Author Topic: The Sea and the Sirens  (Read 10889 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
The Sea and the Sirens
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
Jake McCloud stood on the top of the Herring Point Cliffs. He was imagining what sunrise would look like. It was hard to admit, but in his over two-hundred and fifty years as a vampire, he\'d forgotten what the sun looked like, when it rose over the horizon. He\'d seen pictures, movies and art. It was these images he was using to imagine. He remembered one thing about the sunrise. He remembered that it was always different. The shades of orange, red, and purple would create a piece of splendid art on the soft, dewy grass or the rigid, firm rocks. Ireland was a long way aways from the city. Sunrise was a long way away too.

It was Jake\'s night off from his full time job as a ruler of the city. His job was secure. Well, Jake at least felt secure. He felt like he finally knew what he was doing. This was something that had taken about a year to kick in. He was still lousy at paperwork. Vomas seemed to be good at that part of the job. Jake had no idea if his fellow Oligarch was or not, but he assumed he was based on the fact that everything always got done.

Jake the Ventrue was a happy father of two. He had a girl and a boy, and they both made him proud. The boy\'s name is Scott. Scott is a Toreador and the child of a vampire named Jonathan. Jake had taken the vampire as his charge after Jonathan\'s death. They\'d been inseparable ever since. The girl\'s name is Sam. Sam is Jake\'s child by blood. She is her sire\'s daughter. Stubborn, hotheaded, yet smart and caring, Jake had grown to love his child. She\'d trained hard the last two years and was slowly becoming an amazing kindred in her own right. The two still often disagreed, and Jake was no stranger to giving executive sire orders regarding Sam\'s behavior. But this had lessened. They had learned to love one another. Better than that, they\'d learned to respect each other.

Conner was still living in Dante\'s, and although Scott had moved out of Jake\'s guest room he hadn\'t left the building. He was living with Conner, and although Jake mostly let them have their privacy, he knew enough to know that they were in love. Jake was happy for them. Benny was still in the picture. He constantly delighted on pissing off the Oligarchy\'s other main spy, the elder Brianna. Benny could out sneak, out snoop and out stealth any vampire in the city. Jake was proud of this fact. He had good people.

Jake\'s life was going very well. He was happy. His little family was happy. All was well with the Anarch Baron. Peace doesn\'t last forever. Jake\'s peace was about to end. Life was once again going to be drowning with difficulties. Jake looked out toward the cliffs and heard the sound of a woman singing. His keen vampire sight picked up a human girl singing on the beach. Her voice was lovely. Jake was entranced. He could have listened to the mortal girl sing all night. His concentration was broken however. Something was coming that would require his focus. So it goes.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Luna Moon

Re: The Sea and the Sirens
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:29:54 AM »
Life was getting harder for Eva. The stupid Suprenaturals that kept running her business away had finally been driven off by the Oligarchy, which she was increasingly grateful for. However, that didn\'t stop the ones who were already gone to stay that way. She was weary as she walked on the cliffs, but it was one of the only ways she could clear her head. She would never let anyone see her cry, but alone on the cliffs a few lone tears made their way down her face. She could always disappear into the dream world but she hated to do that and lose this body for however long it would take her to find another. She had been in this body for quite a while now and wasn\'t quite ready to leave just yet. She carefully walked up some rocky areas of the cliffs and then levelled out. She looked into the night and the areas around her. Looking at the moon she made her little wish for everything to get better. She looked at all the stars twinkling above her and thought of night and dreams. After a while she turned and continued her walk. She sensed someone else as she came up to another section of the cliffs.

Eva saw the vampire as she walked along the cliffs. She had met him once before at the Oligarchy and almost had her head off during the encounter. His name was Jake McCloud, she could remember that much, and he was a vampire. She wiped at her face to hopefully get rid of her tears. She walked slowly, knowing that he could hear her. She watched her feet as she walked, pulling the over shirt around her as she came closer to the vampire. Eva looked up at him when she was about 20 feet away and gave a small smile. "Her voice is lovely isn\'t it, Mr. McCloud?" She was a little wary as she stood on the cliff beside the vampire.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:15 AM »
Jake was instantly startled.

Who the fuck can sneak up on a vampire as old as I am, Jake thought as he whipped around to face the speaker.

The voice belonged to a tired, yet pretty friend. Her name was Eva Knox. Jake had been interracial to solving a conspiracy that involved a cult who was trying to destroy the cities Fae population. Eva had been the first of many to come forward and seek help. Jake had seen to the cult\'s demise. Eva hadn\'t fared well. She looked tired, almost broken. Jake wondered if there was something he could do or say.

"Miss Knox," Jake began. "You look fantastic!" The lie was weak, but it was meant straight from the heart as something to make the nightmare feel better.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Luna Moon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
Eva laughed, something that hadn\'t done truly in quite a while. She looked at Jake and walked closer while speaking. "Well, okay then...Thanks." She walked up to him and stood next to him. She had to give him points for trying. She knew that she wasn\'t hardly anything like she was when she had met him, a spunky, albeit irritated, fiery Supernatural who was worried about her lifestyle. Now that everything had blown over, she found it a little odd to be standing near the vampire who had stopped it all. She looked down at the ground before she spoke, feeling a little awkward. "You know, I never really got the chance to thank you." She looked up at him. "I mean it, without your help I might even be gone back to the dream world now. Thank you Mr. McCloud." She smiled at him.

He was handsome she thought to herself as she stood there, looking between him and the scenery around them, both basked in the moonlight. She didn\'t know why she was here honestly, she was weary, she guessed. Tired of the world and all the years she had lived. She looked up at the moon as she thought, standing there with the vampire that had helped to save her a little longer in this time and body.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
"Just doing my duty," Jake answered in reply. In truth, Eva\'s words were greatly appreciated. Being an Oligarch was hard work, and gratitude almost never came. Hearing a truthful appreciation was something Jake greatly enjoyed hearing.

The woman continued to sing her soft song, and Jake was captured by the simple beauty of her voice. The scene was a dream. Jake found it ironic that this moment was being shared by a being of dreams. He turned to her.

"Eva," Jake said. "It\'s good to see you again. Come stand by me. Let\'s listen to this mortal sing. The simple pleasures of life are so often missed by those as old as us."

He reached out his hand with the intent for her to take it.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Luna Moon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
At his words she smiled. She had often thought that herself, younger Supernaturals didn\'t often understand her joy at simple things when she realized the true beauty in them. She looked at his hand warily before taking it and squeezing it gently. She didn\'t have much physical contact with others and it always surprised her.

Standing next to Jake she listened to the song of the girl and looked out at the scene in front of them. "Sometimes I wonder if we are too old," she spoke softly, almost as if she were speaking to herself. "I think about all that I have seen and then when I think this life is out of surprises, I find something that is so new and fascinating." She sighed, "And I am years older than you, still." She looked at him with a small grin.

She watched the sea swirling and dark below them. "I live my life in dreams, yet they never come close as comparisons of the real world. This world is so much more beautiful. The sights, the sounds, the smells, tastes, and touch."  She looked wistfully down at the dark waters.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
Jake reflected on the nature of dreams. His were often so dark. Even in the three years since he\'d come to the city, Jake often had nightmares of ages past. He\'d healed some. With friends like Saint Sabrina, Kerr, Vomas and Conner, Jake had bounced back tremendously. Yet the dream world was still ever so dark.

"I find it funny," Jake told Eva. "You bring peace and happiness to dreamers, and they call you a nightmare. Seems Ironic."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Luna Moon

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:51:09 AM »
Eva gave a small laugh. "Maybe a bad description for me, but there are some true nightmares out there. Those who feed off of dark, depressing, or even cruel dreams. I prefer to make the dream peaceful and happy of my own accord." She smiled. "Though I always wondered, why are there so many people out there obsessed with controlling a dream? To something that is natural to me, someone who even lives in the dreams world and seen some of the worst, darkest dreams, why want to change something so natural to your own self? Your own mind?"

She shook her head to herself then looked back at Jake. "If you don\'t mind me asking, what kind of dreams do you have, Jake?" She knew that dreams were very personal, knew that better than most, but her curiosity was a little overwhelming to her manners.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 05:15:34 AM »
Jake grew a little cold at the thought of his dreams. He liked to pretend he didn\'t dream at all, as opposed to the terror he usually found himself in. It was at this moment Jake saw an opportunity, a chance to change his dreams.

"Why tell you about them," Jake began, "when I can show you."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Luna Moon

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:14:42 AM »
Eva frowned. "Are you sure?" she asked. Dreams were very strong emotions and feelings. She looked at him skeptically. "Why? Do you want to change a dream? Dream a new dream? If that\'s all, I would gladly help you, but you do know that it would require me to feed from you." She looked out at the sky again. She never imagined that she would be offered to see Jake\'s dreams.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
Jake frowned. She wasn\'t quite understanding. He didn\'t so much want her to change his dreams, as help him figure them out. He needed a guide, and Miss Knox was the perfect candidate.

"You look like you need the meal," Jake joked. "I don\'t want a new dream. I need help understanding the ones I\'m having. Can you do that?"

The woman was coming closer, her song becoming louder.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Luna Moon

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
She chuckled. "I do need a meal, but only of your accord."

Eva frowned again, her eyebrows furrowing. "I don\'t know Jake, it\'s your subconscious. I guess I can help you....It would be more like Dante\'s trip through the Inferno though. I can only help as a conscience, an awake perspective to your sleep. It would be a little different than a normal dream. You\'d be more \'awake\' in a way. Are you sure you want to do this?"

She had done it before but some didn\'t always end well. Creating a subconscious was different than keeping the true emotions of a true dream. She had been in them, but to refrain from changing anything could be dangerous based on the nature of the dream, Jake and herself could be hurt.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 10:11:53 AM »
Jake considered Eva\'s warning. His dreams were a dangerous place, but if Jake could find peace from them, he had to try.

"I accept the risks," Jake told Eva. "I need to do this. I\'ll accept any help you can offer."

With that Jake squeezed Eva\'s hand as a show of their budding friendship.

"Will you help me," Jake asked.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Luna Moon

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
Eva looked at him, then back at the sea, hesitating before answering. She looked back at Jake with a smile, the look on her face caring. She grabbed his arm and held onto it with both of her arms. "I\'ll help you Jake but there are some precautions and warnings." She raised her eyebrow at him. "First of all I need to know if you have any sealed keyholes in your house. I can\'t pass through a door with a sealed keyhole." She gave him a look of sudden seriousness. "You can\'t repeat what I\'m telling you either. There\'s less than a hundred of us left and I don\'t want to get killed. My kind need all the numbers it can get." She turned back towards him with a small smile.

"Now... no iron in the bed. Can\'t be near iron, no true Fae can. I can\'t feed or weave. Sucks but true, you have no idea how many times I\'ve had rotten luck and met someone with a cast iron bed frame." Eva smiled at the memories.

She looked to Jake and then back at the view around them. "A few warnings though," she grimaced. "If your dreams aren\'t pleasant, navigating them won\'t be either. You won\'t know you\'re dreaming and you won\'t remember the dream when you wake, it will take a while to remember. If you get injured in the dream it will hurt like Hell as if it were real. I can weave it a little but it is going to be your subconscious, I will be a guide, a waking perspective. The dream world is as vivd to me as this one. If something goes wrong you could be...damaged....it is your subconscious after all. I\'m just an illusionist." She grinned, "In the corporeal realm and dream realm. Bet you didn\'t know that."

She paused and blushed then looked away. "Um...there is one thing....." She averted her eyes away from him. "In order to feed and weave your dream, I need to sleep...well on your chest...." She blushed and looked up at him. Eva wasn\'t sure why she was so nervous. She had done this millions of times, but it had been so long...and he was a male vampire..... She tended to stick to humans. She knew the darkness in the vampiric dreams though. "This won\'t be easy though Jake," she said softly as she looked up at him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
Jake considered all that Eva had said. He didn\'t like risking his life or anyone else\'s, but he needed answers, and he felt this was the only way. Also, Eva needed to feed, and Jake had nights upon nights to feed her dreams.

"Let\'s do it soon," Jake replied. "I\'d say a few days from now would be best."

With that Jake looked down to the singing woman. She was so beautiful in the moonlight. He suddenly had a request of Eva.

"Miss Knox," Jake began. "Can you make me dream of this place sometimes? I find it so peaceful."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Luna Moon

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
((OOC: So....plans for a dream adventure? :p ))

Eva smiled softly, "For you, anytime." She looked out and closed her eyes. "And just call me Eva. Dreams are extremely personal and I\'d prefer to be on a first name basis... especially if I\'m sleeping in the same bed." She rolled her eyes.

"So...," she began,"Where will we do this? I mean, you\'re a vampire and I\'m guessing your place is safe from the sun....." She shook her head. "I honestly haven\'t done this in a while. And I haven\'t fed... I\'m just so...weary and weak." She leaned against Jake and put her head against his arm. "Thank you again. I really do appreciate this."

She kind of wobbled as she stood straight up. " So what day do you choose?"