Author Topic: A Sigh of Relief  (Read 15162 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
A Sigh of Relief
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:54:34 AM »
Reserved for CK

He must have been staring at his alarm clock for nearly six hours, waiting to start his day. It had been another sleepless night and, honestly, he didn\'t really remember any of the shows that he watched on TV, any of the commercials that he liked, how many goddamned sheep he tried to count -- he could have sworn there were goats there too, oddly enough. He only remembered the progression of the clock through the day.

3:29. 3:43. 3:56. 4:01. 4:16. 4:45. 4:47. 4:50. 5:13. 5:24. 5:30. 5:30. 6:15. 7:45. 8:03. 9:45. 10:11. 11:11. Make a wish.

He was tired of wishing to sleep, so he just wished for work to come faster as he laid in bed for hours. Anyone else would have loved the time to themself. He just wanted to sleep. When he finally got out of bed at five in the afternoon and looked at himself in the mirror, he could see the time in his face. His eyes were dark again -- like usual, he thought to himself with a sigh -- but they looked wide-awake in a weird kind of way that he couldn\'t describe. He looked half-asleep but felt wide awake. Perfect, he thought to himself and stepped into the shower.

It never took him long to get ready, his outfit simple and his hair cooperative. For the twelve-block walk to work -- because he knew very well he\'d be taking it all off once he got to the Pompeii -- he had chosen a pair of faded jeans that fit moderately well and a navy blue tee. He fed his three fish and left the apartment behind him for the night, despite not having to be at work for another two hours.

It was a night that was really no different than any other summer night in the city. The air was warm enough to make him leave his khaki jacket at home and enjoy the late afternoon. The streets were moderately filled with people, none of which bothered him as he made his way down to the Pompeii, lost in reluctant and bitter thought of his own personal life.

If there was one thing in life that Quinn Patenaude hated, it was a bad relationship and despite his best efforts on his walk, he couldn\'t rid the thought of John\'s ridiculous ideology from his mind. Unfortunately for him, he couldn\'t distract himself with the passing cars and loud cell phone conversations of the city. Instead he kept wondering at what second John would call him to see if he had actually gotten up and out for work. With only a touch of guilt, Quinn turned his phone on silent as he reached the front steps of the Pompeii, the only male strip club for gentlemen in the entire state.

Like clockwork, his mood lifted slightly as he walked through the club, the familiar sight of the stage almost like home to him. The music in the club had already started, though no one but the staff was there yet. The marble-faced columns throughout the club throbbed and pulsed with the bass of the music. He was overwhelmed by the sound for only a few moments before his ears and eyes became accustomed to his home. As always the club smelled like stale sweat, cigarettes, and a slight animalistic scent of men\'s arousal. In his opinion, there was no better job in the world -- despite what any uneasy boyfirend said. On a good night, Quinn walked around with wood all night long, teasing patrons and getting paid for it. Stripping was better than arguing, better than dealing with differences in intelligent opinions, better than biting his tongue as someone claimed that they loved him and that everything in Quinn\'s life would be better if he just got out of this wretched city. He wasn\'t good at biting his tongue, wasn\'t good with emotion, wasn\'t great with empathy.

Dancing for him was simple: give a guy a hard-on and get money for it. There was no such thing as tip-toeing around a subject, only the bluntness of a man\'s desires spoken loudly and with a hungry voice. There were no requests for love, only the want of fulfillment. There were no pillow-talk desires of a better life away from stripping, only horny requests to take it all off. There was dick and ass, hollering and hip twisting, moaning and drinks and music: only things that had to do with pleasure and having fun. There was everything he had always understood in life, no matter what.

No one needed a college degree to give a guy head, or make him hard. In stripping there was no guesswork, no gray area, no anger or frustration that couldn\'t be worked out by a skilled mouth or hand by the end of the night. For Quinn, those world were completely different.

He waved to his co-workers in the pit, standing on the stage, washing the bar before he headed backstage for a little while. Quinn was early and he knew it. The human sat down at his portion of the counter and ate his dinner -- an apple and an energy bar -- watching the other dancers prepare themselves for the night. Without thinking about it, he took out his phone to text his partner in crime, his best friend Tommy. Like an idiot, he had forgotten all about John and almost fell into a trap of anger when he saw that his -- sigh, boyfriend -- had called him several times, leaving two new voice messages and a text message.

Hey baby, I\'m out of work now. I miss you. Dinner when you\'re out tonight? Love me.
Without responding, Quinn tapped away at the letters, planning on getting Tommy in sooner.

CAN I JUS KILL MYSELF NOW, PLS? HES DRIVIN ME UP A FUCKIN WALL, TOM.
And within seconds Quinn was smiling.

U kill urself, ill b pissed @ u nd kill the both of u. especially him. so no, u fail @ life. im in @ 6. so STFU! ily! : D

Oh eat me : D.

And Quinn flipped his phone shut. It was already quarter of six. Surely it wouldn\'t take him so long to get in. He only lived about seven blocks away. And he had a damn car.

Tommy was the one person who kept him sane. Two and a half years younger and twice as fiery, the boy was like a brother to the human, perfectly platonic, despite all the times Quinn had seen him naked and had his hands around varying parts of his body. So when the boy finally arrived at the club at ten past six, he gave Quinn a look that screamed "grow a set and tell John to fuck off".

"So what happened?"

"He wants to do dinner after I get out."

"At eleven? Really? Will he even be fucking awake?"

"Probably not," Quinn smiled, undressing finally and getting ready for the night next to Tommy. They were both designated to wait tables and serve the liquor. Stripping was for the weekends.

"So what did you say to him?" Tommy demanded, tucking himself inside of his toga. When Quinn didn\'t respond except to blush and turn away, Tommy said, "Don\'t tell me you said yes."

"I didn\'t say anything."

"FUCKING A, QUINN! TELL HIM NO!"

"Keep your voice down, please. God knows I don\'t need Randy knowing any of my personal life."

"I\'m going to kill you," Tommy said fiercely, picking up his calf-high sandals putting them on, his chest highly oiled already.

"Blow me, ok? Let\'s get out there before we both get yelled at. I told Hank I\'d start as soon as you got here." Quinn said, strapping on his toga over his shoulder. Whispering to each other, they walked into the main part of the club, a few patrons finding spots as the show was about to begin on the stage.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Re: A Sigh of Relief
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:21:27 PM »
It was a little passed eight by the time the vampire arrived at the club.  After feeding, he didn’t have any other plans for the night and he sure as hell wasn’t going to spend it home—alone.

Jeremiah thought he looked hot, though he hadn’t taken all that much care in the selection of his clothing.  His distressed jeans hung low on his hips by a brown leather belt and he had thrown on a black-with-white-pinstripes button-up before leaving his apartment.  Nothing particularly special, but he didn’t have to try to look good.  It just fucking happened.

He hadn’t had much opportunity to go out by himself lately.  Not with the band’s recent show and, as a result, permanent booking.  Malakai had been on his ass about practice, making sure everything was abso-fucking-lutely perfect.  Not that Jerry would have minded that much about having anyone on his ass—but that was a different story.

No, he hadn’t been to the club for about a week and a half.  And anyone who knew him—and that was everyone—would have noticed he was absent.  Whether or not they would have cared was an entirely different issue.  Not that Jerry would have noticed either way.

He greeted the bartender warmly as soon as he passed by, offhandedly ordering two drinks to be delivered at his table and continued walking.  They were both alcoholic, despite the fact that the Pompeii served blood.  They weren’t for him; they were for Quinn.  Obviously.  Well, at least one of them was.  It was something of a routine for the vampire, to buy drinks that he wasn’t going to drink and flirt with whoever the fuck served them to him.  Quinn—for whatever reason—refused to be anything but hard-to-get.  This never discouraged the vampire.  

There was a decent amount of people scattered about, mostly gathered around the stage drooling over the performers and their drinks.   It wasn’t extremely crowded tonight—at least, not nearly as crowded as the club became on the weekends.  Jerry didn’t generally come for the crowds, if he wanted that he would have gone to Risk.  The Pompeii was nothing like Risk, in fact he preferred it to the notorious vampire nightclub.  It was a lot cleaner.  Besides, he practically knew everyone that worked here.  Who went to Risk to socialize, anyway?

There was already a smile on his face as he sat at one of the dark wood tables that were situated near the stage.  Like a king he leaned back and put both feet up on the table with his legs crossed, waiting for his drinks to be delivered to the table.  He loved fucking with the waiters.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »
"Get your feet off the table," Quinn demanded playfully as he walked up to Jerry with the two drinks, pulling his feet down for him as he passed. He smiled at the vampire, leaning over him to put the drinks down on the table before crossing to take his seat next to him. "Hank knows you by name and I swear to god he will kick you out in the same manner as he did last year!"

It was something of a routine for The Pompeii to see Jeremiah Peterson; he visited the club like it was going out of style. He knew all the staff by first and last name, a feat that not even Quinn himself could claim. The bouncers saw him coming, waived the cover charge and slapped him five as he walked through the columns. And when he got in, he sat down rambunxiously at one of three tables -- this one, one at the stage, or one at the bar, depending upon which one was free at the moment. Quinn, also, had become accustomed to his presence in the club and had -- more or less -- come to appreciate his visits. Everyone had become used to his presence, though it disturbed some more than others that nearly twice a week there was the same pale, gorgeous, aggravating Jerry watching everyone at work.

Quinn had absolutely no problem with it. Jerry was funny and broke up the monotony of a boring night with ease. He was nice to look at and imagine naked, with a personality and a half. He was never serious or depressing or even very polite. He was simply Jerry, and Quinn wouldn\'t have it any other way.

"So where the hell have you been?" Quinn asked normally, no hint of flirtation in his voice whatsoever, taking a sip at the drink Jerry ordered for him. "I feel like I haven\'t seen you in weeks and everyone here knows that\'s not normal."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »
"Oh, fuck you, I\'ll do what I want."  Jerry playfully retorted, putting his feet back up after Quinn had taken a seat.  He was pretty sure that Hank had given up on kicking him out of the club unless he was doing something terribly wrong - which he wasn\'t.  Not yet anyway.  

"We just landed some weekly-show gig up at the White Rabbit."  He paused to glance briefly at one of the dancers on stage.  "I\'ve been Malakai\'s little bitch lately,"  he sighed, looking back at Quinn with a smirk.

"So I\'ve had no free time to come by here as often as I would like.  I don\'t know why he thinks I need practice.  I\'m already the fucking best."  Jerry grinned.

"Besides, we already fucking tried out for the spot and got it.  I don\'t know what he\'s so worried about."
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
"Malakai," he said taking another, larger sip of the vodka drink in his hand. "That\'s the lead singer, right?" He had never met anyone else in the band before. For a while when Quinn had first met Jerry, he doubted that there was even a band. Quinn would just nod and go along with it and take Jeremiah\'s seemingly-endless flow of money. It wasn\'t until Quinn had actually started to see Jerry as a friend did it actually dawn on him that this arrogant asshole wasn\'t lying about it.

"The White Rabbit? Is that that new place that popped up a couple of months ago?" Quinn said, sucking on an ice cube and keeping an eye on the front of the club to make sure that he wasn\'t ignoring anyone who might walk into the club. As always, he brushed over Jerry\'s pomp with the usual that\'s-just-Jerry attitude. No one could ever take him too seriously. "How did that happen? You guys getting a gig and all that?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »
"Yeah, I told you this before, didn\'t I?"  Jerry made a face.  "Mal\'s the lead singer, there\'s Thor on drums, Kim on the keyboard or synth or whatever the fuck he\'s doing that night, and Zach - my brother - with the bass."  

"The White Rabbit did just open up.  Some vampire chick owns the place.  She\'s kind of a fucking prude."  Jerry snickered.  "Thor, as usual, did all the legwork as far as setting up our first date.  Mal must\'ve sucked some dick and we got a regular show."  He laughed loudly.

"Seriously though, you should pop by some Friday after work.  It\'s in central city.  

But enough about me,"  He took his feet off the table and leaned slightly toward Quinn with an elbow on the table.  His complete fucking attention.  "What\'s been going on with you?"

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
"Fuck, Jerry, I don't listen to you! You know that!" Quinn smiled at him. "There are just too many weird names in your band; Malakai, Zachariah, Jeremiah! I remembered Thor though. Who could forget a name like Thor?

"God," he sighed, feigning defeat. "You're just too old and your names are just too complicated for my simple, modern brain."

And to his slightly flirtatious comment about stopping by to see him play and his proceeding comment about how things were going, Quinn simply finished his drink and put the glass down on the table. He could take Jerry's big head, his ridiculous advances, his bluntness in any subject, and his king-of-the-world attitude, but when it came right down to it Quinn couldn't deal with his caring side. It was the side that he never showed a one-night-stand, never in public. It was a side that seemed, at least to Quinn, relatively human. And it was one of Jeremiah's better sides.

Resisting both the faintest of reddening in his very pale cheeks with a glaring smirk and a deep sigh, Quinn looked back at the stage. "Nothing much. Same as always." He lied. He wasn't one to expose himself, even to someone as close to him like Jerry was. It made no difference, though, and Quinn knew that. The vampire had known him for long enough to know when he was lying.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
"Oh please,"  the vampire rolled his eyes.  "I can smell that lie in your blood."  Jerry cleared his throat, putting the second glass in front of the human.

"Which means something\'s wrong."  His voice almost became serious for a moment and there was a flash of genuine concern on his face.  As much of a dick he could be, Jerry wasn\'t about to let a friend mope around all night.  It just wasn\'t healthy.  Besides, Quinn especially wasn\'t any fun with things on his mind.

"What\'s going on, kid.  And don\'t waste my time by lying \'cause I\'m not stupid."  he smiled.

"It\'s probably boy trouble,"  he sighed playfully and over-exaggerated.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
He threw another spiteful glare at him as he took the drink. There was a long moment where the human wrestled with whether or not he was going to lie, or tell him an abridged version of the truth or just go and work at another table. When he finally answered, it was the same thing that he constantly vented to the vampire about.

"John wants me to stop stripping. He brought it up again. Because appearantly he loves me and that should be reason enough for me to love him and marry him and live out his little fantasy life." His lips drew into a tight line and his eyes stayed on the stage as Randy flashed his ass to a couple of drooling old men. Feeling shitty for even saying anything, the human took another long gulp of the second drink and ignored the way it warmed his stomach.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
"That shit again?"  Jerry shook his head.  "It doesn\'t even seem like he cares about what you want."  As long as he had known Quinn, the human always seemed to have \'boy trouble\'.  The one before this one had caused quite the commotion - even inside the club.  It was enough to make him feel bad for the kid.  

"If you ask me, I don\'t know why you keep dating douche bags."  Jerry said with a note of finality.  The vampire didn\'t date precisely for this reason.  He wasn\'t into the whole drama shit.  Other people\'s drama he could deal with.  He was a nice fucking person.  But all the fucking in the world wasn\'t worth the trouble that this kid put up with.  

"I\'m sick of seeing you upset."  He said it offhandedly, though with a friendly smile.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »
Quinn smirked wryly. "Thanks Jerry," he said with a thick layer of sarcasm.

"I dunno, I guess they're all attracted to me. Though I can't sit here and put John in the same category of 'douchebag' as Mike was. That kid was re-fucking-diculous.

"I mean at least John doesn't get angry." He said, remember all of the times when Mike, a former, had made an ass of himself and Quinn in public. The fights, the booze, the restraining order. "John just gets upset and tries to brush over everything like it\'s all fine. Fine, fine fine.

"No, everything just has to be fucking perfect for John. I\'m fucking sick of it," Quinn said wearily, checking the doors again to see if he had to get back to work instead of shooting the shit with his favorite customer. He downed the rest of the drink and felt the beginnings of a good buzz starting.

"So, how long are you staying tonight?" Quinn asked, needing a subject change before he started to think about it too much.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »
Oh, he\'d get him to spill everything eventually.  It always happened like this.  

"As long as I want."  His feet returned to the tabletop.  "I\'m all by my lonesome for the rest of tonight.  And there\'s nothing I would rather do than spend the evening with my favorite person."  The vampire grinned.  "Even if he is a bit miserable.

"You up to anything in particular tonight or are you just going to condemn me to solitude after your shift ends?"  Cue puppy-dog-eyes.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »
"Aww aren\'t you cute?" Quinn smiled at him. "But for the last time, Jerry, I\'m not sleeping with you."

Despite his being an asshole and his inability to hold a relationship longer than a few hours, Jerry was a good guy and everyone who knew him knew that. Sure he slept with anything that moved with no emotional attachment to anything at all and sure he always said his dick was the longest, hardest, fattest etc, in the entire world, but deep down -- somewhere, Quinn thought bitterly -- he was a good guy. And if it was a choice between Jerry and John, he\'d take Jerry in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, he also had that intolerably cute side to help him charm just about anything with a heartbeat. God knows it had gotten Jerry out of a couple of close calls, even in the club. Quinn proceeded to smack him in the head.

"Well supposedly I\'m having dinner with John after work, but considering he has to be in work for six, I doubt he\'s gonna be up when I get back. So I dunno. I might make you give me a ride back to my apartment." There was a smirk playing across his lips as he mirrored the vampire and put his feet up on the table.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
"Who said anything about sleeping with me?"  the vampire feigned surprise. "I mean, if that\'s all you\'re thinking about right now than I don\'t see why you keep denying yourself the opportunity."  He flashed a charming smile.

"But instead of allowing yourself to give into the temptation to cheat on your boyfriend who doesn\'t give a fuck about what you want, why don\'t you chill out for a couple hours with me."  Jerry paused before adding with a note of seriousness.  "Because no offense, kid, it seems like you need more than a couple of drinks."

Jerry did push buttons, but he never pushed them all that far.  He wasn\'t about to try to convince the human to do something that he didn\'t think that Quinn wanted to do in the first place.  And if his intuition spoke correctly, there was more bugging the stripper than he was letting on.

"And I doubt that Mr. Douche-bag Falls-asleep-at-seven-o\'-clock Perfect will be waiting at the table for you with a seven course meal.  Why subject yourself to the disappointment?"

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
"Because I should," he said without thinking and then immediately felt like an idiot. "He\'ll be upset if I don\'t at least tell him what I\'m doing. He\'s assuming that because I usually would tonight."

He did need more than a couple of drinks and the idea of going out somewhere with Jerry and having fun was extremely tempting, despite what John would undoubtedly think if he knew. Not for the first time in this relationship Quinn was caught between truly not caring about his boyfriend and his stupid, maddening emotional needs, and trying to make everything go smoothly for the sake of his own sanity. He found himself caught at an impass.

"I don\'t want to go back to John\'s after my shift but I dunno if it would be a good idea if you kidnapped me for a while. I might like the freedom too much," he said wryly.