gratification; envious of lovers. Thinking love is the same thing as sex; rape; sexual fantasizing.

Indifferent: not caring about other people; being indifferent to desires and feelings of everyone; no desire to understand; being negative, inconsiderate; taking thinks for granted; mediocre.

Insincerity: false pride; lying; arrogant dishonesty; a false front; concerned about the impression I make to other people; pretending to be a great philosopher and moralist; trying to give away something I do not have (sobriety, program, spirituality, etc.) using alibis to evade responsibility; putting others down so I feel good; being controlled by the acquired false self.

Fearful: (CHIEF ACTIVATOR OF DEFECTS) dread; gloomy pessimism; lack of trust; separation from others; not living in the here and now; negative thought and attitudes; guilt of the past; relying on the thinker to solve problems it cannot handle; self-centered fear - primarily, fear that we would lose something we already possessed or would fail to get something we demanded; fear of people; rejection; not living the steps.

Self Pity: feeling sorry for myself; wallowing in my sorrows; magnifying my troubles; thinking that I am different; blaming my problems on others; withdrawing from the world; feeling that no one understands or loves me; feeling hopeless; feeling that I am a victim of circumstances.

Obsessive: refusing to remove an obsession from my life; justifying it.

Defiant: resisting others; resisting society; rebelling for its own sake; non-conforming.

Self-righteous:  feeling superior to other people; phony form of respectability; putting my values and ideas first; my way is the only right way.

Self-deceptive: believing that false ideas of myself are true; being something I am not; not living in reality.

Willful: in collision with something or somebody; even with good motives; into myself totally; me, myself, and I, regardless of the consequences.

False Dependance: emotional dependence upon other people; depending on a stronger person for protection and guidance; leaning on others; insisting on being over-dependent on others - "I can’t do this myself” and making others responsible for our progress, depending on people

Financial Insecurity: hoarding money; fear of losing a job; extravagant in my finances; manipulating; gambling; placing money over god, lack and limitation; "they don’t give me what I deserve!”

Domination: demanding attention, protection, and love from others; attempting to control others, telling other just how their lives should be lived; unreasonable demands on others, dominating those around me, forcing others to do my will.

False Pride: blind to my liabilities; hiding defects while blaming others for them; not making amends to all people I have harmed; associated with fear; exaggerated self-importance; feeling superior; braggart, grandiose; trouble admitting any weakness at all.

Self-Justification: continually making excuses for my behavior.

Intolerant: failing to practice unconditional love; intolerant of others; not allowing others to have different ways of thinking or living.

Emotional Insecurity: personal relationships which bring continuous or recurring trouble; sexual situations that caused anxiety, bitterness, frustration or depression; inability to accept conditions which I cannot change; unworkable relations with other people; over-dependence on people is unsuccessful because all people are fallible; I could not control my emotional nature; instincts and intuition gone wild.

Dishonesty: not being honest with myself or other people; lying; cheating; depriving others of not only their worldly goods, but of their emotional security and peace of mind, justifying my behavior; using alibis and stealing trust.

Self-Destructive: sabotaging anything good that comes into my life.

Slothful: procrastination; laziness; continually putting off things that need to be done now; complacency.

Gluttonous: excess eating or drinking; taking our comfort to the extreme; compulsion to overindulge.

Rationalisation: imagining that I had good motives and reasons when I really didn’t.

Perfectionist: unwilling to accept human mistakes - mine or other peoples; I set unrealistic standards for myself and others, then become frustrated and resentful if they are not met.

Impatient: I want what I want, and I want it now; not living in the here and now; inability to delay gratification.

INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :