Author Topic: Filling In Time  (Read 18279 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Filling In Time
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:28:21 AM »
Kerr was beginning to get bored.  With his lips pressed closed, he was strolling around the anthropological section of the Museum pushing air into his cheeks so that they blew up in bulbous rhythms, this playful gesture the antithesis of the the very dashing black tuxedo and crisp, white formal shirt he was wearing so suavely.  His hands were in his pants pockets, beneath the lapels of his finely-cut jacket, his shiny black shoes reflecting the mood lighting of the museum as he stepped in a playful, straight-legged manner about the floor, filling in time until Jenna was ready.

It was Tuesday night and he\'d been so worried about behaving himself this time, about keeping their musical date civil and fraternal, that he\'d turned up almost half an hour before their pre-arranged meeting time.  Jenna had her clothes to change into here at work but she was still finishing some things off at this early stage and, because he could tell he\'d flustered her by turning up early, he\'d backed out of her lab area and promised to amuse himself in the section just outside until she was done.

That was ten minutes ago, though, and he still had another twenty or so to fill in.  And he\'d seen these exhibits a hundred times already, so now he was making his own fun, walking like a member of a drunken marching band and blowing up his cheeks like the trumpeter might.  Trumpeteer?  Yes, he imagined that was a better word for what he was being, with ghastly sounds coming out of his mouth.  Of course, it being not long after six o\'clock, the museum was pretty well deserted by now, so he was confident he had the whole area to himself; that was, until he rounded a large glass case keeping a distance between the public and the model of the indigenous people forever frozen within it and found he wasn\'t.

Another was here, in this section, looking in his direction as he came around the corner.  He came to a stop, his puffed-up cheeks deflating instantly and all thoughts of what Ben and Ichabod might be getting up to at that precise moment flying out of his head.  He smiled winningly at the person standing before him, all shiny white teeth and twinkling brown eyes (for he was bemused to have been caught eyeing off how he looked in the reflection of the glass rather than at what was within said case)

"Evening," he bade, his voice bright and filled with the confidence only someone secure in his anonymity could muster (though he was busy thinking about his own silliness and not paying too much attention to what the other looked like, so he could\'ve known them after all).  He then waited for a vague return of his greeting so that he could continue on his merry, bored way, pacing and puffing as he went.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Filling In Time
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »
Seb had been strolling around the museum for about an hour, enjoying seeing the way the place had changed since he’d last been here. There were a couple of exhibits which were almost exactly the same, the there had been a few major refurbishments. Seb had been incredibly amused to find they had actually managed to procure a portrait of him and this time it actually looked at though the artist had seen him at some point. Most of them looked as though they had just painted someone who had nothing to do which him - which they probably had.

He’d been alone in the room for a while, but felt someone join him a while ago. Seb had caught a couple of glimpses of the dark haired vampire, but kept his distance, expecting him to move on pretty quickly. Ten minutes later though he was still there and didn’t look to be going anywhere else. So Seb decided to stop skulking and positioned himself where the suited guy would find him.

Seb wasn’t looking at any of the displays as Kerr rounded the case - it was obvious he was waiting for the other man and a smile spread over his face as he saw the dark vampire’s playful demeanour fade away into a more anonymous expression. He was wearing a pair of well fitting designer jeans and a grey t-shirt. A long black coat, made of a lightweight material completed the look and for the vampire was more for show that to proect him against the elements.

“Good evening,” Sebastian responded with a nod, moving towards the Irishman. “Is there some sort of event going on tonight I’m crashing inappropriately?” he asked, gesturing towards Kerr’s beautifully tailored tuxedo and knowing very well there were no events going on in the museum tonight. He definitely cut a fine figure in that tux though, Seb almost wished there was some sort event that he could whisk him away from.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
Glad for the opportunity to engage in a little conversation, Kerr tilted his head as the other approached, a chuckle now accompanying his cheeky grin.  His right hand also snuck out of his pants pocket and adjusted the tie at his throat, but it faltered slightly as the impression of an aged vampire worked its way into his bones, encouraging his knees to buckle.

Humbly, the hand morphed into a fist that he held over his heart and he dropped to a knee, his gaze respectfully downcast and head bowed.  "It is an honour to meet you, old one," he murmured reverently and the need to prostrate himself began to fade as he indulged it.  It allowed him to regain his feet once his subservient gesture was acknowledged by Sebastian, and then he continued speaking normally, as if it had never happened. His hand stole back into his pants pocket as well.

"And no, I have a date elsewhere - going to see \'Mary Poppins\' at the performing arts centre in an hour... or so.  My date\'s just finishing some work up out the back, so I\'m wandering about here, filling in time," he laughed again, gesturing vaguely towards the rear of the building, where the staircases and lifts to the administrative labs were.  His gaze roved subtly over the ancient before it lifted back to his eyes.  "What brings you here at this time?"

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:44:06 AM »
Seb raised an eyebrow slightly as Kerr dropped to one knee, but then a warm smile crossed his face. It had been a long time since someone had behaved so reverently towards him and Seb allowed himself a moment to bask in it before he stepped forwards to lightly touch Kerr’s head.

“Rise, child,” he said softly, before stepping back to allowed Kerr to rise to his feet. As Kerr continued s though nothing had happened Seb did the same. It was nice to have been acknowledged as being the elder, the prostration didn’t need to go on to keep the Saint happy.

“I see,” Seb murmured, his gaze flickering in the direction Kerr gestured, where Jenna was finishing up. Well, something like that was definitely something which could be missed and done another time, but he was so dressed up and his date was just back there - it wouldn’t be like taking his attention away from a party where no one would miss him.

“I came here some time ago - and now I’m back I thought I would see what in the city has changed. The museum was next on my list and they have made some marked improvements - I assume your date will have had something to do with that?” he asked. With the vampire before him dressed as he was, he guessed his date wasn’t going to be a custodian.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:23:05 AM »
Kerr\'s smile was suddenly infused with pride and his thoughts were distracted from pondering how much information his spies might have gathered on this ancient (due to their potential power, close tabs were always paid to such beings and Kerr sensed this one was around as old as Lazarus; two thousand years\' experience was not something to be taken lightly).

"Well, yes.  She\'s brought a number of excellent cultural exhibits to the museum in the time she\'s been working here - she travels and researches extensively to expose this city to the most obscure artifacts she can procure.  I find she has an admirable ability to talk people reluctant to lend out their precious cultural items into doing things no-one else can get them to do - being charismatic can get you a long way in this world, still," he chuckled conspiratorially, knowing an ancient would have met such beings.  He seemed one himself (although that could just be the superior age playing havoc with Kerr\'s sensibilities, too).

"How long have you been away from the city?  I assume you have a home here?" he enquired politely.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:47:50 AM »
“It is quite a skill. I haven’t seen a collection this extensive in some time. They’re lucky to have one with such skill,” Seb said, feeling the happy glow coming from the younger vampire at the praise of his woman and quite content to oblige with a little more. He had indeed met many who seemed to possess a gift with their tongue, to be able to persuade anyone to do anything. Sebastian himself could be persuasive at times - but occasionally he fell back on his God given gift of vampirism, to help the matters along with his mental skills.

He paused for a few seconds at Kerr\'s polite questioning, considering his answer and what he\'d said before whilst just making idle chit chat.

“Perhaps my previous phrasing was somewhat misleading. I do have a home here. And I wasn’t away as such, I went to ground about thirty years ago. A suddenly leap in time can make the changes in the world all the more obvious,” Seb explained to the youngster. Seb saw no reason to hide it when asked, he’d always preferred to speak out than to hide secrets, especially to another vampire who’d given him no reason to mistrust him yet.

“My name is Sebastian,” he added, inclining his head in the tiniest bow and giving a warm, inviting smile to the Irishman, expecting to be given a name in return and making no attempt to delve for it into the other’s mind.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
Kerr blinked before his eyes widened as the phrase \'went to ground\' sank in and he understood what was being said.  He was the second vampire he\'d met who\'d done it, though had not had the luxury of questioning Halwyn on the subject (the first time they\'d met had been less than friendly and the second... hadn\'t been too far different, really) and it intrigued he and Ben very much.

"Really?" he breathed, then realised it sounded stupid coming after the ancient had introduced himself like that.  He blushed (for he\'d fed well this evening, in preparation for a night spent in Jenna\'s company - it made it easier to resist the temptation that she was) at his ridiculously-timed interjection and fumbled a correction like a school boy might before his teacher.

"Oh, um, I mean my name is Kerr, I\'m pleased to meet you.  You... you\'re saying you\'ve been asleep for thirty years and only just woken up?" he enquired, his expression and tone showing his awe and curiosity clearly.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 03:55:39 AM »
Seb gave an indulgent smile as Kerr’s amazement seemed to make it difficult for him to form a response. He waited patiently for the Irishman to gather his thoughts though, he was in no rush.

Kerr… now that name rang a bell. He’d spent the night with Lucy a few nights back, having her fill him in on all she knew about the city and how it worked now, and although she didn’t know as many details as Seb really wanted - after all, she was only human and getting on a bit now - she had heard a few names and Kerr was one of them. He’d rewarded her well, giving her more money, then a night she wouldn’t forget for many years. Despite her age - she was getting into her mid fifties now - she was still beautiful and had been more than enthusiastic.

Then he’d released her from her need to come to the house to make sure it was alright. He hadn’t meant to sleep as long as he had and felt a little like he’d stolen more than half of her life. She had a husband, and a child, but she’d never been anywhere for more than a few nights since he’d gone to ground. Lucy had been delighted with the three month around the world tickets he’d given her for herself and her husband and then she’d gone.

“About a week ago, yes. I had suffered a loss, and hiding myself away to forget it seemed like a better option than killing myself,” he said with a smile. He was quite happy to talk about it now, the pain had faded with time although it was still there

“You said your name is Kerr… Galvin?” he asked, folding his hands behind his back, tilting his head to one side slightly. He’d imagined the Luminary, the one in charge of this city, to be one with a little more age - but sense and knowledge didn’t necessarily come with age, he knew that well enough.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
Kerr winced and his expression became rueful as he looked at the ancient, fighting off new pulses of desire - to submit to him.  Apparently, his weakness could come in waves, which was very annoying, since they were now discussing his lack of anonymity and achieved ruling position instead.  There went his belief that he\'d escaped embarrassing himself with his original silly behaviours; apparently, he could never relax in public.  Something he needed to remember, he supposed.

"Ah.  I see you\'ve been cleverly educating yourself on the changes in the city since you woke up," he said, giving a wry chuckle.  "Yes.  I\'m Kerr Galvin, though you come upon me here tonight as a man intending to take a good friend out to a show and not as the Luminary, necessarily," he warned gently, wanting to make the distinction that he had a private life.  He softened the message with a shrug that appealed for understanding from Sebastian, before he changed the subject (hopefully) off himself and back onto the fascinating ancient.

"Tell me... what\'s the process one goes through when one intends to go to sleep for thirty years?  And how do you know when to wake up?" he enquired, instinctively mirroring Sebastian\'s head tilt as he relaxed and shifted his weight onto his left leg, his right foot thrust forward towards the object of his interest.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
“Only a few little bits and pieces,” Seb said, shaking his head slightly. There was more he wanted to know, but he understood the desire for anonymity and so didn’t request any further information at this time. He could always go to see the Luminary during his office hours.

He smiled as Kerr asked about his time asleep and turned slightly, gesturing for them to take a seat on one of the benches which was positions facing the display case beside them. It was nice having someone to talk to, someone who wasn’t just wanting him to drink from them or fuck. That was nice every now and again, but it was relaxing to have someone to just chat with and explain things to.

“I wanted to just bury myself, but I sorted out a few things first. I had my house - there was a woman I know, Lucy, I asked her to look after things… with a little mental encouragement she’s been keeping everything looked after, she was the one who updated me on everything when I woke up. She got me a mobile phone, but it‘s not like I have anyone‘s number,” Seb said with a chuckle, before giving a shrug and going on.

“I didn’t know when to wake up. I think I’d been sleeping for only a week the first time I woke, but I simply went back to sleep. And when I woke this time I didn’t know how long I’d been asleep. But I felt like I could stand to face the world again,” Seb said, resting his hands on his knees,  which were twisted towards the younger vampire.

“I didn’t intend sleeping for so long,” he added, resisting the urge to go on to ask his own questions in return, happy to keep Kerr feeling comfortable for now.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
Kerr willingly sat beside Sebastian, his legs spread and his torso leaning forward towards the ancient, his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped before him.  He nodded as he was told the elder had simply wished to sleep and felt he could relate; perhaps his relationship with Ben would be very different now if he\'d simply slept away thirty years.

"So... it fixes a broken heart, then.  I\'ll keep that in mind as an option," the Irishman joked, his brogue rolling gently around his mouth as he grinned cheekily up at the ancient.  Something subservient within him was satisfied by his quasi-submissive position and looking up through his lashes - at a man who doubtlessly looked chronologically younger than him - seemed the natural thing to do.

"And by saying \'go to ground\' do you literally mean that?  You buried yourself in the earth?  You must have woken up starving were you?" he enquired, his eyes dancing with curiosity.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »
“Not fix, that’s not the right word… more like… when I woke it seemed like a dream. I was numbed to it somewhat, but not completely. Time made it easier to bare,” Seb corrected gently.  There  was nothing that would heal the wound in his heart. He had no fledglings and no intention of making one until he had a sign it was right. There was no one to replace Irene for him.

His smile grew as Kerr questioned him no intently and he gave a nod, enjoying the youthful enthusiasm of the Luminary. Maybe it was better that someone in his role wasn’t aged and thought they knew everything.

“Yes, literally. I didn’t get out of bed for a week, but I couldn’t sleep through the night. I had to get away from the sun and knowing whether it was up or down, so I buried myself as deep as I could go. Lucky there’s quite a bit of wilderness around here which wasn’t built upon whilst I was sleeping or I could be trapped under concrete forever,” he added thoughtfully, although the idea had occurred to him before he’d done it. He just hadn’t cared then.

“And fortunately I have quite a bit of self control when it comes to feeding. I wasn’t about to risk what’s left of my soul by draining the first human I saw,” he said with a playful twinkle in his eyes, his voice lowering slightly although he knew there was no one around to overhear them. Still, voices could carry.

“After smelling dirt for so long, everything seemed so fresh, looked so bright. I imagine it was like being sired again.” His siring had been so long ago though, and he’d been almost dead when Irene had found him. He could hardly remember it now and he regretted that. Some things were so clear, and others faded in time.

"What I mean is, I had things to distract me until I could feed properly," he said with a shrug.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »
Jenna had rushed through her tasks, putting most of the things that she could put off until next time she was at work into a neat pile.  She\'d quickly made the calls she needed to make - very short phone calls that were mostly status checks and follow ups - and popped her head out of a door in order to see if Kerr was nearby, to tell him that she was going to get ready now, but he\'d disappeared out of sight.

Sighing, she ducked back into her office to gather her dress and handbag that contained her cosmetics and jewellery.  Walking out of her office and through a short section of the museum in order to get to the staff toilets, she heard Kerr\'s voice - though low it carried through the tiled and marbled walls and floor of the museum - and followed it with growing curiosity in order to see who he was talking to.  Peering around an large entrance with a polite smile, she caught a glimpse of him sitting on a bench with another man, a young and good-looking man dressed smartly (but not as smartly as Kerr, understandably).  Kerr\'s back was to her so she didn\'t bother making herself known, instead backtracking so she could continue on her way to the washroom, to change clothes.

Her mind was more on the young man with Kerr than on Kerr himself, strangely.  Because he\'d been facing Kerr, he\'d been looking her way (and partly the reason why she\'d ducked back so quickly), so she\'d seen his face.  She normally didn\'t react overtly to men at first sight, so was somewhat bewildered by the way she felt all a flutter by his looks.  It seemed shallow and school-girl silly, yet she remained feeling that way.

Half of her hoped the strange man would be gone by the time she was ready to join Kerr for their outing, because she wouldn\'t have to worry about her reaction to him, while the other half of her didn\'t and wouldn\'t go away even though she tried to squash it.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
"We might have met a lot earlier - and under less auspicious circumstances - if you had," Kerr interjected with a chuckle, when Sebastian remarked that he\'d not drained the first human he\'d seen - the bit about risking his soul was interesting to Kerr.  An archaic viewpoint but all the more admirable for it.

He nodded when the ancient clarified that he\'d had things to distract him.  "I can imagine the smell of dirt lingers," Kerr smiled, pondering what it would be like to willingly bury himself beneath the earth.  He frowned as he did.  "Did you use a coffin?  Or just... burrow in?"  The thought of all that soil working its way into the folds of his clothing made Kerr want to shudder right now!

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
“Would you have had to punish me?” Seb asked with a cheeky grin. With the way Kerr was acting, and the kneel at first, he imagined it would have been difficult for the Luminary to do his work had that been the case. But everyone was different, and people behaved differently under alternate circumstances. Perhaps if their first meeting had been witnessed by anyone else, especially by those who looked up to Kerr as their leader, the younger vampire would have behaved very differently.

“I didn’t want a coffin, although Lucy tried to make me. She was convinced I would catch my death of cold… I’m not sure she ever grasped the intricacies of our kind. So yes, I burrowed in,” Seb said, his gaze flickering past Kerr as a suddenly movement caught his eye. As Jenna disappeared his blue eyes focused once again on Kerr, smiling softly.

“Talent and beauty, I imagine the young woman who just disappeared around the corner was your date for this evening? I’m quite jealous, I must admit. It must be nice to have a warm body to come home to each day. Or have you not been together that long?” Seb asked. He hadn’t sensed her as being a vampire and from the distance with the short amount of time he hadn’t caught anything else, so assumed she must be human. And with the way Kerr had been waiting so patiently for her for so long he assumed their relationship was beyond simple dating.