Author Topic: Drawing Parallels  (Read 15312 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Drawing Parallels
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
"Rachel," he began as if he were going to try to explain some complex process of adult life to a desperate child, one that asked too many questions too poignantly. He hated this moment, this exchange more than he could possibly express to her. To him it was extremely invasive, ridulous thing to ask. Not to mention that he was already trying his hardest not to just quit the entire thing and run back upstairs for the next day and a half just to keep this situation out of their reach for a while longer. But it had been he that had kissed her and then left, and he knew that somehow, sometime he needed to come to terms with this beast that lingered on between them. If he could understand it himself, he would elaborate, but alas that was part of the problem.

"I suppose you could say that it was sort of an impulse, yes." This much he knew was true. He didn't typically have thoughts of kissing her, though from time to time - especially lately - he had. "It wasn't out of pity, or sympathy or anything like that," he continued slowly, as if the words themselves were too afraid to leave his lungs. "I... I wanted to... kiss you. I can't explain why," though it was rather that he couldn't tell her, his ward, this pretty young girl, that he wanted to kiss her because he may have felt something deeply for her, "but I can tell you it was not for any malicious intention." And then with an honest sort of hope he added, "I hope you didn't take it that way..."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
"No, of course not."  Hadn't she already said that?  Hadn't he already said all of that before, too?  Well, at least he was certain that it wasn't out of sympathy.  That was a good thing, right?  But maybe the conversation would have been much shorter and much simpler if it had been out of sympathy.  Right now, Rachel didn't know what was worse.  The girl seemed to deflate against the couch, physically surrendering to the nowhere that she anticipated this conversation to go. She knew Damien long enough to at least recognize that.

Maybe he really didn't know.  Maybe he wasn't trying to hide anything from her because, as far as he was concerned, there wasn't anything to hide?   Hadn't she just simply wanted to do things before, just for the sake of doing them?  Well, nothing like a kiss...  But was it really such a hard thing to imagine?

"Okay," she said after a little while of silence.  "Now what."  Her tone was less sarcastic and more I wish we would get to the point already
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
He hesitated, not knowing what it was she was looking for. What, did she want him to express his love for her? Did she want him to try to admit that there was this deep part of him that was so desperately in love with her he couldn't live without her? Did she want him to say that the kiss he had given her was a chance for a romantic relationship to grow between them? Well then, she would have been waiting on nothing. He felt no need to express any of his emotions to her, especially not now. He had lived his entire life without her, most of which was void of any kind of romanticism. And his kiss had meant nothing to him but a mistake he couldn't afford again.

Hadn't it?

"What do you mean, 'now what'? What else are you looking for?"

It had occurred to him long before this moment that she may have acted out of her own feeling and not out of his actions, but it was rationalized time and time again. She couldn't have possibly had any kind of feelings for him. Damien knew that he was too cold for her, too distant and frightening for her. It was Pierre she was attracted to, and rightfully so. At least Pierre had treated her like a female, a human that had the capability of feelings. Damien had gone out of his way to treat her like an animal that was to be released back into the wild - friendly and pleasant, but with the understanding that he was never going to be close to her because there was a time limit hanging over them, a time limit that was quickly running out. Becoming close to anyone was not what made him thrive or want to continue. It distracted and made him more vulnerable. He had everything that he needed and wanted in his memories and himself and that was perfectly fine by him. Rachel, like most of the humans in Damien's long life, was just one more human passing through, he was sure of it. So when the idea that any romantic feeling could arise from the current situation, it was pushed down immediately - as entertaining as it might have been - for the sake of preserving his bloodline and his promises. It was only until moments like this happened that Damien even realzed that he had done a horrible job silencing his own demons and he refused to let it interfere. So he would push everything down farther, until he could no longer see it even with his mind's eye.

It wasn't that he didn't like her. To the contrary. He had entertained thoughts like any man would - scolding himself and devoting his thoughts towards other avenues of rememberances afterwards - about Rachel. She was living with him in his house. He had dreamt from time to time of stroking the side of her face with his hand to see how warm she actually was, of guiding her hands over his scarred body, and his over hers. Of kissing her with the same amount of passion as he had once kissed his sire, whom he had loved more dearly than his own existence. Damien was not without feeling and emotion, but rather very good at not showing it. The crack in his visage had scared him half to his second death, and if for no other reason that was whyhe ran away so quickly after kissing her. He didn't crave Storm, but rather liked what he thought could occur if he let himself.

If he let himself.

The truth was he never did purposely. Instead he ignored anything that happened to pop up - every smile, every laugh, every want, everything - in his interactions with the human. There were more important things to concentrate on and the feeling - the novelty - of having this girl in his house would pass soon enough.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Hopeless.

"I don't know" she paused, leaning back into the couch and putting her face toward the ceiling.  The girl was suddenly aware of how hot her skin was and she pressed her palms to her cheeks as if to cool them.

"Some kind of resolution?"  Rachel half whispered to herself.  She didn't know how to address her own feelings.  Should she ignore how strong the desire to kiss him back, to further explore that forbidden realm that lay beyond friendship?  She didn't even know if she should be thinking about that right now, what with Damien's ability to read thoughts whenever he wanted (not that he had ever violated her privacy).  Regardless, even thinking about things like that visibly exaggerated the color and heat in her face and at this point she wasn't sure how obvious she wanted to let herself be to him.

So it was either go about daily life as though this were some kind of fluke that didn't mean anything beyond simple curiosity and desire, or if it did mean something - if he did feel something...

No.  This was Damien.  Could he even feel anything like that anymore?

Probably not.  Not with all that happened before. 

But if it was just some kind of fluke, why hasn't he said it directly?  Why hasn't he said anything to indicate they should go on as they always had?  That was what bothered her.

She sighed through her nose and looked back at him.  I just don't know how to act around you right now.  Rachel shook her head.

"I don't know."  The unnecessary repetition made her feel slightly self conscious, and she looked away again.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »
The vampire groaned and walked through the house, as if he were afraid of the empty air hearing what he had to say to Rachel. "Look, Rachel," he said to her, stopping a few steps after the door frame which separated the sun room from the family room where she was sitting. "I like having you here. A big house like this is too big for just me, and I'm very grateful that you're here with me." His tone was completely honest and low, despite that awkward human feeling trying to creep up on him. "I don't think I'd ever be able to express to you exactly how happy I am with you here.

"For once in my life since Lucretia died, I'm glad to be where I am in the position I am." There was a long pause as he let what he was trying to say soak in. Something about the words didn't fit snuggly in his head like he had imagined they would, but he continued nonetheless. "I ... enjoy your company. A lot, but I don't want things to change between us. I think that we're fine the way we are right now. So, I'm sorry that I didn't stop myself, and I won't put you into that situation again."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
The girl swallowed the lump that had gathered in her throat.

"Ok."  She wanted her voice to sound unaffected, normal even.  But it came out strained and small with the tension that had gathered there.  A small part of it lifted from her, but it didn't take the scarlet in her cheeks or the heaviness in her chest.  She should be relieved right now, that he finally said - in plain English - where he stood mentally in this situation.  They could go back to being around each other as friends.  She didn't have to guess anymore.  But Rachel couldn't feel relieved.  Not one-hundred percent.  Something inside of her still felt strained, still wanted to know, still wondered if he was lying.  But she didn't have any right to accuse him of not telling her what he really felt.  And for that matter, she didn't have any right to really even hope that he was as curious about this...possibility as she was. 

And this was exactly why she never said anything to Gabriel.

Time to get back to real life.

With a sigh she stood, straightening out her clothing.  "I'm gonna shower," she half muttered to herself, stretching, and walking past the vampire toward the stairs.  A shower would be nice now.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »
A breath caught in his lungs as she shut the conversation down. Something seemed unresolved, like she wanted to press something but wasn't, deciding to escape him once again for the sake of convenience and aggravation. Yet isn't that what he had just done and hadn't it caused all this uproar? Damien kept his mouth closed and said nothing as she made her decision. He stepped aside for her and responded with a similar, tight-lipped "Okay".

He watched her out of the corner of his eye as she walked up the stairs, avoiding her gaze as much as he could. When he heard her shut her bedroom door, he stopped paying attention to her and turned inwards, upon himself. A new collection of guilt was gathering and weighing him down. As the vampire made the decision to go into the study to answer some important mail - with the door shut - he felt a new surge of guilty, awkward, and wrong things clinging to him. things he didn't feel like dealing with during the day. He needed to feed. He needed a bit of a break from being himself, yet in the hundreds of years he had lived, he had not once figured out how to do that.