Author Topic: Romantic Notions  (Read 11732 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Romantic Notions
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
He breathed a grateful laugh and managed to smile down at her, at last.  "No, you\'re right.  He knows where I am and he doesn\'t hate you, he freely allows me this time with you.  I think... I think he understands how... well, a relationship - our relationship - can be such hard work sometimes.  He knows how much I appreciate my time with you.  I think you\'re my reward," he chuckled, belatedly hoping she wasn\'t offended by being told she was his relief from the daily grind, his chance to relax and allow his creative side to blossom.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »
"Your reward, am I?" she repeated, her lips twisting as she pondered what such a thing could mean.  "Less of a Cinderella and more a piece of chocolate?" she asked, digging her index finger into his ribs before moving away from him a little.  She\'d believed Kerr had cleared his desire to see her with his boyfriend, rather than the idea of Ben dictating when Kerr could or couldn\'t spend time with her.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
"Okay, enough poking me, woman!" he roared, tossing his own shoes aside and rapidly wending his arms beneath hers and about her waist.  He picked her up, his free hands falling to cup her delectable derriere and the natural conclusion to the manoeuvre her wrapping her legs about his waist (though he anticipated she might resist that, and so he held her against him, his face pressed into her throat once more).

"All this talk of you being so edible is hardly helping me stay away from you," he hissed, and suddenly he was kissing and sucking at her throat, scraping her pulse with his fangs and tonguing her warm flesh hungrily.  Though the move had begun playfully, to make her laugh and giggle as he swung her about, it had turned rapidly serious once she was close again.  Her words about writhing on the sand echoed in his brain and he began to think on that, fantasising about laying her down and dropping down on top of her.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »
She squealed, then did resist him, letting her legs hang down rather than wrapping them around him, her hands on his shoulders.  When he continued along the realm of flirting-toward-seriousness, she pushed those hands firmly against him, attempting to lever herself away, though it was futile.

"Put me down, Kerr," she said gently but humourlessly, and her tone was one that would brook no argument.  She wasn\'t looking him in the eyes either, instead choosing to stare down between them.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
Her tone of voice stilled his actions against the column of her throat but he didn\'t do as she said immediately, instead taking a moment to get himself under control.  He swallowed and she would likely hear the grating of it, even over the sound of the whispering waves, for it was right by her ear and there felt to be a lump the size of an apple in his throat.

After a few moments he allowed her to slide to the sand in a controlled manner, his hands coming to rest on her waist and his head bowed as it had been when he\'d been nibbling at her neck.  She was in his peripheral vision but he couldn\'t bear to make eye contact yet, too embarrassed by how easily he\'d got carried away, by his body\'s quickening.  He was being ridiculous and they both knew it; only it had taken her saying something for it to stop.

"I\'m sorry," he eventually whispered, his voice hoarse.  Whether she heard him or not was uncertain, but the words gave him the strength to break away from her and go to collect his shoes and one of the socks that had tumbled out and begun to blow away.  When he returned to her side, he shifted his weight from one foot to the other, glancing from her towards the car they\'d been slowly making their way back to.

"I should take you home," he said sadly and he thought of Ben, back at the Chambers, possibly waiting for him, most likely away doing his own thing as he usually did.  Shame swelled and he focussed on it, trying his best to exaggerate it so that it wouldn\'t easily be forgotten.  Jenna shouldn\'t be the one pushing him away; he should have the ability to hold himself back, for Ben\'s sake if no-one else\'s.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
Jenna was at a loss; her desire to wrap herself within Kerr\'s arms again was strong, yet her head told her that it would only complicate things.  They\'d not only tread a fine line, they\'d trampled it.

"That sounds a good idea," she said once Kerr spoke about taking her home.  She brought her arms up and hugged her sandals to her chest, getting no warmth from them but gaining a little bit of comfort.  They slowly walked in silence halfway back to the car before she spoke again.

"I enjoyed tonight," she said, not wanting to wait until they were in the car and she was delivered to her place in case he was eager to race off in his embarrassment.  "And I want to do it again.  If we did something rash tonight, there would be no more \'again\'," she explained.

I rejected you because I don\'t want to lose you, her words meant.  She knew Kerr was intelligent enough to understand.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
"If we did something rash, there\'d be no more of a lot of things," he sighed in agreement, thinking that he\'d be in trouble with Ben if he even came home with her blood in him.  He anticipated they\'d fight but he didn\'t know that for sure; he\'d been met with surprising leniency on the Cain matter... Jenna was on their list of agreed \'no go\' things, though.  Her and Ichabod.  That much they had got sorted and Ben knew what he was like when he fed, especially from a former lover... Ben would ban him from seeing her on that principle alone, he thought.

Dourly, he pondered whether such an eventuality might be for the best.  He was hardly at his most controlled, his most lucid when she was near him.  Ben would go with him to an opera or a ballet if he wished it, he didn\'t need Jenna for that, so what was his goal?  He had to admit that it was simply... proximity.  He liked being close to her, he missed her company, he wanted her as a friend.  She was one of the few good things in his life that hadn\'t been tainted.  Mainly because she was a fuckload smarter than he was.

"I\'ll do better.  I\'ll get better... at this," he promised, his expression hopeful as he gazed at her, his brown eyes large in the night.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 05:47:48 AM »
The duplicitous nature of her internal reaction at his words concerned her. What she truly wanted she wouldn\'t get, and this was why she was pushing him away, as she\'d told him. He understood, so why couldn\'t she push her emotions into that place?

She\'d always found it hard to get over her lovers. Just as well she\'d only had a few (and had very little contact with the other men she\'d invited into her bed, mostly an email or phone call here or there as they jetsetted about the world). Obviously she had a problem letting go.

They arrived at the car before she replied.

"We both will," she said, knowing she had to take responsibility for their flirting also.  They had to tone it down, they really did, or things would get too intense between them.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »
He smiled - sadly, though he was trying to bolster them both out of this horrid funk of guilt with the gesture - as he opened the car door for her.  As she moved to get in, he placed a hand on her waist and delayed her, leaning his face down beside hers and nuzzling his cheek against hers, knowing the sea air and lack of blood made him icy to the touch - and her extra hot.

"Thank you," he said softly, "for being the sane one."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »
She smiled warmly when he nuzzled her, feeling as though she didn\'t really deserve the thanks because she\'d been flirting with him just as much as he with her.  She didn\'t refuse his thanks or pull away, figuring it was a nicer way to end their night like this, with his cold cheek on hers.

Jenna was already looking forward to their next outing.