Author Topic: The Mountain and Mohammed  (Read 20855 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: The Mountain and Mohammed
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »
"I... he... perhaps," Kerr agreed reluctantly, his attention torn between the two vampires.  Hearing Jack speak reassured him that he was stable enough to stand alone now and so he released him in order to follow Digital into his room, closing the distance between them in three strides of his long legs.  His mind, as usual, was whirring, though he spared an indulgent smile for Digital at the sanely-stated thanks.

"You\'re very welcome," he said warmly, turning his attention back to whose eyes he could possibly be.  In a sense, he thought he was Jack\'s eyes to a new world, but he believed that digital might just be being a bit more literal.  "The king... do you mean Lazarus?  Is there a threat to him?"  He wasn\'t sure he was worried about a personal threat to the Luminary and would gladly keep such blinkers on (though who was to say that he could ever struggle them off, anyway?  They would likely not come off until the time was right, regardless, but he could try).  If the threat was to the Oligarchy itself, however... well, that worried him a great deal more.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2008, 07:51:36 AM »
Digital stared an empty stare at Kerr and said blandly: "There are many kings."

It took him the better part of a moment before he turned his attention away, his gaze now caught by Not-Ben, who was standing on his own two feet.

"It will be even more confusing, after the ritual.  You have to be quick and snatch Ben away before he sinks too far."  Digital made gestures of grabbing from the floor and pulling up, hugging his chest afterward.  "Sinking, he\'s sunk right now, inside him, but he can hear us, oh yes."  Digital grinned then approached Jack before shouting at him.  "HELLO BEN!"
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »
Jack held his ground but narrowed his eyes when the madman approached, unsure what the other was planning and if he liked the messages the other had to give.  When he was yelled at, he flinched and took a couple of steps back until his backside hit the wall beside the door.  What the hell?

"He can\'t hear you," Jack spat at him, but now he wasn\'t so sure.  He looked at Kerr for help, his eyes pleading with him to remove the other vampire from his position directly in front of him.  If Kerr didn\'t move him soon enough for his liking, he would shove the other away.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
For a moment, Kerr was rooted to the spot, watching the scene play out like a melodrama on stage; the happy, bellowing madman, the surly, cowering imposter at loggerheads with one another and adding a little more spice to an already entangled plotline - but enlightening him, the audience, too.  For he\'d only hypothesised that Ben would hear him, had not had it confirmed until that uplifting moment when mortal women would gasp and average men might raise their eyebrows, understanding how this had progressed the plot once more.

Then he snapped out of his surreal little reverie and bounded forward, seeing the tension on Jack\'s face, feeling his coiled antagonism and wanting to save Digital that retaliation.  He wrapped firm arms about the youngling\'s shoulders and attempted to steer him around, away, anywhere but facing Not-Ben.  He opened his mouth to speak as he guided the other a few steps in another direction, but was at a loss as to what to say.  The statement that Ben could hear them... it had renewed the flame of hope burning deep within Kerr.

He didn\'t want to question that; he didn\'t want Digital to correct himself and say it wasn\'t true.  He needed to believe that Ben was still inside his own body, his own mind, even if he was muffled and partitioned from reality.

The problem with renewing his faith was that Kerr was suddenly experiencing surges of affection all over the place, unspent love that he was bottling up in order to lavish his love with it, but it still had nowhere to go.  For the time being, he was focussed on Digital, loving him for reassuring him that Ben was still able to hear them.  Logically, Ben should also still be able to feel him, and he would bank on exactly that when he bedded Jack in a few nights\' time; this gift that the Malkavian had inadvertently given him was the most potent one so far and he smiled, despite his odd silence.

Apparently, that expression was enough to finally kick his brain out of the rut of thinking about Ben hearing and feeling him, to finally saying something.  "Don\'t yell at Jack," he chastised gently, sounding like the most ineffectual parent disciplinarian in the world, "he doesn\'t like it.  Tell me more about what else I should do at the ritual," he entreated, attempting to divert Digital\'s voices onto a more useful course - not that such a thing had ever worked before, of course, but it was something to say.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2008, 04:40:51 PM »
When he was bodily moved away from Not-Ben by Kerr, Digital giggled uncontrollably as though the wrestling was tickling him.  He awkwardly walked with Kerr before his mouth hung open while he listened to Kerr\'s good natured objection.  He shut it with a snap and listened as his voices began whispering to each other at Kerr\'s questions.  This time, they were listening, wanting to provide an answer.  Maybe the voices really were him.

"Don\'t wait," he said back with a whisper, though knew Jack could hear him anyway.  "Don\'t wait for him.  Once you have Ben, don\'t wait."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
Jack was still standing against the wall and watching with a glare as Digital was forced away by Kerr, albeit gently.  He kept his gaze on the pair, noticing with another flare of rising jealousy that Kerr was on very intimate terms with this strangely-addled beast.  The resentment in him grew when Digital warned Kerr not to stay for him once the ritual was performed.  To object to such a thing was to cut off his nose to spite his face, but still he objected, if only to voice his protest at everything in general.

"It\'s up to Kerr if he waits for me or not," he said, almost sneering.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 12:44:18 AM »
Kerr spared Jack a glance that was - unfortunately - more of a frown of annoyance than an acknowledgment that he was listening to his objections, but it wasn\'t an intentional expression; it just happened because he was thinking about what Digital had said but had instinctively looked over when he heard Ben\'s voice.  It was not something he believed he\'d ever be able to consciously change, Ben\'s tones were his siren song.

"You mean... just leave Jack in the desert?  Alone?  Why would I do that?  What will happen if I wait?" he asked Digital earnestly, his volume also automatically mimicking that of the man in his arms (even though it was futile - the quieter they talked, the harder Jack listened).  "What happens if I don\'t wait, what good does that do Ben?"

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2008, 08:38:52 AM »
Digital had nothing more to say.  The questions Kerr asked were not answered by his voices, which had resumed talking about the piper of Hamlin and the cats that would follow.  He was in his right mind enough to not start blurting about such things on the heels of Kerr\'s questions however, knowing instinctively that this would only disappoint and frustrate Kerr further.  If he opened his mouth, he would speak only what the voices would let him - so he kept his mouth shut and hoped Kerr would forgive his silence.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
The questions bothered him and he figured the answers would bother him more, but Jack found himself waiting much longer than he anticipated before he gave up.

He said nothing also, wanting to go home now, with Kerr.  He didn\'t like the way this had gone and was debating whether coming was better after all or if he\'d have been happier sitting in the car.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Kerr was savvy enough to recognise that Digital\'s information on this particular topic had run out - it had happened before, after all, though the disappointment never seemed to lessen (nor the frustration of feeling like he had only part of the story) - so he gave a wry smile and a little laugh.

"Alright then," he dismissed his line of questioning, deciding (especially after he glanced in Jack\'s direction once more) that now was as good a time as any to head home. Firstly, he had to make sure Digital was given the address of the building he\'d purchased (he somehow resisted the urge to again warn the Malkavian to contain the fire) and knew exactly how to find it, whether that involved writing it down for him, drawing a mud map or both. By the time he left there, he was certain that Digital knew exactly which building he was to burn down.

Once that was assured, Kerr gave the youngster another fond hug - this time with a polite kiss on the cheek - and thanked him earnestly before heading towards the door. Jack preceded him, which wasn\'t a surprise, and gave only a cursory farewell to their host but Kerr didn\'t say anything about it, understanding that awkwardness was only natural, considering the information Digital had just given out. Kerr kept it at the fore of his mind as best he could, until he was able to write it all down for later consideration (and for consideration by Sabrina).

(continued in \'Portent\')