Author Topic: Check Me Up  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • The Relentless Muse Blog
Check Me Up
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:33:27 AM »
In his profession, it was a good idea to get a check up now and then.  Being good at what he did hardly made him immune to the ailments which were transmitted by what he did.  Fane knew this, and before coming to the Nameless City, had gone to regular medical check ups, gotten immunity shots, took his vitamins, and was as careful as possible.  However, getting a doctor’s appointment now within the city was proving quite difficult.

One clinic asked all sorts of questions, including profession.  Fane answered truthfully, and was turned down, because the clinic wanted to keep a good reputation.  Riiiight.  Rolling his eyes, Fane had gone to the nearest phonebook and looked up other places with doctors, finding a few and walking to each one.  It was a good workout, and not too warm a day out.  His bright red hair was slightly wind tossed, but running his pale fingers through it did help.

Each one turned him down.  He was strange, made people nervous, was not from around there.  Fane was wondering when these people would honestly run out of excuses.  At the last clinic, one of the people there, in the lobby, slipped him a card.

Alright… Fane was expecting a dump, some place where all the whores and such could go.  When he saw a flier on the way there, a smile curved up on his pale, full lips.  Perfect… Fane hurried his pace, walking in through the front doors.  That smile, slanted towards one direction more than the other, eyes cold but too deep in their stare, was friendly, charismatic.  It was the kind of smile that drew normal people in, and cued the ‘in the know’ crowd in that Fane was not quite normal.  What he was was totally up to interpretation.

Walking up to the counter, Fane waited a moment, looking around.  He was frustrated, hungry, and sick of looking for a good clinic for now.  This had better be good.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Lord Kysis Liari (Ένας πεσμένος ήρωας.),
Fenwick Baldor (Song, wine, and a bit of trouble),
Calista Liari (Θραύσματα Ομορφιά)

Uzaki

Re: Check Me Up
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:54 AM »
It took him a moment to sense someone staring at him, but when he did Jonah looked up from behind the desk and the computer he was typing away on. The short and dark figure of the girl-child Mel stood in the doorway and stared at him with large, empty eyes. Behind her the light from the corridor shone brightly and shaded her face. Jonah stood, brushing apart his white doctors coat to place both hands on his hips.

“You have a visitor.” She let him know.

“Go get him then.”

“No. The Doctor needs me.” Was all she let him know, not bothering to wait for him to reply before she turned and disappeared past the door and down the corridor. The lack of sound of shoes against floor something he was used to but not fully comfortable with. Sighing he brushed a hand over his forehead, pushing away stray strands which tickled against his skin, and left the room in direction of the reception area.

The person had his back to the Jonah but the doctor was already smiling, a turn of lips upwards that made his eyes crinkle a little and most of his tiredness disappear. Still with both hands on his hips he stopped a few feet from the other, briefly taking notice that there was no other person than him waiting to see him and with the next thought he hoped there hadn’t been long waiting time.

“Hello.” He began, drawing attention in case the other hadn’t noticed him yet. “Can I help you?”

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »
At the sound of a voice, Fane turned, pushing his strawberry bright hair out of his face as his eyes flicked quickly over the person presented him.  There was something about the aura projected on this man... Fane decided not to think about it, fishing in his pant pocket for the card he had been slipped.

For once, Fane was dressed normally, with a v-necked dark grey shirt, plastered tight to his skin.  Anyone who gave even a passing glance would notice the fact that one nipple was pierced, said piercing causing a rise on the shirt.  Black pants and boots (he did not tuck his pants into said boots, so they were barely visible) finished off his drab (by his opinion) appearance.  It was best to try looking normal for normal transactions, Fane had told himself that morning, but so far it had not worked.

Putting the card on the counter, voice a low purr as he spoke.  That was just how it naturally came out. "I\'m new in town..." So many refusals today had actually made him slightly nervous, Fane shifting his weight from one foot to the other. "How would I go about setting up a normal check-up?"

Watch, he told himself, they were going to ask what his profession was too, and then turn him away for reputation purposes.  Fane sure hoped not, considering the sign he had seen.  If he got turned down again, Fane knew it was a matter of karma by this point, and seriously needed to deal with it.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Uzaki

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 08:39:29 PM »
“A normal check-up? You mean a medical check-up?” he clarified, mostly to himself as the other obviously had made his way into the clinic with that purpose, and moved a hand to scratch his chin. Fingers scraping against the short sheen of stubble that had gathered over the past few days of not shaving. (He secretly thought it made him look ruggedly handsome.)

“Finding a med-clinic is a good start.” He grinned, a little lost as to why the other was asking ‘how to’ and not just for him ‘to do it’. “And then you need to ask me to examine you and after that we’ll do just that. Does that answer your question?”

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:15:17 AM »
“Sounds simpler than it is.” Fane spoke through his smile; it was a smile he knew to normal people was distracting, hypnotic even, though Fane had an itching feeling that it would do absolutely nothing.  Such a fact might have been irritating had he been trying to do this for an effect.  He wasn’t.  He was just giving his dazzling smile, hoping like hell underneath it that this would be his last stop for arranging said checkup.

Fane leaned on the counter, head quirked lightly to the side.  That was how he talked with everyone, though it was hardly appropriate.  Perhaps the only inappropriate part was how his back was arched in said position, not that Fane noticed.  He always conversed like that when presented with a counter, bar, or table.

“So, I would like to set up an appointment.  For you to examine me.” Yes, Fane knew how that sounded, as his pale blue eyes glittered playfully.  The doctor had worded it that way, so Fane was merely repeating him.  He was completely innocent… Ha.  Like hell.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Uzaki

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 05:49:59 AM »
”Really?” he questioned, not knowing what the other was referring to but supposed if it was stated it was perhaps true. And, if the other had come here maybe there was more than meets the eye and then Jonah could understand that it wasn’t as simple as for a normal human to set an appointment. That and the insurance issue drove customers to the clinic.

Bright eyes flickered over the other for any visible sign the visitor being non-human, sweeping past the spreading smile which in turn brought a similar smile to the doctor’s lips. The look, the smile almost equaled Fane’s yet lacked awareness of it as his focus lay mainly on the new face before him.

“Sure, sure, no problem. You want to do it now or make an appointment for later?” he asked, oblivious to any playfulness that might’ve been heard in the chosen phrasing. Working he seldom indulged in sating his appetite for… companionship, at the most it was flirting or maybe even as far as asking for a number if someone caught his attention.

“I’m Jonah by the way.” He added and tapped the name plate on his chest that read Dr. Jonaleth.  

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:57:29 AM »
"Right now would be... perfect." Fane was glad that this was finally working out for the better. Soon he would have his usual check up, to make sure he was healthy, and then be on his way to a much brighter day.  And night, for that matter.

Considering his profession, regular check ups were a must.  Fane did not want to catch something, get terribly ill and die.  Plus, it was best for business if he didn\'t give anyone anything in turn.  This was all about making ends meet.  Well, mostly.  Fane preferred to be healthy as well.  It felt better to be at the top health, active and alive.

Fane knew he would kill himself if he ever became an invalid.

"And I\'m Fane."  Fane was an odd name, unless you were from a slavic country.  However, Fane noted the name tag Jonah wore.  Jonaleth was also a strange name.  Good.  There were on an equal playing field when it came to that, something Fane was always concerning himself with.  After being in an orphanage, he knew how rough it was to be singled out for anything.

Not that his odd appearance wouldn\'t do the singling out for him.  When people realized that fiery bright red was his natural hair color, they often spooked.  This place seemed quite used to the odd or abnormal, so as far as Fane was concerned, there should be no issues.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα