Author Topic: Burning Bright  (Read 28658 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Burning Bright
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
continued from here

The snow was coming down quicker now, with larger flakes that looked more like pieces of cloud then snow. Despite the slick roads, Pierre maintained the same speed -- which was still too fast for her to sit comfortably. Storm could almost feel them slipping on the ice, getting into a car accident, or something else that would leave him unscathed and her safety compromised. Not to mention, a very angry and concerned someone back at the apartment. Yet despite the speed of the vehicle, it seemed to take them forever to reach their destination, the silence drawing it out more along with the steady \'open, close, open, close\' of her cell phone. She stole a few secret glances at vampire along the way, even though he wasn\'t the only thing on her mind that night--for once. Even if he was...well... Pierre.

After what seemed like forever, the car stopped neatly and without accident in front of the Capital Building. A sigh of relief escaped her lips and Storm turned to smile at Pierre before stepping out of the car. No, she wasn\'t in any kind of rush to get back inside. Not even as she slipped on the pavement in her mad rush to the doors. No, she wasn\'t in a rush at all. It was the shower. The snow accumulating in her hair was making her cold, never mind the soaked clothing. Even the lobby of the Capital Building couldn\'t defrost the snow in her hair. Then again, she could have been walking to the elevator too fast for the warmth to reach her.

The ride in the elevator was even more painful then the car ride, her anxiety like some sort of electricity and her close proximity to Pierre not even crossing her mind. She didn\'t even know what exactly was on her mind anymore. But the elevator doors were opening soon enough, and she stepped through before they had even fully opened, as if she was afraid that they would close on her before she got the chance to exit. And it was here that she forced herself to slow down, reluctant to look so desperate in front of splendid company. From Pierre\'s perspective, it must have seemed like she was dying to get away from him. Which was most certainly not the case.

There were still snowflakes in the girl\'s hair as she reached the door to Damien\'s apartment. Her cheeks were still bright red and that same smile was still on her face. Storm turned to face Pierre again, brilliant blue eyes shining with appreciation. "Thanks. This was the most fun I\'ve had in awhile." she gave him another quick, friendly hug before pulling away.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Burning Bright
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »
Incessant ticking. His eyes followed the tiniest hand around the white face on the wall for the billionth time. He said 3:36. The ticking hand told the vampire 3:34:49. They weren\'t even in the building yet, the two familiar auras unmingled with the auras of the tenants of the building. 3:35:15.

Calm the fuck down, he thought, avoiding the clock again. God. What the hell is wrong with me? Worry kept swallowing him. Guilt over keeping her in the apartment so long pushed and Damien just felt like a complete mess. Tensely, he sat on the loveseat listening to the ticking of the clock in the kitchen where Storm\'s drawings renewed themselves every so often. He could relax his body, but not his thoughts.

Not until the ding of the elevator sounded did he fly into action, pressing the button on the television to make it appear as if he were actually doing something of value. Damien straightened out his clothes and reached the handle at 3:36:33.

He pulled it open just in time to see the two separate and Pierre\'s eyes land on his. Damien cast his fledgling a look quicker than Storm could have ever seen with a fake expression on his face. "Tu es en retard, Jean-Luc." The elder vampire had his back to the entering pair as his face flooded with an unexplained, but brief anger. "By all means, come in." And he returned to his seat on the loveseat, supressing his burst of mixed emotions at seeing the expression in the girl\'s eyes. "So how did it go? Pierre, tu reste?"

"Ouais, mais er..." and he threw a glance over at Storm and grinned. "Je sortirai bientôt, my lord."

"Pierre," Damien said warningly, eyeing down the younger vampire as he glistened with water droplets. Ace was fearful of any glance he might give to Storm with him in the room so his eyes remained calmly on his, waiting for some kind of response. "L\'arrete."

"Ouais, je sais, je sais. Donc! I guess I\'ll catch up with you guys later then, huh? I gotta go back out and see what certain friends are up to. Keep an eye on Nikolai, of course. Bonne soirée, Monsieur et... mademoiselle."

"Pierre!" But the vampire had given Storm a hug and taken his leave before Damien could grab something to throw at him. Too bad it was impossible to hate his fledgling. Damien sighed and turned his guarded attention towards Storm, keeping his face still as thoughts rushed around.

"So," he said finally, tenting his fingers as he sat, a feeling of awkwardness filling the air between them. "How was your night?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
The opening door startled her, causing the girl to back up quicker then would have been expected. And that of course made her look moderately suspicious even if she wasn\'t doing anything wrong. Her face even looked guilty, blushing crimson as if she had been caught in the act of something more serious. To say she was surprised with the feelings Damien was emitting could have been an understatement. And it was perplexing how he struggled to hide it. Something like chaos in a bottle, but she didn\'t push to figure him out. Besides, she didn\'t want to ruin her mood with making him angry.

The French that went back and fourth was something that she should have been used to by now. But it still had that same effect on her as it had the first time she heard Pierre speak it. Her eyes flickered between the two men, watching their mouths move more then anything, and simply enjoying the luxurious sound flow into her ears. The Akari was dying to know what they were saying, whether or not Damien was angry with her already. She had only just stepped in the door, for god\'s sake!

Again, another wave of crimson at Pierre\'s goodbye, and she shifted her gaze to the floor. The door clicked shut and Storm was still blushing, smiling, and finding the blank wall of the living room far more interesting then \'facing the music\'. Not that he was really questioning her that much. There was a long pause before she looked up at Damien, an almost painful expression on her face as she struggled against her flustered embarrassment.

"It was a lot of fun." Storm said simply, shifting her eyes again as she lowered herself onto the couch across from him.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »
He swallowed behind a masked exterior. He was getting more and more frustrated with himself as the moments progressed. Too many thoughts, too many opinions revolving back and forth, making him angrier and angrier. The vampire sighed again, trying to hide the frustration. There had to be something wrong with him. There had to be. No normal person would entertain thoughts that he had been having lately.

It had been about four months since they had first met that rainy day in the fall upon on the cliffs. Four months of ever-changing thoughts. Four months of lingering memories blending with the problems of new existences. Four months of adjusting to what it was like to live with another person, another woman, again. So it was a constant thing for Damien to ignore the constant thoughts of the differences and similarities between one woman and the other.

It was becoming easier for Damien to accept Storm as "part of the family". They could speak now, maintain a distance and still laugh at each other. And as pleasant of a thought as it was, there was still something in him that wanted the past. The closeness and intamacy of having a wife and confidante. He even feared that there would always be a side to him that held blindly onto Isabella that he ignored anything else.

The vampire watched her, the expression in his eyes thoughtful now and relieved. "Is he as big of a jerk to you as he is to me?" A strained smile. "So, what did you do? Anything noteable?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
The snowflakes had defrosted by now, and the girl shivered, settling into the chair while rubbing her arms for warmth. Her hair was only beginning to dry, stringy and messy. But she felt comfortable around him to not care so much. Besides, it\'s not like he really cared, right?

"He drives a little fast. But he was a perfect gentleman." Relaxing, she managed to meet his eyes again with a real smile on her face again. "I don\'t give him any reason to be a jerk to me. Maybe you should be a little less or a prick and maybe people will be a little nicer to you." Sarcasm, she loved it. But the Akari changed the subject quickly, not really allowing him to respond.

"He took me to Risk, but I\'m sure you knew that." Storm scowled, her cheeks flooding crimson again as the memories of the night began to solidify. "We danced...." she trailed off, eyes shifting to a spot on the wall. Yes, she actually danced, and with Pierre no less. Handsome, strong, blond, French, Pierre. What a night. She didn\'t speak for a moment, struggling to quell the fire that had resurfaced in her face.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »
Before he realized his body was tense again, something about what she said triggering a nerve in his mind. Go rigid, it said without his knowledge. And Damien didn\'t like that feeling.

The vampire smirked, rolling is eyes in an attempt at recovery. "I had no idea of his intentions." Of course Damien was the one that set it all up, purposely taking himself out of the equation for some futile R&R. "I expected you to be safe nonetheless. You know I trust any decision of Pierre\'s so neither of us should have worried.

"And I\'ll trust by the fact that you\'ve no marks on your neck that he was a complete gentleman in keeping you away from the creeps at Risk?" His smile was tight but pleasant nonetheless. Damien stood and stretched making it seem as if he were actually sitting on his rear the entire time she was gone instead of pacing and watching the cars below the Capital Building.

"But what I want to know is what exactly made you want to come back here for the night. I mean I\'m sure you know that the sun\'s not to rise for a few hours yet. Why return so early?" And for whatever reason, Damien paid close attention to the answer, a reaction that he found ludicrous and unfounded.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »
Storm was speechless for a moment, faced with the question she had been trying to answer herself ever since she had told Pierre to take her back. Well, since she even had the desire to come back, really. It was because snowball fights reminded her of pillow fights and she wasn\'t really having that much fun without... No. That\'s not why. She was missing the shower. She was wet and cold. Besides, clubs weren\'t her thing anyway. For inexplicable reasons, or perhaps reasons that she didn\'t necessarily want to acknowledge, she blushed again and could not meet his eyes.

"Clubbing isn\'t my thing." the answer was too quick, forced really. "And I wanted to take a shower." Nothing really about either answer was true, but the fact that she didn\'t have an excuse made her feel uncomfortable. The reason for coming back wasn\'t because she missed Damien\'s company. Of course not. Why would it be? She didn\'t miss the sarcastic back-and-fourth battles the two shared, his awkward smile and laugh. No. She just wanted to take a shower.

"Why, do you want me to leave?" the girl\'s eyes flickered back up to meet his, the same sparkle still behind her playful gaze.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 02:09:30 PM »
"Oh, absolutely," he gested back, a crooked smile appearing briefly. It\'s not like I was worried about your safety the entire time or anything. Damien rolled his eyes at her yet again. "And this shower thing is costing me money, you know? So just take your personal hygene and get out as soon as you can." His smile was evident even through his sarcasm.

Her reactions, every one of them, were caught by Damien. And he didn\'t understand many of them. Not her avoidance of his gaze nor her panicked scrambling. It made him gaze at her more than was probably nessecary, something she must have gotten used to by now.

"So are you going to try to sleep tonight or is it still not worth it? You haven\'t slept in a few days. I\'m beginning to think you\'re a complete insomniac." There was still gest to his conversation, though it was a legitamate curiousity of his to see when the non-sleeping mortal would finally settle down for the entire ... well for a few hours.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 03:29:12 AM »
"Oh please, you\'re lucky I hardly eat anything or you might have to downgrade your apartment to something more affordable." another smile. Twenty minute showers were hardly anything to complain about. Storm stood anyway, flexing her shoulders to relieve some of the constant ache that her wings caused. And that soreness was one of the only reasons that she took long showers, but she didn\'t feel like explaining that to him.

The comment about her sleep, however, rubbed her the wrong way. Sleep wasn\'t anything she felt like thinking about, especially not lately. Did he even realize, by now, how much she hated sleeping? Her dream pattern had fallen back onto memories as opposed to the usual Laurent-induced torture. Storm wasn\'t really sure if she knew which one was worse. Either way, she wasn\'t planning on sleeping any time soon. She made a significant effort to dissolve her tension before answering the vampire.

"I don\'t plan on sleeping. I can go longer without sleep the more I take trips to the forest." she tried to make her face look a little less bothered as she smiled at him. "I would go without sleep forever if I could, but I can\'t. So I\'ll pass out eventually and be out of your way soon, don\'t worry." the smile came easier for her, and she made a move toward the bathroom.

"I promise I\'ll take no longer then twenty minutes, since you\'re so concerned about the water bill." effortlessly Storm drew a comfortably change of clothing, similar to pajamas (not that she was going to sleep) from their hiding places with her mind, catching it all in one arm before opening and closing the bathroom door behind her.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 08:36:27 AM »
"Maybe I should ship you out into the woods more often then, huh?" His comment slipped through the door just as she was about to close it behind her. Damien stood in his bedroom with his eyes lingering on the door for a few long moments until he heard her prepare her shower and step in. The vampire returned to his spot at the window, pulling aside the duct tape he would have to replace sooner or later to look out upon the road again.

Fewer cars this time, same smokey street lights with snow fluttering around in the sky. The glass was cold when his hand rose to touch it lightly water hitting a body filled his ears before her realized it. Damien left the room, grabbing duct tape from the kitchen where frightening images of a tortured life lingered in graphic. He replaced the tape to the sound of water running down flesh. Damien grit his teeth, ripping the tape quickly and easily while wishing he had another, separate bathroom and bedroom for his tenant.

It was odd for him to realize that the girl was actually living with him. How many nights had he stalked out of his own apartment without an excuse for her in order to rid himself of the Thirst for her blood. He had lost count. Another piece of tape. Rolled and stuck. These weren\'t thoughts he wanted to think about. Not the Thirst. Not the pain of distance from his former. Not the sound of water on her body.

Last piece. Ripped. Rolled. Stuck. He was out of that room before her hand even reached the lever to turn the faucet off. His room.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 09:01:53 AM »
It was ironic, really, that the shower lent the only real peace that the girl could get in this apartment. It was the only place where she could be alone, the only place she could quietly think. And even though she was relaxed, and in a good mood, Storm payed careful attention not to sing, as she had that first night. Singing was something she reserved for when she was absolutely sure that Damien wasn\'t around. Which was a rarity, and that used to bother her so much.

What a night. While Pierre was something unattainably attractive to her, it was difficult for Storm to relax enough around him to really be herself. At least, not without thinking of Damien. Really, she almost ached to be away from him, feeling too suffocated in the apartment and her "call for duty". But the whole Isabella thing didn\'t hold as much dread as it once did, just a dull sense of obligation. The slap on the wrist. The reminder not to get too comfortable. But this silent reprimand seemed to fade, for whatever reason, over time. It could be worse, but it could be better too. For now it was alright, regardless of how many questions tonight brought about. Why was he so angry? There was something flowing from Damien when she hugged Pierre, she could feel it. At least, she thought she did. Then again, she could have been imagining things. Yes, that\'s what it must have been.

What was once something of a luxury was now more routine, and the Akari was beginning to take hot water for granted. The only ill effects of this was her slowly declining ability to truly unwind. Hot water used to have drug-like effects on her, but not so much anymore. But that wasn\'t to say that she couldn\'t enjoy it. Twenty minutes of meditation was better then none. Sweet smelling soap--her own soap--mingled with the thick steam that filled the bathroom. Inhale. Exhale. Lather. Inhale. Exhale. Rinse.

Twenty minutes was up before she realized it, and Storm stepped from the shower with her pale skin glistening with water. She had taken extreme care, this time, in remembering to bring a towel, as she always had since that first night. The less awkward situations, the better. As she wiped the moisture from her body, the girl examined her face in the mirror. The dark circles that had adorned her face a few months ago had faded enough to make her look like she had actually slept. And all of the smiling had done her good, lightened up the darkness that typically hung around her like a wary shadow.

Mechanically, she pulled on her clothing, dark shorts and a baggy t-shirt. And of course, she couldn\'t leave the bathroom without drawing on the mirror (it was a habit by now, that one-winged heart). With her dirty clothes balled up and in one arm, Storm opened the door and stepped out of the bathroom, shaking her hand through her hair to dry it out a little. Everything seemed so routine, but she couldn\'t possibly feel more out of place sometimes. Maybe it was how temporary the \'living\' arrangement was. Did he really expect to keep her here, with him? Living between the couch and the kitchen? When was she going back? Back to where? Did she even want to go back anymore?

All of this plagued her mildly as she walked slowly to the kitchen, picking up a notebook that was only half-full with her sketches before sitting down at the table. Really, Storm wasn\'t in much of a mood to draw.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »
Damien couldn\'t help but watch her, trying to read her mood. The soap was too distracting. He couldn\'t understand why he had bought her such strong soap, flowery and quite becoming for her natural scent. At the present moment, with her skin still damp and her mood seemingly contented, the scent radiating from her part of the apartment was obnoxious for him.

In an even voice he asked his question after a long moment or so. "What are you thinking about?" It was a game the two of them had developed unknowingly. They would go back and forth sometimes asking the question and the other would tell. Sometimes it worked. Most of the time it didn\'t, both of them too private in order to share much of themselves with the other.

He noticed her eyes flash up and he didn\'t bother to hide his expression. His nose remained slightly wrinkled and his eyes bore into her with the full force of age. There was no reason to keep his age sacred from her any longer, nor was there a need to play human. His body was rigid by nature and his features resting immortally upon her. Ace never moved unless he had to, so only his eyes showed the life still lingering in his corpse.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 12:28:13 PM »
Storm sighed audibly, flipping slowly though her sketches but not really looking at them. Running her fingers through her hair, she turned around to directly face him, her expression hiding nothing from him because it wasn\'t really necessary. The Akari met his eyes easily, never intimidated by their chill nor age. Not anymore anyway. He couldn\'t scare her even if he tried.

"Why, what are you thinking about?" it was her usual response. But tonight she wasn\'t sure if she was going to tell him what she was dwelling on. Not that she enjoyed staying her. Not that she was expecting him to make her leave. Not that she found it harder to go a night without thinking about him and she didn\'t know why. But she knew that he wouldn\'t be content with the same-old-comeback. So she sighed and spoke again.

"Did you tell him to take me to the woods?" she asked, a jokingly accusing tone in her voice. But her eyes told otherwise, holding something more of a fierce appreciation. Really, it was probably the sweetest thing done for her that night. Only Damien could have known how much she really missed that place. Pierre seemed like he just wanted a night on the town, and that wasn\'t really her sort of thing.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »
He kept his composure, only the mouth moving on his calmed face. "Of course not." By now she was used to his lying and he was expecting her to see through it somewhat, but still wonder if it had been all his doing. "He chose to himself. He\'s a good watcher of people, and knows how to make them happy." Damien smiled, his stony face moving in order to accomadate the new resident. But instead of leaving things how they were, he decided to even give her an extra response today.

"That soap is... noxious for me. It\'s killing me. Any immortal will smell you from miles away and wonder where flowers could possibly live in this city. Not to mention if I have to go out with you, ugh! The horror!" His lips were turned up in a smile as he waited for her reaction, expecting a pen thrown at his face or to be smothered with the television remote or something to that effect.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »
So he did plan the whole thing, It was obvious he was lying, there was something in his eyes that she had learned to recognize. That and Storm wasn\'t an idiot. If Pierre had been so good at figuring out what people liked, he wouldn\'t have taken her to Risk. But she couldn\'t even voice this because Damien kept talking. Something about her soap being too flowery.

Storm exaggerated her offended expression, eyes shifting easily back into a blue hue. "I can\'t believe you would say such a thing! Besides, you\'re the one who picked this one out. It isn\'t my fault you can\'t figure out what scent I like." She grinned, turning around briefly to grab her notebook and pen, and turned back to face the vampire. "At least I bathe," she murmured under her breath, touching the pen to her paper.

The Akari began to draw, not glancing up. The sketch was quick, something that resembled a portrait of...well...Pierre. Not that she intended for it to turn out quite that way. Usually she didn\'t even plan out what to draw, it just happened.