Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: The Interview  (Read 11993 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: The Interview
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Aarik smiled but this time there was no calculation to it; he was genuinely pleased by the answer he'd received from Samuel and also by his instinctive reaction to his position.  The man was astute in so many intellectual ways, it was reassuring that he responded to so subtle a move on his part - though Aarik had changed position throughout the interview, it was the first time his hands had even alluded to an offensive act - and Samuel had immediately picked up on it.

"How strong do your obligations to them remain?" he enquired, interested on a personal level.  He'd committed to the academy from a very young age; he couldn't imagine what it was like to switch loyalties after so long and was intensely curious about it, even though it wasn't his place to be.  He deserved something for doing his job well, though, surely - even if he doubted he'd get an honest answer to something he'd likely lie in bed thinking on for a good amount of time that night.  He reached up to scratch at his nose with his left hand and when it returned to his lap, it entwined with his other hand in the gap between his thighs.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »
"They assign me with tasks I must fulfil," Samuel explained, "and I am obligated to perform those tasks, as I am reliant upon their funding."  He waited for another question to be asked, and when it didn't immediately come, he expanded on his answer of his own volition.  "I don't wish to become a goat herder for my spending coin, so I seek out a profession which suits me best."
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
"And after you've been trained - by us - to be the best, will you return to the Society and obey their whims once more?" Aarik asked smoothly.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
"I haven't planned that far ahead," Samuel said, his eyes twinkling with humour again.  He hadn't forgotten the bite Aarik had taken out of him over it, but he'd forgotten how it had made him feel.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »
Aarik allowed a smirk of concession to twist his lips, conceding Samuel that dig; in his opinion, it was further acknowledgement of the point he'd scored, anyway.  "How many have you killed?" he enquired, moving the questioning along.

This one was partly personal and partly personality-revealing.  If Samuel was a meticulous notetaker who was able to tell him every man, woman and child he'd ended, it would allude to his suitability to Eruditio.  If he couldn't name an amount but could discuss the methods... he was likely bound for Cruori, despite Jandah's wishes.  That wouldn't be good for either of them.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
"As many as required," Samuel replied, keeping it vague and not liking where this new strain of questioning was leading.  The hypotheticals had been interesting, even fun to reply to, but this wasn't something he'd expected either.  He doubted they would be asking their youngest applicants this question, and knew their minimal age of acceptance was fifteen (and therefore possible that those teenagers had made kills), but it rang on a more personal level.  This was Aarik asking, not the Academy - though it had chosen him to ask their questions.

Unfortunate.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »
"Define 'required'," Aarik shot back unblinkingly.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »
"Required comes from the verb, to require. It means that something is necessary."

He knew his remark would be unwelcome, but so was this line of questioning.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
"It's interesting, the way you do that," Aarik observed lightly, tilting his head and peering at Samuel as if he were an unexpected outcome in a vial in his lab.  "Like you think sarcasm is an acceptable form of response.  As opposed to answers.  Which are required."

He allowed but a breath for his more authoritative tone - and his admonishment - on that last word to register, before he continued.

"I asked you a simple question.  It's fascinating that you choose not to answer it; have you no pride in your work?" he enquired, still looking at the applicant like that same very interesting vial-inhabitant that might yet start to bubble and steam if he watched it long enough.  "Or are you unable to give me details?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
Samuel thought over his answer, now that he'd been told he had to give a definitive one.  He settled on an answer that he knew wouldn't be liked or even believed, but it was best.

"If you need a number, put down zero.  There's no proof I've taken anyone's life."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »
Aarik chuckled, his expression condescending.  "How quaint.  Plausible deniability... in an assassin's academy," he announced drolly before all mockery disappeared from his face and he was once again staring at Samuel from beneath his eloquent brows, his stoney eyes twinkling with residual false humour.

"Don't be coy, Samuel.  You're among... colleagues now.  I want more than a number.  I want your answer and an explanation as to why you continually evade giving it, now."  The corner of his mouth quirked minimally, as if he'd just wished the man a very nice day, rather than giving him a direct order to answer and a demand for what was, essentially, an apology.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »
Samuel stared back at Aarik, unwaveringly. The other man genuinely wished to know, while Samuel really didn't want to tell him.  It was a battle of wills.

"I had the understanding this was an interview, not an interrogation.  You have my answer."

He kept his expression pointedly neutral, though his fingers whitened as the grip on the table increased.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
Aarik could only assume that there were ties binding Samuel from his pathetic Society, for no assassin he knew would ever balk at the opportunity of a free and interested audience wanting to listen to the details of how skilfully they'd executed their work thus far.  It reminded him that the applicant was no assassin just yet; a handy perspective to maintain.

"This is both interview and interrogation," he countered.  "And when I leave this room and return to my chambers to make note of everything you've said, I'll very carefully outline how ridiculously idealistic and unsuitable for this life you are; to apply to an assassin's academy and pettily refuse to present your portfolio for perusal... ?  No wonder you've never planned for the future.  You can barely see past your fucking nose," he chided, lifting his chin damningly and very deliberately looking down at a man who might, on many fronts, be considered his equal.

He certainly was not, when he played ridiculous, cloak and dagger games before someone who was his superior, though.  What fool applied for a job and then chose to hide his past experience?  Madness!  And childish to play such games.  Samuel had obviously experienced too much failure in his life - and Aarik would note that, too.  Despite sounding emotional about the applicant's actions, the only true thing he was feeling was disappointment at that specific moment.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
Samuel listened to the outpouring of derision calmly, and waited for Aarik to have finished before making his own statement.

"So be it," he said, without concern.