Author Topic: Call Me  (Read 14677 times)

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Call Me
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »
He suspected by the way Bill was reacting that he had embarrassed and perhaps offended the young man. That had been the last thing he was intending.

“Oh, no, sweetie, I wasn’t laughing at you.” He explained gently.

“I don’t know what got into me, really! I was just half a bubble off plumb and I suppose I lost sight of myself for a moment! Please, forgive me. It was just that,”

He paused. Would he be able to clear this up with Bill? Was the boy terribly offended? Certainly, he had to explain the silly thing he’d found so hilarious.

“Jack of fine arts- it’s not an actual title. I didn’t say anything to you? Why! For shame! Typically when I hand out one of those cards I go on about how there’s really not an adequate title to describe my career and so I made one up. Oooh, pumpkin, I wasn’t laughing at you, just that…I must have been quite consumed when I gave you that card that I wouldn’t explain. It just amused me is all.” 

He reached his hand out over the table to give Bill's a squeeze.

"Are you alright? I didn't mean to upset you."

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »
Bill forced a smile on his face, still blushing furiously as he returned the squeeze, loosening his grip but not letting go of the man's hand. He rather liked handholding, after all, and until Emil pulled back, he didn't see a reason to let go. He didn't want to let go, as starved as he was for the physical contact.

"I'm not upset," he clarified immediately. "Just…feeling a little embarrassed. I mean, it sounds like a real title…you were kind of in a hurry last time we parted, though."

Bill watched the lines on Emil's face…he looked so…so…warm. He looked like a human, from the same facial expressions to the way he smiled and laughed--and choked on his laugh, which was kind of amusing in hindsight. How could a vampire be so human? How long had he been living among them, pretending to be one of them? Did he actually like it?

"How did that turn out, by the way?" he felt obliged to ask. "Is everything okay?" Emil really had been in such a hurry last time. He didn't want to bring up a bad topic, but he felt it would be rude not to at least ask about the incident.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »
Emil gave a shrug.

“Oh, it was how it was. I don’t think it would do to spoil the evening with such news, anyhow! But you needn’t worry. Things always work out the way they are meant to.” He didn’t want to discuss how he’d had to shell out thousands of dollars to fix the side paneling on the outside of his house because someone who was particularly enraged at his roommate had decided to ram their car into it. It wasn’t appropriate information to share, especially since it had nothing to do with Bill.

Sydney took advantage of the slight lull in their conversation and approached the coffee table, setting the  tea down in front of them and giving them a smile.

“Can I get you some cream and sugar?” She asked. Emil turned to Bill instead of responding since he was the one who would be consuming the tea, despite the fact a pot and two tea cups had been set in from of them on their own individual saucers.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
Ah, so it hadn't turned out well after all. He hoped a friend or something hadn't died. Emil's end of the conversation had sounded much like the concerned friend of someone that might have had alcohol poisoning, at least to Bill's ears. Still, if Emil did not wish to talk about it, then it was best not to talk about that.

He turned to the waitress as she brought him the tea, giving her a small smile. Cream in tea? Yuck. But he supposed some people liked that kind of tea. Well, tea lattes weren't that bad, actually, but he rather did prefer to not have earl grey, and that was the only type of good tea latte he had had, at least here.

"I'm fine," he gave her a small smile, feeling a little self conscious for still holding Emil's hand. He gently let go to pour his tea, trying to make it look natural. Why had he held it so long, anyway? It had been fine until they had had an audience…

He watched Sydney depart with a smile before turning back to Emil, allowing his tea to cool before drinking it.

"Oh, um…I'm sorry for…whatever it was," he continued their conversation lamely, trying to remember what they were talking about before. Oh yes! Art!

"So…this jack of all arts thing…what is it, then, if you're not an art dealer?" he asked curiously, holding his mug gently. The tea was still nearly boiling, causing the cup to warm almost uncomfortably.

"Are you like…an actor or singer or whatever someone needs you to be at any given time? I mean…I'm sure you probably have a lot of experience, given your age and everything. I mean…I don't want to assume or anything, but…it seems like you would, you know?" Bill babbled a little bit, trying mostly to cover up his abrupt dropping of Emil's hand or simply the fact that he held it way too long.

He wasn't sure, exactly, how he felt about the vampire now. He respected him, that much was for certain. But he wasn't sure how he should feel. Emil wasn't exactly a friend, but he wasn't someone that William felt the need to suck up to all the time, either. He wasn't a business partner, either, though they might be working together to find his brother, he didn't know yet. Emil had mentioned it, at least.

He didn't know how he felt about Emil…but he knew that he wanted to keep speaking with him. He had a feel that the other man would be willing to impart at least some of his wisdom and stories upon Bill, and he would take anything he could get when it came to that. Vampires lived so long…their life stories must be fascinating. He bet Emil had dined with Shakespeare and the queen of England at least once in his lifetime. How amazing would that be?

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 12:15:10 PM »
The vampire’s expression glowed when he was asked more about his career. It was something he was passionate about.

“Well, you’ve heard the expression, ‘jack of all trades’, haven’t you?” He asked, although the question was rhetorical since he continued to speak after without giving the boy a chance to respond.

“It’s a play on words. Instead of a ‘jack of all trades’  I’m a ‘jack of fine arts’!” He chuckled, not bothering to gauge if Bill had understood the joke or not, waiving off his own laughter and moving to the punch line.

“Anyhow…yes, I do many things in the fine arts category. Years ago I had a career and released albums- I was pop singer, well known under another name. But things never last forever and when I moved to the city I began designing clothing, performing at jazz clubs as well as hire for private parties. I love writing plays and sometimes I chance a star role in a musical. I’ve been thinking of trying to invest in one of the glorious theaters around here- I think it would be marvelous to own a local venue. I do own some buildings elsewhere, mainly in New York and LA, but it’s really not the same sensation as being able to walk into the building you own and see it with your own eyes. Well, I suppose I could, but I’d have to fly out there and…”

He stopped himself, realizing he’d been rambling, closing with a cough.

“Mmm, but I better stop. I do ramble. You best stop me when I ramble. I suppose, though, you want to know about your brother,”

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
Bill simply nodded as he hung on to Emil's every word, grinning as the joke was revealed. He had gathered that much on his own, though he wasn't sure, aside from the joke, what the job entailed or anything like that.

As Emil rambled, Bill sipped at his tea, watching the vampire before him. It was quite obvious that he loved what he did, and Bill didn't blame him in the least; he was living his dream, or as much as he could during the night. It was a lot, apparently, and Bill understood that. A lot of shows didn't start until after dark, after all. And he owned theaters in the big cities! Star must have shown in Bill's eyes, he was so elated to meet someone like Emil.

What if he had Emil's cds? That would be so ironic and amazing. Bill was internally squealing with joy at meeting someone as talented as Emil. If he had been in college…if he had continued school…this would have been his big break, he just knew it.

Sadly, it was all for naught. Bill certainly didn't possible the skills that Emil was looking for, even if he was looking for someone to play a role in whatever production he was directing or producing or something of the matter. Bill had never really seen himself on stage, anyway…he was much too shy.

And then Emil spoke about his brother, and all of Bill's dreams and fantasies came crashing down. He was nothing with his brother by his side…absolutely nothing. He didn't even dare to dream.

"I do," he agreed, his smile fading a little. "Although I wish we could talk more about art sometime…you sound fascinating."

He took another sip of the cooling tea, waiting for Emil to continue. The vampire had brought it up, and probably with good reason. What did he need to know about Bill to help find his brother? Did he just want to know that Bill wasn't trying to pull his leg or get something from him with a sob story? Or did he need more details about Bill and his brother to help find out where to look for Thomas?

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
He didn’t mean to cut the conversation short, but the Painted Bean would be closing soon and if nothing else he wanted to be sure he dispatched the new information he had to Bill before they parted ways. It had been the reason they met after all.

“Of course, you can talk to me about art anytime you’d like! You can text me anytime or call to get together. I consider us friends, Bill.”

They’d met twice and already he was declaring such things. Emil knew he was much too friendly for his own good.

“But, I wanted to propose something to you, regarding your brother. I’ve spoken to a friend of a friend of a friend who thinks they know someone who is rather excelletn at what he does. He is almost certain to find your brother, Bill. I don’t know his fees, but I would be willing to pay them if you think it’s something you’d like to pursue. But if I do it, I think he’d do best to meet with you and talk to you. I know nothing of your brother and he may have questions.”

He lowered his voice a bit. Although they weren’t talking about anything supernatural he just felt that in the off chance something was spoken he should set the tone for a more ‘private’ conversation.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
Okay, so friends. Friends was good…but how could they be friends if they barely knew each other? They were more like acquaintances or business partners, he was sure of it. Still…if Emil wanted to consider Bill his friend, who was he to disagree? He certainly wouldn't mind being friends with Emil.

He listened the proposition, getting slightly lost with all the friends of friends who knew people that were very good at what they did. What was he good at doing? Finding people in general, or finding people that vampires had kidnapped? For that was what his brother was, in his mind…kidnapped and turned against his will. He had no knowledge of rules against it, after all, so why shouldn't he assume that this was something that happened all the time?

"You'd…be willing to hire a private detective?" he grasped from Emil's quick explanation, a bit overwhelmed at the possibility. He had never even considered hiring one for the financial reasons alone, not to mention that that would mean explaining vampires are real and he certainly wasn't about to be laughed out of every P.I.s office that he walked into.

If Emil was suggesting what Bill was certain he was suggesting, however, then that wouldn't be an issue, for certainly the vampire would know better than to send a human after a fledgling. From what little he had heard, they didn't seem to be as in control of their abilities as older vampires. No matter, though…he needed to find his brother. Besides…even as an out of control vampire, his brother would never hurt him, he was sure.

"I don't understand," he shook his head, the awe clearly showing on his face. "Why? I'm just…you know, not one of you. Why would you do that for me, even if we are friends? That's like…huge."

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »
Many people reacted shocked when he did things for them. Emil could understand why, as well; for most people did things with strings attached and Bill might have had all sorts of worries running through his head about what intentions he truly had by doing this. Honestly, Emil didn’t know why half the time he was inclined to do good for those he hardly knew. It was a horrid idea, not necessarily because being kind was bad, but that little things often turned into big things that spiraled onwards.

If Bill had ties with some other supernatural he could easily be weaving himself into politics that he didn’t want to be involved in. Too, he knew Bill had ties with another supernatural. The mortal had told him that he thought his brother might have been kidnapped or turned by another vampire! If that didn’t have the potential to turn political, he didn’t know what did. Still, there was no backing out now. After careful consideration, this was what he had decided for himself. He would stick to it.

“When people have the means to do so, I believe they should help their fellow man in any way possible. Its humanity in its purest form to help someone even if you needn’t. Sweetie, I must also say that my aid comes with no conditions. I don’t want you to feel as if you’re obliged to me in any way because it would rid the purity of it all, if that makes any sense. I am doing this out of kindness alone; I want nothing in return.”

He was hinting, without exactly saying it out loud, that Bill didn’t need to think this made him a ‘blood bank’ or something now, nor that he had any other ulterior motives for doing this.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
The problem was, Bill expected ulterior motives when things were too good to be true. This was definitely, definitely too good to be true. How could Emil pay for a private detective and not expect anything in return? No, maybe he expected that Bill would want to somehow pay him and was leaving it up to Bill to determine the price.

Yes, that sounded far more plausible, at least to the young human. He set the price…how badly did he want his brother? He considered it for a few minutes, still looking at Emil in awe. He simply couldn't believe that Emil would offer this with no promise of payment. Bill would give what he could give, whenever Emil felt hungry…that would be his price. It was the only currency he had in the vampire world.

"But…you're not…" he trailed off, a little confused. He wanted to say 'human', but it seemed like a bad idea to remind Emil of that right at the moment. He didn't want to say anything to make him regret his offer after all.

"Thank you," he whispered, his voice a bit choked up from emotion. He simply couldn't express in words what the gesture meant to him, no matter the price. He didn't know how he could ever have enough blood in his body to thank Emil for everything, to be honest.

"Thank you," he repeated, biting his lip as he tired not to simply burst into tears right then and there. Emil had already seen Bill become a sloppy mess…he didn't need to see him become another and think that Bill simply cried over every little thing.

He looked down, forcing himself to compose by taking several deep breaths. His body was thrumming in excitement and happiness. How hard could it be to find his brother, for someone who was so adept at finding things? It must just be a matter of time before Thomas was back, and Bill was welcoming him with open arms. He needed his brother.

"You have no idea how much this means to me," he ended, his voice still trembling with emotion. No one had ever offered this much before…no one. It was the kindest thing a vampire had ever done for him.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
Emil didn’t bother to find appropriate words to acknowledge Bill’s gratefulness. He knew, just by looking at the mortal and hearing the emotion in his words. He basked in the moment, nodding his head solemnly. The clock was ticking closer and closer to closing. They didn’t have much time left.

“I’ll give him a ring and we can make an appointment. When are you most available?” Emil asked, quickly moving forward. It was faster than he normally would have gone, but he figured that Bill might have other places to go.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
Bill slowly and deliberately took a sip of his tea, making sure he could swallow properly through his tight throat before he answered, his voice a bit rough. He was so, so grateful that Emil was doing this…

"Anytime after dark, though I prefer early evening," he answered, smiling softly at Emil. "I work six to three almost every day…so if he's fine with daylight, I am, too. I just…thank you so much, Emil…this means a lot, it does."

He set his cup down, only the dregs left in it now, taking the vampire's hand and squeezing it in thanks. It was only a matter of days, if this detective was as good as Emil claimed. A few days, and he could have his brother back…he was so very, very excited.

Well…not back back, but close enough. He would know where he was, which was far closer than anything he had ever come to before. There was no way Emil could understand how grateful Bill was for this.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
Daytime meant that either the meeting would have to be arranged at Emil’s estate or he would have to set up the appointment and hope that Bill fared well on his own. To an extent he felt that the mortal could, but another part of him doubted it due to what little he knew about the investigator in question. He knew that the investigator he’d heard of wasn’t human and that in itself was dangerous. Bill might not know his way around all species of supernatural and if he were to misstep and say something that didn’t bode well with the investigator…Emil couldn’t even handle the thought.

“I’d say, Bill, I best be going now. I don’t intend to cut our meeting short but I do believed the Painted Bean closes in five minutes or so!” He spoke and stood up.

“This evening was charming, darling,” He commented as he waited for Bill to rise (as he assumed Bill would stand too. He wanted to give the young man a goodbye hug before he proceeded to the register to pay. As he waited, he removed his wallet and threw a twenty-dollar bill on the table as a tip. It was much too high of a tip considering what they had spent, but the vampire always tipped extravagantly, perhaps because he lived extravagantly in general.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
 Bill blinked in surprise as Emil announced that he was leaving. He had completely forgotten the coffee shop was closing, but as he looked around, he saw that it was quite obvious, since they were the only patrons of the place.

“Oh,” he uttered, standing when Emil did and watching him throw down the twenty before going up to pay.

Wait, was that right? Bill looked in between the bill on the table and Emil as he followed the other to the counter. Did he really just tip that girl twenty dollars for something that cost less than five? Bill, certainly, wasn’t going to complain in the least that Emil was paying, given that he wanted to save as much cash as possible. It certainly didn’t seem as though the vampire minded, since he hadn’t even given Bill the option to pay!

“Well…do you have something else planned? I don’t want to sound needy or anything, but if the only reason you’re leaving is that the coffee shop is closing…I would really, really love to keep talking to you. You’re so interesting and…I don’t really want to go home yet,” he explained, face a bit flushed.

He knew that that had probably come off as quite a bit needy, but really, he didn’t want some pesky thing like a coffee shop closing to ruin a perfectly good evening, and Emil had said he didn’t want to cut it short. Then again, perhaps Bill was just reading way too far into things. He did that, sometimes.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
Emil hadn’t invited Bill to go out with him after their brief meeting because he assumed that the mortal had other things to do. Now, to learn that Bill really would like to come with him, the vampire put his ‘goodbye off’ on his list of things to do later.

Really, he knew, he was spoiling the young man. Other vampires might have reacted horrendously to a mortal who thought they had the ‘right’ to ask if their visit could be extended. He knew that if Bill had as little experience as he assumed with vampires, he might be teaching the mortal all of the wrong things about the vampire world. Most vampires weren’t like him; different rules applied to them and he hoped in the back of his mind that Bill understood that. It was too soon for him to start instructing the mortal on those things, especially since he didn’t know how much Bill knew, but he kept it in mind.

After paying he turned to Bill.

“Oh, of course you can come along, puddin’ head. Why…how would you like to go to an art gallery? There’s an absolutely marvelous one nearby that is open for a couple more hours.”

He suggested the location for two reasons: it was nearby so they could get there fast and secondly because Bill had mentioned his love for art and Emil wanted to nurture that.