Author Topic: Re: Fitting  (Read 17376 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:01 AM »
(Continued from \'Fitting\')

Jake arose in a start. The events of the previous night had made him very on edge. He also rose later than he usually did. He must have been tired from his fight with the Sabbat. Jake quickly noticed he was still wearing the same torn clothes of the previous night and he was sure he smelt of death. He stripped down to his skin and walked into his shower. The hot water burnt Jake\'s skin ever so lightly and thoughts of all the chaos he\'d faced flashed through his mind.

He had pissed off the ruler of the city. Despite wining over Kerr Galvin Jake still remained on the shit list of a very unstable Kindred. He\'d passed out in the Oligarchy due to blood loss which was just an embracing thought. Then there was Kerr Galvin himself. The lust that entered Jake\'s mind allowed for a brief reprieve from the hard life he\'d been living as of late. The thought of the Sabbat killing the mortal women on the street was more than enough to bring him down. Then there was Zach. Zach was the first mortal who Jake had really connected with in the city. Of course the night\'s biggest surprise was finding both Conner and Scott waiting for him outside Dante\'s. Scott had stupidly knocked down Jake\'s gates. He was sure the day management had replayed them though. They were good about covering Jake\'s messes and not asking questions. Then the Sabbat had come and tried to Kill Jake and his friends. The fight ended in a total victory for the Anarch but still it had been a much closer fight then Jake would have liked to admit. So with Scott in the guest room probably still asleep and Conner a few floors below, probably studying some form of blood magic Jake was there in the shower.

Jake turned off the water and went to dress. A button up black shirt that framed his body well slipped itself onto Jake\'s damp pale body. This was followed by skinny jeans and converse. Jake had decided to go casual. He wanted to show Kerr he was at ease in his own home. Jake put on his best cologne and did his hair and finally loved the reflection in the mirror. He was ready to face the night.

He exited his bathroom and started a roaring fire. He put on nice music and did his best to clean the place up a bit. He knew Kerr was coming and that Scott and Conner would be there but he had no idea if Kerr was brining anybody else. He mentioned he might so Jake would prepare for several guests that evening. His blade sat upon the mantel glowing eerily in the dim light of the fire. Blueprints, photos and documents were bundled neatly on the coffee table. While wondering if he should wake Scott Jake heard a buzz from the intercom.

"Mr. McCloud, a Kerr Galvin and.... ugh.... Digital to see you?"

Digital, who the fuck was Digital?

"Let them up Henry. I\'m expecting them," came Jake\'s response into the intercom. So Kerr had brought a friend. Tonight was going to be interesting, now to wake up Scott.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
After a short silence, the gate buzzed open, causing Kerr to smile at Digital and precede him through the opening (since Digital was following him - even though it went again his polite nature - he figured he\'d better go first).

They strolled through the lobby, acknowledging anyone that looked at them and looking around curiously, but not talking.  Kerr figured that if Digital had questions, he\'d ask them when they were in Jake\'s company.  He spent the ride up in the lift trying to decide how, exactly, he should introduce his empathic friend... and deciding there really wasn\'t an easy way to go about it.

After stepping out of the lift, Kerr knocked on the wooden door before him, frowning at the odd sound that reverberated from it when he did.  He rocked slowly from the balls of his feet to his heels and back again as he waited for the portal to open, fingers still tucked into the front pockets of his jeans and looking at the door, rather than at Digital.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
Dressed as he was in his bright orange bio-hazard jumpsuit, with thick lace-up workboots and yellow goggles wrapped around his eyes, the young Malkavian would certainly make an impression.  He was getting tired of the jumpsuit lately though, and was shopping around for a new outfit, though nothing had caught his eye.

He looked at Kerr, who was looking at the door, and then looked at the door before his head turned further, to look at the scenery around him.  His voices were whispering riddles of glee and he was attentive to them, having a mental conversation with them and being otherwise quiet and stable to whoever might be watching.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »
Conner waited impatiently in the lobby for the elevator to Jake\'s apartment. He\'d just gotten back from collecting his things from his car and stashing them in his apartment, and had changed into somewhat more presentable clothing. He\'d selected a tight black cotton blend tshirt with a v-neck, tucked in and covered by a clean and perfectly fitting gray denim jacket. He had changed from his dusty brown hiking boots to black running shoes over black socks. He had a black leather belt with a steel buckle threaded through the loops of his jeans, which were so dark blue they appeared to be black at first glance. He topped the entire outfit off with a reasonably stylish pair of reflective black sunglasses.

Last night had pissed him off. Badly. And tonight, he didn\'t care who knew it. The only reason he hadn\'t added a black baseball cap to the ensemble, instead styling his hair into a multitude of small spikes that was somehow reminiscent of flames and fangs all at once, was because somehow wearing a hat and sunglasses indoors made one look like a criminal. The elevator pinged its arrival and slid open. He stepped in and flicked the button to take him to the top floor, preparing his mental barricades to survive his own temper, should he have to defend his mind against Jake.

His left hand fiddled with the random box and aging Zippo lighter he had tucked into his jacket pocket. Last night had been a strategic disaster when the Sabbat had sent a welcoming party. Jake and Scott had both run off on their own to fight an opponent, with enemy reinforcements hiding in easy range. They had been sloppy, careless, and it could have cost the Oligarchy their control of the city. By the time the elevator doors pinged and opened on the top floor, Connall Iessan was visibly seething with rage. Just for effect, he lit a cigarette from the random box and blew out a cloud of minty smoke a half-second before the doors opened. By no means was he surprised by the two vampires that were already in the small entrance room between the elevator and Jake\'s front door. He had sensed them on his ascent.

What did surprise him was the sight of them. One was wearing a brilliant orange jumpsuit, which looked somewhat the worse for wear, and heavy looking work boots. Everything about him seemed to scream wrong! but somehow it made sense. Oh, no... he realized as his psychic senses reeled when they came into contact with the vampire\'s mind. A Malkavian. He deliberately focused his mind inwards, away from the twisted presence. Instead, his eye searched the other, less alarmingly dressed person. He seemed normal enough, and around his own age from what he guessed. There was no guessing the age or attributes of the Malkavian; there was too much confusion in that aura for a quick scan. Still, despite his irritation and consternation about being caught in an eight-by-six room with a Malkavian, he noticed the sane one had a familiar style of tattoo poking out of his sleeve. Though he was a long way from being certain, he decided to give it a try.

"My name is Conner," he introduced himself in Gaelic to the sane one as he stepped out of the elevator. He ignored the Malkavian completely, partially to help conceal how disturbed he was by his presence. He wasn\'t devious enough to realize he did a terrible job of it. "Are you here to speak to Jake?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
Kerr turned as the elevator opened behind him, his expression shifting to a frown as the stench of cigarette smoke preceded the lift\'s occupant.  It cleared the instant he heard his mother tongue, however, an enchanted look lighting up his face and lifting his mouth in a smile as he swivelled and stepped forward, his hand out to be shaken.

"Why yes, I am - I\'m Kerr Galvin," he introduced himself in the same language - though at least one of his chosen words was a more archaic form, signalling his four hundred years of existence subtly.  "And that is my friend, Digital," he elaborated, indicating his companion but not stopping to allow the two strangers to talk, because he didn\'t wish to switch out of Gaelic so quickly.

"Jake is a friend of yours, I take it?
" the Oligarch queried, looking over the vampire before him in an effort to assess if he was the weapon-toting, Sabbat fighting type as well.  By the looks of him, Kerr thought he was.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:03:27 PM »
"How loosely are we using the term friend?" Conner inquired, recognizing the difference in their language. He\'d kept his Gaelic updated with the times until his exile. It would be excessively difficult to switch to his original slang and accent, so he didn\'t bother. "Not precisely friends, more like old acquaintances. I take it you\'re here for the meeting, then." He took another hit off his cigarette and exhaled, blowing the smoke up towards the ceiling. Then he held the burning tip up in front of his eyes and mentally extinguished the cigarette. It was one of his favorite varieties, and they had been discontinued. He was only really smoking to piss Jake off about the smell permeating his foyer, and he didn\'t want to waste a good one on such a task. Besides, he could tell from Kerr\'s expression that he disliked the smell. So he flicked the ash off onto the floor and slid it back into the aluminum cigarette case in his pocket.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
"Ahh," he agreed, nodding as Conner redefined his relationship with Jake, making it clear that they weren\'t as intimately connected as the term \'friend\' implied they might be.  Considering Jake\'s somewhat odd behaviour the night before, Kerr could understand how it might be difficult for Jake to have close friends - though his heart was certainly in the right place.

The meeting comment had Kerr raising his eyebrows.  "I suppose I am.  Here to see if an Oligarch and vampire not of your ilk can be of any use, at any rate.  I doubt I will be; I\'ve never fought anything but my sire in my entire life - and he\'s an eleven year old boy and generally won as it was!" he joked, laughing at the silliness of his phrasing, even though it was more or less true.  Sawyl could best him easily, child or no.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:30:41 PM »
Despite his irritation with the fight the previous evening, Conner\'s mouth quirked in a quick smirk. "An Oligarch? Why would you be taking part in the fighting? Wouldn\'t that endanger the government?"

As he spoke, he stepped over to the door and pounded on it three times with vampiric strength, the sound booming loudly in the enclosed space. "Jake McCloud, open this damn door!" He yelled in English. His fist left three small dents in the wooden facade, but he didn\'t care.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:55:36 PM »
He didn\'t understand Gaelic, not one word of it, but the language was pretty enough to listen to.  As he followed the rhythm of the words, his voices told him what they were talking about - or their interpretation at the very least.  It was way off; Digital was imagining stories about catching butterflies in the hills of Ireland.

"It\'s too cold for butterflies this time of year," he provided helpfully after the door was stamped with Connor\'s fist.  In spite of not being told Connor\'s name in English, he was savvy enough to have figured it out between the Gaelic.  He looked at Kerr and smiled apologetically before patting his friend on the back.  "They\'ll be out sooner than you think."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 09:24:08 AM »
A light knock was heard as Jake drifted off to the guest room. He hit Scott lightly in the head to stir the sleeping fledgling. No movement. Jake then took a book and smacked him across the face, gently but enough to sting. Scott moved ever so slightly. Good enough, Jake thought. He returned to the living room only to hear an angry Conner banging on his door.

"I thought the Tremere were a patient clan," he yelled in Gaelic.

Jake moved to the door and opened it in time to see not one but three Vampires on his doorstep. Conner looked like he wanted Jake\'s head on a platter. Conner disapproved of Jake\'s actions last night during the raid. He\'s sought to engage the pries in one on one combat instead of falling back. Conner had been in exile for a while and although Jake respected him he found Conner\'s since of superiority foolish and not earned. While Conner practiced magic tricks Jake ruled a city, fought off a blood hunt and killed an ancient. Also more Sabbat fell to his blade then Conner was years old. Who the fuck was he to judge how Jake fought his battles. So what if more vampires had been hiding they were all weak compared to the priest. Also Jake knew the Sabbat mind, kill the priest the pack runs like rats.

Jake now turned his attention to Kerr Galvin. The man looked sexy. Jake held it in. Now was not the time. He wondered what Kerr really thought of him after the meeting. Well he was here so he was taking Jake somewhat seriously. That was a start. Hopefully tonight would improve their relationship. Hopefully, Conner would keep his fucking mouth shut. Then finally Jake looked to the third vampire. Malkavian Kerr certainly kept interesting company. Jake was pleased that a Malkavain was here though, the Tremere hated them. For the Malkavains insight into the twisted world was a power no matter how hard the Tremere may try they could never harness. The Malkavian also told the Tremere\'s dark secrets. Conner should and probably would be on his mental guard around this individual. Good.

"Hello Kerr, welcome to my home. I hope you find it\'s to your liking. Conner I hope you liked your suite? Um... I\'m sorry we haven’t been introduced. Your name is?"

He was of course talking to the Malkavain. He gestured for the three vampires to enter his home as he waited for the odd friend of Kerr to respond.
It was then he noticed his door. FUCK!
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:26:07 AM »
Kerr chuckled at Conner and responded in Gaelic.  "I\'m hardly that important.  Oligarchs don\'t get nearly the amount of respect we deserve," he joked, blinking as the newcomer started vociferating at the door just beside him.  He took a slight step back, to give him room, belatedly realising that when he\'d denied being Jake\'s friend, he\'d likely meant completely the opposite.

When Digital patted him on the back reassuringly, Kerr tilted his head and frowned at his friend, wondering about his advice.  He wasn\'t sure whether that meant the butterflies, the occupant (s?) of the apartment or... the Oligarchy, but he likely couldn\'t understand his and Conner\'s conversation... or could he?

His mouth was pursed, ready to ask his question when the door opened, convincing Kerr that the Malkavian\'s comments had been about Jake emerging from the apartment.  Probably.  He smiled at Jake, appreciating his graciousness.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »
"Digital," the Malkavian provided, before throwing himself forward in order to hug Jake, embracing him like someone would a long-lost friend.  He was squeezing him tightly, and spoke into Jake\'s collar, his voice muffled.  "Thank you for the chance to sign up," he said, then pulled away, his hands on Jake\'s shoulders while his goggled gaze fixed on the other vampire.  "My light will burn bright for you!" he promised, then turned his head to grin at Kerr, who was slightly behind him.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
  • Write with no boundaries.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »
Scott sat up from the bed with a slight headache.  He ran his fingers through his short hair and down the back of his neck. The rookie sat there for a moment in only his briefs, secretly wishing Connor was waking up next to him. He heard voices coming from the other room.  He sensed something very odd.  Was Jake going to let me sleep all night?

He moved off the bed and towards the wooden dresser.  After the brawl from last night, Scott was able to grab his belongings, including his gun from his Diablo.  What he had wasn\'t much, a few pairs of clothes, his toothbrush, some deodorant and his razor.

The blonde unzipped his bag. Reaching in, he pulled out a navy blue T-shirt.  He pulled it over his bare skin.  The cotton clung to his pecks ever so nicely.  After reaching in again he pulled on a pair of Dark wash Boot cut jeans that had a snug fit around his legs.  He slipped his arms into the holster and picked up his shiny silver Desert Eagle from the hardwood surface and pushed it into its home.  The socks and black boots were last.  Scott reached up and skimmed his face.  Some stubble was beginning to show.

He pulled the door open as everyone was stepping into Jake\'s space.  Scott noticed the man in the orange jumpsuit right away.  He now knew the odd feeing he sensed.  

Without saying anything he walked to the fridge.  Without asking, he opened it.  He was thirsty.  Scott pulled a bag of red liquid from the top shelf and passed it to the microwave.  Scott hated cold blood for some reason.  A few seconds would do.

After pouring some blood into a white mug, he walked around the island counter and faced the guests.  The odd man had just finished hugging Jake.

Conner walked in.  Scott felt an instant high.  The v neck displayed a perfect amount of chest and the jacket was tightly fit.  Scott\'s eyes moved down.  He stared at the shiny belt buckle and fantasized shortly about ripping it off and letting the black jeans.  No, wait.  Blue jeans fall to the ground.  

The sound of the door closing brought Scott back to reality.  It was then that he noticed three new dents in the door.  Scott could smell the cigarette smoke lingering around Conner.  What a turn off.

Scott glanced over the remaining male.  Even with his casual attire, he still seemed to be important.

He sipped the warm blood once more.
INFUSCO: Scott / Blake / Parker
ZOMBIE MANIA: Christian / Joel
HALFLIGHT: Mason

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 03:26:40 PM »
So the Malkavain was a hugger. Jake was taken aback just a bit by this very forward gesture. He returned the hug as a show of good faith and even added in a light pat on the back. "Your welcome Digital. I hope your unique skills will be of use to us."

After all his guests had entered Jake shut the door. He moved to the fireplace and grabbed the silver poker. He adjusted the coals as he thought about what he should say first. It had been a while since Jake had led one of these. He decided to start by telling everyone why they were here. Also he had a job for Conner and Scott that needed doing. Also he wanted to talk to Digital more. Also he wanted Kerr alone. Jake had another long night planed.

"Thank you all for coming. It means a lot you all rearranged your schedules for me and this meeting. I have a lot to cover so if there aren’t any objections I’d like to start. Does anybody need anything? Blood?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »
Conner watched Digital and Jake hug with a raised eyebrow and a frankly judgmental glower, but said nothing. Unique was one of a selection of adjectives in a variety of languages one could use to describe Malkavians, and it was far from his preferred choice. All this talk about flames and burning bright was making him want to toast someone himself, given his current mood, but he was weak from using too much of his stored blood the night before.

He stalked into Jake\'s home two steps behind Kerr, following his pace and timing. His sunglasses were still in place, and he took them off, bathing the living room in a burning azure glare. His mood had been tempered somewhat by his conversation with Kerr, but he was still bordering on wanting to throw Jake against a wall and give him a nice roasting. Still, letting his guard down around such a skilled telepath and a Malkavian verrückte (German - "lunatic") was a bad idea, setting aside the important considerations that it would drain him into a stupor in all probability.

Scott was in the kitchen, drinking a mug of blood and looking at him with an almost hungry expression. He took a moment off of being angry to devour the handsome fledgling with his eyes for a long moment, then returned to seething. He realized that he wasn\'t actually as angry as he thought he was. Kerr\'s conversation had calmed him some, and now that he thought about it, he was really more angry on Scott\'s behalf. Jake had immediately gone in the opposite direction of his adopted child, leaving him to fight an older, more experienced, more powerful vampire. They were all lucky that Scott had handled his opponent. If he\'d been killed, Jake would have probably been driven to do something even more reckless, endangering the entire operation.

He positioned himself by the fireplace, leaning against the wall to gain strategic proximity to both the gleaming sword and the fire. He beckoned to Scott to sit by him with a small smile, actually meaning the friendliness he was portraying. He also wanted to have Scott near him for political leverage, but that was just because he didn\'t trust himself to make a point without Scott close at hand.

"I\'d like some blood Jake, thank you," he replied to the courteous question. His tone was harsh, and the warmth evaporated from his expression when he turned his head to look at his host. He felt thin and worn after his exertion the night before, and it was making him feel bipolar.