Author Topic: Waiting For Change  (Read 15641 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting For Change
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
"Ahh, a gang," David nodded, as if that implied something else.  He got the impression that it was something else just from the way Bill could no longer meet his eye and decided to test that theory.  "That could mean anything, with what gets around in this city," he murmured slyly, giving Bill a knowing look.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »
Bill flicked his eyes up to David, wondering exactly what the comment meant. He knew what he thought it meant, but that could just as easily be his mind simply reading too much into something. How was he going to find out if David knew, though?

“I know,” he agreed, reaching up to tug a lock of his hair gently. “I wouldn’t even rule out something like vampires at this point…I just want my brother back.”

There. He had said it somewhat jokingly, true enough, but at the same time had left an opening in case David did know something. If not, David could just write it off as an exaggeration and Bill wouldn’t look like a complete idiot for actually believing in vampires. Then again…this whole thing had happened because he had refused to believe in the first place. He and Thomas should have run when they had the chance.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »
David watched the mortal with increased interest, believing he'd just been told that he was aware of the supernatural element in the city - casually, but effectively.  How much enjoyable their conversation could be with all cards on the table.

"Was he hanging out with them, before he disappeared?  Did he go to Risk?" he enquired mildly.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »
Ah, so David did know about vampires. Well, on one hand, he wasn't afraid that David would think he was crazy now. On the other…how much did David know? Was he a groupie like Andi was? Or did he simply know and stay away from the whole thing as much as possible? He certainly didn't look like the typical groupie…

"His boyfriend was one," Bill shrugged, looking towards the music store again. He wasn't sure why he held on hope at all.

"I don't know who else. His friend Andi goes to Risk a lot…a lot…but Thomas never went. He worked third shift…that's how he met George," Bill explained further.

He had already tried to find Thomas's boyfriend and failed miserably, much as he had at trying to find his brother. George had probably already skipped town, and even if he hadn't, he had probably been using a false name the whole time. All in all, it seemed everywhere he turned was another dead end.

"How do you know about…?" he started, trailing off a little, not wanting to say 'vampires' on the streets again. Who knew who was eavesdropping?

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
David gave an ironic laugh and considered reaching over and just touching Bill to give him a feel of his cold skin, but a lot of people didn't react well to such things, so he settled for words.  "Let's just say... I'm a lot older than I look," he said meaningfully and smiled so that the tip of one fang was visible.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »
Oh frock. Frack frock frock. No, not even frock. More like fuck. He was sure that one thought reflected on his face for more than an instant as he processed the fact that he had been talking to a vampire all along. All along! He immediately sat up straighter, mind rushing.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I didn't know," he babbled, thinking over everything he said to David. If he had known, he would have undoubtedly watched what he had said, especially about his brother. Well, he wasn't sure exactly what he would have said and done differently, but he was sure that had he known, he would have been more respectful…somehow.

He had been warned by Andi many a time to treat vampires as royalty, because that's what they were; the royalty of the human race, so to speak. They were superior to humans in every way, and Bill was better off acting like it than to speak out against a vampire. Not that he had said anything against the vampire or any other vampire, per se, but still…he wished he had known.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
David's expression was rather queer as he gazed at Bill apologising profusely for not knowing he was a vampire.  The behaviour struck him as odd, because usually when mortals found out they reacted far more differently, generally coming onto him with gusto, rather than being all deferential and strange.

"Um, it's fine, you weren't supposed to know until just now, otherwise I could get into a shitload of trouble.  We're not exactly supposed to advertise our existence, plenty of people are still ignorant - if I'd just revealed myself to you and you had no clue, I'd have been in a world of hurt with the Oligarchy, so don't apologise man, there's nothing to be sorry about!" he laughed, reaching over to place a reassuring hand on the boy's shoulder.  It was only there briefly before he dropped it.

"Once I realised you knew for sure that we were real, I knew you were cool to tell.  So your brother fell into the groupie scene.  What sort of kindred was he hanging out with?" the blonde asked as casually as he could, thinking that Bill was going to be sitting here on this seat for a lot of years if his brother had fallen in with some irreverant shit like Lazarus, who was as likely to fuck him, suck him and kill him as let him go on his merry way.  Whimsical vampires - old whimsical vampires - were like handling a ticking bomb, you could never predict when they'd blow up in your face.  Bill's brother might have been too dazzled to know that, fell in too deep too fast and would now never crawl out of his shallow grave.  The thought made David's expression soften to one of sympathy, for he felt terribly sorry for this hopeful mortal.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
"I know, but…" Bill began to excuse himself again, trailing off as he bit his lip. He appreciated the touch to his shoulder, though it was brief. So it appeared that David didn't care about how Bill had spoken to him before, but now that Bill knew, surely he was expected to defer to the superior being whenever possible--at least, that was how it was when he was with Andi at Risk, and in general he had found that to be the best policy when dealing with most vampires; Emil being the exception, of course.

"He didn't…he didn't hang out with any others that I know of besides George…they dated for two years before it happened," he filled David in, wondering if David even knew of the other vampire. It was unlikely--no one knew of George, it seemed, and Bill had finally concluded that it had likely been a false name, anyway.

"Andi somehow figured out what George was and he told Thomas, Thomas freaked and told me, and of course I didn't think you were real then, so I told him to calm down, and the next morning…he was gone. There was this one, Shelia…she said she thought she heard he was a fledging," he continued, unaware of the fact that Shelia herself was a well-known rumor mill, full of inaccurate information.

"That was over a year ago, though…but he's still in the city, I know it…he wouldn't have left without me."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
David blinked as a deluge of foreign names fell from Bill's lips and he tried to sort out who was who.  As he spoke, his right hand came up and described a haphazard pattern in the air, his index finger jabbing as he tried to connect the imaginary dots that were significant in Bill's life.

"So... Tom's your brother?  And he dated George for two years and never knew George was a vampire?  Then he found out, freaked out and disappeared the next day?  Or night?  And you've never seen George either?  And who or what the fuck is Andi?" he asked, his voice rising an octave as he asked his baffled questions.

Really, he shouldn't care but he was invested in this little drama now and he wanted to get the details right.  His body was turned to face Bill but it still wasn't square, so he dragged a denim-clad knee up onto the bech between them so he could look properly at the other.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »
“I’ve seen George,” Bill corrected, nodding an answer to each of his questions. “I thought he was nice, before…you know, he totally kidnapped my brother. Andi is…well he was Thomas’s friend, and now he’s mine, I guess. He’s a groupie…goes to Risk like every other night. He’s the one that told my brother about what George is.”

David was acting so interested…Bill wondered if he was simply laughing at the antics of human on the inside. He supposed that the event that had upended his life—that is, the disappearance of his brother—had left a sour taste in his mouth at the thought of vampires. They were all just soulless, blood-sucking fiends to him, the same that had stolen his brother from him. Despite that, though, he knew he had to play nice…his brother was one of them now, after all.

And then there was Emil. If Bill hadn’t had the experience of Emil feeding from him, he would have doubted that Emil was even a vampire at all. He was so human…David was acting pretty human, too, so far. Still, better safe than sorry and treat David with as much respect as possible, while still explaining his plight. He doubted David would want to really help, anyway.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »
"I gather you didn't get a chance to ask George what the go with your brother is, when you saw him?" David prompted regretfully, doubting he'd receive a positive answer, or Bill would surely have more understanding of his brother's whereabouts.

At the same time he was listening for his answer, he was trying to recall if he'd ever hooked up with a guy at Risk by the name of Andi and came to the conclusion it was entirely possible, though he didn't remember the name in particular.  He visited Risk four or so times a month, though; names and faces blurred a little, after a few years of that.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 12:46:57 AM »
“I haven’t seen him since,” Bill shook his head sadly. “He disappeared when my brother did, and I don’t have any way on contacting him. I never did, really. And he obviously doesn’t want to contact me, what with him kidnapping my brother and all.”

He couldn’t stop the tinge of bitterness in his voice at that, the betrayal still hurting. He had never not liked George…they had simply never spoken much. And now…now he had whisked Thomas away and turned him into a vampire, probably to keep Thomas from running away. He was probably the one keeping Thomas from seeing Bill, even.

“I’m sure you don’t want to hear about my troubles,” he tried to change the subject, hoping David wouldn’t take too much offense at the bitter tone he had had a moment before. It had been more than obvious that Bill wasn’t overly fond of George, after all, and they were both vampires.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
David was momentarily confused when Bill said he'd not seen George since his brother went missing, because he'd thought his previous statement had been telling him he had but he only got as far as, "Bu-," before Bill continued and he decided to just ignore the confusion.

He chuckled at the mortal's final statement.  "Bit late for that, if it's true," he grinned, tilting his head ironically towards the boy before he pulled back and dismissed the nonsense statement with a wave of his hand.  "Besides, I asked.  It's not like you bashed me over the head and forced me to listen," he said by way of putting the matter to rest (which he assumed Bill was attempting with his words, rather than sincerely apologising for having a bit of harmless conversation).

"So, you planning to just sit here the rest of the night or you want to come for a ride with me?" he offered, pulling his helmet onto his lap and bestowing a cocky grin upon the mortal.  The kid seemed like he needed a bit of fun and David was always up for someone to adventure with.  He just hoped he wouldn't lose the fragile-looking boy off the back of the bike in a strong wind.

{ooc: you've never said what Bill's wearing, otherwise I'd have looked at his outfit and added some thoughts on that with regard to bike riding and high wind as well  :smile:

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
Bill had, naturally, meant that he had seen George in general, not at any specific time. He hadn't exactly been clear on that idea, however, and it never occurred to him that he had at any point been confusing in his words.

Thankfully, David seemed to be just fine with with Bill's abrupt change in conversation, allowing his faux pax to go by unremarked upon. He really would have hated to have offended the vampire by accident, after all…especially since David didn't seem to be the bad sort of vampire that only wanted Bill for a meal.

Bill tugged his black pleather jacket down over his narrow hips a bit as David spoke. He had never been on a motorcycle before…it sounded as exciting as it did terrifying. It was something that Thomas would have steadfastly refused to let him even touch, much less get a ride on. Even Andi had told Bill more than once to never go off with a vampire alone, at least outside of Risk. Too many things could happen, he had explained, and Bill would just as likely end up dead as finding his brother.

"Where are you going?" Bill asked hesitantly, not wanting to let David go just yet. He may be a vampire, but he had only just begun to talk to Bill, and he certainly wasn't about to end a perfectly good conversation. He wondered if a vampire would actually fess up to his prey before he took him away, anyway.

What did it matter, though, really? The music store was closing and Thomas wasn't here. Andi wasn't here, either, so technically speaking he was alone with a vampire, in the middle of a crowd or not. He was already breaking the rules.

Bill worried his lip a little, tugging his jacket tighter over the grey Tool shirt he wore as a sharp wind lifted from the water to blow its way down the boardwalk. It was night at the boardwalk, which meant that it was fairly cool, anyway. What was he going to do, freeze his ass off waiting for Thomas, who wasn't going to come, or continue talking to David, who might just as likely take Bill somewhere warm.

Considering the alternative, it really did seem better than walking home in defeat…especially considering the fact that he had already begun to wear down his second hand black converse from the sheer fact that he did not own a car. He had never even learned to drive, as a matter of fact.

"I've never been on a motorcycle before," he continued after a moment, obviously having come close already to convincing himself to go with the vampire, wherever David was headed.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
David grinned charmingly, liking the sense of hesitation yet interest he was getting from the mortal.  It made him look at the boy differently and decide he really was quite nice looking, beneath his fashionably big hair and the makeup.  He had a gentle face that would be rather pretty with a bit of colour brought into it and the vampire wanted to see that; he wanted to get him excited and make him flush with it.

"I wasn't going anywhere special, just for a ride along the coast road after I'd finished crowd watching here.  It's twisty, see, and it's nice to ride on a clear night like this, the wind in your face and the bike twisting beneath you like a living thing.  If you're worried, I won't go too fast and you can have my helmet - I don't need it anyway, my reflexes are far too good for me to crash, I just wear it so I don't keep getting pulled over by cops.  It's such a pain in the ass to Dominate them and convince them they never saw me," he snorted, rolling his eyes at the inconvenience authorities represented to him.

"What do you think?" he continued with a cheeky smile.  "Think you can get a nice firm grip on me from behind so I can take you where your problems can't catch you for a while?"  It wouldn't be proper if he didn't warn the bike virgin that he was about to get really up close and personal with someone who was still a relative stranger.  If more than just arms wrapped around him was implied... oh, well.