Author Topic: An Innocent Day Turns Deadly  (Read 33934 times)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
An Innocent Day Turns Deadly
« on: April 02, 2008, 06:31:31 AM »
(Reserved For DeathsAngel)

Keara slowly opened her eyes and looked out her window; the sun could barely be seen for the horizon hid most of the sun. In a matter of hours it would soon rise far above the horizon and with it bringing another day. She shook her head a little to wake herself up while pulling the covers back and swinging her legs over the bed. As her warm feet touched the ground it was met with the cool floor beneath her feet. She stretched a little before completely getting off the bed and briskly walked over to wash her face. The cold water woke her up instantly; she was now fully alert and ready for today’s events.

She had been looking forward to meeting Malken once again; it was the only thing that was on her mind when she wasn’t working. Although they were not under normal circumstances that would be described as a date it was still nice to see him once again. Even if she was going there for sword lessons and he had clearly stated that he did not like the sport she hoped that he company would change his mind and hopefully he would enjoy it.

She briskly walked over to her cabinet and swung open the doors, inside lay her Rangers clothing or what some people called a Rangers uniform. She first tied her hair back into a pony-tail too keep her hair out of her eyes. She quickly put on her pants that were dyed in light brown color; she then quickly slipped on her top half which was also dyed the same color, she slipped on her leather boots and finally her cloak that was colored in shades of green and grey mixed together. She grabbed her quiver and tied it to her back and her bow she threw over her shoulder as well as her throwing knives that were tied around her waist. She then grabbed the sword that was hanging on her door and fastened it to her left hip before walking down stairs.  

Thomas was already waiting at the table for her as she came down the stairs, he had to admit she was one of the few rangers that looked good with a sword, and he gave a slight smile towards his daughter. Keara could see that he as well was dressed up in his rangers garb as well with the many metals pinned to his cloak. She stopped and looked at him with curious eyes wondering what he was up too; Thomas spoke to her in joyful voice.  

“I’m coming with Keara, it’s not everyday I get to see my daughter in action.”

Keara rolled her eyes and said nothing, she started to walk to the door and she heard her father’s footsteps. She gave a slight smile towards him, she would enjoy him coming to watch her and maybe it would loosen this protective hold he had on her. It would show him that she could defend herself when it came to fighting in hand to hand combat. She whistled for her horse and he came running across the field with due speed, she swung herself onto her horse.

“Fine you can come but I might take Malken riding afterwards and I want some alone time with him … and that means no following. Besides it wouldn’t kill you to make friends with someone that wasn’t a Ranger.”

Thomas nodded before calling for his horse as well; he would respect her wishes since he knew she wouldn’t do anything stupid with the boy. He swung himself up on his horse before nodding to Keara that he was ready to leave. She dug her heels in Weunut and he went full speed into a gallop with her father right behind. She loved how the wind hit flowed past her like nothing, soon enough she would be at Malken’s.

As she neared his house she whispered in her horse’s ear and he gave a burst of extra speed, jumping over the stone fence with relative ease. She looked back to see her fathers horse scarcely making it over the wall as well. She pulled back on the reins a little to slow him down as she saw Malken and his father on there beautiful deck, Weunut slowed down to a trot before stopping and rising on his two back legs then pounding in the ground with his front feet.

She patted her horse on the neck before swinging herself off and talking in Gaelic to her horse, he trotted over to the grass area that was away from the house and began to munch on it with delight. Her father pulled up beside her his face a little pale; he motioned his horse to join Keara’s before speaking to her.

“Never do that again, I almost fell off the bloody horse when he jumped over the fence. Good morning to both of you Sir Belron, Lord Malken. I decided to come with it’s not everyday I get to see my daughter in action.”

He gave a cheery smile to both of them and Keara rolled her eyes towards her father, she looked towards Malken with a smile on her face and unsheathed her sword with lightening speed and twirled it in her hand.

“I’m ready if you are Malken, but don’t think I’ll go easy on you.”

She gave a smile towards Malken, she would surely enjoy this and she hoped that he would as well.

DeathsAngel

Re: An Innocent Day Turns Deadly
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:25:15 AM »
Malken figured he had gotten some sleep after all, because he was waking from it. He slowly, and had to admit, reluctantly got out from his bed and washed his face. As soon as he was awake he made sure that he looked himself over in his mirror. How he despised the training uniform, but it was no use wearing the style if it just got all torn up, and he doubted Keara would mind.

"Good morning, Malken." His father greated, Malken grunted and grabbed a loaf of bread and ate it without even sitting down. He slowly pulled his boots on and got ready to go call on Keara.

He had just walked out the door with his father closely behind when Keara and her father appeared before him. He smiled at the girl, barely noticing Thomas. "Keara, you must be the only person I\'ve ever met who looks absolutely beautiful in uniform." He stepped towards he, then turned his head noticing Thomas as he spoke. He nodded courtly, a smile on his face.

"It is good to see you again, Thomas." Sir Belron said. "We can have eat some breakfast and dinner as the children practice." He had a habit of calling anyone twenty years or more younger than him "children". Malken chose not to comment.

"Have you eaten or do rangers get up as early as they\'re rumored to?" Malken asked Keara politely, though slightly jokingly. "I thought I had gotten up early so that I could go and get you, but I see that it wasn\'t as early as I had thought." He smiled. He couldn\'t help but to, she looked absolutely stunning, almost as pretty as she had in the garden the other night.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:48:37 AM »
Keara smiled at Malken as he told her she looked beautiful in her Rangers Garb; she rolled her eyes at him playfully. He stepped towards her and it was only then did Malken notice her father. She gave Malken a look that was most clear on her face that she couldn’t get rid of the man and he insisted on coming. She looked at Sir Belron with a bit of a raised eyebrow, she he just call her a child. She shrugged it off for she was not in the mood to correct him on that one, although her father walked passed her and couldn’t help but give a smile towards her.

“That sounds like an offer I can’t refuse Sir Belron.”

“You never could refuse an offer that involves food, don’t give him free range of the kitchen he’ll eat you out of house and home Sir Belron.”

“Don’t listen to her, she just envious because I actually have some meat on my bones.”

Keara rolled her eyes once again and walked towards Malken, he looked like a different man in his Uniform. She looked him up and down with an amused look on her face, a look that said he looked quite handsome in his uniform. She spoke in a amused voice towards Malken.

“The uniform is a nice look for you Malken. Yes I’ve eaten but thank you for the offer and we get up just before sun is about to rise. We rise early and we retire to bed late. Now where would you like to practice.”

She winked at him and smiled, she was ready for him and whatever he had to throw at her.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:01:03 AM »
Malken laughed lightly at her comment about her father. "Do not worry youself, my lady." Sir Belron allowed a small smile to appear on his face. "I am a military man, I have prepared myself for the worst... Plus I doubt he eats as much as my son."

"I do not eat a lot." Malken protested. "Not nearly as much as you, anyhow."

"You do not eat a lot!" Sir Belron laughed. "My son is also a jester!" He turned to Thomas. "Good! My cook made some very nice pork that I have not had time to endulge myself upon, I shall ask her to heat it for us!" He turned and re-entered the house, calling for the cook who had been up for hours now.

"Well, than I see the rumors are indeed mistaken. Rangers do not rise as early as the servants." Malken turned back to smile once again at Keara. "They rise about four hours before dawn, they used to wake me but I have long since gotten used to their comings and goings." He offered his hand. "Shall we, my lady?" He asked with a smile.

"I\'m afraid you shan\'t have any problem beating me, I\'m not very good. Though I must admit, it\'s mostly my own fault. It might ruin my hands." He said going back to the joke his father had made the other night, though it wasn\'t completely true.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:55 AM »
Keara laughed as Sir Belron called his son a jester, only to stifle it a little with her hand. Thomas then walked into the house with Sir Belron while turning back and waving to Keara and she waved back at him. She raised an eyebrow at Malken when he made his comment on servants rising earlier than Rangers. She gave him a swift and quick answer at his little comment.

“That may be true they do rise earlier than rangers, but then again they do have to feed a jester and they need lots of time to prepare lots of food.”

She laughed once again but gave him a wink to show him she was just joking. She gratefully took his hand and laughed once again at his little joke about his soft hands.

“I’m not that good either I only know the basics of sword movement and techniques. Lead the way Malken.”

She sheathed her sword and was ready to go where ever they were going to practice.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:22:43 AM »
When Keara laughed at his father\'s joke he gave her a mock betrayed look, only to have it turn back into a smile. "Yes, indeed." He nodded his head gracefully. "It does take a lot to feed a jester such as I. But, you must know, jester\'s only live to please." He mixed a flatter in with his joke.

"Now, to the practice field. My father should come out soon and will end up yelling at us to do it right then intervene, as he always does. But won\'t during warming up." He smiled and led her towards the well-worn practice field. He took a couple steps back, unsheathed his sword and touched the tip to the ground in peace. "Shall we?" He asked once again.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »
She followed him towards the practice fields, she laughed at his joke as they walked towards the fields. She was amazed at how huge the field was; that she thought could be used to her advantage. If it was a small field she couldn’t do the many things that Rangers could do when dodging an on coming attack.

“Hopefully your father won’t be too harsh of a man on the subject. Mind you I could probably move faster than him if I tried.”

She smiled as he let go of her hand and stepped back two paces away from her, he gracefully unsheathed his sword and pointed it towards the ground the tip lightly dug into the earth. She undid her cloak tha was hanging around her neck, it would only get in the way, she tossed it aside towards the fence that surrounded them. She unsheathed her sword as well, holding it within her two hands.

“Your move Malken.”

She was now no longer in a light and bubbly mood. She was now serious for Malken had told her that his father had drilled into him that this was not a game and he was right. She readied herself for his oncoming attack.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:21:56 AM »
Malken slowly lifted his sword, slightly put out that she had become serious. It would have been easier to handle sparring if she had her light air about her. But too late to wish for what he didn\'t have.

"As you wish." He said seriously, though slightly embarrassed at his lack of skill. He stepped forward a small step and lightly tapped her sword, testing her return speed. He started slow with the basic of basics, warming up both his and her muscles, though he started to speed up as he warmed.

Malken showed signs of natural talent, though only barely trained. He was warm and moving about twice as much speed as when he had been when he started when Sir Belron led Thomas out into the practice field. He didn\'t say anything for fifteen minutes before he came into the field yelling at Malken\'s stance.

One of the few things that Sir Belron took extremely seriously was swordplay. He just could not handle mistakes. "YOU STEPPED ALL WRONG!" He yelled as he approached his son to show him how he should have stepped. "I was warming up, Father." Malken protested.

"It doesn\'t matter! I taught you those steps when you were five! You should have the down by now!" Sir Belron yelled and Malken gave Keara a "See, what\'d I say?" look.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
He stepped forward quickly and lightly tapped her sword; she swung back at him hitting his sword twice as hard with rapid speed. She had admirable reflexes when it came to doing anything that required speed and reflexes. He started off very slow and she concentrated on the way she handled the sword while concentrating where his sword would land.

There swords started to move faster after a while, her feet flawlessly moving with every step. She had to admit that Malken was good and was more than a match for her; kept her defenses and he did as well, she could barely get past them. She had a slight smile on her face while they danced; she couldn’t help but smile around him. She recited the steps and movements in her head as best as she could all while defending off Malken’s attacks.  

Left, Right, Left, Parry, Right, Downward Slash, Twirl to the outside on the Right, Parry, Twirl Outside to the Left, Parry, Upward Slash …

She was then interrupted by the yelling or Sir Belron, and she lowered her sword to the side of her with a bit of a raised eyebrow towards Malken. Sir Belron approached them and showed his son how he should have stepped; she didn’t know that Sir Belron was that serious about swords play. She looked at Malken and answered in a low voice.

“I thought you were doing just fine Malken, not that I’m warmed up I think I’ll try a little harder.”

“Oh boy I know what means, I’d watch out if were you Malken. She can be quite the speed demon when she wants to be.”

She gave her father a slight wink; she was still smiling when she turned to face him. She raised her sword with lightening speed and she came at him, her sword coming with fury of stabs and slashes towards him. Her feet moving the way Sir Belron had showed them only a few moments ago. His sword came at her and she evaded the attack by gracfully rolling off to the side, she held her sword high and she gave him a look that she was more than ready to see what he had up his sleeve.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:54 AM »
Malken held his sword firmly, but loosely as he stepped forward slowly and surely to place his attack. He felt the usual heat he always had when fighting, it was only afterward that he regreted it.

"I shall be honered." He joked right before he placed his first attack. True, compared to an experienced vetran he was nothing, but he was better than most Trainees. He just refused to be trained.
 The longer into the fight, the quicker his blocks became as the quicker her attacks came, she was fast.

"NO! Slow down both of you before you wear yourselves out! This isn\'t like Ranger fighting, swinging heavy chunks of metal around will wear you out!" Sir Belron continued his lecture. In everything they did he continued his lecture. He didn\'t say everything they did was wrong, sometimes he just nodded in approval or more often than not, tell them an even better way to do it.

Malken knew his father was right as breathing became harder, swords really weren\'t light at all! He put a little more concentration on breathing, but still kept his main focus on the extremely fast lady.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 06:45:41 AM »
Keara could feel herself start to sweat a little as they danced around the training fields. There swords clashing together as they both attacked and blocked each others movements with the swords. A determined look settled on Keara’s face, she barely noticed that there steps were becoming faster as the moved around, his sword coming at her with intense speed. Malken was more than a match for her and she wouldn’t let him get past his defenses. She tried to look for a pattern in his moments for a way to get past his exceptional skills.

She heard Sir Belron yelling at them that they were moving too fast and to slow down, it was only then did she realize the sword started to feel heavy in her hands. Her breath started to stagger a little as well as Malken’s. She slowed down her pace a little not moving quite as fast on her feet no longer, yet her sword still moved with elegant grace through the air. A few minutes later the sword no longer felt heavy in her hands, her movements slowed to an easy yet intimidating pace.

She couldn’t find a pattern in Malken’s defenses, as Sir Belron said this was not like Ranger fighting at all and she changed her tactics a little. Instead of going at him in a constant attack she laid off a little letting him attack her, he would be hard to get through his defenses.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 06:59:56 AM »
((OOC: Again, sorry it took so long to reply I\'ve been suffering from writers block recently))

Malken switched from offensive to defensive once she started to attack, allowing her to continue her attacks. SHe was quick, but had slowed down when she heard Sir Belron tell her she was going too fast. He, too, slowed down as she did, going at her speed.

He quickly blocked and countered over and again, controlling his breath. "NO! You\'re allowing her to stay offensive, make some moves, Malken."

"I will spar how I wish father. You can critique my moves but now my methods." He replied without taking his gaze or his attention of her, he let a wary smile sneak to his lips as he continued to block her attacks as his countering slowly died out, until he was just block.

He continued this for a few minutes, regaining some of his strength as he dodged more than blocked and then he started to attack again, using basic movements but put them in complicated combinations that few his skill level could do, showing once again his natural talent but lack of training.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:36:36 AM »
((( Ooc; That\'s okay :) )))

Keara remained focused on her movements as she attacked Malken; He movements slowed down a bit and she felt that with her movements slowed she could have more control over her sword that was gripped in her hands. He was quick to counter her attacks; each time she went to strike his sword was there to block her attack. Her eyes had a determined look on her face but it also had a mixture of enjoyment as well, for she was just happy to spend time with Malken.

A smile crept onto his face; his blocking as well as her attacks slowly came to a stop. She waited with her sword raised in a defensive manner; he came at her with a series of combinations that involved the basic movements. She was able to block most of them but some she had to dodge either to the left or to the right. As soon as she dodged he was right on her again, there was no way she could attack with him this close she had to be given space.

She blocked once again, there swords clashed together and she pushed him away from her using her upper body strength and did a back flip giving her the much needed space she required. She heard her father call out from porch he was sitting on.

“Keara, Don’t get too over confident child.”  

Keara ignored her father. She came at him spinning to the left side of him, her sword coming at his left hip only to be blocked. She spun to her right and brought the sword up over her head and brought it downwards, that too was blocked. She then blocked his attacks once again and rolled of to the side, his attacks once again on her like flies on honey. She kept blocking his attacks with her sword, she noticed that it was late afternoon and she hoped that she was still able to take him riding after these lessons.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »
As she attacked and he parried, sometimes being forced to move out of the way, Malken felt a strange sense of joy. She was good, more skillful than he, of that he was certain, it was just that his training(however much he had had) concentrated on swords as hers was on being a Ranger. He thought of this, though without removing his concentration, as his enjoyment became even stronger. Mal felt a small laugh come to his lips, but quickly stopped knowing his father\'s response.

"Why do you laugh every time you fight?" Sir Belron had stopped dancing around them and had even stopped many of his corrections, instead had started up a conversation with Thomas once more, until he had heard his son\'s laughter. "Is there something funny about fighting?"

"No, sir." Malken answered as he attacked Keara once more, then blocked. Sir Belron grunted and returned to his conversation, and Malken noticed that he was breathing hard again. He stepped back and singled a stop, then turned to the sky. "I believe it is about time for a break, don\'t you think?" He asked Keara whilst his smile grew even more. She was right, he had enjoyed his practice with her more than he usually did. Which was a blessing on its own.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 04:54:44 AM »
Keara parried his attack that came towards her, and then she attacked back at him with brute force. Her breathing was no longer smooth and controlled; now she was breathing whenever she could while handling her sword. This was much harder than she had expected, yet a good workout was always something she enjoyed but she didn’t think this would have gone on for so long.

She then saw a small smile emerge from Malken’s lips followed by a short but loud laugh. Only then did Sir Belron ask if there was something funny about fighting and Malken’s reply was short before he attacked her again, she blocked it and attacked back only for him to block it as well. His breathing sounded like and old man’s breathing but so did Keara’s. He then stepped back and signaled for her to stop; she lowered her sword and sheathed it.

“I’ll have to agree with you on that one Malken.”  

She looked back at her father and he waved his hand to her.

“Yes, yes go take him riding if you want Keara but be back before dark.”

She nodded before whistling loudly for her horse, he came galloping full speed around to the training fields and came to a slow trot when Weunut approached her with pride. She grabbed her cloak and swung herself up onto her horse. She strapped her sword onto the side of the horse.

“Coming Malken.”

She waited for him to get his horse for she was excited to show him places that rarely anyone knew about.