Author Topic: There was a man who had a dog  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
There was a man who had a dog
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
"Clap everyone!" Digital cried with ecstasy, his palms smacking together to help create a cacophony of percussive sound while he and his followers (who he referred to as \'the troupe\' due to the musical nature of their name) sang a childhood tune.  "N-G-O!" They clapped twice, then "N-G-O!" and a couple more claps, "N-G-O! and Bingo was his name-o!"

They were interrupted in their regular early evening ritual when there was a knock on the door.  All eyes turned to Digital for his savant guidance as to who it could possibly be.

"Pizza!" he called out, for he\'d overheard Adam ordering it on his phone while Digital was waking from his daytime slumber.  Perhaps not such a grand feat for one heralded as a true prophet, but he\'d made many correct predictions in front of his growing clan - enough for them to become devoted followers, and certainly enough for a ripple of applause to pass through the group while one of the mortals - Adam - raced to the front door in order to collect the pizza in question, for him and his other mortal friend.

"More than just pizza will come tonight, kin," he said, pointing at the vampiric quantity of his fellowship.  "A powerful ally will be among our number very soon."

His words inspired a hush among them, for even though they\'d wanted to go out in search for some more mortal followers (as two mortals shared between a fledgling and three neophyte vampires was somewhat thin pickings), the idea of having a powerful ally was also beneficial and desirable.

"Who will our ally be?" the fledgling asked, who\'d been the first to join Digital and the first one to begin recruiting others.

"The rabbit!  The rabbit!  There\'ll be rabbits in clothes!" Digital yelled before growing silent and looking at his startled follower.  "No clue," he said soberly before turning towards the open doorway where he could hear Adam returning to the lounge where they held their singing meetings.  He couldn\'t smell pizza, strangely.

"Must\'ve been kids or something," Adam said with a shrug when he re-entered the room.

"Then let\'s go out and look for them!" Digital suggested with a wolfish grin.  He got a small cheer for his suggestion, from two of his little group.  They were obviously wanting to roam the countryside for a bit.  Considering the mansion they\'d taken over, there was a lot of land to roam while still being on the property itself.  Chances were, if kids had visited their front door and run off, they were still around to be caught.  He didn\'t have any visions of capturing children or teenagers, but his prophecies usually came unbidden.

Digital reached for his white fur coat and Dr Seuss hat, handily nearby.  He was barefoot but couldn\'t be bothered finding his boots.  He was quite the vision, in tight black jeans, a white mink coat and a red and white striped tall cat-in-the-hat hat.  His favourite pair of white jeans were in the wash, after last night\'s revelry.  Adam had forgotten to hang them on the line during the daytime while Digital slept, but he\'d forgiven the mortal.

The small group of two mortals and four vampires bustled out through the front door and onto the paved driveway.  Instinctively, Digital turned right and headed for the overgrown gardens there.  He had one from his group following while the others fanned out and went their own way.  He moved as though with a purpose, though he didn\'t really know what his senses were telling him - only that he was heading for something important.

He\'d moved through quite dense foliage before he came out into the slightly overgrown formal English garden clearing, where there was a wrought iron bench and some dying rose bushes and shrubs surrounded in weeds.  Sitting on the bench, as though she were expecting him, was a very beautiful woman.

"Ancient one," Digital declared, and took a single step forward so he could get down on one knee and bow his head like a knight of old.  He heard rather than saw his follower behind him doing the same thing, mimicking his leader.  "We are your Bingo Knights."
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: There was a man who had a dog
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »
Brianna could here the sounds of singing emitting from the house, something about bingo but she couldn’t be sure. She was far to focused at the task at hand, through her creeping around the outskirts of the house. She could see six people in the house, at least on the ground level. A small number of devote followers; mind you she was probably the only one who knew of their existence at the moment. Not even Kerr and his spies, if they were to be called that knew of this; pity he had fired her out of haste.

She made her way slowly towards the door; she stopped at the once beautiful fountain. She listened to make sure it was still within her favor to move. She raced to the door and knocked, her celerity was advanced. He wouldn’t be able to reach the door before she got back into a perfect hiding place. A man came to the door; she studied him as his head twisted and turned to understand what just happened. Someone should be their but he was so confused he reentered the house.

Easy entry, not a lot of security, she thought. The door opened and members of the house poured out. Their were all so young, this might be easier than she thought and she was put at ease. She turned towards the gardens in such a speed even their eye’s wouldn’t catch the sight of her, the garden was over grown but she managed to find a bench. It wouldn’t be long before the group joined her.

It was a beautiful night, she stared at the stars before she heard the words, “Ancient One.” She turned her head to find the leader bowing, “You may rise. Are you the one that I seek? The one of visions? ” Her voice was soft and nurturing as she spoke towards him. He was young and she had a soft spot for children.        

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »
The one of visions.  He was silent for a moment as he considered her words, how apt they were.  The others had been calling him a Prophet, a Fortune Teller, a Visionary.  He wasn\'t any of those things, he just heard voices and saw movies in his head every now and then.  Sometimes they made sense, sometimes they didn\'t, sometimes they came true, sometimes they didn\'t.  They didn\'t seem to mind his hit and miss nature.  Kerr had put stock in them.

His heart grew a little sadder when thinking of his old friend - a vampire he hadn\'t seen in over two years and knew would destroy him on sight if he did.  Their falling out had been a very bad one.

"I am," he replied finally, and heard his follower (the one behind him, while the others were all traipsing around other areas of the property), take in breath - likely to say something.  Digital put out a staying hand behind him, in order to shush the other (and he still didn\'t know which one it was that had followed him here).  He maintained the respectful silence that he wanted.  The Ancient One had asked a question, and received an answer, and that was how this conversation would continue until she wanted more.  Vampires as old as she were not to be spoken to in haste.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:40:45 AM »
“I see,” a small smile grew on her face. She arose from the bench slowly like a graceful swan. Her eye’s never leaving his, his followers was few in numbers. A few mortals and a small number of neophytes occupied his faction, nothing more. She wasn’t about to call this a cult but his numbers may grow and quickly. She needed to act promptly; she hadn’t spent her days after her being fired from the Oligarchy for nothing.

Oh Kerr, she thought. If only he had seen the more important things than just Lazarus. Brianna stepped towards him in a defensive manner, “What is your name?” She withdrew a cigarette from her package that was inside of her black coat; she twirled the white stick in her fingers. It was if she was thinking two steps ahead of everyone, she knew more than he thought but for now she would play it dumb at least for the time being.

Saccharin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
Yes, he\'d followed Digital out, but he didn\'t consider himself a follower; he was a disciple. Even if someone told him that it was just another word for follower, he would\'ve rolled his eyes at them and pointed out that Jesus\' dudes were called disciples, and Digital was about as close to Jesus as he\'d ever been, so he was a fucking disciple.

Unlike the disciples in the Bible, he hadn\'t had to abandon his old life in order to follow his messiah - that\'d happened years ago. He\'d been in a drug haze for most of it, so couldn\'t say exactly how long ago he\'d left home, but he\'d figured out after some rough calculations on his fingers that he\'d left at 13 and was probably 20 by now, give or take, so he\'d been on the streets for something like 7 years. He\'d become something of a professional beggar, his efforts bolstered by his total lack of dignity. He\'d do anything for money, food or a place to sleep.

Well, there\'d been that one dude who\'d offered him a crumpled five dollar bill for his shoes while it was fucking snowing, but because he was pretty attached to keeping his toes, he\'d declined.

That\'d just been the once, though. Beyond that, he\'d do anything. He\'d even keep his mouth shut and kneel proper (until she said to rise, then he stood) when he wanted nothing more than to ask why the fuck it was that Digital was referring to the bitch on the bench as an ancient. She was beautiful in an ethereal way like most vampires, and kind of scary with the liquid way she moved, but it was difficult to think of her as ancient because she didn\'t look much older than he did. But Digital had called her old, so she had to be old. Whatever.

He brushed a few lank curls of dark brown hair from his equally dark eyes and regarded her down the side of his nose, with his head tilted just so. "He\'s Digital. I\'m Finn," he supplied, even though she hadn\'t even looked his way since they\'d come to her. Maybe it was because Digital was so tall and he\'d been behind him the entire time. Finn stepped up so he was standing next to rather than behind Digital.

Stuffing his hands in his jeans pockets, he wished fervently that he\'d thought to bring out his cigarettes or that the lady had been decent enough to offer them one before twirling it around like she was.

Ancient though she might be, she was still a fucking tease.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »
Digital was pleased with the prompt answer his follower - Finn! as it turned out - and nodded, his yellow-goggled eyes never leaving the Ancient.  He wanted to go to her, but didn\'t want to do more than move off his knee because she\'d only told him he could rise - she hadn\'t said anything about approaching her.  If he was the Prophet, then she was the Queen.  He sensed most of his followers would remain his, even though she was higher on the heirachy.  There was much to be said for ritual and faith.

He wanted to spill a million words to her, to tell her about the visions that were clamouring in his brain.  He wanted to tell the voices to hush while he was in her presence.  It didn\'t seem respectful to hear their cacophany as they shrieked and cackled.  At least they didn\'t have a volume outside of his head, other than whatever he thought bore repeating.

His silence might\'ve confused Finn, who\'d felt he had to talk for him, but Digital was finally struck mute.  For the moment, anyway.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »
The mortal moved forward and spoke for the man that she did seek, she swirveled her head and flashed Finn a smile. The ciggerate she twirled in her fingers was neatly tucked behind her ear then she gave him a nod, maybe she would have use for him. He was the only one to take charge in front of Digital, she could see someone dedictaed to the cause. How dedicated remained undetermined at the moment.

As she examined Finn she could see out of her peripheral vision, Digital standing silently and this caused for concern. She walked towards Finn and Digital who stood side by side, she reached into her coat for ciggerates and a lighter. "Here, I see your dedication to Digital," she smiled warmly at Finn, "Take what you need then pass them to the others," she said passing off the items to him.

She focused her attention on Digital, "You seem quiet. Do you not have questions for me," her voice was puzzled. She could see that he had much to tell her and she was ready to listen. She took the ciggerate from her ear and placed it once again inbetween her fingers. She would wait for the lighter to make it\'s way back to her before she lit up herself.

Saccharin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »
The cigarettes and lighter didn\'t remain in her hand for long before he snatched the items from her, like he was afraid she\'d take them back if he hesitated. With the practiced movements of a longtime smoker, he flipped open the box, tugged a cigarette free (he was pleased the tobacco had already been packed toward the filter) and lit it once he had it between his lips.

After he\'d filled his lungs with smoke, the pack went into his front jeans pocket, but the lighter he returned to \'the ancient one\'. Despite her instructions to share, he had absolutely no plans of doing so. Cigarettes were expensive; times were hard. He\'d be an idiot to give them up. Since no one had followed Digital but him, they wouldn\'t know they\'d been stiffed, either, so there wasn\'t any harm in keeping them for himself.

He puffed at the cigarette as he watched Digital and the lady, wondering if Digital would find his voice and what he\'d say once he did so.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
The voices were feverish, rising to a crescendo in his mind that he couldn\'t separate and distinguish between.

"STOP!" he commanded, thrusting his arms out from either side of his body, looking like a demented version of Jesus as depicted by Dr Seuss, thanks to his pimped outfit.

He\'d scrunched his eyes shut behind his goggles in order to force out that single word, and once he realised it had extinguished the gaggle of whispering, shouting and gleeful opinions of those that perpetually lived in his head, he peeked out of one eye to see Brianna staring at him expectantly.  He supposed that being so Ancient, she\'d probably seen it all.  Finn, on the other hand, was staring at him.  Digital didn\'t turn his head to see what expression was on the human\'s face beside him - he only lowered his hands back to his sides (and had missed smacking Finn on the shoulder by a hair, it seemed), and looked plaintively at Brianna before him.

"The voices were a bit loud," he said while nodding.  She would understand, he was certain.  She must know about his voices, if she knew about his visions.  He couldn\'t have one without the other.   "Are you here to watch over us?" he asked, because asking if she was here to join them seemed a bit presumptuous.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »
Brianna accepted the lighter back from Finn; she seemed as if his actions didn\'t bother the ancient at all. She was not pleased, but she smiled at Finn all the same. Finn was not hers to discipline; at least not yet.

Cigarettes were a frivolous item to her; a woman of her stature could afford more at a notices whim.  She stuck the cigarette in her lips, lighting the end of the ‘white cancer stick’; before the lighter found its way back in her jacket pocket.

She only inhaled once before Digital startled her, her brown eye’s with masses of black swirls within locked onto Digital like a hawk on its prey. She brushed his mind gently, as to get a glimpse in his psyche; she regretted the idea almost immediately. She felt mentally fatigued a little, his voices were deafening; they wanted to be heard. It was like hearing the lost souls in the abyss, the wane and cry’s of long ago.

She puffed on the white stick, “Of course,” She exhaled away from Digital, “To watch, to guard and to guide you all.” She cooed sweetly, she had searched long and hard for this elusive man. She was not here for just one reason; evil was afoot back in the city. Digital mind’s was at stake, he was vulnerable; and she was relieved that ‘he’ the ones name she despised most had not found him.

Not yet, a faint but familiar voice whispered.