Author Topic: You\'re Making Me Dizzy  (Read 12367 times)

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
You\'re Making Me Dizzy
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
My head is spinning,
Like a whirlpool,
It\'s never ending,
You\'re making me dizzy!

Singing under his breath and walking a jagged line on the footpath, Quin had left the bar a couple of blocks up the street when they\'d refused to serve him more alcohol.

”Dizzy!" he half shouted, half sang to a nearby cat, who\'d believed itself unseen lurking in the shadows.  Shadows from a dark imp weren\'t much cover at all, and it yowled its protest before liquifying a path deeper into the alley where it zipped up an old rusty fire escape and looked disgustedly out at the imp who\'d frightened it so.

Quin was bent over at the middle, holding his knees, howling red-cheeked laughter.  It wasnt long before he had to lean against the building for support and wait for the spinning to stop.

"Dizzy..." he whispered, still in tune with the previous stanza, and kept the rest of the song in his head while he forged a path to the shop he could see was open.  It ended up being a coffee shop, and he stumbled inside.  With a nice, steaming hot pot of coffee in him, maybe he could sober up enough to be served some more alcohol back at the bar.

Humming the tune that revolved unconsciously in his head, Quin ambled through the surprisingly busy coffee shop (considering the lateness of the hour), bumping into chairs and tables on the way, both occupied and not, earning himself a mixture of stern and amused looks.

He made quite the picture, dressed as he was in a long sleeved white business shirt with a rumpled patchwork vest over it, (wings and tail tucked away, as were his ears covered by his long mopey curly hair), equally rumpled and Ill-fitting pants that bunched at his ankles, his stockinged feet quite obviously missing their shoes.

He found himself a stool at the counter and slapped his hand heartily upon it, drawing the attention of a few nearby customers but not the barista, who was busy serving coffees.

"i\'ll have me an Irish coffee!" he announced grandly, forgetting that the coffee shop had been a means to get sober.  He reached into his vest for some money and found himself staring out at the cafe proper, for the stool had swiveled him around without his realizing.

"Now where in the bloody hell did the bar go?" he muttered, peering at people sitting at tables sipping lattes.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: You\'re Making Me Dizzy
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:02:11 AM »
Jake McCloud was enjoying the scene before him. The Ventrue was sitting in the coffee shop The Painted Bean, watching fellow Oligarch Quin stumble about. Jake did his best to hide a growing giggle.

Jake had ended up in this haven for the late night mortal out of pure happenstance. He\'d had the night off from work, and had originally gone to Risk to hunt. There he\'d meet a cute, human boy. The boy\'s name had been Bryant. At first, he\'d found Bryant rather odd, but after humoring him in conversation decided he wasn\'t so bad. Jake had taken Bryant to one of the back rooms, fed from him and then fucked him. It had been a glorious evening for them both.

After the feeding and screwing was done, Jake found the night was still young. Curious what mortals did after two a.m these days, Jake had decided to stick around with Bryant. When asked what young human males did after going out to a club and hooking up, Bryant had brought Jake to The Painted Bean. They\'d sat, and chatted. Bryant had a latte, (on Jake\'s ticket) and Jake had promised Bryant that next time they\'d go to his house. Of course Bryant had no idea that Jake\'s home was The Dante\'s Inferno, a place he\'d already been forcibly brought to.

Eventually it got to late for young Bryant to stay awake and so the human had said his goodbyes and left Jake sitting in the shop. Jake had decided not to leave, because he\'d found observing all the humans present to be so interesting. He listened as they talked about money, fashion, sex, T.V., etc. He found all of it so delightful. When two human females began to discuss the latest episode of Gossip Girl, it took a ton of self control not to join in.

Just when he\'d resolved to go home for the night, Quin had bashed his way into the shop. Jake was sitting in a corner chair, and so he got to view the whole spectacle Quin was making from a safe distance. He liked Quin. He was a devoted person, and was good at his job. Although they\'d never had personal time together, Jake approved greatly of him as an Oligarch. He\'d heard of Quin\'s love of booze, but was only seeing the extent of that love for the first time.

Jake tought about leaving Quin there. He knew that if he was that drunk and someone found him, the next day he\'d be deeply embarrassed. However, as he sat there, Jake decided Quin was to out of sorts to get home safely. Jake felt compelled to assist his coworker and friend. Jake got up from his table and put on his black pea coat. He liked the way it looked with his striped brown button up shirt and jeans. He walked towards Quin, who he now heard couldn\'t find the bar, making sure not to get his Converse shoes dirty in the mess Quin had made coming in. He stopped directly short of his fellow Oligarch.

"Hello Quin," Jake said.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:32:34 AM »
[ooc: I don\'t know what you mean about Jake not getting his Converse shoes dirty on the \'mess Quin made\' coming in.  All he did was bump into a few tables and chairs]

While he was staring out at the coffee shop, a creature Quin recognised stood up, put on a coat, then approached him.  The familiar face only served to confuse him further, for he associated this face with either Risk or work.  Quin hadn\'t been at Risk tonight... had he?  He certainly hadn\'t been to work earlier, it was his night off.  Wasn\'t it?

"Helloooo," he sang in return, wiggling his fingers in greeting at the vampire in front of him.  His concerns about where he was or what he\'d done earlier disappeared once he received a friendly hello.  There was a new question that pressed itself into his addled mind, however, and considering his drunkenness, it was a pretty good observation.  Frowning and peering at Jake, to make sure he was studying his fellow Oligarch with the appropriate intensity, he asked; "What\'s a vampire doing in a coffee shop?"

It was only the persistent smell of coffee that had reminded him he was in one.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:33:30 AM »
OOC: Oh, I took the liberty of suggesting Quin knocked over a half empty latte on his way to the bar. It was more of an excuse to describe the shoes and is easily removable if Quin didn\'t knock over a latte.

Jake did a quick glance to make sure that no humans were really listening to their conversation. Jake was always fearful of breaking the masquerade, and although Quin hadn\'t said his greeting very loud, Jake was careful none the less.

"I was on a date with someone," Jake said in reply. "What brings well... someone like you here?"

Jake refrained from saying Imp. He\'d heard Quin could get rather hot headed.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
"Someone... like... me?" Quin repeated slowly.  He thought about what Jake was implying, couldn\'t get it, thought it was funny that he didn\'t understand, and laughed heartily, slapping Jake on the shoulder.  His Irish accent was thick in his drunkenness, and even harder to understand while chortling.

"I wasn\'t on a date, my friend," he said, "and I wouldn\'t bring \'em here!"

He gestured wildly, trying not to hit Jake, and as a result he spun around on his stool once more, but was lucky enough to do a full 360, ending up looking back at Jake.

"That was unexpected," he blinked.  "Where did I put my drink?" he asked, then checked his pockets.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
Jake laughed sweetly at his friend. Whether it was Quin\'s intention or not, he was very charming. Jake pulled up the stool next to Quin, and faced the bar.

"It was my date\'s idea to come here," Jake said. "Coffee shops..... aren\'t my thing."

Jake looked Quin over. It seemed the imp was pretty far gone. As Quin checked his pockets for a non existent drink, Jake began to theorize ways to get his fellow oligarch home.  

"Do you need anything Quin?" Jake asked. "Maybe a cup of coffee?"

Jake had heard coffee made drunk people not drunk. He had no idea if it worked. If it did, Quin was going to need a LOT!
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »
"Coffee!" Quin repeated with a burst of inspiration.  He remembered that was why he\'d come in here in the first place.  "I was after a pot o\'coffee," he said, nodding, following Jake\'s movements and spinning himself back around to face the counter alongside his companion.  "Coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee," he said to himself, not wanting to forget again.  The barista made her way to them and asked their order.

"A pot o\'coffee," he declared, and received a blank look for his trouble.  "There a problem?" he asked.

"What kind and what size?" the barista asked, her smile faltering.

"Pot.  Coffee.  A pot o\'coffee," Quin said slowly, then looked to Jake for help.  What did she mean what kind and what size?  He thought he\'d been clear.  "As in, not tea," he added helpfully.  The barista also looked at Jake for clarification.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
That poor coffee woman.

Jake smiled at Quin. The imp, whether meaning to or not, seemed to be putting this girl through quite the annoying night. With a look of help shot his way from Quin, Jake decided that he\'d better diffuse this situation. The vampire remembered what Bryant had told him about ordering coffee, and used this information to help the poor girl.

"He\'ll have a ugh.... Venti coffee with two shots of expresso."

Jake was proud of himself for blending in so well with humans. Jake thought that he and Quin looked like the kind of people who\'d drink coffee. Jake had very few things that made him long for humanity, but the pleasure of ordering and drinking coffee had just been added to the list.

The barista returned with a very large cup of boiling coffee. Jake found the smell hardy and full of flavor. Of course, if he\'d tried to sip it, it would mean lots of vomiting later. Jake was so not into vomiting.

"Here Quin," Jake suggested. "Drink this."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
Quin, who\'d asked for a pot of coffee and received a very large cup due to Jake\'s interpretation, was most pleased with what was in front of him.  The big smile on his face reflected his joy, and the murmurings of pleasure after sipping the very strong coffee also wouldn\'t lead even the most casual observer astray.

"You\'re one of the good bloodsuckers in this dirty ol\' town," Quin praised while lifting his coffee in Jake\'s direction.  He wasn\'t loud, but he wasn\'t keeping his voice down, either.  There was only one volume on Quin when he was drunk (and only rarely two volumes when sober).

He concentrated on getting his coffee to his lips and back for the next few minutes.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:36:46 AM »
Jake gave an uneasy laugh when Quin said "bloodsucker." The barista had been walking by and heard the imp. Jake suddenly got a curious, icy glare. Jake could\'ve persuaded the individual to forget hearing such a comment, but found a much simpler solution.

"I\'m a banker and a millionaire," Jake said to the barista.

This answer explained Quin\'s usage of the word bloodsucker all to well. The barista scoffed, and then went back to his duties behind the bar. Jake listened into his thoughts while Quin drank his coffee.  

Guy\'s a millionaire and he can\'t even leave me a tip? I waited on his boyfriend earlier, and now his drunk buddy. Asshole.

Pleased he\'d fooled the human, even if he was now hated, Jake turned to see how Quin was fairing.

"Feeling any better?" Jake asked.

He wanted to get them both out of the shop and back to the hotel. Dawn was in a few hours.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
"Room\'s still spinning," Quin chortled, obviously not upset by such a thing.  The spin was slow and not nauseating, for the imp had lots of practise handling his liquor.  "When did you start working in a bank?" he asked after a long and thoughtful moment.

The lie to the barista had been heard by Quin, who\'d taken many minutes to process this information and figure it as a truthful thing.  He figured that Jake really was a millionaire, for most of the bloodsuckers were if they\'d been around for a while, but the bank thing had been a surprise.

He took a long sip of coffee and watched the vampire Oligarch over the rim of the cup.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
"Well I don\'t exactly work in a bank," Jake corrected.

Quin was not ready to travel. Jake didn\'t mind this at all. He and Quin never really got the chance to talk. Even if Quin was drunk, Jake knew he\'d appreciate the company.

"I own a considerable amount of property that I charge a lot of rent for," Jake explained. "The rest of my money is in the stock market."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 11:58:44 AM »
Not a bank, but in stocks.  "So, you\'re a broker, then.  Broker and developer," Quin guessed, because Jake had commented on property as well.  Why would he say he worked at a bank?

"Oh!  You were making a funny!  A blood bank, then?  That would be funny, ayuh.  A vampire in a blood bank.  Perfect stuff."  Quin frowned to himself and spilled a little of his coffee while he gestured to his coworker.  "Does Kerr know you\'re moonlighting?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
Jake nodded his head as Quin called him a broker and developer. It was a more accurate description, and Jake prided Quin on his intelligence while drunk. Jake saw that the barista was busy, and quickly scanned to make sure mortals weren\'t paying attention. Jake laughed when Quin said "blood bank." For Jake, such a statement had a double meaning. The bank, a place which holds blood money of one sort or another, and a real human blood bank. Whether Quin meant it as a high brow pun Jake didn\'t know, but he\'d most certainly taken it that way.

In truth, Jake didn\'t know if Kerr knew about his other dealings. He\'d never hid them, but they\'d never had a discussion about them either. Jake just assumed the other Oligarchs all had something on the side. It just seemed natural to him.

"To be honest Quin I have no idea," Jake answered. "I assume if it were a problem I would have been yelled at by now."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
Quin found the explanation of Jake\'s knowing if he\'d done by measure of yelling to be deliciously funny.  He sprayed coffee on the counter top and also down his shirt, unable to hold the liquid in his mouth through his laughter.  A few people around him protested and threw the pair of them dirty looks.  Quin was oblivious to them, holding his stomach and sides with his arms (after setting the large coffee cup down with a thump on the spat-upon counter), as though they would split due to his hysterics.

"Hoo hoo hoo haa!" he hooted, "I thought I was the only one who discovered the rules by breaking them!"  He gave Jake a hearty slap on the back, once he\'d regained a little control, and almost fell off his stool doing so.  Almost, but he caught himself.  "I like you, Mister Jake.  Very much."  He caught some of the foul looks cast his way by the people around him and challenged them with a baleful stare.  "Got a problem?"