Author Topic: Second Summoning  (Read 6082 times)

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Second Summoning
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:19:12 AM »
The call had come before the appointed time, before Charon had told him it would and before Murphy was ready although he knew he would have no choice but to be ready. He’d wanted to prepare more questions before he saw Charon again but they had come easily enough the last time that perhaps he wouldn’t need to worry about it.

That hadn’t been the only thing Murphy had been worried about since he’d received a call telling him to expect to be picked up in an hour. It had only been a couple of nights since he’d last seen Ben and Ben’s reaction to feeding from him that time had been slightly different to the other times. It had been more… intimate. Hadn’t it? Murphy wasn’t even sure any more, but that was the impression he’d got. And after Charon bringing up their relationship at their last meeting Murphy was wondering if it might come up again. How could it not when Murphy wasn't even sure if he should let anyone else drink from him so soon after? Definitely not more than a couple of mouthfuls and if it wasn't Charon requesting his presence Murphy would have come up with an excuse to leave it a few more nights.

He'd had a call from Ben to tell him they were going away which had been unexpected and so sudden. Kerr had his reasons for wanting to go though and Murphy could kind of understand. He could definitely understand Ben going along with it to keep his lover happy. Even in the short time he'd gone Ben had already managed to send him a deluge of information. Too much for Murphy to have been able to do more than just glance at before having to get ready to be picked up but he'd seen enough to excite Murphy and make him want to think more about his next project. From the excited message from his friend it sounded like the pages were some ancient book, a little about the ghosts Ben had been looking for but so much more as well. It would take time to read it all and with work and other commitments Murphy was just hoping he'd have time before Ben got back to look at it properly.

Tonight he didn’t have much time to think about ghoulies and ghosties and other things he might choose to write about at all. Tonight there was a far more solid creature of the night to think about – a vampire who was over three thousand years old. Murphy had showered and only put a tiny amount of product in his hair to give it some texture, before dressing, trying to find a line between being smart and not looking like he was making too much effort. He’d eventually settled on a pair of dark denim jeans teamed with a grey shirt, the top few buttons undone and the sleeves of his shirt rolled up to his mid forearms. Murphy never wore make-up although he knew that made him something of a rarity amongst a lot of the vampire groupies in the city – there seemed little point to change that habit now. Perhaps he should have worn something which hid his throat a little more but if Charon wanted to drink from him a turtleneck wouldn't change that. Maybe mentioning that he'd been drunk from so recently wouldn't either.

After another smooth car ride in a vehicle Murphy knew he would never be able to afford the human found himself stood alone in the entranceway to the mansion once again, his heart pounding and his hazel eyes gazing around the exquisite architecture. Charon had said he might be allowed a tour, he might be permitted to meet other members of the Sacramentum. But that had been when they had been arranging to meet a month later than this. Maybe telling Ben someone had been asking something about them had changed things. Hopefully not.

It took a couple of seconds before Murphy realised he was being watched and he glanced around quickly at the feeling of eyes on him, instinctively smiling in greeting.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Second Summoning
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »
Charon had arranged for Murphy to be brought to his greenhouse, attached to the back of the south wing of the mansion.  The journalist had likely received a few glimpses into some very grand rooms on the way to the back of the house, had he been astute enough to pay attention to the doorways they moved past.  The doorman who greeted him had done so silently, and wasn't dressed as a servant would be, but more like an inhabitant.  To Murphy's knowing eye, he would identify this figure as a vampire, though the fellow did not introduce himself and intimidated silence from those near him.  The foyer was grand, the hallway almost as wide, the carpeted corridor dressed in creams, beige and lilac with golden highlights was as luxurious as the tidbits that Murphy would see through open double arch doorways - one that led to a ballroom, another to a very long, narrow dining room, impressions of rooms that could be offices or dens, more that had closed doors, and then through a plain but extra wide and tall door - the greenhouse itself.

Murphy was led to the large glass room, lit by fairy lights along the edged panes and very little else.  The moon was near full tonight, which meant the low lighting wasn't a hindrance to the mortal's eyesight.  He would see everything quite clearly, including Charon's sickly and squat-faced visage.  Murphy's usher melted into shadows that weren't quite black enough to melt into, which was quite the feat.  Charon merely turned his face slightly to acknowledge Murphy with a nod, but continued to groom his roses, shears in hand.

"I used to believe in many Gods and Goddesses," he began conversationally, his hushed and cracking voice sibilant yet clear in the very still night - shielded from the sounds of wildlife thanks to the panes of glass that surrounded them.  "Then I believed in one God, when the new religions surfaced, but now I don't believe at all.  Here," his right hand lowered the shears onto the table before him so he could gesture at his eyes - bright and intelligent and ill-suited to the rest of his emaciated face, "these have seen evolution in progress.  I have watched plants breed across species between themselves with nobody to guide them, I have watched plants change in their array of colours in order to reward the most efficient to attract their insect varieties.  I have watched human beings themselves grow to astounding heights, then shrink to diminutive statures, then grow again to what we have now, of average height and build."  His wrist rotated so that his hand circled magnanomously to include Murphy in this pedestrian description of humankind.  "Do you believe in the afterlife, Murphy?  Do you think there is an eternity for everyone?"

His face seemed amused, though his eyes bore into Murphy's own with an intensity that belied the seriousness behind the question.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:43:14 AM »
Murphy tried to keep his eyes to himself but he couldn’t help glancing around in interest at the rooms they past, wondering where the other inhabitants of the house were, or in fact where he was being taken. He assumed it was to Charon, but this house was so huge and from what he’d glimpsed there could be anything in here.

His smile had faded as they walked and his worries about Charon wanting to feed from him began to swell in the pit of his stomach, twisting and churning as he was taking into the greenhouse, so even the beautiful greenery and the scent of the flowers couldn’t distract him from it. Although it wasn’t long before Charon acknowledged he was there properly by speaking it felt to Murphy like an age and he lifted a hand to lightly play with the buttons of his shirt.

His hazel eyes drifted over Charon’s disfigured face, his heart rate pounding and he had no doubt the vampire would be able to hear it. If Ben hadn’t fed from him just a couple of nights ago Murphy would have been so excited, wanting to hear more stories, pleased that he had another chance to learn more and get closer to Charon, but it was strange how circumstances could make experiences so different. He really hoped he wouldn’t disappoint the ancient by not letting him drink as much as he wanted. He imagined that face could become pretty scary if the mood took him. But here, surrounded by the plants and the peace of the greenhouse, he looked ill, as though he was perhaps recovering from a sickness which would never completely leave him.

He took a deep breath as Charon spoke, stepping closer and glancing around at a few of the flowers to try to calm himself as he focused on what the vampire was saying. And it seemed to be getting very deep very quickly. He turned his gaze back to the vampire, frowning slightly at the question being put it him.

“It would depend on how you were to define the afterlife. Becoming a vampire could be considered having an afterlife. And I just found out recently ghosts can exist. But Heaven and Hell? No,” Murphy said, shaking his head slightly. “I don’t think everyone’s lucky enough to have a second chance. Or unlucky enough I guess in some cases,” he added with a small shrug. Being a ghost, trapped forever with no way out, that had to be horrible.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
Charon eyed Murphy first with satisfaction and then with suspicion.  He peeked into the journalist's mind to see what he meant by the last comment and received thoughts about ghosts.  Interesting.  It relieved him, that the journalist wasn't making some peculiar backhanded retort about Charon himself - he'd already judged the mortal as respectful and sincere, and it would be no good to discover that he could be fooled or had been wrong.  No, Murphy was predictable, and that was what he needed most.

"Follow," he ordered, setting down his shears and moving gracefully through the greenhouse with Murphy at his heel.  He mentally ordered a servant to start a fire for him in his den while he showed Murphy his most prized plants; his favourite roses, the delicate orchids, the wispy ivy and the fragrant cacti.  There was no cohesion to the greenhouse - it was simply an array of plantlife from all over the world that flourished under Charon's educated hands.  After this brief tour of Charon's favourite place in the mansion, he led Murphy back through the house past a couple of rooms - mentally conversing with a couple of his family members on the way - and selected a room that already had a roaring fire in the fireplace.  An armchair and loveseat sat angled to one another in front of the fire, and this was the only light source in the room.  It was a lot brighter in here than the first room Murphy had greeted him in, and the dancing light and shadow play on Charon's face were more complimentary than the moonlight had been.

The ancient vampire settled into one of the armchairs and looked at Murphy, seeing if the reporter's patience would allow them to simply sit for a while.  He waited until his guest began to fidget before speaking again.

"You've heard some of my story already," Charon reminded him, "but this time I do not wish to simply spout my memories at you.  Ask me questions, if you remember them from last time, or perhaps new ones you've thought of in the meantime."

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »
Murphy was an attention audience to anything Charon had to say and he obediently followed the ancient around the greenhouse and then the mansion – or at least a few areas. As they had moved around the plants Murphy couldn’t help thinking about how Charon’s rough, disfigured features contrasted so much with the gorgeous flowers. The greenhouse was clearly one of the vampire’s loves and surely someone who was so nurturing to plant life must be just as devoted to his family, which Murphy had seen a glimpse of during their previous discussions. You might not have thought it to look at him, but Murphy had learnt long ago appearances could be deceptive.

Upon entering the cosy room Murphy was a little surprised – both by the better light (Charon seemed to prefer the dim light which had been a strain on the human’s eyes thus far) and by the fact that the vampire chose the armchair rather than the loveseat where he could have had Murphy sat beside him. Murphy had expected the subject of drinking to have come up sooner rather than later, as Charon had indicated it would on their last meeting and the larger chair would have been more conducive to that, but apparently this wasn’t going to just be a repeat of last time.

He took his seat angled towards Charon, on the side closest to the vampire and as the silence stretched out Murphy didn’t find it that uncomfortable at first. He took his time to look around the room they’d entered, silently admiring the roaring fire as no house he’d ever lived in had even had a fireplace, let alone one so grand. He could happy have spent hours exploring the architecture of the house, but he was very aware of Charon’s gaze on him and it didn’t take long before the silence was broken when Charon saw him shift in his seat, his fingers playing with a crease in his pants, wondering if he was supposed to start a conversation or let Charon take the lead.

As he was invited to ask Murphy took in a slow breath, trying to figure out where to start. Charon’s initial topic of conversation had brought Murphy to thinking about a similar discussion he’d had with Ben only a couple of nights before and the blonde’s thoughts on parallel worlds and different planes – the leylines of the city. That was something interesting about this place and the fact that it drew so many creatures without most of them really realising why they had come. Perhaps Charon would know more about that, or have seen something like it other places. But time with the ancient was limited and Murphy didn’t want to ask something he could potentially find out from other sources, Charon was giving him time and attention and Murphy didn’t want to squander it.

The breath was released again as Murphy met Charon’s gaze, realising that although he had a hundred questions about Charon’s fledglings, where they had lived, what parts of history they had seen, there was one thing he wanted to know more.

Why am I here?
Why so soon?
Why did the plans change?
Was it me?
Was it something I did?
Did you just want to see me again?

But any of those could lead to an abrupt end to this meeting and if it was going to end badly then Murphy would rather it be later rather than sooner. So he headed off down a different path, hopefully a safer one.

“Okay, well… you said the last time someone was properly brought into your family was around the turn of the century, the last century, the 1890s? Where was that? Who was that? Does it get more difficult adapting to new eras as time goes on? And the people in them?” Murphy realised as he shut his mouth that was probably too many questions all at once, but in his mind they were all related to the siring of the most recent legitimate Sacramentum fledgling and he enjoyed Charon’s stories so Murphy wanted to give the vampire something he could respond to fully. He gave a somewhat apologetic smile as he finished, hoping he hadn’t ploughed in too much.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
"Ah, George," Charon began, seeking to touch the vampire's mind and discovering that he wasn't in the mansion but was on an artistic mission somewhere else in the city, with a few mortals.  Some of the other family members updated Charon as to his whereabouts.  At least George wasn't running off without telling anyone anymore, that had been trialling.  "1897, he came into our family.  He had quite a short induction, due to Catherine's insistence."

Catherine, it hurt him to speak of her, but was sure her name hurt Felicia more.

"His sire met an untimely end, unfortunately, in an effort to save us all.  George reminded her of her father, I believe, and because of his nature and his humility, I saw fit to bless her choice.  I'm glad I did now, for her bloodline lives in him."  He paused for a moment in order to think back over Murphy's set of questions.  "It doesn't get more difficult, the world hasn't changed for me as much as you think.  There might be scientific and technological advancement, but they only help mortals in reality.  I've always had the ability to send 'wireless signals' to those I wish to communicate with, even over great distances.  I see pictures in people's minds, I do not need television.  I no longer get sick, I do not need medical advancements.  I might not look it, but I can outrun any car.  People are the same, though more of them are less receptive to violence."  Regardless of the television and video games debate that was raging, Charon had to disagree.  There was a time when criminals would be publicly executed, and it brought the crowds.  Gladiatorial fights, for instance, to the death.  The world had been a butchering and bloody place, and though Charon hadn't minded it then and wouldn't mind it now, he didn't miss it either.