Author Topic: The Elephant in the Room  (Read 19259 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Re: The Elephant in the Room
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 03:20:45 AM »
She stuck her tongue out at him.

"If you\'re \'only nineteen\'," she said - momentarily with a deeper voice, trying her best to immitate him, "Then you shouldn\'t be worrying that much about anything."
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 07:26:03 AM »
"If only that were the case." He responded with a sheepish grin. From the sun room Delilah woofed twice, and looked at the door to the terrace with a whine. Putting aside his thoughts, Damien rose and crossed to the pantry where he kept her rawhide bones, slid open the back door and hummed it halfway across the back yard with the greatest of ease. Delilah bounded out the door with a howl after it, her eyes alight with excitement. "Allez!" He called after the dog, who picked up the bone, narrowly avoiding a tall pine in her haste. Damien laughed as she trotted around the yard with the bone proudly displayed in her mouth, chewing as she went. He slid the door shut and watched her for a few minutes as she played with the bone, then abandoned it for chasing a squirrel up a tree.

It wasn\'t long before his thoughts caught up with him and the dreaded idea of the Oligarchy filled his mind with pestilence again. Casting one more glance out the sliding glass door, Damien went back into the family to face Rachel, who kept her eyes on him as he entered. "Is it bad that sometimes I just want to overthrow the Oligarchy myself just as everyone assumes I will? It is good then that I have other things to occupy myself with. I would be mad by now if I hadn\'t." And then he smirked to himself and said a bit more quietly, but still within earshot of Rachel, "I\'d probably turn out much like Sonya."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:15 AM »
"Ugh," she grimaced.  Damien had told her enough of Sonya to make her not want to know that woman personally at all.  The thought of Damien, one of her only friends right now, becoming anything like the ancient hag that he had described to her, made Rachel queezy.

"You\'ll never ever end up like her.  Not if I can help it,"  she glared in warning.

"Besides, even if you did overthrow the Oligarchy, I doubt you would stop worrying about everything.  You\'d probably be a hundred times more miserable than you are now."  Her tone was a mixture of pity and dry humor.  I\'d never want to see you like that.

"And for that reason, yes, I am glad that you have things to occupy yourself with."  Even if that did mean that she was one of those \'things\' taking up the vampire\'s time, perhaps hindering his plans.  But it didn\'t really seem like he was all that excited to try to take over the world.  At least Rachel didn\'t think so.  She kept this to herself.  For now, anyway.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »
The vampire sat down on the couch, the opposite end to Rachel, who wiggled over a bit to separate the two friends. "Yes, well, I was thinking about such grim thoughts as one would expect from Sonya right before you came along." He smirked wearily at her. It was something that was completely true that he had never spoken to her until that moment about.

Two and a half years ago, he and Pierre had been out feeding in an attempt to maintain normalcy, motivation, and to ward off the crippling madness that Damien had been feeling for the better part of four hundred or so years. He had felt disconnected to his fledglings, to his purpose, and to the time in which he lived. It was a feeling not unlike drifting in the ocean with no land near his feet. Thoughts of death, of returning to his family or to Lucretia in the after life had plagued him for hours of the day. It prevented him from sleeping and made the sun-lit landscape seem a very friendly place to live rather than the dead of night. More than once he contemplated walking out there at dawn and finding a nice place to enjoy the sunrise.

And then he ran into Rachel, or rather, she had run into him. From that point on he had found something to occupy himself, something to give him a temporary purpose -- to protect that girl from anymore horrors of rape, slavery, or nightmares. She was something that made him focus and put land beneath his reaching legs, and while it wasn\'t much it was something to remain in the night for.

The first year after finding Rachel had been frightening, a challenge to his abilities. They were both haunted by the appearance of the prick in her dreams, in her wakeful mind. The threat of being found and having everything he had worked for destroyed had kept him going for that year. And then Laurent seemed to drop off the face of the city after his fight with Pierre. Things slowly became easier, very slowly. Pierre\'s stomach began to heal and he could move without too much crippling pain. Rachel began to sleep and worry less about being found. Damien hadn\'t heard a single word about Laurent\'s whereabouts in the city.

But things weren\'t perfect enough for his horrifying thoughts to return. Rachel would still wake up frightened after the one night of sleep that she took every three or four days, crying, clinging to Damien, who had become accustomed to her torrential reactions to her dreams of things that had too suddenly ended. Every night she awoke now and looked around for Damien like a haunted fledgling who first realized that they had left mortality behind, who instantly found himself at her bedside. Once in a great while she bled like a woman, her horrid crying of pain from more than a year as a slave of Laurent\'s and the foul feelings she produced emotionally kept him from sleeping days. And in an odd sense, it all brought them closer. She needed him and he was willing to say that without her being there things would have been drastically different for him as well. So, in a sense, they needed each other, if only for a short time. And for whatever reason, Damien was alright with that thought.

"Had we never met, I believe things would have been much different. For the both of us." He smirked at her, a statement spiked with an undercurrent he knew she would understand, one meant to be a line of connection between the two of them.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
“Yeah…”  She knew exactly the weight of what he was referring to.  Not often did they make reference to what happened two and a half years ago, not unless there was something they needed to talk about—which wasn’t very often at all.  Rachel still felt extremely self-conscious about the state in which she was found, and every detail that Damien knew—through what she was comfortable sharing only with Janella at the time—about what had happened to her.  While Rachel knew some things about Damien’s past life up until the modern era, she felt like he knew far more personal things about her.  So it was easier just not to think about it, and she got by doing just that.

That wasn’t to say that she was totally ungrateful for everything he had done for her.  Because god only knows what would have become of her had she stayed in that fucking place for another few years.  If she even survived that long.

It was strange, though, to think that she had any sort of affect on his life—aside from the obvious being-another-expense-to-care-for thing.  His words made her smile, cheeks coloring slightly.  She was glad that all of her attempts at friendship and at caring about him seemed to reach him—somewhere beyond that cold exterior.

“I wouldn’t have been around to tell you that you don’t have to worry so friggin’ much.”  She laughed awkwardly.  “I don’t think Pierre tells you enough.   And if he does, it doesn’t seem like you listen to his advice all that much.”  Maybe the fact that she could even tell when something was bothering him, without having the benefit of immortal senses or the fledgling-to-sire connection.  It made her feel sort of special.

“Gabe would’ve had a field day trying to get you to loosen up…” she reflected offhandedly.  "He was always better at it than I was."

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 01:08:19 PM »
His smirk lingered a bit longer. "Oh, he tells me enough. I simply don\'t listen well."

It was so much easier now than it had ever been before to talk to Rachel. Things between them had opened up slowly and though they each had their privacy, their hidden moments, it was a sigh of relief to think that asking her to do something, to explain something wasn\'t as difficult as pulling teeth. It was nice, really, to know that he could have someone to talk to on a nightly basis that wasn\'t forced to listen due to the blood tie, that someone besides his fledglings existed and was actually around to speak to him about something other than business as usual.

And then she mentioned Gabriel again. Damien\'s expression softened a bit, turning somewhat sad.

He knew only bits and pieces about this Gabriel person, someone from her past that he assumed she had once loved. Damien knew that he was at the very least a friend that lived near her before she had been taken by Laurent. And from the way that she spoke about him, he was a good friend. He was the only one she ever spoke of from her old life. After she was taken, she had lost contact with the boy, a year passing before Damien and Pierre had saved her.

"You really miss him, don\'t you?" Damien asked quietly, watching her. "You\'ve been mentioning him a lot lately."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »
"Yeah," she replied softly, thoughtfully.  Her cheeks tinged with red, though she didn\'t notice.  To tell the truth, Rachel hadn\'t noticed that she was talking about Gabriel so much.  But sitting down and thinking about it now...  It almost hurt.  She wasn\'t the type to just take off and not contact a close friend for as long as she had been out of touch with him.  She couldn\'t remember his phone number, even if it had remained the same, and even if she did she wasn\'t sure if she would have wanted to call him.

Too much time had passed.  Everything then had happened so suddenly.  She would have been embarrassed to face him after everything.  Having to explain it all over again to someone else that wasn\'t Damien.

"He was like my best friend.  We were really close." she smiled sadly.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 06:30:07 AM »
"So why don\'t you try to contact him again?" He asked her honestly. Three years wasn\'t exactly a long time. Most humans her age would still be living around the same area, would still remember things like faces and facts about another human. It wasn\'t as though she had been gone for decades and the faces and features of her friends would have so drastically changed. Her apartment would most likely still be standing, her friends would still remember her name, her diner would probably still be in business. "Surely you still remember the address at which he lived?"

Honestly he would have loved to put her back in Wisconsin, to put her back where she belonged so that he didn\'t have to take her out of a possible life for one that Damien himself had chosen for her. He didn\'t want her living in Lucretia\'s shadow, now that he understood what he did about Rachel. The last thing that he wanted to do was pick her up and chose a life for her to lead, like Laurent had done to her. That wasn\'t something that he was willing to do. Two years ago when he had barely known her, when he was confused enough to think that something like that mattered, that a human girl could fix anything, perhaps he would have tried harder.

But Storm -- Rachel, he corrected himself -- was different now that she wasn\'t that scared little girl running from a hustler. She was trying to return to normal, trying to remember what it was like to be a young woman and not a slave to a monster. And Damien felt as though he had no right to interrupt that process now that she had started to heal.

Sure, some part of him wanted her to stay and be around him -- afterall he had gotten used to her company when he couldn\'t sleep or when he had to go and run errands for the house. Rachel was a living, breathing addition to his home and he felt more at home in a large house in which there was a constant companion who talked to him willingly. He liked having something to take care of, something to keep his mind busy and off of things that involved his army. His former madness had deepened the longer he considered finding Lucretia or something about her to keep him going, because Damien had started to realize over these past few years that there was nothing left of her. Only memory.

But Rachel was that small and simple reminder that he was alive -- sort of -- and that he was needed in this life time, even if it were temporarily. Someselfish, greedy thing in him didn\'t want to see Rachel go, even though he knew that after the life she had lived, she deserved it.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »
"I..." she stopped.  She hadn\'t really thought about those things ever since that night she had been taken.  Whenever she tried it felt like she was hitting a wall.  Everything else kept getting in the way, and it was almost like the memory from being trapped in that place was intertwined with everything else.  Surely she remembered where she used to live, people just don\'t forget things like that in three years.  And it wasn\'t like she had just come out of a coma or something.  

The things that Rachel could remember now were few: mostly images of good memories.  It felt like trying to remember things that happened in your childhood fifteen years ago, it was just fuzzy.  The fact that it was this difficult, and had been this difficult to remember for quite some time, was frustrating.  Usually she just pushed it away and tried thinking about something else, but that was when she wasn\'t being asked about it.  That was when she was thinking alone.

She looked to Damien, almost for help, and felt foolish.

"All I can remember right now," she spoke softly, fixing her gaze away from her friend, "is that he lived a floor above me."

If it didn\'t sound so silly to leave at that remark, she wouldn\'t have continued.

"I mean, I\'m sure if I were to go back to the area and just go through the neighborhoods I would remember."  She paused.

"At least I think I would."  You sound like an idiot.

"Anyways, I don\'t know if I would really want to get back in touch with him.  Not after this long.  I mean, I left so suddenly, I think it would be kind of awkward."

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »
Damien tilted his head and furrowed his brow. "Why would it be awkward? You were friends, yes? If it were me, I would want to know what happened to you."

There was a time, hundreds of years ago, when Damien had gone back to France, back to Toulouse in order to find out what had become of his family. When he last left his human family before the first Crusade, he had been an uncle to his eldest brother\'s children, Charlotte was about to be married to a Provençal, and his other siblings were growing up without him. He had at least three nephews and a niece when he had left with his own uncle to fight. Once he left when he was human, he had never returned until he was over two hundred years old. He had stolen a horse from the encampment in an attempt to separate himself from Lucretia at a time when he was struggling with her opressive control over him and the rest of the army. His sire had left him for fledgling with whom she bedded despite her promise to Damien that she wouldn\'t. And after a number of mistakes, he walked out of their tent, took a horse and crossed through modern-day Croatia and Italy, back the way he had first arrived with Lucretia. Back then the trip had cost him months, but he arrived in Toulouse to see his family living as peasants, his home inhabited by a new count and his family. He found his descendents, and they told him of what became of his family the best they could: Charlotte married into nobility and had nearly a dozen children in Aquitaine, Michel had met an early death in battle, his nephews grew up to have their own children in Provençe and other parts of France, his only surviving younger brother died the year after Guillaume had left for the Crusades. Damien could remember leaving his old house with his eyes full of water. It was outside his old dwelling that Lucretia, who had been on his tail for months, held him and brought him back to the only family he had left.

But Rachel\'s situation was different. Her time gone was much shorter, much harder for those who didn\'t know what happened to her to swallow. And if this Gabriel truly cared for her, then perhaps Damien could deliver her back to her rightful place, back in Madison. That was what was right, wasn\'t it?

"I\'m sure he wonders what happened to you nearly every day. Your mother as well. After all, you might be able to just go back to your life in Madison if you wanted."

For some reason, Damien felt an odd feeling in his face, something, he supposed, that would have been similar to a blushing human. Only his blood didn\'t move like that anymore.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
That was what she had wanted eventually though, wasn\'t it?  The girl was silent for a moment and she did not look at him.  It hurt, really, to think about all of this.  To tell the truth, she didn\'t exactly want to talk about it.

"Well, I never called my mother back then anyway.  So I don\'t think she\'d worry as much as you think she would."  her smile was bitter.  Sure, she probably worried in the same way that mothers do, but she had her own life.  She had always made that clear.  Rachel didn\'t miss her.  Not right now anyway.  And she didn\'t have any intention of contacting her.  There wasn\'t any point.  Besides, what would she say?  

\'Hi mom, I just wanted to let you know that three years ago I got picked up by some sleaze-bag and taken to a brothel against my will.  I was trapped for a year there but I\'m okay now!\'

No.

Gabriel was a different story.  That apartment building that they both lived in was almost a dump.  Gabriel was always talking about finding a better job and moving up in the world.  He had a decent job back then, enough to support himself and help her out when she needed it.  The last conversation she remembered having with him, he was trying to get an internship with some big company.  At least he had finished school, she never did.  He told her that the only reason why he was living in such a shitty place was so that he could save up money.  He would always say "Besides, it really isn\'t that bad!"

Yeah, she missed him.

"I can\'t just pick things up back there," her voice was very quiet.  "My apartment was probably rented out to someone else and Gabriel probably moved out of that place ages ago."  And I don\'t want to leave.  

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
"But you could still try if you wanted to. I mean, what would the harm be in trying? What do you have to lose?" He looked at her with hope, but noticed that her attention was directed downwards. It was a sign he had come to understand as Rachel\'s way of showing discomfort with a particular topic.

"I mean, if he is still out there, in that same apartment, you could call him and find him and talk to him. Or something." And he instantly felt out of place. It was a feeling not unlike awkwardness, like he had crossed some kind of line with Rachel. He found himself looking for a way to smoothly drop the topic on a good note, listening to any response from the girl with open ears.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
"What, you trying to get rid of me or something?"  she smiled, sort of, and looked up at him.  She could tell he was fumbling because he could tell that she was uncomfortable.  This happened to them often, more now than it used to.  Conversation would become awkward, she would misinterpret his intentions because he was so old, English wasn\'t his first language.  Blah, blah, blah.  

Sarcasm usually helped.

Somewhere in the back of her mind she couldn\'t help feeling like he was trying to get rid of her.  If it wasn\'t for the fact that he had (or at least it seemed like he had) spent so much time trying to work up some kind of a friendship, she would have been more suspicious.  

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »
"No, it\'s not that," he said defensively and then exhaled. "It\'s more that..." Damien trailed off, not knowing exactly how to phrase what he wanted to say in order to express the idea in his head.

"It\'s just that you didn\'t chose this lifestyle. I know that it\'s better than the one you had had before in the..." Damien looked at her as her cheeks tinted, then decided to skip over the exact wording, "...you know. But still I feel as though this life, here with me," and he paused again, that same awkward feeling of blood trying to move to his face occuring, "I feel like this isn\'t how you should be living.

"I mean that I feel like you should be out being a human, doing things that a human girl should do, not following around a group of vampires because you\'re not safe on your own in the city." Even after he had stumbled through his words, the feeling in his face didn\'t disappear.

"I wish often times that I could give you back the life you had before you left Madison. Is that wrong for me to say?" And then he added quickly, "It\'s not that I don\'t enjoy you being here, it\'s just that I feel like you should be a human somewhere unaffected by all this, Laurent, the Oligarchy, Pierre, me..."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »
She couldn\'t help but laugh.  A lot.  And it was kind of embarrassing but it lifted some of the awkward pressure that was beginning to build while she watched him trying to fumble through the meanings of his words.

"Let me get this straight, you\'d rather put me back in that shit-hole over-priced apartment than let me stay here," at home, she blushed for reasons unclear to herself.

"God, you\'re not trapping me, Damien."  She rolled her eyes, face still burning with blood.  "We do \'human things\' all the time.  I don\'t think you realize that.  Its not like you\'re keeping me from being myself."  Sometimes she even forgot that he wasn\'t human.  Just in every-day life with him seemed so...normal.  Of course every now and then things happened, business had to be taken care of and so on.  But generally, things were pretty slow.  It was almost relaxing.

"I like it here," she began with a more serious tone.  "The last thing that I want to do is move away from

you

my friends, from my home, and this city, just to try to catch up with an old friend who might not even be around there anymore."  Rachel was extremely conscious of how hot her face was, but could do nothing to change it.  The feeling made her want to talk more, as if it would cover it up, but it only made things worse.

"No matter where I am, things are going to happen that I don\'t chose to have happen.  That doesn\'t mean that they are bad.  Sometimes they\'re good.  Like right now."  She looked at his face for a second before looking, self-consciously, in another direction.

"What I\'m trying to say is, I don\'t want to go back.  Not right now.  There\'s more for me here than there is for me back there.  Yeah I miss Gabe but I don\'t want to have to miss this place instead."