Author Topic: Passing Time  (Read 8250 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Passing Time
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
Seeing Storm with her head buried in a book and the kitten following closely behind her every step was a common occurrence as of late. The kitten was more watchful and attentive than Damien had ever been, and kept the girl company at all times--something that Damien could not do.  Especially not during the day--even though the kitten almost seemed to sleep as much as the vampire during the day.  At night, the little terror would scamper around chasing things unseen (or Delilah) throughout the house.  If Damien entered the room and interrupted him whenever he was spending time with Storm, he would hiss and glare until the vampire--or Storm--left the room.  The girl, of course, thought the creature was adorable. Simply a delight.

Now, the two were in the kitchen together, both enwrapped in their own worlds.  Storm was between being occupied with boiling water for tea and reading The Vampire Lestat; and the kitten was busy with making sure that her feet did not go for a second without being intensely watched or curiously played with.  It took the girl a few days to grow accustomed to the quirky behavior of the animal, and it was never annoying for her.  Only Damien seemed to be unimpressed, uninterested or annoyed with the kitten’s antics.  But he was a jerk anyway, and Storm had made sure the kitten knew that.  Not that she needed to tell him anything.  He seemed to know exactly what kind of a person Damien was from the first day they met in the pet store last week.

It had been a quiet week after moving into the new house.  No unnecessarily nasty nightmares had occurred--though she had only slept once--since that first night.  Still, it was too early for Storm to assume wonder whether they had actually escaped from anything at all.  There was never an escape from him.  

But that wasn’t exactly what Storm was thinking about this second.

Lestat had just met Akasha, just had his violin crushed.  And she was letting him bite her, take her blood. Her blood “penetrating every pulsing particle” of him with “threads of its burning web”. And then she was taking his, an unbreakable circuit, senses singing, mouths open and that rhythmic drawing in unison.  Suddenly the brake, Enkil.  Everything—the connection—destroyed.  That horror, that despair that filled Lestat was absorbed by Storm.  To think that in a week she had gone through the entirety of The Interview With a Vampire, hating Lestat, to falling in love with him in his version of the story.

She had left the cap off the kettle purposely so it would not scream when the water was ready.  She figured that she had made enough noise without making tea. The girl had to stand on her tip-toes to reach the coffee mugs on one of the higher shelves of the cupboard.  The cupboards had been stocked with all the basic necessities any normal eating person would need. Even the pantry had at least flour, sugar, salt, and miscellaneous spices; canned peaches, pasta, canned soup and whatever else Storm thought she might eat.  The contents of the refrigerator were sparse except for apples, ice cream, blood, juice and a condiment here and there. But she wasn’t really picky when it came to food, so really it was just perfect.  Without looking up much from the book, she reached for one, realizing offhandedly only afterwards that she could have just used telepathy.

Once Storm noticed the steam streaming violently up from the spout, she poured the boiling water into one of the plain white mugs that she had retrieved.  After placing the teapot back on the stove, she walked into the living room with the can trailing behind her.  Storm carefully balanced the cupful of steeping tea while navigating around the house using only her peripheral vision.  When she had reached the living room, she placed the cup onto the table and for the next half hour, sat unmoving with the cat in her lap, who received the occasional affectionate pat or scratch behind the ear.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Passing Time
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »
Things were moving steadily for the first time in weeks. There was no longer the scent of Storm lingering so closely to his room, no longer the constant wakefulness of the girl so close to him. There was no more of any of the things he had reluctantly become accustomed to being around. Sure, there was the tenseness of waking up an hour before the sun had set and the now-subconscious search for the girl throughout the house that was now rightfully his. But her breathing and heartbeat were finally far enough away from him to give him some peace with his thoughts of his former life.

For the first time in months, in fact since he had met Storm, Damien could think about all that had happened to him in his lifetime without feeling the reclusive shift of Storm\'s feelings. And then feeling that pang of disappointment at having to hide how he truly felt. He could think of is wife, of his children and the empire that he had lost four-hundred-something years ago. He could dream, as he nightly did, about the smiles and disappointments and casualties of living under Lucretia, his wife of a former era long since dead. He could remember the pain of her death, and the satin skin of her stomach against his lips without worrying about Storm\'s interrupting and needless self-consciousness. It was wonderful.

And even as he dreamt, there was the peace of four-hundred years of familarity, even in the visions of Her death. There was peace in tearing his chains from the walls and killing the cloaked mortals that made his throat itch. There was peace of familarity in grabbing his oldest son by the throat and dragging him into the deepest cellars of the castle. Familarity in the tears and ripping pain, the blood in his hands and smeared of his face. Yes, it was something he prefered sometimes over the objectivity of reality and the future racing onward.

But the smoke was unfamiliar to him. The scent of burning metal and chemical. In dreams, he gazed around him, hands burried finger-deep into the cold stone in eastern Europe. Thoughts of Her faded, turned into a floating consciousness. Pierre melted into mortar and then into a blackened window at his back as he emerged from dream. He smelled the air as he opened his eyes widely, springing up in bed. The scent of the girl, of the house struck him. The scent of burning chemical.

He was out of bed faster than any mortal could have ever hoped, calling out Storm\'s name as fear prickled the hair on the back of his neck. Damien was down the stairs as fast as he could be, only nearly a half-second after waking, but skidded to a stop when he saw Storm resting calmly on the couch in the living room facing the fireplace with a steaming cup of tea. With his eyes wide open and ready for any signs of danger, he searched the room and searched throughout the house for another living animal. They were all in the family room with her. "What\'s going on?" he demanded, searching wildly for signs of danger which weren\'t really there. He had thought that surely Laurent must have been in the house, burning it. Damien\'s mind was focused intently on the entire room. It was a long time before he realized the source of the scent was coming from the stove in the kitchen.

His body relaxed itself as he began to figure things out, ignoring the girl and entering the kitchen instead. The vampire looked at the electric stove for a long time before he came to realize, regardless of any reaction from the human girl, that it was no mortal danger. She had left the tea kettle on the stove and the water had boiled out. With great heaviness, he sighed. Figures, he thought to himself.

"Storm," he said pointedly and threw an impatient look towards the doorway, making a point to stand right next to the stove without turning it off, even if the smell was atrocious.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
And suddenly Damien was in front of her, looking around wildly as though someone had broken in and set off the alarm.  Storm peered over the top of her book, interrupting the magic of Lestat for a moment to study him with curiosity. "Nothing\'s going on," she said slowly, "whats wrong?" the kitten had begun hissing at the vampire, as though he presented this great danger to the girl. He didn\'t stop until Damien stalked off to the kitchen.

"What is it?" she called after him, scooping the kitten up in her arms and following the vampire into the kitchen.  By the time Damien sighed and said her name, Storm was only in the doorway.

"What is--" her eyes fell from his face to the kettle on the stove.  The stove that was still on. High. It was then that she noticed the smell. Storm\'s eyes widened.

"Oh my god, I\'m so sorry!" setting the kitten lightly on the floor (who thus began to hiss and growl, eyes locked on Damien) Storm ran over to the stove top and turned the dial off.  There were a million things running through her mind.  Like how she could have burned the house down, killing everyone inside--especially Damien. Shit.

Muttering a string of curses, she picked up the ruined tea kettle and placed it into the sink, running cold water over the scalding metal. "Shit, I\'m so sorry. That was so stupid of me. I can\'t believe I did that." She didn\'t meet Damien\'s eye.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
Even through the deepest of sleeps, Damien would have been able to smell that kettle burning; he was a bit surprised to see that she couldn\'t, sitting so close to it. With a sense of impatience and a bit of blear to his newly-opend eyes, Damien moved out of the way for her to turn off the stove.

Well I can believe it, he almost murmured through the misery of being awoken so roughly from his safety. It was a very likely thing to occur now. Even only a week in he had suffered her bits of forgetfulness or neglect. Usually it just made him roll his eyes, give her a look and pick up quicker than she could have ever hoped to do so. "How could you not smell that? You\'re sitting right there? Mon Dieu, you could have melted the damn thing into a puddle of molten metal if you really wanted to. How could you not smell that?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »
One the metal had cooled, the girl turned off the focet. A thousand different senarios continued playing through her mind, all of which ended with certian catastrophy that she could never have dreamed of preventing.

"I don\'t know! I\'m sorry," she uttered for the millionth time, glancing quickly up at the vampire who she assumed would be cranky from being woken up earlier than he would have prefered. If it were only the first time she had done something stupid and clumsy since they moved in, maybe she wouldn\'t have felt so awful about the entire ordeal. But she was a klutz.

"I\'ll microwave a cup of water next time..." Storm offered, cleaning up the mess she had made before going over to the hissing kitten and scooping him up in her arms.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »
He had become so accustomed to her supposed inability to recall small details like shutting off an electric stove, or closing the refrigerator door that Damien had found himself more peeved at the fact that he had been woken up. He didn\'t care about the tea pot and should have figured that there was no one there -- after all, he would have smelled the guy if there had been -- but the thickness of sleep and years of constantly being on guard told him differently as he sprang out of bed. Figures, he thought.

The vampire sighed, rubbing his eyes. "Great, now I\'ll never get back to sleep," he said off-handedly, realizing that it was just about time for him to wake up anyway. "You know, now I think I know why they call you \'Storm\'. You leave a mess behind you wherever you go," he added with a smirk.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:44:48 PM »
Storm pressed the still-hissing kitten\'s head to her lips, internally relieved that whatever tension that had existed surrounding the close-call had ebbed away.  This was usually how her smaller mishaps were resolved, with some sarcastic comment that generally signaled that she could forget about it.  After all, it wasn\'t like anything bad had happened.  Given another ten minutes or so and she might have been out a teapot, but that was all.  Thankfully.

"Yeah," she said with a smirk, after a small pause "I guess you could say that."  If you could call that kind of a thing a mess.  The thought was easily shrugged off and ignored in place of other more pressing thoughts.  Hugging the kitten close to her, she slowly wandered back to the stove as if to make sure that it was turned off completely.  

"But," she added, "I was clumsier then, left more of a mess.  That\'s why they called me that.  So consider yourself lucky."

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
Damien snorted with laughter. "Lucky? You could have burned my house down, and you call me lucky? I don\'t understand your logic." It was said with a smile as he hopped up onto the countertops to sit and talk to her. It wasn\'t an arguement he wanted -- they had thankfully gotten through that stage -- it was a conversation.

"So why do they call you Storm, anyway? I can\'t believe that any mother would name their child \'Storm\', no matter how clumsy you can be."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »
The kitten hissed again, once it realized that the Bad Man wasn\'t going to be leaving the girl alone any time soon; and when she placed the kitten down on the kitchen floor lightly, it resumed its defensive stance.  Storm ignored him for the most part.

"Yeah, well, I didn\'t burn your house down, so you are lucky."  She half-smiled, leaning back against the handle off the oven door with the palms of both of her hands.  There was still a little guilt somewhere in the back of her mind, but it was enough to get passed.  For once.

"Well, its not like I was clumsy in the womb, that would be an achievement" she replied sarcastically, with a small laugh.  No, she had left a sort of path of distruction whenever.... After a small pause her smile faltered. "It was a fighting nick-name kinda, I guess.  And it just stuck."  She shrugged offhandedly, trying to make no big deal out of it.  After all, it was only a name and it wasn\'t like she was going to be going into any details about it.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »
He laughed slightly at her use of sarcasm, one of the only things he understood about modern-day humor. "So then what\'s your real name? The one your mother gave you. I don\'t believe you\'ve ever said it and I kinda feel odd calling you \'Storm\' all the time, you know? I feel like I\'m talking about the weather, not a person."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
The girl sighed in defeat.  There was no reason not to tell him, other than the fact that she didn\'t really feel like she wanted to.  "I won\'t answer if you call me by my real name," she said defensively with a smirk. "And it isn\'t anything special, it\'s just plain and ordinary."

It really was.  There wasn\'t any special meaning behind the choice of the name.  Her mother didn\'t put any thought at all into what her name was going to be.  At least it never seemed that way.  Storm meant something that related personally to her at least.  But neither really felt like a name.

"Rachel.  Rachel Ann Miller."  A short, frustrated exhale.  "There, are you happy? I do have a name."  She stuck out her tongue.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
"Rachel Ann, huh?" Damien regarded the girl quizzically. "You don\'t like that? It\'s so ...you, though. You look like a Rachel and I think it definitely fits you."

Throughout his life he had had tons of different names -- Guillaume, Damianos, Damien -- so the idea of hating a name was not unempathized by him. But he liked the name Rachel for her, even if it was a bit plain. It wasn\'t too common like Guillaume or William was, but still it wasn\'t far out there either. Not to mention that there was just something about her that screamed "Rachel. I like it, personally. Why don\'t you?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
She half-winced every time he said her name--her real name.  "Ugh. It\'s just--"  Why did she have such a problem with it?  The fact that her mother gave it to her, maybe?  The fact that it reminded her of her years at home?  The fact that it was so plain and boring and not pretty like Elizabeth or something elegant like that.  No.  Just Rachel.

"It\'s just been a long time I guess."  Storm smirked "Besides, Rachel\'s wicked plain and there\'s like a million Rachels all over the place."  Not a complete lie.

"Why do you like it?"  she challenged, an almost playful smile creeping into her eyes.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
He raised an eyebrow at her last comment. "It\'s alright. I think it\'s nice. It\'s kinda pretty, I guess," he added with overly-emphasized sarcasm, which only proved to make him feel slightly awkward about how to change the subject somehow before things got really awkward. "Besides, its not like it\'s as good as Guillaume deToulouse especially.

"I just don\'t see why you hate it so much. I fact, I may have to just start calling you Rachel again, just to get you back in the habit. I mean do you realy want to be known as Storm for the rest of your life? I mean, if you do, that\'s alright too I guess, but I just figured I\'d do the curtious thing and see if you wanted to be called something other than Storm..."

Way to make things awkward, Damien.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
She laughed at his sarcasam and the joke he was trying to make, almost half out of awkwardness.  He thought her name was...pretty?  It was just a name, a plain old name.  Her plain old name.  Why am I blushing? No, she really didn\'t particularly want to be called anything else, but Storm didn\'t exactly have a good enough reason not to.  She let a few awkward seconds pass in silence before she rushed to fill it.

"I don\'t care.  Do whatever you want."  Another awkward pause and a misplaced blush,  "Just know I might not realize you\'re talking to me at all."  She said with finality, sticking her tongue out playfully for emphasis.  For whatever reason she was begining to feel slightly awkward about the entire conversation, and averted her eyes to the kitten still sitting between the two of them.  She stooped down to pick the creature up as though rewarding him for his religious guarding.