Author Topic: Queer Incidentals  (Read 19124 times)

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
Queer Incidentals
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:59:01 AM »
Two gentlemen strolled down the hallways of the Warwick hotel towards the elevator engrossed deeply in conversation. The men were dressed to the nines in tuxedos that were certainly in the five-digit price range, well kempt hair and everything else to suggest great wealth and affluence.

“You told her she wasn't that bad?” One of the men, Lamar, spoke with disbelief. He took a pause and added a bit more optimistically,  “At least you didn't tell her she was good.”

“Why…actually, I did tell her she was good,” Emil admitted while trying to hide the guilt from showing on his face.

The two had reached an elevator and Emil pressed one of the button that would take them to the lobby.

“Had you ever seen her stand up routine before?” Lamar asked right as the doors opened and the two shuffled in.

Emil shrugged his shoulder a bit and let out a sigh, tipping his head from side to side. He wanted to claim that he was completely innocent in this but to do so would be lying and he wasn’t inclined to lie to his good friends.

“Admittedly I had but…you can’t hold me for that! I wanted to make a young girl giddy and such, hmm? She told me that it’s been her dream since she was the wee age of thirteen to perform on stage. I felt giving her the opportunity was the right thing to do.”

Emil defended himself with zest, certain that the earth nymph was simply misinterpreting what had occurred. The whole incident had been awful, but he wasn’t entirely responsible for it.

Lamar clucked his tongue and shook his head in disapproval, though a smile pressed his features to suggest he found the whole notion amusing.

“Some people’s dreams are never going to happen, Stanislas,” Lamar explained with a grave tone.

The vampire shook his head, jaw dropping at the suggestion. He couldn’t imagine how someone could be so cold and say such a thing! Lamar’s attitude half of the time, Emil couldn’t even attempt  to see where he was coming from.  Emil tried once more,

“Oooh, come on! You couldn’t possibly know that, and besides, it seemed like a good idea at the time or I never would have done it.”

The elevator stopped and the two looked up casually to see that it had stopped at another floor and they were not yet to the lobby.

“It seemed like a good idea to let an audience at a comedy club make a girl cry?” Lamar asserted, his voice laced with sarcasm.

Emil slammed his foot on the ground dramatically, flailing his arms in the air for a moment before folding them across the chest, not paying an ounce of attention to the elevator doors opening and who might climb aboard.

“My! The nerve of you to suggest…I can’t even…I didn’t know she’d be booed, the poor girl!” 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Queer Incidentals
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
Fucking idiots

Lisa-Joe Hampton was not in a good mood on the evening that's events are being chronicled. She moved with purpose down the third floor of the Warwick Hotel. Her speed was mortal, but only a human would mistake the middle aged vampire as such. She was radiating power, and fury. Her lips were pursed, her eyes were like daggers into the souls of anyone so foolish as to look. Her appearance had started so soft that evening.

She wore a simple black cocktail dress with no straps and of course matching high heel shoes. A set of pearls adorned her neck and a small clutch was held by the strap, dangling between her right index and middle finger. Her makeup was plain; a little eye liner and lipstick and a flash of rouge. She wore expensive perfume thats name she'd forgotten in her rush to dress. She imagined from the sent it was one of her many bottles of Armani for the woman. Her lips, normally genteel and ready to answer all questions in a nice slow southern drawl now looked misconfigured like a Picasso painting.

She'd been on the date from hell, quite literally as it had turned out her date was a well masked supernatural. A shadow demon of resounding power had attempted to end the Brujah's life this evening, in the quiet confines of room three twenty-one. A seemingly nice man with a wonderful cloaking spell had asked Miss Hampton out for a little company. She admitted at the time that not being able to smell his blood right out was suspicious, but not totally unheard off.  Lonely and without the touch of anybody - male or female- Lisa-Joe agreed. She imagined he was a bite addict, looking to get sucked by a female vampire who he'd found attractive. She never imagined she'd fine an killer sent to end her life.

She'd made quick work of him by turning on the lights. What had befallen that foolish wreck would never be known. Lisa-Joe had made sure of that. She pressed the button for the down elevator, hoping to get back to The White Rabbit soon enough. She wanted answers. Who wanted to kill her? Jake would be getting a call. So would Conner the Tremere. He would be useful. The elevator opened. She caught the tail end of an exchange.

...make a girl cry?

“My! The nerve of you to suggest…I can’t even…I didn’t know she’d be booed, the poor girl!,' said a familiar voice.

Lisa-Joe looked and saw someone she had not seen in quite a while; the vampire Emil. There meeting the pervious time had been an odd one, however, not unpleasant. Now, she was hearing about girls crying, and Emil was possibly involved.

"Who made a girl cry?" Lisa-Joe said in a controlled yet serious tone. Her face was as solid as stone. Her dagger like eyes fixed themselves clearly into Emil's eyes.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
Lamar hadn’t replied to Emil’s exclamation; his only response was a grin. He was satisfied to have gotten to the vampire’s core with his teasing since it amused him greatly. Emil felt like huffing and pouting for the rest of the evening. But as things typically did, the scenario changed in a matter of seconds. A woman’s voice addressed them and Emil looked up, meeting Lisa-Joe’s eyes in a heartbeat.

“Ms. Hampton!” He greeted, giving a nod of his head to acknowledge her. He made sure to shift to the side of the elevator, prodding Lamar along with him so that they would make room for the vampire. Even though there was plenty of space already, he wanted to be sure the gesture was made that he was to accommodate the elder vampire. Lamar raised his eyebrows, giving the woman a skeptical look. Emil wasn’t paying attention to that, at the moment, since he was struggling to recap the entire conversation he’d had with Lamar to Lisa-Joe so that they didn’t have a misunderstanding.

“Oh, it’s really an awful happening. One of my dear friend, Candice, was booed upon a stage at a comedy club and it hurt her so much that she ended up crying over the whole incident. I really don’t know how to make her feel better about it, and admittedly, it was partially my fault.” He let out a sigh, owning up to it but then quickly waving his hand.

“But oh, enough of that! The last thing I’d want to do is damper your evening with such harrowing tales, Ms. Hampton. Why, Lamar and I were about to go down to have a couple of drinks at the bar. You’re free to join us if you’d fancy,”

Emil proposed, gesturing to Lamar as he spoke his name as an informal introduction. Lamar shook his head, folding his arms across his chest.

“Actually, you’re not invited,” The Earth Nymph spoke with a bitter tone. Emil’s eyes shot open wide and he looked over at Lamar with a bewildered expression. Lamar was persistent.

“That’s right. You’re not invited, Ms. Hampton.” Lamar repeated, speaking the female vampire’s name in a particularly mocking tone. 

Emil was so taken aback by his companion’s words that he was temporarily forced into silence via his shock. He knew he ought to say something, but perhaps a part of him thought, maybe she won’t react that badly.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »
Lis-Joe shifted her gaze from Emil to Lamar with supernatural speed. The elevator shut and began moving down. Lisa-Joe resisted the urge to tear the meandering Imp's tongue from his easily breakable  throat. However, Emil was a nice enough vampire and honestly she wanted to hear the rest of the story about the girl doing stand up. Besides, the death of one supernatural was enough for her conscience for one night.

She moved with a supernatural speed until she was about two inches shy of Lamar's face.  She smiled a bit, knowing she only had a few seconds before the doors opened.

"I don't remember needing your permission to catch up with a friend fairy," she said. She was old enough to be able to know that this person was not human and likely fae.

"And that wasn't a gay crack, " she added.

The doors opened and she presented herself to Emil with a flourish not unlike his own. "I'd love to have a drink with you darling. On me of course if you tell me the rest of the story. You may come if you wish Lamar."

She winked as she waited for both men to respond. The thought of the dead demon still occupied a part of her mind,     
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
Emil wasn’t sure if he was relieved by Lisa-Joe’s response or if it only futhered his worry. He’d admit, the older vampire’s reaction could have been worse. Images had briefly flashed in the creases of his mind of Lamar being killed in the most horrendous of all ways. That probably wouldn’t have been ideal, but vampire politics were complicated and he didn’t doubt that Lisa-Joe might find a way to hide the body before the elevator doors opened. He didn’t mean to project evil onto the woman; perhaps she’d never dream of doing something like that. But the point was that she could and Lamar knew better than to fire a vampire up.

Calm down, love. We can talk about this later but it’s improper for you to behave this way. He sent a mental message towards Lamar, though it was probably obvious since it took a great deal of concentration to do so, which always resulted in a blank facial expression.

“That sounds wonder-”  Emil began, but his attention was cut short when Lamar pressed the ‘close door’ buttons, leaving the three of them alone in the elevator once more. Emil knew what was going to happen and tried not to express his disgust on his face.

“Yeah, I think you can definitely not come with us. Stanislas might let you walk all over him but I’m not going to let you do that. So leave.”  His gaze drew from the vampire to the door as if he seriously expected a vampire, years older than Emil was even, to listen to his directions, an Earth nymph of a measly 25-years old with a bit of magic and no real life experience.

“Lamar…please,” Emil hissed under his breath. Lamar’s finger was still hot on the close button, preventing the doors from opening.

“No. I came here with you and I am not going to have drinks with her.” Lamar insisted. He was being stubborn and Emil didn’t know what to do. He, unfortunately, rarely said no to people and he couldn’t outwardly argue with Lamar. But what if it was to save his skin? He had to hope that Lisa-Joe could overlook the crass behavior.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:54 PM »
Lisa-Joe was annoyed beyond words. Who the fuck did this little piece of shit think he was. If not for Emil, the damn fairy would've been blood on the carpet. Instead she tried diplomacy. Diplomacy for  Lisa-Joe meant using supernatural speed to push the jam button on the elevator doors and then in a blur grab the man's arm and twist it behind his back. She pulled, not so hard as to dislocate it or break it, but hard enough to cause pain.

"Let's be clear," she started. "I can and probably will break your arm. But before I do, let me ask you a simple question. What the fuck kind of problem do you have with me?"

She ignored any pleas from Emil. She liked him, but she would not be disrespected by some second rate supernatural.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:16:14 AM »
Lamar let out a gasp when the older vampire pulled his arm into a tight grip. He clenched his teeth, refusing to scream out in pain so that he could hang onto his dignity. After a pause,

“Yeah, break my arm, that’ll just prove my point.” He spoke in a raspy voice, still defiant, still showing no signs of apologizing.

“You’re the one who has a problem. Look at you!” Lamar finished, deciding not to try to squirm out of the woman’s grip. He knew she was probably too strong and that by moving he might break his own arm.

Emil, meanwhile, had a facial expression full of horror. He didn’t know what to do. He couldn’t let Lisa-Joe break Lamar’s arm but he didn’t want to argue with her and insinuate that she didn’t have a right to and cause a conflict.

“Ms. Hampton, please; if anyone’s arm is to be broken it’s mine. I am responsible for Lamar and therefore I’ll take any repercussions of his actions fully,” Emil spoke up. He decided that it was the appropriate answer. It couldn’t possibly infuriate Lisa-Joe, and even if it meant a broken arm, it was better his arm than Lamar. He could heal wounds faster. Emil pictured weeks of agony if not months for Lamar and he wouldn’t let that happen if he could prevent it. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »
Lisa-Joe looked at Emil and decided not to torture his little friend. She let of his arm and backed away. She was angry, but not at this snot nosed little urchin. Her actions were merited in her mind, but only by vampire standards and as she was trying to live her life with human morality she had gone a bit too far. She didn't undo the door block though. This was not over, even if the torture part was.

"Your point is all I want to hear," she said. "Yet, thats the only thing you can't seem to say. I'd say you don't like vampires but your present company says otherwise. Is it because I have red hair, maybe it's because you don't like women dressed in black."

She was teasing him, but her face stayed as cold as stone. She wanted an answer as to what his problem with her was, and nobody was leaving until she got one.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »
“Thank you, Ms. Hampton,” Emil spoke, but decided to say nothing more. It was clear Lisa-Joe’s focus was still on Lamar and he realized there was little he could do about that. It would be rather rude to try to interrupt and he didn’t think that he could will him to do so even if Lamar was once again physically threatened. His aversion to conflict was great. Anything he could do to end this conflict, he would. He prayed that Lamar would end it now. Didn’t he understand what this vampire could do to him?

Lamar, she is older than I am and I’m afraid there’s not a thing I can do if you further enrage her. I beg of you to stop, Lamar. Apologize and stop this now.

He tried again to mentally communicate with the Earth Nymph, who showed no signs that he was listening to his companion’s pleas.

Instead Lamar was staring at Lisa-Joe with an annoyed look.

“Maybe if you didn’t manipulate Stanislas into implying Magnolia was a prostitute I would be just fine, Ms. Hampton. So yeah, I’d rather you not have drinks with us, because who knows what you’ll ask him to do next. Are you going to tell him to break my arm for you?” Once more Lamar spoke her name laced with venom.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »
Lisa-Joe laughed out loud. This was so pathetic is was cute. Lisa-Joe didn't have the slightest idea who Magnolia was. She met dozens of people every night and she was sure this - Magnolia - was one of them. Then she looked at Emil and remembered. It was the girl she'd saved at The White Rabbit. She was being taken home buy a guy who would have hurt her. She'd read the guy's mind. It was all coming back. This little prick was deliciously self righteous.

"Sorry I saved little Magnolia's life you fucking moron," she laughed. "Oh please, you are so lucky that I actually like your friend or I would beat you simply because you're annoying. Tell Magnolia to try not to go home with rapists and maybe I won't ask Emil to protect her."

She turned to Emil now, Lamar was almost a memory. "If you had a problem with how things went that night, you should have told me and not stayed for a bit of convo after." Her tone to Emil was not harsh, but a little hurt. Had he spoken bad about Lisa-Joe to this idiot? "I saved your friends life, whether either of you see that is irrelevant."

She undid the door lock. "And one more thing Lamar I didn't make Emil do shit. He has plenty of free will. Anybody who blames other people for their actions is well, human. So as far as I'm concerned you're both banned from my bar. So apologize or fuck off."

She walked through the doors, suddenly not feeling like a drink. If Emil reached out to her she would stop and talk. She did like him, and hated being such a bitch. However, if he was talking badly enough about her that Lamar would remember her name months after the fact maybe Emil was not a good guy after all.  If Lamar insulted her she might actually hurt him physically, but she was pissed and getting away from the situation seemed like the best idea to her.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
Listening to the words, Emil felt like he’d shrunk several sizes. He was small and weak in comparison to the older vampire and he was well aware of that fact. Lamar shouldn’t have said the things he had said and now that he had done such and made Lisa-Joe upset, it was his duty to do damage control on the situation.

As soon as the older vampire had shut her mouth, Lamar was prepared to open his and say some more choice words. Emil prevented this by smacking him square across the face with enough force to leave a red mark. He looked at the Earth Nymph with serious eyes. It was the only way he knew to shut Lamar up. Later he’d apologize, surely, for he wasn’t really as mad as he was upset with Lamar and his recklessness. But for now he needed Lamar to stay out of the way while he attempted to get back in Lisa-Joe’s good graces.

Lamar stood in the elevator, touching the side of his face. He was shocked at the stinging and throbbing. Emil had never been physically violent with him and this was shocking enough to keep him in the elevator, dumbfounded.

Meanwhile, Emil traced Lisa-Joe’s footsteps. He’d attempt to engage her but would back down if she showed any signs of disinterest. He didn’t want to overstep his bounds and some conflicts would never be resolved.

“Ms. Hampton, please. I’d like to have a word with you alone if it’s something you’d be willing to grant me.”

He was trying to be as humble as he could in his demand. Emil didn’t think Lisa-Joe owed him anything and if she flat refused he would completely understand.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »
Lisa-Joe stopped and slowly turned around. Her face was a mixed expression of anger and sadness and after all she'd been through tonight she was on the verge of tears. However, Emil had proved a nice enough person to come after her. Maybe some peaceful resolution could be pulled out of this.

"I want to kill your friend," she suddenly blurted. "He is alive only because I like you. It is hard for a vampire as old as I am to control the beast. Humanity is something I must constantly work at."

A single blood tear streamed down her check. She reached into her clutch and pulled out tissues and wiped. She was embarrassed, and now even more so that Emil was seeing her cry.

"What did you have mind?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
It was hard to listen someone admit that they wanted to kill a good friend of his. It evoked all sorts of emotions inside of the vampire, but he nodded his head, trying to acknowledge and understand the woman’s feelings. When she spoke further he could understand how the statement didn’t exactly imply that Lisa-Joe was a horrible monster for desiring such things. Everyone reacted differently to immortality and it was simply in the older vampire’s nature to react with fire.

Naturally, he wanted to hug Lisa-Joe and assure her everything would be alright. Especially as soon as he saw the tear the urge to touch her grew- he needed to comfort her. Emil raised his hand as if he were to reach out and touch her but stopped himself last minute. It wouldn’t be appropriate, he decided.

“Whatever you’d like, Ms. Hampton. I don’t want this encounter to be a dastardly one and there’s much I feel I need to explain. If you’ll grant me this, we can go anywhere you want, I’ll be sure to pay any accommodations necessary. Please.”

He gave a hopeful look that held a tinge of concern. He didn't like to see others upset and if there was anything he could do to remedy the pain he'd caused, it would be done.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
She regained her composure a bit, but was disappointed when Emil didn't touch her. She wanted him to. It was strange for her to feel that. Men had always been problems in her life, but she wanted Emil to hug her more than anything. When he stopped last second, it snapped a little bite back into the Brujah.

"Let's just go to the hotel bar," she suggested. Blood was discreetly served if her memory was right. "And if I recall I already offered to buy you a drink and it's the least I can do for threatening to kill your friend, however rude he may have been."

She tried to smile and placed the bloodstained tissue in her purse incase a mortal should walk bye. She stuck out her hand for Emil to take it. If he didn't she'd reach into her purse and grab lipstick to play it off.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »
He was surprised at how quickly Lisa-Joe pulled herself together, though he decided he shouldn’t have been. She was quite the lady, offering to buy him a drink after one of his dear friends had sincerely insulted and embarrassed her only a few moments ago. Although Emil liked to think he hadn’t yet to develop an ego characteristic of an aged vampire, he was certain that Lisa-Joe was old enough to have one.

Upon being offered her hand, Emil accepted it, bringing it up to his lips and giving a dry, formal kiss. His mind was a bit apprehensive about doing so because he knew the way that some vampires were about that, but he rationalized, since it had been a gesture of respect and humility it would be accepted.

He didn’t drop the hand afterwards, holding it delicately.

“Certainly, Ms. Hampton. Right this way,” He spoke as he led the woman into the bar area, which wasn’t too far away. Once there he paused, gesturing to one of tables and looking to Lisa-Joe for he approval. He thought a table would be much more private than sitting at the bar and perhaps a bit more comfortable, but ultimately it was her choice.