Author Topic: Queer Incidentals  (Read 19060 times)

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Queer Incidentals
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »
There was no sense in lying now. Lisa-Joe would be able to detect it and he didn’t really see the need. Of course he was frightened by the notion that he may have inadvertently pissed off an older vampire!

Leaning in a bit over the table, he spoke lowly,

“I think that at times like these, it’s wise to maintain a healthy level of fear.”

Indeed, he could keep himself up all day hours thinking up the horrific things that an older vampire like Lisa-Joe could do if he managed to rub her the wrong way. He was well aware that his immortality only stretched as far as his ability to schmooze did.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 12:39:11 PM »
Lisa-Joe didn't know whether to smile or frown at Emil's comment. On the one hand, he answered her question. That was a good thing. However, he'd admitted that he feared her. This was something she did not like in the least. She decided to try and defuse the situation. It occurred to her just then how things must look, with her being so quick to break an arm and considerably older than Emil.

"Don't fear me ever," she said sincerely. "You are a fellow kindred. I would not hurt such a polite, thoughtful gentlemen, even if he did anger me or disagreed with me."

She meant every word, and felt sheepish and exposed by Emil's fear, and suddenly felt she needed a shaw to cover her horribly visible anger streak.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »

Emil wasn’t sure if he could promise he wouldn’t fear Lisa-Joe from time to time. Such emotions were only natural given his position. But he responded with a brilliant open-mouth smile, breaking free of his previously rigidly controlled facial expressions.

“I’m relieved to hear that, Ms. Hampton. I truly believe that worry is a waste of imagination.”

He picked up his glass and raised it towards the woman.

“Shall we toast?” He asked, tapping the side of the drink.

“To friendship. A friend is someone who knows us but loves us anyway.”

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
Lisa-Joe did not respond verbally but picked up her glass and clicked Emil's. She smiled wide with bright eyes, and then gave him her signature wink before sipping her blood. She was starting to enjoy herself. She put the glass on the table and folded her hands in front of her. Her mood was one of pleased relaxation.

"That was a lovely toast," she said. "You're a poet of sorts I think."

She was only half serious about him being a poet, however she thought Emil might take it literally and she thought that there was no harm in Emil thinking positively of himself.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »
He sipped alongside Lisa-Joe and grinned at her words. Had he been able to he might have blushed, but the more years went on the harder it was to display such subtle social gestures. He supposed it went hand in hand with the inability to cry most times.

“No,” Emil denied the accusation with modesty. “I can’t take credit for that. I may have a great memory but the words aren’t my own; a priest spoke them, Father Jerome Cummings.”

He allowed his smile to fade and thus folded his hands in his lap.

“I didn’t intend to take up your entire evening, Ms. Hampton. I believe that all I had to say has been said.”

He didn’t mean to dismiss her; instead his only intentions were to indicate that it wouldn’t be socially unacceptable for them to part ways now that their conflict had been seemingly resolved.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 02:31:25 AM »
Lisa-Joe nodded. Yes, she too was eager to do other things. There was just one other point of discourse that needed to be addressed.

"One more thing. What does this mean for you and me? Where do we go from here?"

She stayed sitting to imply she wasn't moving until he told her something, even if it was he preferred not to see her anymore. She just wanted to know where she stood in his eyes and what his hope for a future relationship would be.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 03:43:34 AM »
He wasn’t sure why he was being given all of the deciding power here. Maybe he wasn’t, though. Perhaps Lisa-Joe just wanted to hear his thoughts before she decided ultimately what would happen now.

“Well first off,” Emil said with a half-grin, “Am I still banned from The White Rabbit?”

He was expecting she’d say no, hence the amusement of the question. Things were going smoothly so he predicted they would end on a positive note now.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2012, 04:02:10 AM »
She chuckled, adjusting her dress as she spoke. All was forgiven. 

"No you're not banned. Come visit me anytime," she raised her glass to him. "But do me a tiny favor and leave Lamar at home until he's ready to play nice with me."

She said it with a light inflection, but she knew Emil would know she was not kidding or joking about that last part.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 04:23:55 AM »
He grinned when she laughed and shook his head along the suggestion that he not bring Lamar. That nymph had no idea how much deep shit he was going to be in once they both arrived home this evening. Lamar was young and a part of Emil didn’t want to hold him responsible for his actions, but for as long as they had known each other and as much advice Emil had given the man there was simply no excuse for his behavior.

“Well, I think that settles it then.”

He began to stand, straightening his tuxedo.

“I think I must be off now. But remember, Ms. Hampton: never look back unless you’re planning to go that way.”

He gave her a wink, hopefully one that wouldn’t be interpreted as cheesy but rather as playful, and dismissed himself. Now it was time to find Lamar and give him a piece of his mind. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 06:13:27 AM »
Lisa-Joe nodded goodbye to Emil as he said his parting words. Once he was away she finished her own glass of blood, (and what Emil had left) paid the waiter and got her things together. She checked her makeup with a compact from her clutch. After reapplying, she left the Warwick and headed home. The White Rabbit was still jumping when she arrived, but she ignored it all. She simply went downstairs and laid in bed, undressing first and washing the now pointless makeup off her face. She slid into a silk night gown and removed her jewels before going to bed. She closed her eyes but could not shake the vision of pulling Lamar's arm behind his back. She had proven her violent tendencies were not behind her.

She was glad Emil had been there to stop her and to reason with her. Otherwise Lamar would have been dead. Then there was the question of her assassin. Who would want Lisa-Joe dead? More importantly why would someone want to kill her? She pondered this as the stress of the day pulled her into a dream filled slumber. The vision of Emil sitting across from her, so calm and so sweet filled her mind. It was then she realized something. She liked him a bit more than just a friend.

/End   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.