Author Topic: All\'s Fair  (Read 13798 times)

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
All\'s Fair
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:34:49 AM »
((Reserved for D))

Night had fallen and the majority of the museum’s members of staff had gone home for the evening apart from the security guards. Tours had finished a few hours ago and a few displays had been shut off for the night. But Seb had a feeling that the woman he was looking for would be around her somewhere still. With the way she’d had to rush to meet Kerr a couple of night before he doubted she would leave early or on time on a night she didn’t have plans.

Of course, he had been assuming she didn’t have plans. If she had and had been already gone Seb would simply have come back another time. It wasn’t as though he was in a rush.

But a light touch of the security guard’s mind had told him Jenna was still in the museum, and let him know exactly where her office lay. Seb took his time strolling there, examining a couple of the exhibits he hadn’t got to last time he’d been here, intending to give Jenna a little longer to finish off whatever work she had to do, although he guessed he would be disturbing her anyway.

Tonight he was wearing dark denim jeans which fitted snugly in all the right places, teamed with a pale grey t-shirt. Black boots and a worn looking brown leather bomber jacket, which was one of the items of clothing he’d kept from before his sleep, completed the look. He loved this jacket with with supple leather and remembered fondly the night he’d taken it from an aviator… although Seb had given the young man a night to remember in return.

The vampire’s dark hair was tousled stylishly, a look Seb was still trying to get used to after centuries of hair which fell in curls just past his shoulders. It was so much easier to keep this way though and Seb wasn’t regretting the decision yet.

The ancient stopped as he reached Jenna’s office and reached out to give a gentle tap on the door, waiting patiently outside until he heard from the young woman inside, his blue eyes sparkling in the dim light of the corridor. He was fairly impressed with himself that he’d managed to keep away for this long, and that had simply been out of respect for Kerr. But the Irishman had informed him that he and Jenna were just friends and that was all Seb needed as a go ahead. Jenna was fair game and Seb was looking forward to seeing the lively looking young woman with the intoxicating scent again, this time without her clutching onto the arm of her past lover.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: All\'s Fair
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »
Jenna was filing when Sebastian arrived.  She\'d spent most of the day on the phone and was tired of negotiating with greedy or selfish private collectors into sharing some of their pieces with the museum even for a short time.  She had more calls to make, international ones that were to be made in a couple of hours time when it was the start of their business day, but she wasn\'t looking forward to it and was doing her best to find something in order to procrastinate.  The calls weren\'t so important that they had to be made tonight, but it looked like she might be stuck making them considering her filing looked like it wasn\'t going to last longer than ten more minutes.

Sighing and sitting back in her chair, swivelling gently from left to right using her bare toes, she lifted her eyes from the pile of paperwork on the desk before her and stared vacantly at the poster on the wall opposite - not really seeing it but daydreaming instead of Kerr.  They were swooping around on the dancefloor, she was making impeccable moves and being flung around and looking as graceful as she knew she never could in reality.  Every time her gaze moved away from the gallant Kerr, she would find herself being watched adoringly by the other people in the ballroom.  In her daydream she looked back at Kerr only to find he\'d changed into Sebastian and he moved in to kiss her.

Blinking herself out of her daydream and feeling oddly guilty and flustered - idiot woman, it was a daydream, for goodness\' sake! - she began riffling through the papers searching for who knew what, when there was a gentle knock at her door.  Staring at it uncomprehendingly, trying to think who would want to speak with her, she stood up and went to it.  Her shoes remained under her desk as she moved to answer the door barefoot, expecting to see a security guard or other co-worker.  What she didn\'t expect to see, once she swung open the door, was the object of her daydream.

She could feel her face growing hot as she stared at him blankly, remembering the kiss she\'d only just imagined.  Why did he have to come right now?  Had her vision summoned him somehow?  It was incredibly bad timing, otherwise.  She realised he was smiling at her and she hadn\'t yet breathed a word.

"Hello," she said softly, feeling foolish as her heart began to pound in her chest.  She took in his whole presence, clothing and all, and felt oddly underdressed in her white business dress without shoes.  Thinking of this caused her to hide one of her feet behind her ankle.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
“Good evening,” Seb replied with a gentle incline of his head, his gaze roaming over her from her head right down to her bare toes, but with a look of admiration, skipping the sleaze. Her cheeks were flushed, and with the stunned way she’d looked at him when he’d arrived it had been so tempting to scan her mind, but Seb resisted. Often it was more fun to leave a little mystery and with Jenna that was definitely true.

“You do work some very unusual hours,” Seb said playfully, nodding towards the pile of papers he could see on her desk from where he stood in the doorway, before he lifted his hands in defence, “Not that I’m complaining. It made it much easier for me to find you.”

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
She was smiling fixedly at him, letting his deep warm voice wash over her.  It felt a little like she was being hypnotised, and she knew that vampires had such powers, but she wasn\'t so ridiculous as to think he was doing that to her.  No, this was self-inflicted.

She didn\'t look over her shoulder at the desk he was nodding at because she knew her desk and paperwork were behind her.  Her smile broadened a little at his gesture of surrender.

Really, the affect he had on her was bordering on insanity.  She\'d never felt at a loss before, feeling young and immature in his presence.  Of course the fact she knew he was around two thousand years old (thanks to Kerr\'s guess), certainly lent a hand to this emotion - but at the same time she recognised that her attraction to him was overtly physical so far.  She didn\'t know if she liked feeling this way; she liked the giddy, bubbly happiness that came with seeing him, but she didn\'t like the way it put a stopper on her brain.

"Yes, I make a lot of international calls and so I wait until it\'s a decent time in the country that I\'m calling.  Of course I could make the calls at home, but there\'s no point when I only have to wait a couple of hours and-"

And what? There was a brief pause.

"-it makes it much easier for you to find me."

Inwardly she groaned while outwardly she beamed.  She couldn\'t bear to look at him anymore, second-guessing her flirty words and thinking she probably sounded childish to him, but she found it too difficult to rip her gaze away.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
Seb listened with genuine interest as she explained her reasons for staying late. Really, that was quite some dedication, staying up most of the night just to make sure a call got put through at the earliest possible time. He guessed most humans would wait and simply do it later in the day for the person on the other side of the world.

He gave a soft chuckle at her second reason, loving the giddy smile on her face. Seb didn’t see her as childish, but charming, adorable. He loved getting what he wanted, and when the other person involved was so infectiously happy about it as well, it just made the whole experience even better. Kerr may not be best pleased, but hell, Kerr wasn’t here.

“Seems to have all worked out perfectly then,” he said, lifting a hand to lightly touching a finger to the underside of her chin, amazed by the warmth of her skin. It was like dipping a finger into hot water and he could easily imagine getting closer would be as delicious as sinking into a hot bath.

“May I come in? If you have nothing else which desperately requires your attention until you have to make those calls?” he asked, stepping closer to her, drawn in by her heat. It was a sin to give in to lust, and greed was something Seb suffered terribly with, but he couldn’t help it. Whether it was a new car to play with or a new human he wanted, he would do what he could to have it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »
When he reached a hand toward her face, she was momentarily frozen.  She expected him to stroke her cheek but when his finger went under her chin instead she thought he would lift her face up and lean down to do as he\'d done in her daydream.  Her eyes widened a little, startled at this thought, but she didn\'t pull away and he didn\'t tilt her face further upward.

She was flustered by his actions, even more so by her own.  He was very dangerous to her - not in the vampiric, deathly sort of way (in fact, due to her newly trained ability to create fire in her hands, she didn\'t feel at all intimidated or threatened by vampiric strength), but in a heady, potent lust-struck kind of way.  Her reaction in not moving away from him, even as he stepped towards her and invaded her personal space, was telling her a lot more about her behaviour to him.  She was dropping all of her rules when it came to men, and doing it at an alarming rate.

"Would you like a personal tour of the museum instead?" she asked, speaking perhaps a little too loudly to negate the sensation of breathlessness that he made her feel.  She felt safer with herself if she was walking around at his side instead of trapped in a private room with him.  If he made an advance on her here, she didn\'t trust herself to behave appropriately.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »
She was trying, well, a little anyway. She was saying the words but making no other moves to try to get out of this situation, making the offer of a tour fairly hollow. And besides, Seb had seen hundreds of museums - they all began to look much the same.

“You have a portrait of me here,” Seb said with a playful grin, before finally using his finger to tilt her chin upwards and leaning closer, moving past her lips to murmur in her ear.

“But no, thank you, not right now,” he said politely. Seb’s hand dropped to rest on Jenna’s waist as he moved his mouth to find hers, kissing her deeply without hesitation and knowing there would be little protest. The vampire guided her backwards a few steps, so that he could nudge the door shut behind them with one foot without having o break apart from her.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »
At the mention of a portrait, she was fascinated by the thought of it.  Her eyes brightened and her smile lifted before her expression froze as he tipped up her chin (as she had imagined earlier) but moved to the side of her head in order to whisper in her ear.  She was so thrilled at having him move so close to her, dancing along the edge of risque flirting, that she momentarily didn\'t understand his rejection of her offer to tour the museum.

It was one thing to daydream his kiss and another to have it forced upon her.  At first she was so shocked that her lips were inanimate until she felt his tongue slide upon them, which caused her to pull her head back swiftly.  Once she had him in sight he would see her horrified expression and there was no mistaking that for anything else.

"How dare you?" she hissed, attempting to rip herself out of his grip in order to get some space between them.  If he let her go, she would back up several steps in order to glare at him, but if he held on, he would find himself struggling to keep a polite hold on her in her wild attempts to get away.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:18 AM »
She tasted as good as she smelt, the brief taste he got at least, hinting at what lay beneath. Her blood must burn. No wonder Kerr could hardly keep away from her.

The ancient allowed her to slip from his grasp, straightening up with an innocent expression as he folded his hands behind his back. He wasn’t terribly surprised at her reaction - it could only really have gone one of two ways. She flirted and giggled, and without peaking into a woman’s head beforehand he found it hard to tell if they were so easy or a tease. He allowed himself a tiny glimpse now though and raised an eyebrow slightly at a few snapshots of her daydreams. Well, at least it hadn’t all been an act. It would be all too easy to simply wipe her mind of the past few seconds, but Seb only meddled when truly necessary.

“I believe I may have misread a signal or two there, Miss Hall,” Seb said politely, glad he’d remembered to get her surname from the guard’s mind. “Or am I mistaken now? Are you annoyed that I didn’t quite live up to the expectations of your dreams?” he added in a questioning tone, his voice lacking the sarcasm which could have accompanied such a question.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »
At the mention of her expectations and dreams she flushed, reading successfully between the lines to believe he was hinting at what she\'d only just recently imagined.  Of course someone who couldn\'t respect her space wouldn\'t respect her mind.  Other than the rise of colour tinting her cheeks, placing vivid spots of rose on them, she didn\'t show any of her shame at being found out.  His pertinence at reading her mind far outweighed an innocent straying thought, as far as she was concerned.

"I was wrong to think of you as gentlemanly as Kerr," she said coldly.  "I can see now I was badly mistaken."  She could hear a tremor in her voice, partially due to her still being flustered at his kiss and partially at her indignation that it had occurred.  "As you are so obviously aware, I am attracted to you," she said this quickly, feeling foolish even as she said it, "but that doesn\'t mean you can disregard..."

Disregard what?  Society\'s niceties?  The acceptable manner in which a man was to woo a woman?  Well, yes!

"Please leave," she said, summoning up what dignity she could muster by straightening her spine and dropping her gaze to his feet, no longer able to stare at his smiling face.  She felt absurdly as though she was overreacting, while at the same time she felt justified.  The combination of feeling such conflicting emotions were tiring her.  Sebastian himself was a conflict to her, because of Kerr, that she didn\'t need his overt manner thrust upon her as well.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
Sebastian’s smile slid away into a frown as her tone turned icy. Did she really think Kerr had never sneaked a peak into her mind? Or perhaps Kerr just had the good sense not to mention when he did. Apparently a lot of his social skills had disappeared during his sleep - he hadn’t been able to even get himself to give a fledging the time of day a few nights ago and now everything was falling apart which had looked so promising with Jenna. Simple people he could handle - they said what they wanted and didn’t care how he treated them - perhaps Risk had been a bad place to start easing himself back into society. It was giving him bad habits.

“Jenna, I apologise. My sleep has made me forget myself somewhat and there’s something about you. Kerr obviously feels it too. But as you request, I will leave you alone.” The vampire bowed slightly to the young woman, before turning to head to the door.

“I will remain in the museum a while… I would be happy to accept that tour if you decide I may be worthy of a little of your time,” he added, glancing back over his shoulder at her before heading silently out into the corridor, not giving her a chance to protest. As tempting as it had been to stay and try to win her round, she had asked him to leave and he didn’t want to upset her for now by forcing his company on her.

He made his way upstairs a few floors, and quickly located the room dedicated to portraits more than artefacts. Seb could feel their eyes on him as he made his way to the large painting of himself, tied up and with several arrows protruding from his body. He looked so... fragile. But it was better than some he\'d seen, and it didn\'t have Irene in it. He could barely remember that night and it’s events, but he knew the anger he’d felt and being so disregarded. Having his opinions rejected and to be murdered for them - but then Irene had come.

Sebastian sank down onto a bench and became as still as a statue, letting his mind go blank. He couldn’t let himself sink into that pit of thinking of her again and he desperately hoped Jenna would figure out where to find him (and that she would come at all) before those thoughts of his sire did creep in again.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
His sleep?  What on earth did that mean?  Kerr hadn\'t mentioned to her that Sebastian had hibernated in the way vampires sometimes did - she didn\'t even know such a thing occurred - and she hadn\'t been about to provoke Kerr with more questions about the Ancient she\'d only met in passing.  She had no time to ponder it as he bowed to her while excusing himself, remaining a little longer to let her know he would be hanging around in hope of a tour she no longer wished to give.

Once he left her office she closed the door behind him, though softly, letting the latch click into place and keeping her hand pressed against the door as though she had ESP and could feel him go.  She didn\'t hear his footsteps leave, however, and frowned at the door for a long moment before flinging it open once again, only to find the space empty.  Feeling idiotic, she shut it almost as quickly, this time the door banged a little as it shut and she moved quickly back to her desk.

She sat upon her chair but didn\'t look at her paperwork, nor attempted to make any calls on the phone.  The fingertips of her right hand were pressed against her lips, the memory of his sudden move tingling upon them.  She was still angry at him for acting on the impulse of her flirting, but angrier still at herself for sending him the signals he\'d accused her of doing.  Perhaps that was why she\'d reacted as she had; hearing his knowledge about her desire for him had been confronting in a brutally honest way.  Still, he\'d read her mind, and she had an inkling he was not the only vampire who\'d done so.  Another reason why she\'d been disappointed to find he was such a creature.

After half an hour and still staring at nothing and going over her thoughts, she decided to call it a night.  She wouldn\'t be able to focus properly on any calls, and the paperwork seemed unimportant to her right now.  Picking up the pile of a dozen papers, she dropped them into her IN basket to deal with tomorrow (or she could just give them to Corinne) and toed on her shoes.  She thought about Sebastian and the fact he would be lurking around somewhere near his portrait (and she knew almost every inch of the museum well, and there were only a few portraits scattered around the place - it wasn\'t an art gallery, after all - but she couldn\'t think as to where he would have a portrait of himself other than perhaps in the Greek or Roman Empire section, where there were quite a few paintings of notable figures).  She could easily avoid him by crossing the museum in sections that featured no portraits or paintings at all (which were a lot of sections, thankfully).

Without thinking too hard about it, she picked up her handbag and left the office, locking it up behind herself.  As she walked, listening to her footsteps echoing up the large hallway, she recognised Ernie - the museum\'s oldest security guard, an octogenarian - and they smiled and bid each other good night.

"Oh, did you find a gentleman near a portrait, anywhere?" she asked, in spite of accusing Sebastian of not being such, nor telling herself that she didn\'t wish to know where he was.

"Yes, Miss Jenna," he said immediately, "in the Roman section."

She thought his gaze shifted slightly, into something of curious interest.  She thanked him and departed quickly before he could question her about anything awkward.

Her feet obviously disagreed with her mind because they took her directly to the Roman section.  It wasn\'t as expansive as her section, though there was a bit of crossover into hers.  Standing beside a broken column that was part of a grand architectural display, she stared at the man seated upon the bench in front of a painting that she would never have guessed was him.  She doubted the truth of it, in fact, once she saw it.  Surely the artist had been imagining his subject matter?

Sebastian was so still that she doubted he was even aware of her presence, but he proved her wrong when he spoke to her, causing her to jump.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »
"Some of them are hideous. I quite like this one. Although it\'s obvious the artist never laid eyes on me," Sebastian said as he heard Jenna approach, her scent filling his nose immediately and recognising her presence without having to look. He\'d ignored the security guard earlier, although he had gone to the effort of shifting his position slightly to let the msn know he was alive.

He stood as he spoke, turning to face Jenna as he did so, not beaming to see her as he had before, in case she accused him of mocking her or something along those lines.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »
From her position near the ruined column, some six metres away from Sebastian - which she thought was a nice healthy space to maintain - she gave her opinion on the painting.

"I would\'ve thought a scene such as this would would inspire pity, or horror," she said softly, unsure of herself.  Her uncertainty rang in her voice, which took on a questioning tone.

Her body language would be impossible to read, for she was uncomfortable and therefore standing rigidly, in a manner her old etiquette mistress Mrs Kruickshank would be quite delighted with.  Feet together, spine straight, hands clasped behind her, shoulders back, chin up.  She could almost feel the harsh old lady\'s eyes upon her posture, though she\'d been buried three years now.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 07:02:05 AM »
“Not hideous subject matter, just how they’ve made me look,” Seb explained, not sure if she had misunderstood his comment or was just adding her own thoughts to it and he had no intention of glimpsing at her thoughts again. He watched her for a few seconds, contemplating how differently she was behaving now, completely on her guard, and he’d done that to her. That was truly a shame.

“Pity,” he repeated, rolling the word around his mouth as he turned to face the painting, taking a small step towards it, his eyes narrowing slightly. He was proud of what he‘d done. Then and in the centuries since. He could have given up, or taken such a different route. But Irene had been there to guide and help him stay on his path. He didn’t want pity for what had happened to him. He had been shown miracles could happen if you were worthy… and for a lot of people they happened when you weren’t.

“No more than any other painting of someone being killed for their beliefs. I think horror is the better word of the two. What people do to each other because they don’t like what you’ve said or done. Judging so harshly and with an unbelievable swiftness.”

Seb took his seat again, glancing at Jenna to see if she would come and join him, but not making any word or gesture that she should in case she took it badly.

“My sire came that night and released me, saved me, turned me. And I almost threw away the gift she gave me in my anger at the man who’d done this. Fortunately she was patient with me - I was so young, hasty. Clearly something I haven’t improved on that much. But I was clean shaven and I had longer hair than that,” he said, gesturing at the painting again before resting his hands on either side of his thighs, curling around the edge of the bench.

“I’m rambling, aren’t I?” he said softly, half to himself.