Author Topic: The spark of Interest  (Read 6886 times)

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: The spark of Interest
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »
Zach cocked an eyebrow and glanced sideways at Jake.

“My father died. I inherited it,” Zach said, letting Jake take from that what he would. “And I’m not that young. Of course, I must seem like a child compared to one of your kind, but I’m not,” he added in a firm voice. He had been mature since a young age, a good businessman, better than his father had been. And he was much better with people than the old man had ever been. And for fuck’s sake, he wasn’t a kid by any means. Even his age, for a human. It wasn’t like he was a young adult any more. He stopped himself from pointing out that he had greatly expanded his estate since taking control of it, acquiring new hotels and making business deals to improve the status of his empire. As easy as it would be to boast, Zach kept silent on that mark, knowing it was not an attractive trait to many people.

And he wasn’t trying to make a business deal, he was making a new contact, Zach had to remind himself of that, and he quickly told himself to stop being so snippy. Just because Jake was insulting him by implying he couldn’t have control of the Warwick through his own means and calling him a child, didn’t mean Zach had to react to it. Perhaps that was just what the vampire wanted.

“And he died of heart failure, so I wasn’t accused of anything,” Zach said, changing his tone of voice to a lighter one to match Jake’s and shooting a grin the vampire’s way.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
Finally the kid seemed to let loose. His grin made Jake laugh a little. This kid was funny. Jake thought of the impending battles ahead and decided tonight was his night to let these things go. Jake took a leaf from the book of Scarlett O\'Hara. I\'ll think about that tomorrow.

"So what are you like 25-26? I was 18 when I was turned so I look like a kid no matter where I go. Also, just out of curiosity how do you know Kerr Galvin. I just met him tonight."

Kerr seemed to respect the masquerade so it seemed odd he\'d tell a human. Still Jake had relieved himself quickly so who was he to judge. Maybe, this kine was special. No matter the reason Jake was glad he was in Zach\'s company.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »
“Twenty seven, twenty eight in a few months. But I suppose I should be flattered by your guesses,” Zach said, watching Jake with interest as the vampire spoke about being turned when he was young. Zach had never wanted to become a vampire, the idea had simply never appealed - drinking blood to stay alive? Never seeing the sun? It would be so frustrating, not be able to do anything whenever you wanted. And to be turned when you were only eighteen? Zach had only just figured out how to be a man properly by that age, let alone being flung into a completely different life style. But he was curious - he’d never really spoke to vampires about themselves in depth. It was business for him, not something he found out about for interest.

Zach was tempted to say something clichéd like ‘I make it my business to know people’ in response to Jake‘s question about Kerr, but that sounded awful in his head and wasn’t really true. Well, he had tried to meet Kerr before, but it hadn’t worked out and their actual meeting had just been chance. But it hadn’t been Kerr who had told him about vampires.

“I ran into him one time and we’ve met up since then. But I knew who he was before then. Like I said, my hotel caters to your kind as well as humans, I know about the council, the rules, a lot of it,” he explained. Of course, he was well aware that there were large gaps in his knowledge, but he was always willing to learn more and he didn’t like to admit when he didn’t know something. But at the same time, he knew he would have to ask to find out.

“I know I probably shouldn’t ask, and feel free to tell me where to go shove it, but how old are you now?” he asked with interest as they drew closer to the Warwick.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:07 AM »
Jake watched the human as they walked. Was that sympathy on his face? It seemed finding out Jake was 18 when he\'d been turned had sparked some emotion in the stoic man. Jake had learned that this kine could feel. Of course since Jake had stoped reading Zach\'s mind he couldn\'t be sure of anything, but he liked to hope he was making a conection. For so long Jake had been devoid of human contact.

The question regarding his actual age had suprised Jake to say the least. It was a common question but Jake suposed this showed how long it had been since he had conversation with a human. Still he decided to answer truthfully.

"I\'m 270. I\'m not as old as a lot of Kindred in the city but I\'ve seen a lot. I don\'t think about it much but there are times I\'d love to be 27 again. I envy humans sometimes, the simplicity of it all. Then again I\'m imortal, have the abilty to control minds and bend mortals to my will. I guess its a trade off."

The fact that he\'d just reduced his 270 years of life into a few quick words was slightly amusing. He looked at Zach and shot him a grin.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 02:53:32 AM »
It wasn’t curiosity Zach had on his face, it was simple interest. He wasn’t going to pity a vampire, he wasn’t that stupid. Maybe it wouldn’t be his choice of lifestyle, but he had no idea how Jake felt about it so he wasn’t going to assume the worst. He didn’t let himself make connections with people, not emotional ones. You never knew when you were going to have to stab someone in the back to get what you wanted and that was easier if you didn’t feel for them.

“Yes, I imagine that would be helpful, having that control. And being immortal you have all the time you want to all do all you desire,” he said with a small shrug, not thinking about the fact that his comments might indicate a desire to become one of them and then they reached hotel so he didn’t give it any more thought.

The doorman, dressed in a small black suit with a green shirt opened the door for them and Zach gave him a short nod as he gestured for Jake to enter first and then he followed close behind. It was late, the lobby was almost empty apart from a tidily dress receptionist. The humans were mostly sleeping and he guessed most of the vampires would be out enjoying the city’s nightlife.

“Would you like to go to the bar? Or I can have drinks brought to us in my room if you would like to go somewhere more comfortable?” Zach offered. Jake seemed to have quite a loose tongue for someone who seemed to fight so much danger and Zach didn’t want people to relate that to him, so it would be better to go somewhere more private. And there was no harm in settling down on a sofa rather than sitting up in the bar, even though those seats were comfortable too.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 03:20:08 AM »
The Warwick was impressive. Jake looked around the lobby with a look of appreciation. The marble floors shined brightly and the neat little reception desk seemed almost cute in the much larger hall. Jake was so preoccupied by taking in the hotel he almost missed Zach\'s question. Jake broke his Zen state and turned to face an awaiting Zach.

"Let\'s go up to your room. I would prefer the privacy."

Jake really wanted to just get Zach alone and relaxed. Although he\'d loosened up since their encounter with the demon Zach still seemed to Jake on guard. Also Jake was carrying a blade and didn’t think it would be good for Zach’s business if the humans saw a shining Katana. He looked briefly into the marble floor to check his appearance. Thank God that only Lasombras lost their reflection due to the curse of Vampirism. If Jake couldn\'t be vain his life would be so much harder. He turned back to the attractive and intelligent human before him.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 03:41:54 AM »
“Very well. This way,” Zach said, gesturing for Jake to follow him. He headed towards the reception and with a few words arranged for dinks to be sent up for them and then he moved towards the lifts. Zach quickly swiped a key card to call the lift which was not accessible without it for the safety of the customers and didn’t bother trying to make small talk as they waited, although he would have responded to any questions Jake might have had, but within a few seconds they were into the lift and on the way to his suite.

Continued in Tending a Spark