Author Topic: High Anxiety  (Read 5909 times)

Luna Moon

High Anxiety
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »
Alec felt.... weird. She didn\'t know what it was but she felt.... strange for some reason and so did her stomach. She poked it and guessed that her current position probably wasn\'t helping. Alec was currently lying in her floor with her head toward the door and one knee drapped over the leg of her bed. Her head was propped on her other arm to give her a better vantage of her stomach, which was bare after she had pulled up the soft tanktop she wore. Her shorts had ridden up a little uncomfortably but she didn\'t care, the only people here were her and Tau, and wasn\'t like he hadn\'t seen it before. She thought about the times he had reverted back to his old self and just went naked, the had ended interestingly enough. Alec blushed a little at the thought. She kept poking her stomach over and over as if she kept trying it would fix itself. It wasn\'t that it actually hurt or anything, though she had been getting a little sick the last few mornings, that\'s what was bothering her. Alec could only come up with two things it could be: either she had ate a bad rat or she was...

Alec shook her head quickly. She didn\'t even want to think about it. She frown at her traitorious stomach as she had remembered something that Tau had said when they had first started taking an interest in each other.

How likely is it that I could have concieved?

She blushed again slightly at the thought. How often did she and Tau actually use a condom? Most of their interactions had been on impulse, mostly animalistic tendancies that desperately need to happen. But Alec certainly couldn\'t deny that she had developed feelings for the big shifter, she wondered if she could have even fallen for him. Alec groaned aloud. This certainly needed to be looked into, but she didn\'t want to do it alone.

"Tau?" she called into the quiet apartment, not moving from her spot on the floor. She didn\'t even know if he was in the apartment, she had literally woken up, rolled out of bed, and stayed on the floor. She hadn\'t even eaten anything, and now she knew she probably looked a mess, hair missed up, legs sprawled, shorts ridden up, and stomach bare. She severely hoped Tau was home and awake, after all it was midmorning.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: High Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »
Tau had been in the bathroom, shaving - something he disliked doing intensely but a necessary evil when one had to work and look their best.  He was on his way back up the hall, walking towards his bedroom wearing his suit pants (unbelted) and a white singlet tucked into them.  Shoes were the absolute last thing he put on before he left, so he was barefoot.

Hearing her call his name was always easy with his hearing (especially since he was rather fond of the throaty way she did it) but doubly so when he was more or less walking past her door at that moment.  He opened it and leaned in, leaning on the door\'s frame with one hand and on the doorknob with the other.  His gaze dropped from where he expected her face to be if she was standing, to the floor.  "Mmm?" he enquired, tilting his head as if that might help him see her better, if he could swivel his all the way around.

Luna Moon

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:02:36 AM »
Alec looked up at him as he came into her room. That was fast. she thought. She took in his appearance. He looked as if he was going to work. She looked up at him in a slight pout, much more comfortable than she had been before. "Do you have to go to work this morning?" she asked him, looking at him from hea to toe, arching her back slightly in the process and showing more of her already bare stomach. She looked back at his face. "If you don\'t have anywhere to be, will you just come sit with me for a while, we kinda have to talk," she said looking back to her stomach and poking it again.

After a few pokes, and without redirecting her gaze, she patted the floor beside her, motioning that she wanted him to lay beside her. She kept poking and rubbing her stomach, contemplatinghow she was going to have this conversation with him and what his reaction would be I she were pregnant. Would he be worried or upset or would he be completely ecstatic? Tau was never predictable and that was one thing she loved about him.

What do I feel toward Tau? Do I really love him or just lust for him? What would I do if I had his child? What would we do?

Alec calmed herself down and looked at him with thoughtful eyes. She wondered about his reaction.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »
Her comments gave him pause - she\'d never requested he stay home from work just to talk with her and, frankly, it seemed rather strange.  Letting go of his rather awkward holds on the door frame and knob, he was released suddenly into the room and more or less pounced onto the spot she indicated she wanted him, falling gracefully onto his right side and resting his head on his raised hand to look curiously at her.

"I do have to go to work today, I have some cases to hear in the afternoon and I wanted to have the papers ready before them, so I would be home by dark.  What do we have to talk about?" he queried, his gaze drawn by her relentless prodding of her body, to look down at her stomach.  His large hand covered it automatically when he sighted that much bare flesh of hers, a spear of lust flashing through him now that he was so close.

It took some effort, but he looked away from her body and up to her face curiously.

Luna Moon

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
Alec put her hand over his on her stomach. "Don\'t worry, it won\'t take too long." she looked over at him and sighed, gathering the most courage she had ever used, this would be hard for her. "I\'m just telling you this to let you know and, you know, voice my concerns." She looked back her belly with both her and Tau\'s hand over it, and honestly, she could get used to it. "I\'m going to go buy a pregnancy test today Tau. I was wanting to know if you wanting to be here when I used it or go with me to get it and come back," she said, blushing furiously at her words, which were a little rushed.

"I do have to say that I have enjoyed our little escapades here," a small grin appeared on her face, "but I feel a little strange, and I\'ve been getting a little sick the last few mornings." She snuggled closer to him, "Don\'t be angry please. I just don\'t how how you\'d react if I were pregnant." She looked up at his face. "What if we were to have children? And not just hypothetically this time."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
He was flabbergasted.  Sure, he\'d considered it - briefly - the first time they\'d mated, but the concern had passed when they\'d got so much more responsible the next few times... though... they hadn\'t been perfect, it was true.

Still, those other times he\'d been pretty certain he hadn\'t spilled any semen in her... pretty certain didn\'t account for her feeling odd and being sick in the mornings, though (truthfully, he had no idea what \'sick in the mornings\' meant as far as pregnancy went, but the ominous way in which she said it made him take it seriously).

"Well.  That would be... interesting," he said slowly, watching her as his mind raced.  Shifter babies... part snake, part cougar... would nature even allow that?  Shifters weren\'t natural, though, they were aberrant... perhaps Alacer wouldn\'t have one child, perhaps it really would be children and maybe they would- wait what was he even thinking?  They needed to be certain first, before any plans were made!

"I think you should probably go to a doctor, not just take a test.  An Oligarchy doctor.  If you are pregnant... well, how long does a rattlesnake stay pregnant?  A cougar takes about three months to have her kittens - and there can be one or two.  If you have rattlesnake shifters and cougar shifters in here, then... you could be having babies - or eggs? - at any time," he said fearfully, looking down at his hand resting upon her stomach as if it might explode beneath his very touch.

It made his head ache to think about it all; there was no way they could go to a human doctor, of course, but as far as he knew, the practitioners at the Oligarchy bordered on witchdoctors, not obstetricians.  They were looking damned if they did, damned if they didn\'t.

Luna Moon

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 01:07:54 AM »
Alec watched him as he contemplated having children. She knew he thought it would be interesting, she could practically see all the gears in his working full speed. Alec herself took a moment to think about it. Was it even possible for her to have cougar shifters? She didn\'t know if they would be some halfbreed shifters that were born from snake eggs but were cougars. She thought about if any of them could have inherited Tau\'s rapid aging. Then she stopped herself and listened to Tau as he said she should go to the doctor.

Alec\'s eyes went wide, "I don\'t want to go to a doctor, Tau. I really really don\'t like them." But she scooted over to him and buried her face in his singlet as she clutched it her. She was scared, but not having children. "Tau, that\'s how my mother died. She was giving birth to me, and I\'m a snake already. I\'m not scared of having the actual kids but I\'m scared if something goes wrong." Alec thought about all the things her dad had taught her about her species and all the stuff she had learned on her own.

"Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes gestate for six or seven months, so it depends on if they would come out as snake or cougar or both." She sighed and looked back up at Tau\'s face. "I\'ll go to the doctor, but do you want to go with me? You know to find out?" She knew she was being silly, but she didn\'t want to get the same news her mother did. She would have to take care of any possible children if anything happened to Tau with all his rapid aging.

Alec looked up at Tau with thoughtful eyes. "What if I am pregnant?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
He blinked at her final question, having agreed that he would go with her to the doctor with a rapidly inserted, "Of course!"  It seemed a strange thing for her to say - what if? - when the way they were both talking was as if it was already a done deal.  He got the impression she meant more than that, though, with that question.

"Then we will stay together and raise them," he told her, having already chosen her for his mate when they began coming together so frequently.  It was a given, as far as he was concerned, and emotion played no part, for him.  Duty and obligation did, and his desire for offspring was strong, so it all seemed very logical that they wouldn\'t part now, that they would teach their progeny how to survive as a parenting team should.

"Is that what you mean?  Or do you not want to have offspring?" he asked warily, pulling back so that he could see her face properly.

Luna Moon

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:52:24 AM »
Alec blinked a few times at his statement. "That\'s not whatwhat I\'m saying. God no. I want kids, really I do. I mean, I\'ve always wanted kids. I don\'t know if it\'s some sort of instinct engrained in shifters thanks to our animalistic instincts, but I\'ve always wanted them." Alec looked at Tau. "I know you still want them. I was just thinking that I wouldn\'t want anything to happen to them. I mean my mother died giving birth to me and all my brothers and sisters died as well, she had quite a few shifter babies. Twelve and I\'m the only survivor."

Alec shifted so she was laying on her back again. She looked down at her stomach and smiled. "Its kind of exciting isn\'t it? I mean you and me would have children." She put her hand on her stomach. "I did tell you though that I had difficulty believing in raising children in a home where the parents didn\'t love each other." She gave Tau a pointed look. "But I guess that can\'t be helped." She smiled again at Tau, a new excitement filling her. "When do we get to go to this doctor now?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
He listened to her fears about their potential offspring dying and finally found an emotion; fear gripped him, his gut turning at the thought that her bad genes would inflict a similar fate on any children they may have created.  Even if it had been an accident, now that the possibility existed that Alec was pregnant, his protective instincts were swinging into gear.  No harm would come to her, or to their progeny, if he could at all help it.

"Love would not make a difference," he told her, giving her an odd look.  He couldn\'t fathom any difference between loving her and being obligated by nature to protect her and nurture their children.  Either way, he would lay his own life on the line to give them everything they ever needed and stop anything that attempted to harm any of them with his own body.  He already had no sense of self, and they only sensed she was pregnant.  That sensation would only increase if (when) it became a reality.

"Get up and get yourself dressed.  You can come in to work with me and we will see if and when we can get an appointment," Tau told her briskly, getting up from his prone position.  He held a hand out towards Alec to help her get up though there was nothing gentle or sentimental about the action.  He was already on a mission.

~*~

Tau\'s car was there before they were both ready but the driver waited patiently, not batting an eye when Alacer accompanied Tau to the Chambers.  He held her hand because she seemed nervous and like she needed reassurance in the vast building - especially since he wasn\'t exactly sure where to go, at first.  Knowing the Oligarchy had a magical doctor practising in the building was one thing, but Tau had never had cause to visit him.

As it turned out, when they got to the appropriate rooms on the second lowest floor of the building, they found that the doctor was not a man at all, but a woman.  She introduced herself as Doctor Remei, her accent imposible for them to place, though Alacer would likely think it had Spanish nuances to it. She appeared to be a heavy-set black woman in her early fifties on first appearance, her dark hair falling in multitudes of tight dreadlocks to the middle of her back, the top section gathered and spun so that a portion of them spiked away from the back of her skull and fanned unevenly above her head.

She wore a flowing skirt beneath her white lab coat, with a thick black leather apron encircling her rounded middle and rubber boots on her feet.  Neither Tau nor Alacer asked about her outfit, however; they were both too taken aback by her eyes.  They were pure black, with no white, no iris, just smooth obsidian with no other definition.

She could obviously see alright, however, because she listened to their story with numerous nods and glances at Alec\'s stomach, before she led them out of the office where her desk was and through one of the five doors leading off it (one of which they\'d entered from the hall to get into the office in the first place) into an examination room.  Its exact resemblance to an everyday modern doctor\'s surgery, complete with a complicated gynecological examination chair likely put Alec\'s fears to rest, but aroused Tau\'s.  He stood by very uncomfortably as the table went from something Alec was lying on to a chair with her feet on the stirrup-style ends.

Bypassing the usual method of a blood test to confirm a pregnancy (and guided by Alec\'s professed worry over Tau\'s enhanced ageing), Doctor Remei went straight to an ultrasound, confessing she likely wouldn\'t find anything with the very new-looking machine, because Alec hadn\'t drunk the requisite amount of water... she fell quiet very soon after she began prodding the snake shifter\'s belly with the cold side of the probe, however.  It was unnerving, that she stopped talking so suddenly, and Tau stepped up beside her to peer at the viewing monitor she was staring so avidly at.  She kept tracing the same paths across Alec\'s stomach, likely causing her discomfort, but the cougar shifter could make no sense of it.

"What-" he began, but was stopped by a sternly raised index finger.  The doctor said nothing more and he wasn\'t game to but she stopped the probe passing back and forth a few minutes later and set about cleaning the equipment up.  Without saying anything, she then left the examination room (and Tau and Alec looking at each other in bewilderment) before she returned with a small mortar and pestle and what looked like a small tree branch poking out of it.  Standing between Alec\'s parted legs, she ground the branch down, ignoring the very strong smell of fresh vegetation filling the room, until she was satisfied.  She then smeared the paste she\'d made across Alec\'s stomach in random lines (ignoring the gel she\'d previously put there for the ultrasound to work smoothly) and placed the mortar and pestle aside.

She bent forward and peered at her handiwork for a minute in silence, and then she began chanting over it - low and quiet at first, sounding a bit like far-off rain falling on a distant tree - getting gradually louder and sounding more like she was saying words, even though they were in a language they didn\'t understand.  Her brown hands gravitated up and over the stomach, moving in circles in opposite directions before waving in a synchronised pattern left, right, up and down.  Suddenly, she stopped, nodded and straightened up, handing Alec some wet wipes and telling her she could clean up and accompany her out to the office.

Tau, left feeling somewhat bewildered, watched Alacer wipe at her goo-covered stomach, feeling useless and confused, and decided to follow Doctor Remei out of the room.  He re-took his former seat, on the opposite side of the desk to where the doctor sat, making notes in the file she\'d created for them.  When Alec joined him in her seat a few minutes later, the doctor still wrote until she was done and then she looked up, linking her fingers on top of the paperwork and looking at them very gravely.

"You weell hev far bebbies," she told them seriously.  "Two to be de\' sneeks, two to be de\' cets.  Tey weell be barn arltegeether in\'boot tree monts."  Suddenly, her serious countenance broke and she smiled, looking genuinely pleased as she looked from one to the other.

Tau - even though he\'d been expecting the news - looked somewhat dazedly at his partner.  "Two cats.  Two snakes.  In three months.  Well," he said, feeling somewhat stunned about such a specific diagnosis - he wondered if the doctor could tell them the sex of the babies - and unsure of how to react just yet.

Luna Moon

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 03:00:14 AM »
((OOC: I love the fact that she sounds like a Haitian voodoo witchdoctor to me. :D ))

Alec was nervous as they arrived at the Oligarchy\'s building. She had only been there one before when she had first met Tau, and made an effort to stay away from the building as much as possible. She was glad that Tau had held her hand as they tried to find out where the doctor was, it wasn\'t a lot but it was some reassurance. She really didn\'t want to go to a doctor, but she realized it was probably safest for whatever children may be living inside her. She had waited wwith anticipation as they finally made their way to the doctor\'s office, squeezing Tau\'s hand slightly as they went in.

The doctor herself did nothing to ease Alec\'s fears, but she was very polite and kind. The rubber boots and apron that Doctor Remei wore didn\'t help either, and Alec found herself looking from between them and her strange eyes at first. Alec was amazed at her eyes, pure black and having no apparent definition. Alec herself had some unusual eyes, but these did not cease to amaze her and somehow helped ease her fears. As she sat them down in her office area, she asked them the usual medical questions and those related to pregnancies. Alec told her about how she had been feeling and the concerns she had over Tau\'s rapid aging and their obvious differences in species.

After a few minutes of talking with Doctor Remei (and Alec\'s constant fascination with her eyes and accent) she led them through another door off of her office, Alec thinking that she was glad to be there with the doctor and Tau, otherwise she would be hopelessly lost. When she led them through the door, it revealed an examination chair used by gynecologists. Alec was still very nervous and a little scared, her senses didn\'t work well in this sterile environment and all she could smell was medicine and some sort of gel that they spread on women\'s stomach\'s to do ultrasounds. As the doctor led her to the chair and started to put the gel on her stomach, Alec wrinkled her sensitive nose closed her mouth tightly as the gel was put on her belly to slide around an ultrasound. As the doctor slid over the same patterns on Alec\'s stomach over and over again, causing her to squirm slightly in the chair.

Doctor Remei worried her slightly when she implied for Tau to be quiet, stopping talking in mid-sentence. When she just stood up and left, Alec\'s fears elavated again. Alec looked at Tau with a baffled expression and found that he wore one similar as she left. Alec\'s face was worried as they exchanged glances and she mouthed What the hell? The doctor came back into the room with some sort of mixture in a mortar with a pestle sticking out of it, the smell strong to Alec with her mouth open. She quickly closed it and felt like she had to sneeze. As the doctor came to her and started putting it on her stomach, Alec\'s nervousness became apparent  as she stared at the doctor between her legs.

As the doctor\'s chanting became louder, Alec grabbed Tau\'s hand quickly and pulled him to her side again, watched the doctor with nervous eyes. When she gave Alec some tissues and told her to join her in her office, Tau followed her out and Alec jumped down lightly from the chair and walked back into the office where they had been before.

When the doctor had told them that she will have four children, two snakes and two cubs. Tau looked like Alec felt at the moment---bewildered. She shook her head as she thought. "Um...wow. That\'s amazing that you could find out all of that. Um, do you know if they\'ll be boys or girls? Will they be human when they come...well, out? I mean, I don\'t know a lot about shifters having children, truth be told. I\'m just confused about this entire process." Alec looked over to Tau. "Do you know if they\'ll age normally once they\'re born? I mean, will you know when they\'re born?" Alec was bewildered though she knew she probably was pregnant, knowing that she is now, she was a little bewildered, but still excited.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »
The doctor looked at Alec\'s belly for a moment, her lips pressed together as the flood of questions assaulted her, then she looked up into the pregnant woman\'s eyes.

"Dey weell be barn as humans bot thees weell tek a gret toll on yar body - eet\'s not narmal fer a human woman to hev far beebies grow in har beelly in four monts.  You weell likely be in gret pen troughout as the greedy beebies sock the life from you, growing so fast.  You weell need to eat well and often," she nodded, leaning forward in her seat and beginning to write.

"Ah do not know de sexes of de beebies - dat weell be all ar surprises on de day you com here to hev dem.  Here are som foods you need to eat to keep you all strong.  If no-ting goes wrong, I\'ll see you next on dat day - oterwise, com to me as soon as der is de prolem, yes?" she enquired, holding a piece of paper out towards Tau simply because he could reach it the easiest.

Looking at it, he believed it to be a list of foods that Alacer should eat, though they didn\'t recognise many of the words on it (mostly because they were vegetables he would later find out).  Trying to be helpful, he raised the next point that occurred to him.  "Should we make an appointment?  You know... for another visit?"

"No need," the doctor told him abruptly.

Not to be deterred, he thought of something else.  "Well, do you have a number we should call?  For when the babies are coming, to let you know that we are on our way?"

"I\'ll know."

"How?" he queried, in a manner more curious than it was mocking (though there was an element of that in there, too).

"De Gods weell tell me."

The answer was so succinct and abrupt, he ran out of any other questions.  Apparently, it was their job to just stay healthy, grow the babies and turn up when Alacer started to feel them coming, for their doctor would somehow know.  And she\'d be here.

The cat shifter stood up, ready to walk them out of the office.  "Well, thank you for your time, doctor, I think that has answered all our questions?" he told her, though he was looking at his partner, prompting her to ask anything she wanted to ask now, before they left.  It seemed that they wouldn\'t need to come back here or ask anything else until the birthing day, after all.

Luna Moon

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
Alec\'s was a little worried at the doctor\'s answers to her questions, especially the part about her body taking a toll. Instinctually Alec didn\'t really care about what happened to her as long as her offspring were born all right. Even though she was worried and a little unnerved that the doctor would know when she was ready to birth, Alec had full confidence in the strange-accented woman in front of her. Alec was ready to go when Tau stood up and she shook her head as he asked if she had anymore questions. She stood and shook the doctor\'s hand and smiled at her, "Thank you doctor. For all your time here today. I guess the next time I will see you is when I\'m ready." Alec walked back to Tau and they went outside of the door and back into the elevator. Alec couldn\'t help the look of amazement and wonder on her face as she looked down at her stomach while standing in the elevator.

She rubbed her hand over her stomach, which was smooth and flat for now. As she thought about it and all of the conversations that she and Tau had had about having children. They had changed her mind in a few circumstances but she was excited now. She really was going to have children, two of them snakes like her and two of them cougar cubs like Tau. She couldn\'t help the genuine smile that broke across her face when she thought about it all. She looked up at Tau beside her. "We\'re going to have children Tau. Two snakes and two cubs." Alec more or less said it to make it more real for her, she was still trying to grasp it. As her smile returned, she felt like kissing him. Instead she opted for a hug, not caring if she was scaring him, and grabbed him around his shoulders, having to jump a little to make it, but she knew he was strong enough not to be bothered by her slight weight.

She still had her arms around him as she thought more about it. Where were they going to put four cribs in his apartment? How were they going to get all of this stuff that they needed to take care of children. She didn\'t even Tonia what they would eat, like humans or like animals? She didn\'t voice these thoughts out loud, instead keeping them to herself while she soaked in the reaility of what they just found out, the reality of her having children. In three months no less!

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »
He smiled as he hugged her, finding it was just easier to pick her slight weight up and not hurt his back from bending down to ensure her feet were on the carpet.  "I know... it is going to be very... interesting," he offered, wondering if he was trying to reassure himself or her.

When the elevator doors opened, he set Alec on her feet and walked out to the foyer of the Chambers with her, taking only a few steps onto the marble before he turned and looked down at her.

"Will you be alright to travel back to the apartment by yourself?" he enquired politely, feeling obligated to remain at work and do some work now that he was here... though he also felt bad about hearing the news that the pair of them were going to have numerous children together and simply sending her off.

Luna Moon

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:26 AM »
Alec watched as the doors opened and she stepped out, letting go of Tau. She was a little disappointed that he was going to stay at work, she was a little unsettled herself and nervous and excited all at once. She didn\'t like the feeling of all these emotions and it was making her a little nauseous. Her disappointment showed on her face as she replied. "I guess so...." she said looking down then back up at him. "Are you going to stay and work some more? When will you be back?"

Her disappointment was more obvious than she would have liked and a tinge of anger went through her, more true to her character than anything the past few days. In all honesty, she was a little hurt that he would send her back all by herself, but she had to remember that this was Tau, and he didn\'t tend to think like a human.