Author Topic: Fitting  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Fitting
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »
Kerr glanced in his rear-view mirror as a horn blared behind him and he saw a car objecting to the fact that another had switched lanes directly in front of them.  Fair enough.  He looked back at the road ahead of him, piloting his luxurious sedan sedately and sensibly through hypersensitive city traffic, away from his penthouse in the Capital Building and towards the south, nearer the suburbs than he\'d been in a long time.

He\'d decided to dress down to visit Jake tonight, figuring that not only might he need to wear different and varied \'gear\' - and he didn\'t want to risk a suit - but that he was now meeting Jake as an equal (inferior, really, considering he had no idea what the fuck he was doing contemplating fighting!).

Comfortably faded blue jeans without a belt, sneakers and a black T-shirt with an image from Cirque du Soleil\'s Dralion on the front (tucked in, of course) seemed appropriate attire.  He was not long awake, freshly showered and smelling good - though the only bit of extra effort he\'d gone to had been to connect a leather necklace around his muscular neck, the silver arrowhead dangling from it and resting on his chest glinting when he moved.  He\'d contemplated wearing a longer shirt, for the bottoms of his Celtic tattoos were visible between his biceps and elbows, but he didn\'t believe Jake would care.

He\'d just glanced at the GPS mounted on the dashboard of his car (even though it was nattering at him, since he\'d punched in Jake\'s address) when there was a thump ahead of him that had him instinctively slamming on the brakes and looking up.  A flash of orange was all he caught in that instant between when adrenalin peaks and confusion clears, the sound of screeching tyres and angry car horns surrounding him as he stared at the person at the bonnet of his car, wide-eyed and barely comprehending what he was seeing.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:13:04 AM »
The visions hounding him were strikingly beautiful. The flames had been licking around the edge of his consciousness for weeks now, until finally, he\'d been given a clue. Bathed in the orange glow behind him, wearing it like a halo, was Kerr.

He knew Kerr, knew where to find him, but setting out for the vampire\'s apartment had him ending up in a different direction. Running through traffic and dodging cars which honked angrily at him, he caught up to the classic sedan which held Kerr within. The voices had been screeching in his head.

Hurry hurry stop him get him you\'ll be invited the flames the fire is for you from you hurry hurry they need you they\'ll want you they\'ll like you

Being liked was very high on Digital\'s priority of friend making, and so he ran at Kerr\'s car, from the side, and leapt. He\'d meant to land on his feet, but he hadn\'t launched himself properly for that, so he ended up on his stomach upon the bonnet of Kerr\'s car, feeling like Spiderman with his legs bent and his hands clutching whatever he could clutch - one held the edge of the car while the other held a wiper. His boots left scratches he wasn\'t aware of while he scrabbled to not slide off when Kerr finished braking.

"Take me with you!" he yelled through the windscreen at a very surprised looking Kerr, turning over and sitting up, scooching forward on his bottom so he could face Kerr directly through the front. Cars began to drive around them while Digital pressed a finger to the glass in front of the other vampire and drew a happy face for his benefit.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
Kerr blinked, open-mouthed and gaping at Digital\'s wild display.  Then he shook himself slightly (his head, literally) and nodded.  "Get in!" he called pointing at the passenger seat beside him for his attacker\'s benefit, marvelling at the smiley face he\'d just drawn on the windscreen.  Directly in front of where he looked out, but oh well.  What was there to be done about Digital?

He watched the orange-suited figure scramble off his bonnet, looking for all the world like all his Christmases (and maybe a few Easters, for that matter) had come at once, bouncing into the nominated seat in next to no time.  Kerr concentrated on restarting the car slowly, now needing to inch his way forward since angry followers were pulling sharply out from behind him and jagging back in front to demonstrate their ire at its fullest.

Once they were back in proper motion, doing the speed limit and pulling away from the snarl they\'d unexpectedly caused, Kerr glanced over at his companion, an instinctive smile lighting his face.  It was difficult to be mad at Digital; awed, astounded, floored, flabbergasted, confused by, worshipful towards... but never mad.  He was just... amazing.

"You know where I\'m going?" he queried, believing Digital shouldn\'t... but Digital was certainly not one to follow protocol and it wouldn\'t surprise the Irishman if he realised.  Well... maybe a little, just like he always was when the young vampire opened his mouth.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
"Taking out the trash," Digital replied, sitting in the passenger seat and looking very calm now that he was inside the vehicle with Kerr and heading for the place that would be filled with friends.

He watched the scenery blur by, not focussing his supernatural gaze but letting his stare drift over buildings and people as they passed.  Traffic was horrible and the car was moving a lot slower than the speed limit allowed, and he gave Kerr a helpful direction.

"If you use Yarrow Street on the right up ahead, you\'ll find that Third Avenue is a lot clearer," he declared, having come from that direction and not needing any voices in his head to let him know such things.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »
"Okay," Kerr agreed, not questioning the knowledge - though he did believe that it was the voices telling Digital this magical information, rather than it being the mundane reality it was.  He always believed the most fantastical of Digital; nothing about the man was mundane.

"So how have you been, anyway?  I haven\'t seen you since... " he fell quiet as he thought about it, for he hadn\'t seen Digital since before everything with Jack (and that was largely how he packaged it and assigned it to the recesses of his thoughts now - \'everything with Jack\' - rather than thinking too hard on either Jack or Ben).

He wanted to tell the empath that his advice had had mixed results but that, overall, he was grateful, but he suddenly didn\'t want to talk about that.  Not with Digital.  He just... couldn\'t quite think of anything better to say.  "Well, it\'s been a while!" he announced, forcing a laugh that didn\'t get past \'strained\'.  "Hope you\'ve been keeping well?" he prompted, hoping to keep things on track (and off himself).

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »
"I bought myself a toaster," Digital replied, then turned to grin at Kerr, for he\'d been the inspiration behind this glorious purchase.  Every now and then Digital would make toast, and more often than not he would burn it.  Sabrina had pounded on his door a few times, warning him not to burn the bloody house down, and he would promise her very seriously that he wouldn\'t, though the comment

burn the house down

often made him think of Kerr.

"And I\'ve been having a lot of sex at Risk lately, without looking for it."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »
Kerr blinked as he glanced from the road to grin at Digital.  "Half your luck," he commented dryly and thinking of Jenna.  "You like to have it in the club, do you?" he enquired, making polite chatter while he made the turn digital suggested and found their speed picked up markedly.  The GPS began to sound downright excited, in fact.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
The question was one that made Digital turn a goggled stare at Kerr\'s profile, wondering what he meant by that exactly.  In the club, as opposed to, on it?  It sounded almost like he\'d meant with it, but such a thing was structurally impossible.

"Since the little Caesars took it over, it\'s become a smorgasboard.  All you can eat buffet followed by an interactive show.  I like how it is, but I miss what it used to be.  Will you visit more often, when you\'re crowned?"  He turned all the way around in his seat, his back to the window and his knees drawn up as much as the car would allow for (which was a lot, in the roomy cabin of Kerr\'s sedan), genuinely interested in Kerr\'s plans.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
Kerr laughed warily.  "Crowned?  Who\'s going to crown me?" he scoffed, knowing there would be more to the comment than met the eye, but hoping that - just this once - Digital would be able to give him more of a clue than he usually did.  "As far as I know, my blood\'s not blue!"

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
"Not officially," Digital said frowning, like Kerr should\'ve figured that much out on his own.  He didn\'t say anything more, but continued to stare at Kerr.

Kerr was perhaps his only true friend in the city, for the rest came and went without word, and the others were just nightly flings that meant nothing.  Kerr was his rock, his point of stability, who helped him realise that time really was passing and he wasn\'t just dreaming.  He couldn\'t make up an elaborate dream such as Kerr and the fuss with his fledgling.

"You should start subscribing to some of the fashion magazines.  It\'ll be a way of keeping in touch.  The pictures will be good enough to spill your seed over.  Even the Cigarette Man will agree."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 08:47:17 PM »
Naturally, Kerr was disappointed with his decision to wait for Digital to elaborate.  He usually was, unless he pressed for information.  Hard.

The odd comment about being crowned (which just made him think of being in Scotland with Jenna, in his castle, not three weeks before) was obviously not going to be explained and, again, he had the urge to get hold of a pen and paper so he could at least make notes to himself for later reference.  He assumed that, one day, the comment would make sense and he\'d want to know extraneous information then.

It could be a day, a month or a century until that moment, however, so there was no real point fussing with Digital over it.  Especially when he followed up with crass advice about subscribing to fashion magazines to assist him masturbating.  Again, his thoughts swung back to Jenna and how he definitely did not need magazines for such a purpose, but he pushed them away from his mind quickly.  Something about associating the two bits of information seemed somehow to sully her.

"Uh... keeping in touch with who?" he enquired, arriving at a place that had silenced his GPS at last.  He parked and turned off the car in one smooth motion, looking at Digital with a frown.  It was funny, in fact, how he\'d been thinking of getting in touch with Ben, since the start of his European jaunt a couple of weeks before, but that was the only person he could think he needed to be in touch with (because he rather needed some answers about how ready he was to progress his feelings and only one person could help him out in that area).  Funny if that was who Digital meant - though what jacking off over fashion magazines had to do with it was anybody\'s guess.

If he hadn\'t been so indecisive about going to New York once he got back from Europe, actually, he would never have been at work to even see Jake.  He wouldn\'t be here now, at his place, about to be outfitted for a war he wasn\'t entirely committed to, either; he\'d be on the coast reassuring himself that his fledgling was fine and that they could continue as two separate entities and be happy about it.  Then he\'d (ideally) fly back and tell Jenna he could commit to her in so many more ways than physically, because he was well and truly over Ben and they\'d both healed up a treat after their disastrous, turbulent affair.  Yes.

Alas, though, things hadn\'t gone that way, he\'d decided he would tidy up the work that had no doubt piled up for him while he was away first, and then figure out if he should visit Ben or not.  Now he would have to wait until this Sabbat business was taken care of, for it rather took precedence over sorting out his confused private life.

"And do I already know the Cigarette Man, or am I yet to meet him?" he finished, cradling his keys in his hand and looking at Digital in the sudden silence.  He would wait until he got an answer to these questions before he continued to Jake\'s place.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
He would\'ve replied to the first question, except Kerr\'s eyes got a faraway look and Digital figured he had his own voices to listen to, he didn\'t need Digital\'s also. He kept quiet, waiting for Kerr to return to the present, and when he did, he brought another question with him.

"The Cigarette Man! The Cigarette Man!" Digital replied, bouncing in his seat before mimicking smoking a cigarette and then tapping imaginary ash onto Kerr\'s lap. "One of the pair you share your bed with," he explained in a manner that was very suddenly impossible to misinterpret.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
"Ohhh!" Kerr exclaimed, his eyes lighting up and a laugh erupting from him as he made the connection.  "Ash!  I get it.  So... he\'ll agree that... the fashion magazines are a good idea?" the Oligarch asked dubiously, his hand going to his car door handle, so he could open it.

Although he didn\'t yet, the action signalled that he was ready to get out and put this fashion magazine stuff behind them - it didn\'t make sense and probably wouldn\'t for a while, but it was somehow reassuring to know that Ash was involved.  He\'d have a friend\'s support... however that worked!

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
Digital nodded and exploded with a "YES!" before clambouring out of the car and shutting the door, bouncing on the balls of his feet for a moment before pushing forward and following Kerr to wherever he led, wanting to meet the friends who would let him use fire.  They would like his equipment, he thought, his arsenal of fire-creating weapons were often hidden in his closet at the Parlour, and now he would be able to pull them out and use them in front of others.  He could imagine their cheering now.  Cheering

the flames
the house will burn so high
and it will be freedom for Kerr
freedom freedom help him be free

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 06:47:34 PM »
Laughing again, Kerr did get out of the car and closed his door, watching for Digital\'s exit so that he could lock it and shove his keys into his back right jeans pocket.  He then slid his fingertips into the front ones and left them tucked in while he walked across the road.  Given that he was arriving unannounced, he was very quickly confronted with some very imposing iron gates that were not open for their entry.

In fact, there were some guards up near the building that seemed to take their position very seriously.  Kerr bumped shoulders with Digital, nudging him out of the way so that he could reach over and press a button on the intercom.  Knowing Jake lived on the twentieth floor, that would be what he punched in if he was able; if it was just a buzzer to get through to the front desk, he would press that and speak.  "Hello.  Kerr Galvin and... Digital, to see Jake McCloud," he would tell whomever answered him.

He glanced at his companion enquiringly, cocking an eyebrow and silently asking if the Malkavian had a last name he wasn\'t aware of.  He hoped not, though what he\'d just said would hardly be deemed insulting to Digital, who seemed willing to forgive him anything.

(Continued in \'Culling\')