Author Topic: Ragnarök  (Read 25075 times)

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Ragnarök
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »
It can\'t be night already, can it? These were the words in Vivianne’s head as she sat back on her heels, and surveyed her work – briefly – before her eyes travelled upward, looking into the inky blackness that shrouded the park, over the railing surrounding the center of the well-lit gazebo, where she knelt.

Around her was a scene out of Norse mythology; the World Tree – a massive Ash, with branches that reached the sky, and roots that reached the center of the Earth – was it\'s center. Below the Tree coiled the World Serpent, coiled around a massive taproot, dripping it\'s venom into its treacherous father Loki\'s eyes, as his wife – a tiny figure on the edge of their stone island – wept. Above the world, nestled in the branches of the world-Tree, was Asgard, home of the Gods; a city of fire. Around the whole image, however, stretched the jaws of a wolf, whose red eyes were suns. This last was Fenrir, whose jaws would devour the world, whose coming was the coming of Ragnarok, and the end of all things.

The piece took up the entire floor of the gazebo, and was done entirely in chalk. The chalks were nicer – and more colorful – than those given to children, but chalk is chalk, and impermanent all the same. It was Vivianne’s favorite medium. Given this, the details were blurred, but the picture was the same – vivid and rich, a cornucopia of umbers, jades, and other jewel tones, accented by the stark white-gray of the World-Tree\'s bark, and the all-consuming reds, yellows, and oranges of the Wolf\'s burning eyes.

The artist was somewhat mythical, herself. A waif, a spirit, a faery – in her thin, fragile way, Vivianne was achingly beautiful. Pale blue eyes stared into the dark, round in her pale, angular face. Her hair hung to her waist in a fine curtain of pale gold, streaked with color where her long fingers had passed through it as she worked. Her back was straight, jerked out of its customary hunch by her sudden alertness. Her feet were bare – one missing its pinky toe – and also covered in chalk, poking out from the torn lace hem of her skirt.

Turning those crystalline eyes downwards to contemplate the complexity of her work, Vivianne could see how it could\'ve taken so long, but she still didn\'t quite believe it. Rubbing her eyes (and leaving green circles around them from her chalk-covered hands) she looked again, blinking at the darkness.

She had gotten there early, specifically to avoid this. She\'d arrived at about six in the morning, and set to work. The sky threatened rain, so people stayed away from the park – though the clouds still had yet to loose their fury – and she was left alone to her work. The dull light had faded, and she hadn\'t noticed when the bright fluorescent security lights hidden in the eaves of the room-sized structure had replaced the weak sun.

Unsure of what to do next – though she knew Rook couldn\'t be too far – Vivianne sat in the middle of her pool of artificial light – on her island in the sea of encroaching dark, the red suns of the Destroyer\'s eyes provided little comfort.

DeathsAngel

Re: Ragnarök
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:32:52 AM »
Delson woke as the last rays of sunlight left his world, and though it burned him to do so, he watched for a split second, the beauties of the day and let out a regretful sigh.
A month ago he would have sworn vengeance upon the one who had made him thus, as a matter of fact, he had. But now, he just dealt with it and lived on. His curse wasn\'t that bad compared to some who suffer more, and still, they live on, so should he.

Leaving such depressing thoughts behind him, let left his apartment. He had been kicked out of his old on because he hadn\'t paid, but he had quickly found a new one, and dropped his rent on the desk as he left the building.
"Don\'t you ever come out during the day?" The clerk asked, half asleep.
Delson laughed a little. "The night is my day, neighbor." He nodded respectfully as he left the building.

An hour later, after he had fed and was clean again, he walked the streets of the Memorial Park. He had recently taken a liking to the place, it gave him peace after the beginnings of the night, which still gave him chills, and probably always would.
To be forced to take another\'s life for... Food, was almost too much for Delson to take, but, he forced such thoughts from his head. It was just the way things had to be.

After a little while, Delson found himself whistling a song he had heard on the radio, though he couldn\'t remember the words, that was why he was whistling it instead of singing.
But he stopped suddenly as his scenery changed slightly. It wasn\'t the girl that surprised him, but the drawings around her. She had obviously spent a lot of time one this, especially since it was only chalk and would wash away with the next rain.

Smiling, as to not to startle her, he stopped and looked around at the large picture. "It\'s never nice." He said after a minute. "Did you do this?" he said, waving his hand around slightly, indicating the chalk drawings around him.
Luckily he had already... Eaten that night for he felt no desire to harm a pretty girl like this, especially one with such talent in drawing.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 06:25:53 AM »
So concerned was she with the dark outside, the teenager was completely unaware of the quiet dark moving in to her circle. His footsteps were quiet, as was the way with his kind. Sensing movement, her head snapped around, expecting a squirrel or a chipmunk or something equally inane – but she found a pair of shoes, instead – about ten feet away, the gazebo\'s entrance. As he brain processed what exactly those shoes meant, their owner, spoke, and her eyes jerked upward, to his face.

Her reaction was immediate, because – however reassuring he thought his smile might be – Vivianne was a shy, flighty creature, and his sudden presence alarmed her. Her pale eyes widened – dilating pupils locked on the stranger\'s face – and her nostrils flared, pulling a deep breath into her lungs. Every muscle in her body tensed, prepared for flight –

But he was blocking her exit. With a great deal of effort, Vivianne remained kneeling, though she didn\'t relax even one iota. Slowly, the panicked haze dissipated, and his words connected with her brain. Her nod was slow and cautious; she did not trust her voice.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »
Delson watched her reaction carefully, usually it was only after they found out what he was did people act thus, not before. He wondered how panicked she would get if she were to find out he was a vampire.

"I didn\'t mean to startle you." He said, trying to sound reassuring. "I was just admiring your work. It truly is very nice, I have rarely seen it\'s equal. And even then, in museums surrounded by glass." He smiled again, carefuly not to show his unnaturely long teeth.

He offered his hand to help her up. "My name is Delson, and you are?" He asked, hoping to get her to talk. He wondered briefly why she didn\'t run, and realized he was blocking her exit. He stepped aside, as to allow passage for her to leave, trying to show that he wasn\'t a threat. He made sure that she could run past him without him grabbing her. Though, if he had wanted to, he could easily get her before she even got close to her exit. If he had wanted to.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »
Vivianne didn\'t accept the offered hand, but got up under her own steam, clambering to her feet quickly, with an odd, loose-jointed grace. She eyed him suspiciously, eyes traveling from the outstretched hand to his face, and back again. Compliments made her uncomfortable, but she jerked her head downward sharply; a nod of thanks, though the gesture could be interpreted several different ways. Either way, it dislodged a curtain of blonde hair from behind one ear, effectively concealing one half of her face. She didn\'t move to fix it, but regarded him with one wide blue eye.

"V-v-v-" She paused, took a breath, and tried again, "Vivi." The name was Rook\'s, but she liked it well enough to give it to this man, this stranger – whom she couldn\'t help but think was trying to sweet-talk her. Certainly, the piece was lovely, but it was just chalk on pavement.

She appreciated the fact that he\'d moved out of the doorway, however, and she relaxed slightly, "I, uhm, I-I-I\'ve been w-working on it all day." When addressing strangers, Vivianne had a terrible stutter; but it had gotten better, lately. It would seem that Rook had a calming effect on her. She also noticed that she was not as scared of this man as she normally would be. There was fear, yes, but not the usual mind-numbing terror. Normally, it would be a lot to ask that she even give him her name.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »
As she stood up on her own, Delson shrugged and dropped his hand. He watched her with curiosity as her hair fell in front of her face. He had always found things like that frightfully annoying, and wanted to push it out of the way so he could actually see her when he talked to her, but didn\'t, knowing it would be extremely rude to do so. Hopefully she would move it back behind her ear again, but she didn\'t.

Not letting his slight irritation show, he allowed his smile to fade into a grin. He had noticed that talking to people made it easier for him to get used to his "change", so he didn\'t want to leave, even though she was obviously nervous in his presence.

Slight understatement. He commented silently as he heard her speak for the first time. "All day?" He asked with a slight cock to his eyebrow. He laughed a little as he looked around. "It\'d take me all week to do this." He said to himself. He turned back to her, allowing his curiosity show in his face. "I\'m afraid, I\'m not sure I really get what the picture\'s about." He continued.

He hoped if he could get her to talk that she might relax a little, but if it was sure that she wouldn\'t, or that she wanted him to leave, he would. But, he\'d wait and see until then.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
In many ways, Vivianne was like an animal, and a feral one at that. She shied away from his touch, tensed up at any sudden movements, and seemed altogether flighty.

When he asked about the content of the piece, though, she relaxed some – though was by no means off-edge – and dropped back to her knees, to explain to him. First, she pointed to the tree, "Th-this is the W-w-world Tree. Its branches house Asgard, and V-v-Valhalla, Home of the G-gods and v-v-v-valiant dead. It is Gallows-God Odin one-eye\'s steed." Her long fingers traveled lightly over the drawing, tracing to the roots, even as she rose to move, as if her fingertips were pulling the rest of her, "This is Loki, trickster-G-g-god, imp-prisoned beneath the W-world. The s-snake is his son, the w-w-woman his w-wife. The W-w-w-wolf is Fenrir, Sun-swallower, who w-w-will eat the World at the end of days."

Realizing just how much she\'d just said to this complete stranger, she bit her tongue and set her jaw, standing fully once again. She shrugged; a liquid roll of the shoulders, "It\'s N-n-n-Norse," she summarized, in a small voice. If he\'d wanted her to talk despite herself, he\'d certainly picked the right topic. Vivianne loved her mythology. She also realized that her path had closed the distance between them significantly. She took two hurried steps backward, her bare feet skimming over the drawing.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
Delson listened to what she said with a small smile, though, he did not share her passion with mythology. He rolled his tongue over his unnatural tooth, it had grown to be sort of a habit of late, especially when he was paying attention to something he found interesting.

Delson had never found mythology very interesting growing up, and had never met anyone before who had, at least not that he was aware of, until now. I probably should have, he thought a little bitterly. For I have entered one.

He looked up with a smile, but quickly, though smoothly, shortened it again when he realized his two unnaturally long teeth were showing, hoping she hadn\'t noticed.
"He had a snake-son?" He asked quickly, with a slight raise of his eyebrows. "That\'s... Interesting." He continued with a small laugh. He made sure that he didn\'t sound like he was making fun of her, for he wasn\'t, he actually did find it rather interesting. "You seem to know a lot about mythology." He added quietly after a moment of studying her picture again.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 01:11:44 PM »
"The W-w-w-wolf is his son, too." Somehow, through the stutter, she managed to imply that it was the most obvious thing in the world – it hid the hurt in her voice well. As to the comment on her knowledge she just shrugged, and let her eyes wander back to the floor, "I read," was all she said on the subject, bringing her eyes back to his face. If she stood up straight, Vivianne would be slightly taller than him – but, since she stood with a slight hunch to her thin shoulders – effectively diminished that impressive height – the two were just about equal.

Her eyes – still ringed in their green circles, like a model getting ready for an avante-garde shoot – widened again, and she breathed in sharply, back suddenly straight, when he smiled. So the fangs hadn\'t escaped her notice, then. She knew (and cared to know) of only one species with such a unique dentistry. "You\'re one of them," she said. It would be difficult to tell whether the emphasis put on the last word was meant to be offensive or not – it wasn\'t, but it was skating the edge of neutral, and spoken softly.

And just as she spoke that last word, a prophetic crack of thunder split the stillness, and the sky released it\'s burden in a torrential downpour that created a thunderous, never-ending drum-roll on the roof of the gazebo, keeping the two of them mercifully dry.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
"Either gods often have animal children or he\'s just... Different." Delson said as he raised his eyes at her comment about the wolf being his son as well. He couldn\'t help but wonder how one has animal children. It\'s mythology, it\'s not real. He thought. I\'m mythology! I\'m not real. He countered himself.

He stopped smiling completely as her eyes widened. He wasn\'t really surprised that she noticed, but he was surprised that she didn\'t run away screaming.

He nodded. "Yes, I\'m afraid so. A vampire, or more politely, a Supernatural." He added after a moments pause. "But you have no need to fear me, I don\'t intend to do you harm." He added quickly, knowing how easy to frighten she was. Again he paused before adding; "I just wanted to talk. I don\'t get to talk to..." Another pause as he forced himself to continue. "Humans much anymore."

He might have said more, but the thunder cut him off and the rain poured down. After a second of listening to the rain, he could help but to laugh. "Absolutely perfect timing!" He commented as he slowed down in his laugh. Then the seriousness returned.

"If you wish it, I shall leave." Delson added carefully. Though he didn\'t want to leave her alone for he knew all too well what can happen on in the dead of the night. Especially dark and storming nights. His experience with such being on both the receiving and the giving ends.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »
The thunder had caused her to physically cringe, but the pounding of the rain on the roof seemed to have a more calming effect, because when she straightened, her muscles were visibly more relaxed, though she kept her eyes on his face. She was quiet for a moment, considering his offer.

"I-it\'s alright," she said, finally, with a shrug, letting her eyes wander to the rain outside, "I d-don\'t mind." This wasn\'t entirely true -- he was a stranger, and she disliked talking to strangers, but he could only become less of a stranger (she knew his name already, right? Well, he\'d given it to her, even if she didn\'t remember it) -- she would\'ve minded being in the gazebo alone more.

Plus, he was a Vampire, so she could call Rook to tear him limb from limb if he did anything untoward -- and not feel bad about it.

For a moment, she just stood there awkwardly, looking out at the rain. Watching it, she reached up, grasping the top of one arm with her other hand, in a concession to the cold she felt, and turned her eyes back on her companion, "W-w-would you like to draw something?" she asked, "I m-mean, there\'s not that much floor left, b-b-but the walls are clean." If they were going to be trapped in here, they might as well be doing something. She even offered a flickering, hesitant smile.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »
Delson looked up with a raised eyebrow as she stood taller than he, he wasn\'t really used to that, for five nine isn\'t very short. He couldn\'t help but to smile a little at her unexpected height, she was such a shy "little" person that he didn\'t really expect her to be tall, especially taller than he.

Delson noticed her hesitation and guessed that it probably did bother her, she didn\'t seem to be that comfortable with people, though he was surprised that the fact that he was a vampire didn\'t scare her any more than him just being a stranger had.

"Draw?" He asked in slight surprise. "I must confess, I usually do more sculpting than drawing, and I\'ve never drawn in a gazebo before, but, what harm can it do?" He smiled once more. Hey, tonight might actually turn out to be a good night, he hadn\'t had many of those sense his turning.

He knelt down and picked up a piece of chalk, though he was unsure as to what he was supposed to draw. He hoped that she would fill him in on such things, but before he asked her he had something else he wanted to know.

Leaning back on his heels, so practically his whole bodyweight was upon his toes, he looked up at the young woman and his smile slid away into a light grin. "Though, I am slightly curious." He said after a moments pause. "You seem to know about... Us." He tried to think of a way to voice his curiosity. "Well, to put it bluntly, how is that?" He didn\'t know if she would answer his question or hunch her shoulders again and ask him to leave, but he felt as though he had to ask. For curiosity did kill the cat-Or vampire in this case.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:37:28 AM »
His question had her shrugging again, and aiming her eyes at the floor, "How p-people usually find out about \'em." she said, "G-g-got attacked." Her tone was dispassionate; though remembering the incident caused a shudder to run up her spine.

She shook her head quickly, though -- as if to dislodge a spiderweb -- and moved purposefully over to one of the benches around the inside of the gazebo, where she sat down and drew her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. She could feel the rain as a fine mist of backsplash on her hunched back, but she was tired of sitting on the floor, and this way she\'d be out of his way, too, when he decided where he wanted to unleash his creativity.

The chalk was spread about the floor, but mostly confined to one corner of the gazebo, kitty-corner to the entrance, and on the left side of the bench where Vivianne now perched.

She rested her head on her knees, and regarded him from across the structure, blinking owlishly, "Wh-what do you sculpt?" she asked, seeming genuinely interested -- while at the same time effectively shutting down the previous conversation before it had a chance to begin.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 07:48:05 AM »
Delson had lowered one knee to the floor as she spoke and found himself sliding his tongue over his tooth, he quickly stopped, it wasn\'t a habit he liked. He looked down at the chalk in his hand, though she used an neutral tone, he knew that she probably didn\'t like remembering.

"Sorry." He said quietly, for he really was. He knew only all too well what it was like to be attacked by a Supernatural, he\'d been attacked by several, though the first had been a vampire, werewolves were worse still.

Still unsure as to what to draw, he turned around to look at her, sliding from sitting on his ankle to the ground, this action caused the knee that hadn\'t been resting on the ground to fall down and the knee that had been resting to rise.

"Just ends and odds, something I saw before and decide to see if I can... recreate it." That\'s what he called his sculpting, "recreating", though he knew how stupid it sounded, he still liked it.
He didn\'t try to carry on the other conversation, it couldn\'t have been a nice one. Actually, he felt guilty for having brought it up in the first place, but what was done was done.

Idling doodling on the ground, Delson tried to think of what to say next, after asking an uncomfortable question as he had last time he felt as though he should be careful at what he said. Plus, he hadn\'t really talked with anybody except the werewolf in a long time, even before he had been turned, so he wasn\'t that good with people anymore, if he had ever been.

He decided to stay along the lines of art, she didn\'t seem to mind talking about that; "you ever thought about doing some artwork professionally? This truly is some of the best work I\'ve seen in a while."

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
He was right about one thing: Vivianne didn\'t mind talking about art. Other people\'s art. Her own art, however...Well, the shudder that ran through her at the mention of becoming a professional artist might clue him in on how she felt about that. "I already have a p-p-profession." Technically, she was an artist – just a different kind. And her profession wasn\'t really a profession so much as a way of life – but all that was immaterial. Her job was a profession, and it was more than that, "And I don\'t like strange p-people," she added, as if that fact weren\'t altogether too apparent, "Artists have to deal with strange p-people. All alone. All the time."

All the while, she\'d kept her eyes on this stranger as he doodled at the edge of her piece, "So you j-just sculpt what you see? From memory? I w-wish I could do that." She laughed; a rather nervous sound, with a character that said it had the potential to be beautiful;much the same as her speaking voice, now that the stutter was fading away, "What do you use? J-just clay?" she didn\'t know much about sculpting, but she knew that some people preferred to use more unconventional materials.