Poll

Should Infusco jump into the future by 5 years?

ure!  Sounds great.  5 Years ahead we go.
5 (38.5%)
hile we\'re at it, why not jump ahead 10 years?
0 (0%)
MG, can\'t we just leave it how it is?  I don\'t want no steenking future jump.
1 (7.7%)
 years is a bit drastic, how about we jump 2, and leave it at that?
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: POLL: Taking Infusco into the future  (Read 6348 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
POLL: Taking Infusco into the future
« on: February 05, 2011, 05:56:22 AM »
Hello everyone

I\'ve been thinking about shaking this up, in an attempt to breathe new life into old storylines.

EO and I have made a dramatic change with our main characters, and yet we still don\'t write as we should.  The motivation to explore is gone, probably because we know the storyline and don\'t really want to write it, instead of exploring random things and being spontaneous.

Well, I\'m going to try and help all of us in that respect.

I want to jump the Infusco setting five years into the future.

Yep, that\'s right, a mere five years, so that way the humans don\'t change that much, but they can alter their character\'s current situation in many, many ways.  As can the vampires.  And you don\'t need a lead up, you can do it with the start of a single RP, or if, like me, you rely heavily on the input of another RPer, you can discuss through PMs what the new deal is between your characters, and start playing that?  Maybe enemies have made friends, become love/hate lovers, or one of them killed the other!  Maybe the Oligarchy is being threatened with a takeover bid.  (Please don\'t RP that you\'ve taken down the Oligarchy, though I\'m open to new setting ideas provided they DON\'T put the city into a long war setting forcing everyone to choose sides).

Reveal your opinions to me below in my shiny poll. :D SHINY!

I\'ve left ALL options available to you, so if you\'re happy with 2, or 5, or 10 year jumps, you can select them all.

Any comments, please post in this thread.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Taking Infusco into the future
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
Personally, I\'m for the two year gap instead of five because it\'s enough time for some setting and character changes, but not so far that the world will have changed in unpredictable ways.

Unless we\'re going to pretend that stuff like cellphones haven\'t really gone anywhere in the jump?

Before I vote, I\'d like to find that out, actually. Technology and fashion change drastically in two-to-ten year periods. Will we play it like the time\'s passed, but the world\'s the same? Or will we need to guesstimate where computers, cellphones, cars, clothes, etc have gone in that period?

Saccharin

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »
Will we play it like the time\'s passed, but the world\'s the same? Or will we need to guesstimate where computers, cellphones, cars, clothes, etc have gone in that period?

I think it\'d be easier to say time has passed in the city itself, but the setting remains the same. With how rapidly things change (particularly technology), it might be difficult to do any guesstimating unless we plan on moving Infusco beyond a modern setting.

/opinion

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »
A five or two year jump would make it easier for me to slip back in. It\'s been seeming a bit daunting which has made me reluctant despite wanting to and knowing how welcoming you all are to slackers.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:30 AM »
I say five. Technology will not be so out of reach we cant fake it. Think Iphone 7, or Windows 10. Mac OX Snow Wolf. You get the picture. Also, on a personal note it will let the New Oligarchy have firmly established its power and therefore Jake will no longer be a new face in the city. The White Rabbit will have a following. Etc Etc.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Saccharin

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:21:39 AM »
In roughly five years, a large percentage of people shifted from using cell phones to smart phones. The shift from people using cell phones instead of beepers was just as quick. A lot has completely changed in the span of five years, what would prevent that trend from continuing?

If we start faking our world setting or writing for the future, I believe there is a strong possibility for inconsistencies from one person to the next. Why not just move the individual stories forward, but leave pop culture references/current events/technology the same?

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
I\'m for two. My characters are pretty extreme people (barring Sabs, which is... odd, in itself) and it\'s pretty difficult for me to say where they\'ll be in five years.

Offline RPC Admin

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Wordsmith
    • View Profile
    • Roleplay City
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
SATYR SAYS:

With the setting jump, the technology debate is moot.  We can jump 5 years and just write that technology is the same as it is now.  I don\'t start my rps with the words "the date is February in 2010" so we can do our future jump invisibly in that respect.  It\'s fiction, so we can jump 5 years into the future from today\'s date, to today\'s date.  Amazing stuff, huh?!  Or, if you have a *twitch-issue-twitch* with that, you can pretend we\'ve been RPing in 2006 so far.  I agree with Billiam in this case.  Even though I\'m typing this on my iPad, the world hasn\'t really changed in the past 5 years.

I\'m going to mostly follow poll results anyway.  If most of you want 2 years and don\'t want 5, then so be it.  5 gives more freedom for bigger changes.  A change will likely be made next week, with an announcement.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
I vote two.

In five years I\'d lose at least half of my characters and I really don\'t want to do that yet. Two years would give CK and I enough of a motivation boost that things might actually get written better and the action would be more for us. Five years, for our storylines at the very least, is a bit too drastic. Nikolai and Sonya would be out of the picture, Damien and Rachel would be on COMPLETELY different terms and a few of my humans would be vampires if we were to jump that much. Not to mention it would be as confusing as FUCK for anyone to follow the storylines (not that its easy now, I know).

Five is just too long. I would lose my favorite royal couple to roleplay with.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 02:01:59 PM »
Sai, Emily, those reasons for 2 years carry a lot of weight with me, so it\'s very likely going to be a 2 year advance.

Risk should be open again, but it\'s likely going to have changed owners once again, my Sacramentum just didn\'t get going (my fault).

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
  • Write with no boundaries.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
Billy and I were talking about this and he had mentioned that there should be a set date that the timeline of infusco would officially and permanently jump 2 years.  So this way everyone has time to finish up storylines and/or leave cliffhangers for the jump before everything switches. It made sense to me but I mean of course I’ll go with whatever happens. :D
INFUSCO: Scott / Blake / Parker
ZOMBIE MANIA: Christian / Joel
HALFLIGHT: Mason

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
I guess I\'m just too aware of technology.

Most players describe what their character is wearing. I describe what kind of phone they have as part of that. Guess I\'m the odd one out.

I\'ll just play like the brand-new-on-the-private-market crazy tech is now affordable and available, that takes about two years to reach consumers from the exclusive reaches of the inner circles.

I mean, it\'s already around, it\'s just not really in retail stores.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:37 AM »
Whatever you want to do, RWW, is fine with me.  Same goes for you, Cowboy.  RP as you wish.

I really don\'t care if the technology and fashion is different from one RPer to the next.  I\'m fairly sure nobody will RP that their characters are going to be driving around in hover-cars and microwaving dinner pills.

The fashion that people wear can be outrageous and still not bat an eye in our city, because the entire city is made up of mostly unique individuals that wear their own stuff.  I believe Digital is running around town in a white mink coat and a tall Dr Seuss hat.

I will be making one or two big inventive change(s) to lifestyle in the future jump, however, which I will explain.

It\'s looking like a two year jump, thanks to the poll.  :)