Author Topic: Preliminary Meeting  (Read 24040 times)

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
Preliminary Meeting
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
A beach seemed like a particularly odd place to have a preliminary meeting, but it’s exactly what Benny’s reply to the letter had been. The instructions had said that he should meet here a bit after suset with Bill accompanying him. After driving his fancy sports car to pick Bill up from wherever he’d been staying, he’d drove to the location and here they stood side by side in the middle of the sand.

Emil was dressed in some gray swim trunks that stopped just above his knees, a white open shirt exposing some of his chest but not all of it, with two sparkling silver metal chains hanging down. Of course he had sunglasses dotted upon his eyes (though he didn’t need them), hair wet and was entirely barefoot, beach sandals held in his right hand. He couldn’t stop himself from stepping in the waves as he had arrived but now it was nearing closer to the time and he’d settled himself down from all of his playfulness.

“Now, the gentleman to my knowledge is a vampire and his name is Benny. He wanted to know if you knew how old the vampire in question was. And there’s one other thing,”

Emil paused. He didn’t know what Benny had meant by the words but he figured adequate warning was necessary.

“I hear he looks a tad…unusual. So I think it would be best not to stare too intently, nor to ask about it.” Emil whispered lowly.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
Re: Preliminary Meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
Bill had been amazed at Emil's fancy car, though it should have been expected. He almost wished his father had seen him get in the car, just for the small bit of conversation it might have prompted. Might have hopefully prompted, at least. He doubted his father would say anything at all if he had seen, now that he thought about it.

He was wearing black jeans, which he had rolled up to his knees so he could wade into the surf with Emil a bit, his studded belt keeping them at hip-level properly. A slim band t-shirt was stretched over his thin frame, his black pleather jacket laying further up the beach. It wasn't too cold out yet, but he was sure that he would need it on the way home for sure.

"I don't really know much about him besides the fact that his name is George and he's a vampire," Bill admitted, giving a small shrug as he picked up shells on the beach. "I didn't even know he was a vampire until the night Thomas disappeared. And no one knows a vampire named George, so that's probably not even his name."

He was forever grateful that Emil had offered to find and pay a private investigator for him. Unusual looking or not, a complete lack of information or not…maybe he would have better luck than Bill had had so far.

"I didn't think he was human, anyway," Bill added, tossing a broken shell into the waves as he unconsciously revealed his complete lack of knowledge of anything supernatural aside from vampires.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
Benny was thrilled to be working again. With Jake using Conner and the Oligarchy spy division for information Benny had been unemployed. He'd ended up advertising his services in supernatural forums he was so desperate for money. Paying for the type of computer systems, cameras, wires and other such things that Benny needed for his spy network was not cheap, and Benny hated to not finish a project.

The rat had done a few jobs for various wealthy supernaturals to stay afloat. It mostly consisted of spying on rivals and reporting back the gossip that would be used at next week's dinner party. Benny hated that sort of dribble, but he often thought work is work. When Emil's email had been read thoroughly - and several times for clarity of thought - Benny decided that although he had doubts, this was possibly a real gig. It was also a gig that promised good payment and an interesting case; two facts that Benny could not ignore.

How much he charged would depend on a few things, and Benny needed this meeting to determine his fee and if he wanted the case. He couldn't imagine saying no, unless the vampires Jake, Kerr, Conner, Lazarus or Brianna were mentioned, and the only real no was Lazarus. All others could be properly bought. He took ground in a sewer pipe that had a dark area wide enough and high enough from the pumping water to rest in. It was a tight fit, but Benny the rat had slept in far worse places. He'd risen as soon as the sun's light died. He stepped out of the pipe and opened a duffle bag he'd carried with him. He changed into dry clothes and stuffed the smelly wet ones into the bag. He wore jeans and a Rolling Stones shirt, his normal garb. His yellow eyes shined in the growing darkness, his pointy ears listened for the sound of his appointment.

Within a few minutes two men arrived and Benny guessed the eccentric one had to be Emil. Benny passed no judgement on the vampire. Maybe he was just Malkavain. He could be a dog in the body of a vampire for all Benny cared, he was paying. The other one Benny assumed was Bill by process of elimination. He was human and young. Benny watched them both for sometime, keeping his spot in the darkness. They were none the wiser to him. Stealth, invisibility, these were his skills. The darkness was his only friend.

Once he was sure this was not a hoax or a setup, he walked slowly into view. Emil would see him first because he was a supernatural. To Bill's mortal eyes Benny would seem to appear out of nowhere. Benny hated introductions, but he waited until he was sure he had both their focus before speaking.

"Ugh, hi. I'm Benny." He turned to his new payroll system. "I'm guessing your Emil?" His tone was friendly for him, but might sound gruff and brief to his potential clients. Benny would not let any screams are looks about his appearance affect him. He was used to it.   
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »
The sight of Benny was a bit much to process in a glance. Emil had been warned, certainly, but he hadn’t really prepared himself to encounter someone who was so horribly disfigured. His curiosity batted at his mind inciting him to ask what had happened, though such words would never part his lips. His politeness wouldn’t allow such a crass question, even if Benny and he were someday to become smashing friends.

“Yes,  I’m Emil Elwira. I’m pleased that we could meet tonight. This is my friend, Bill.” He spoke in an even tone, gesturing briefly to the mortal. Excitableness could sometimes be misinterpreted and he didn’t want to spoil what might be a potentially good business deal. He extended his hand out towards the man with a pleasant smile on his face, expecting a handshake. As he waited he sized Benny up, deciding the other vampire was a good amount of years younger. Yet, he wasn’t a fledging, and it was information that swayed him all the more not to get into any sort of conflict with the other vampire.  If Benny was as good as tracking people down as Emil had heard, he was confident the vampire had other nifty skills that would give him advantage in a situation like this.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
Bill walked along the shore, admiring shells while knowing that he probably wouldn’t take any home, at least tonight. Maybe some night he could convince Emil to take him back here so he could get some. Even so, he would probably need a flashlight to even find any good ones…he was feeling around in the dark as it was for right now.

It was several minutes before he just happened to look up and see the newcomer, Benny. Only the light of the half-moon illuminated the vampire in front of him, giving Bill the impression that he was horrible disfigured. Then again, no one really looked good in darkness, and his human eyes could only process so much before simply guessing what was left and filling in the blanks.

Remembering his promise not to stare, he dropped his gaze, coming up to stand beside Emil, though still a bit behind him. He wanted to reach out and grasp Emil’s shirt for comfort, but he was well aware that they weren’t alone and that might not be something Emil was comfortable with in public. So he remained still, the shells dropped in the sand by his feet as he tried to subtly observe the other vampire. Respect was key, he knew, and even Emil seemed to agree. Bill had never seen him this sedated before.

“Hello,” he spoke softly after Emil gestured to him, glancing up to meet yellow eyes briefly before once more dropping his gaze. He resumed the ‘don’t speak unless spoken to’ mantra for the time being, at least until it was his turn to explain everything. He wondered if Benny was as disfigured as Bill thought his was, or if the darkness hid more or less than that.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
The handshake caught Benny off guard. Normally, he would have refused such a thing, but Emil looked the type who would take it personal. Benny exposed his claw to the moonlight and placed it in Emil's normal looking hand. The sensation of touch entered into Benny's awareness, and did all sorts of funny things for him. It felt like warm goo on the edge of his subconscious and fire on his palm.

He was happy that Bill didn't offer his hand. One uncomfortable handshake was more than enough for someone that lacked social graces like Benny. He did nod in the kids direction, after all, there was no sense in being unprofessional. Plus, he was missing his brother, and even someone as alone as Benny knew how much that must suck.

"So not to cut the social graces," Benny began, "But what exactly do you need me to do?"

It may have seemed quick to just dive in, but they were not exactly friends, and Benny was best when he was working.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »
After the handshake, there was no sign of discomfort on Emil’s face. He’d trained long and hard in the realm of social etiquette and all of this was but one bump in the road. Of course he did end up scratched the back of his head with crunched eyebrows. It was hard not to hide his own confusion; hadn’t he sent Benny a letter? Was this the right guy? Perhaps Benny just had a short memory…which he gathered, couldn’t be helpful at all when it came to his line of work. Nonetheless, Emil dropped his hand to his side and continued forward.

“Absolutely. Bill’s brother Thomas has been missing for quite some time and we thought that with your expertise you might be able to find him. Bill suspects that Thomas has become a fledging to a vampire named George- but that’s unfortunately the extent of the information that he knows.”

Emil bit his lip, looking from Bill to Benny. What could he do to help in this situation?

“Although perhaps, if you ask the right questions, Bill might remember some information he didn’t before.”

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »
"I don't  think his name is really George," Bill supplied with a frown once Emil was done speaking. "That's just the name he went by when I knew him. But no one knows a vampire named George, so I think it was a fake name."

Benny's yellow eyes were quite disconcerting, he thought to himself as he stood behind Emil. This was Emil's friend? No, not his friend…friend of a friend, wasn't it? He couldn't remember exactly. Either way, he was thankful to Emil for doing this…it was more than he had expected, and more than anyone else had done.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
"I'll admit it's not much to go on, but I think i can find him," Benny said confidently.

He really did think that he could. It wasn't a difficult case, and Benny was sure with the use of modern technology and espionage it would take a couple of weeks tops. Even if he found him dead - which Benny thought was more likely than he being sired - Bill's brother would be located. He was respectful as Emil and Bill spoke, keeping eye contact. He did move his right foot back and forth in the sand, as he was nervous, and this is simply what he did when he felt uncomfortable. He turned his attention to Bill.

"You and I need to talk," he gave Emil a slight glance, "privately. I got a lot of questions to ask you and this is your case so it's got to be you."

He wasn't dismissing Emil outright. There was still matters of money to be discussed. He was just letting Bill know that this was not over until they had some personal chat time.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »
Emil had predicted that the situation would eventually become an exclusive chat between Benny and Bill and that he was fine with that. His only concern was how comfortable Bill would be with him leaving his side but he gathered once Bill got into talking about his brother, any nervousness would fade.

“I understand completely. Would you two like to discuss things alone for the moment? I’ve brought proper payment and can return when your discussion is concluded. Or mayhaps you would prefer to receive the payment first? I gather there is a sort of retainer fee for this kind of business.”

He focused on Benny, due to the questions about the payment preferences.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »
Bill flicked his eyes in between Benny and Emil, unconsciously taking hold of Emil's shirt. He didn't want him to go, to leave him alone with Benny. The yellow eyes creeped him out a little bit. But…Benny was the one that was going to find his brother, and Emil probably didn't care that much about the issue, as long as it was resolved and Bill got his closure.

He forced himself to let go of the vampire's shirt, sending Emil an apologetic look. He hoped Benny hadn't caught the gesture, though undoubtedly he had, considering his line of work. He was paid to catch the small things.

"Emil can stay," Bill offered immediately, his voice wavering a little. He didn't really want to be alone with a complete stranger, and if Emil were willing to stay… "I don't mind, I mean…"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »
Benny did catch Bill grabbing Emil's shirt, and sensed an emotion. Was it fear? Was it trepidation? Benny could not tell. Benny stayed stone faced. He expected people to judge and fear him and to not want to be alone with him. Bill was no different. Benny decided that talking to Emil was easier as he seemed less whatever it was Bill was feeling.

"Yeah there is certainly a fee, but not retainer, it's an equipment fee. I brought an invoice."

He reached into his jean pocket and pulled a typed sheet of paper displaying an itemized sheet of everything he planned on using to find a missing person. Benny didn't know what kind of money Emil had, but how he reacted to Benny's equipment fee would tell a lot. He turned uneasily back to Bill, feeling he needed to be a bit more assertive.

"And I'm sorry Bill, but I'd rather the two of us chat in private. The less people know about how I work the better, even if they're paying me."

Then Benny did something he almost never did. He smiled. Horrid, yellow razors filled a jagged mouth. To someone with a morbid sense of humor it looked almost like art. He hoped that Emil would be able to tell he was making a joke, but Benny didn't have the best delivery. He was an excellent internet troll, but that sort of humor never seemed to work in the corporeal world.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
Bill didn’t want him to go; that much was evident by the way the young mortal grasped at him. There were hints of fright and desperation in that grip despite its brevity. Emil was grateful that he hadn’t had to make any non-verbal hints about the gesture ; Bill detected his mistake and corrected it, though it was still embarrassing nonetheless. Emil looked to Benny to gauge if he’d caught the slight movement but he honestly couldn’t tell due to Benny’s blank facial expressions. Sure, he could have attempted to ‘feel’ what was on Benny’s mind but it was a line he rarely crossed with other vampires. Even if he was older than Benny he felt totally unjustified in being mentally aggressive in that way.

Now Emil nodded his head and reached out for the paper. He had decided he’d pay for the service even before he read the price. When he did glance at the invoice his emotion didn’t change, though it perhaps should have. Money wasn’t much of problem for Emil who could blow ten thousand dollars to buy a tailor custom suit. For as generous as he presented himself he was vain when it came to his image.

“Yes, I have about this much in cash that I can deliver to you upfront tonight.” Emil confirmed, taking care that the way he held the paper disabled Bill from reading how much he’d be paying. It would be better if the mortal didn’t know with the way he was with repayment guilt.

He smiled back at Benny, feeling the awkwardness of the situation but going with whatever Benny did. Surely a smile was meant to be greeted by a smile. Now, though, he was being pushed by the investigator to abandon the situation. He had to push Bill, too, but do it in a way that was comforting. It was unfortunate he’d yet to discuss mental communication with Bill or he could have communicated the message with much more ease. As uncomfortable as all of this was, it wasn’t an emergency situation and he refused to use mental communication without at least talking about it beforehand.

“I think he’s right, dear. I’ll go back to the car and arrange the payment and you can send me a text message when all is well. Alright, pookie?”

He slathered the mortal in nicknames and brushed his hand against Bill’s to try to give him peace of mind about the separation.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »
Bill flicked his eyes in between the two, understanding Benny's reasons for wanting it to simply be the two of them, but still nervous about the exchange. Still, he couldn't expect Emil to stay when he clearly had others things to do!

He glanced at the paper in Emil's hand, unable to read anything in the dark; he was sure that Emil wouldn't have let him see the invoice, anyway. It couldn't have been too much, he figured, if Emil could get that much in cash tonight. Maybe it was only a few hundred or something like that. On the other hand…Bill was very, very glad that Emil was paying Benny in money so that Bill didn't have to pay the disfigured vampire in blood.

"Okay," he assented finally, the small nickname and the gesture swaying him far more than Benny's reasons. Emil was just going to be in the car, and if anything did happen, he'd be close enough to rescue Bill, with any hope. It wasn't exactly what he wanted, but he supposed that it would have to do. He turned his attention back to Benny.

"I understand," he answered him, his voice still soft and timid. That smile was horrid, filled with pointy yellow teeth. It put Bill on edge, though Benny was supposedly working in his favor. He was suddenly very, very glad for that.

"Whatever gets my brother back."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 02:27:53 AM »
Things were moving. Benny ceased the smile and returned his mouth to it's more natural sneer. He was happy to see Emil didn't think his fee unreasonable. It made things much simpler when things didn't have be haggled. Emil seemed to understand his need to be alone with Bill, and he appreciated Emil facilitating that for him. He may have been a little strange for Benny's taste, but the slightly younger vampire decided he liked his elder.

"Yeah you go to the car, get the cash, take a smoke if you'r into that sort of thing, and we'll be done as soon as you can say megabyte."

He turned to Bill even before Emil had officially left and felt the fear and awkwardness. Benny was always amazed how people were so quick to judge him for his horrid appearance. It wasn't his fault he was cursed with a nasty face and body. It was just the way of the Nosferatu. However, mortals were inclined to fear what they could not understand, and nightmares were made of figures like Benny. He cut the kid some slack on these principles and addressed him with respect.

"I'll need to know all about your brother," he started. "I mean every detail, right down to the shampoo he uses. I'll also need some photographs. I got to know who I'm looking for."

He decided that the standing in the sand was part of what was making it so awkard. He sat on the beach and indicated Bil to do the same with a hand gesture. If he didn't sit, Benny would just crouch back and relax, trying to send a message that could be surmised as; I'm not going to eat you so stop being afraid.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 03:24:38 AM »
With one last glance towards Bill,  he stood on one foot as he slipped on one of his sandals and then did the other. He turned to leave as soon as Benny had started talking, hoping that if anything turned for the worst Bill would text him or let him know somehow.

-Exit Emil-

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 03:33:25 AM »
To be completely honest, it wasn't only Benny's appearance that unnerved Bill; he naturally tried not to associate with other supernaturals, considering that one was the reason his brother was missing.

"Don't you want to know how he disappeared?" Bill asked curiously, taking a seat across from Benny and pulling his messenger bag close. He had a few pictures of his brother from a few years ago, but he knew that the pictures were few and far between…he didn't have any pictures of George at all.

"I have pictures, I mean," he offered, digging into his messenger bag to pull  out the two photographs he had showing the tall male with the blond-brown dreadlocks.

"Do vampires look different after they get turned?" he asked, referring mainly to Benny's looks. It hadn't really occurred to him before, but that could be why he hadn't found his brother yet, and perhaps why Thomas refused to come home. He understood, of course, that not every vampire became disfigured after turning or the city would be overrun with hideous monsters instead of attractive ones. But if it had happened to Thomas...

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 04:12:59 AM »
Benny looked at the photographs. The kid had a very distinct appearance, one that Benny actually liked. The dreadlocks were a statement and Benny liked anybody willing to be themselves. He turned his gaze back to Bill to answer his question. He knew the subtext was will my brother look like you? He understood. After all, he was mortal. There was that whole mortal fear thing to contend with.

"No man most look the same as they did when they were humans. Actually, most get more attractive. My, ugh, blood type caused me to look this way. I'm a Nosferatu. It's like some people are Dutch others are German ya know."

This was the best he was going to do explaining vampire clans to a mortal who'd had limited contact with supernaturals. He considered it sufficient and decided to answer his other question too.

"Yeah I definitely want to know about how and when he disappeared. I just need some other details to know who I'm looking for. Sometimes it's the smallest details that give the biggest clues. You ever watch that Sherlock Holmes guy? It's never the obvious thing. It's always the thing that seems the most pointless."

Benny was actually enjoying talking to Bill. it was nice to be talking to anybody. As ugly as he looked on the outside and as tough as he could be, he really did want friendships from people. He was already being much more social than usual and he could not pinpoint why. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:38 AM »
He was a little surprised at how easy Benny seemed to talk to. He sounded…normal, actually. Like someone Bill would meet on the street and talk to, instead of some mysterious creature of the night. The lingo went a long way towards settling his nerves; it was hard to be afraid of someone that spoke so casually, after all.

"Oh…okay," Bill smiled a little, wondering if he was referring to his human blood type or his vampire blood type.

"He um…he dated this guy named George for a while…two years, actually. George was an older guy and they met when Thomas was working at his job at the supermarket near our house, third shift," he explained, trying to give as much detail as possible.

"And then one day Thomas came home, raving about how…about how George was a vampire. His friend Andi told him, I guess, and Andi knows 'cause he's a vampire groupie. He goes to Risk a few times a week. But anyway, Thomas wanted to pack our stuff and get out of town 'cause he was freaking out, which is totally understandable. But I told him it was total bullshit because vampires can't possibly exist, you know, and convinced him to stay. I woke up the next morning and he was gone. He didn't take anything except his phone…and I haven't seen him since. I just know it was George that took him, but…I don't know how to find him or anything. I mean obviously, or I wouldn't have come to you."

Bill sighed, wondering what else he could tell Benny. He had never thought of the fact that his brother might have changed his hair or his name, or the possibility that he may very well still be human and still living it up as a pet in his boyfriend's house. He didn't know a lot about the vampire world, and to him the thought of George kidnapping his brother and forcibly turning him into a fledgling was certainly the most likely of all of the possibilities he had thought up.

"This one vampire, Shelia, said she thought she knew a fledgling that matched Thomas's description," he added as an afterthought, naming a vampire well known for giving out false rumors, though of course Bill didn't know that.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
Benny didn't need to take notes. His mind was his notebook. He registered everything and made notes of interest. One, that Thomas dated a vampire for two years and didn't know it. This seemed unlikely. Two, the name of the source. Benny would be looking her up for a little one on one conversation. Another point worth remembering was that Bill thought fledgling first, when dead was more probable. He decided to keep that last one to himself for now.

"DId you ever meet this vampire George?" I mean, if your brother was dating him for two years I'm sure you met him. What's he like?"

Benny decided that he would scan Thomas's photos into the supercomputer and run a scan against every camera he had in the city. His database had eons of useless data, but somewhere in the recorded nights of the city lay a momentary glimpse of Thomas. That and the possible sighting were good places to start. This George vampire was one to be concerned about. He was most likely a stupid fledgling that Benny could tear apart if things got heated. However, if he was older than Benny then the Nosferatu could be in very real danger finding and potentially extracting his pet.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
Bill nodded, remembering George. In two years, he had met the other man only a handful of times, mostly when he had come in for a few minutes to wait on his brother. There was one thing in particular he remembered…the hair. The hair and the worn black leather jacket that he always seemed to be wearing, no matter the weather.

"Yeah," he spoke, pressing his bottom lip in with his teeth as he thought about the older male. "He had this really long hair, brown, and he was always wearing this black leather jacket over a band t-shirt. And he had quite a bit of muscle, too, like he worked out a lot. He drove this 1967 Pontiac GTO most of the time…he was really good with cars.

"I didn't actually speak to him a whole lot…I mean he was nice and courteous and stuff, but he only ever cared about Thomas. I was always just the kid brother, you know? Even after two years, I mean."

He sighed, racking his brain over anything else he could tell the other vampire. Now that he needed the details, it seemed as if his memory was failing him. George had always been a bit aloof with Bill, tolerant but not friendly. Bill had always resented the way George could make his brother smile with just a glance, the way he seemed to swoop Thomas off his feet with money and luxury that their family never had. And now…now he had kidnapped his brother and forced him to become a vampire, if sources were to be believed.

"It's always the ones you never suspect," he spoke lowly, mostly to himself. "I mean he was nice and stuff, but the second Thomas found out…" He shook his head, his throat sore from holding back emotion. He wanted nothing more than to break down into tears, but he held back emotion for Benny's sake. Nobody liked a crybaby, after all.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »
Benny didn't do emotions well, but not because he didn't empathize. He just never knew what to say when someone was upset. He would have patted Bill on the shoulder as he spoke of his brother's vanishing but he couldn't bring himself to place the ugly claw on Bill's delicate mortal frame. As it were, Benny had more than enough information to find Thomas, and George.

"Don't worry kiddo," Benny said after a brief pause. "I'll find him, and I bet quickly too. You gave me a lot of good information."

He would have smiled again, but remembered it not going over so well the first time. He gave a thumbs up with a closed mouth grin. It was still horrifying to look at, but again funny in an art deco sort of way. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 01:42:40 AM »
Bill looked up at Benny, smiling at the gesture. It was almost comical, the way he tried not to show his teeth. His lips turned up even more into a bright smile at Benny. He had been worried that he couldn't give the other very useful information, but the small gesture reassured him quite a bit. If Benny said he could find his brother, then Bill believed him…he had no reason to question the statement, after all.

"Thanks!" he beamed at the vampire. "I really appreciate it! Do you like…want my number so you can text me if you get anything?"

Benny could call, too, but Bill wasn't allowed to talk on the phone during his shifts at the gas station, and he certainly didn't want Benny to call him in the middle of the night just for an update because he found one thing. A text would do just nicely unless Benny actually found his brother and Thomas wanted to meet Bill right away.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
Benny liked to email. He barley owned a phone and it had only three numbers. He reacted to the request a little surprised. He grasped for an old flip phone and looked up his own number in the phone's memory, as he didn't have it memorized.

"Ugh, sure. Give it to me man."

He would ad the number when Bill provided it. He would type slowly with his claws as not to break the fragile device. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »
He was a little surprised to see Benny bring out an old flip phone, thinking that Benny would be more likely to have the latest and greatest gadgets, including phones. Then again, he supposed it was probably hard for Benny to get the money that would be freely available to most vampires of age, given his disfigurement; no one would want to hire him.

Bill rattled off his phone number, pulling out his own prepaid phone to capture Benny's number. He wondered if now would be a good time to text Emil to come back since they seemed to be wrapping things up, but he wasn't sure if it was rude or not to assume they were done when they weren't. Not to mention…he didn't mind Benny's company so much in the first place.

"So um…you're way nicer than I thought," he made his thoughts known, blushing a bit at the way it came out. He hadn't thought that Benny would be a monster in the first place, exactly, but that was probably how it sounded.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »
"Yeah these ears aren't exactly inviting," Benny joked. "You know kid, for a human you're really not annoying at all."

Benny found everyone annoying. Although Bill might not have known it, the rat paid no higher compliment. Before Bill could respond, Benny threw in "Oh and awesome hair."

He felt odd about being so forth coming with compliments, but Bill had started it, and Benny found socializing to be fun for a change. He saved Bill's number and texted him his as they spoke their next few sentences. He had all he needed. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
Bill grinned at the compliment, glad that Benny wasn't offended by what he had said. It appeared that Benny knew he was disfigured and preferred to joke about it rather than take offense--something that Bill truly respected in someone. He wondered how long it had taken Benny to come to terms with that, and how long he had been hiding his ugliness from civilization. He couldn't imagine that Benny's appearance landed too many friends, after all.

"Thanks," he beamed at the other, saving Benny's number on his phone. "The humidity's making it all frizzy, though...hair spray can only do so much."

He paused, doubting that Benny really cared about his hair; he was probably just mentioning it off-hand, after all. Bill smiled, shuffling his feet a little. On second thought, maybe he should send Emil the text.

"So um...I'm going to text Emil, if we're done," he offered, not yet doing so; he wanted approval from Benny first, after all. "I was thinking that we could um...hang out sometime, I guess...you know, in case you find something. Or if you don't, that's still cool. I'd invite you to coffee, I mean, but...apparently vampires don't eat or drink."

He had just found out that snippet a few weeks ago, honestly.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Benny wore a puzzled expression. Was this human wanting to be his friend? Formally? Even beings who were nice to Benny never wanted to hang out with him. That was just unheard off. Still, Bill seemed honest. Benny rolled the idea over in his mind, a friend for me? He didn't have long to respond as Bill was waiting. He decided to not show his real feelings, gratitude and excitement, and instead played the humor.

"We drank.... blood. Seriously, put it in a mug and warm it up and it's like we're having coffee."

He laughed a little at his own joke before remembering the first thing that Bill had said.

"Oh, yeah sure. We're done here."

The truth was Benny didn't want Bill to go. He was having fun, but he didn't want to come off clingy, and they did have a business arrangement to deal with first.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »
Bill grinned at the small joke, however sickened he was at the thought of anyone drinking blood and liking it. He needed to get over it, he really did. That was how they survived, after all, and he had come to realize that he didn't quite not enjoy the feedings, himself. It was just the thought of blood warmed up in a mug...

"Well I knew about the blood thing, I mean," he explained as he sent the other vampire a quick text.

We're done. It went better than I thought.

"I just didn't know that that was the only thing you ate." He blinked as a sudden thought occurred to him. "Are there like...actual cafes that cater to humans and vampires? I mean...somewhere where we can both get something?"

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »
Emil’s phone vibrated and he read the message from Bill that indicated the exchange was over. He picked up a tan leather briefcase and headed back to the beach, resisting the temptation to take off his sandals again so that he could go wading in the ocean.

Once he neared the two he smiled politely, extending the briefcase to Benny. Business came first, especially when he was dealing with another vampire.

“Thank you so much for assisting my friend Bill with this. This is what we’ve agreed on and if it isn’t suitable please let me know! You have my contact information.” Some of his theatrical tendencies were shining out now no matter how hard he tried to suppress them. At least he’d resisted the urge to call Benny by a nickname…he was sure that wouldn’t be appreciated.

He turned to Bill and extended his arm out for the mortal to grab hold of.

“Shall we?”  He asked, subtly giving Bill the reigns for a moment to decide if they should leave or not.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
Benny took the money and thanked Emil with a nod. It would all go to a good place. He found goodbyes even more awkward than hellos. He simply nodded at Emil - being careful not to extend a hand. However, he made eye contact with Bill and admitted in his face that he was sad to say goodbye to the nice mortal.

"See ya round kiddo," Benny mused. He faded into the shadows and began going home to start working on Bill's case.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
Lifting his hand, the young man waved the Nosferatu off. Bill turned to the other vampire as Benny faded away, his eyes wide and hopeful . This was probably the most hope he had had in a very, very long time, and Emil was completely to thank for that. The look on his face probably said as much, too.

"You have no idea how much this means to me," he murmured, reaching over to take Emil's hand and squeeze it. "He says he has plenty of information to find Thomas, it's only a matter of time!"

Slowly, he walked with Emil, heading towards the car they had come in. Emil had a very nice car, he thought, something that he had expected, given what little he knew about Emil's expensive tastes.

"And um…are you hungry?" Yes,he had decided at last. He did, in fact, want to repay Emil in the only way he knew how--through feedings. Another part of him, though, remembered David and how amazing that particular one had been. He wondered if he would see the vampire again, or if they would continue to trade texts or whatever it was that they were doing now.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
A grin splayed upon Emil’s face as he listened to the young man babble onwards- but he said nothing in response. It delighted him to see that he was fulfilling someone else in a way, but he’d have been just as content if Bill hadn’t been as appreciative and thankful. It was the act that mattered, not the reaction.

As soon as they reached his car he hit the unlock button; the car honked and it’s lights blinked to indicate everything was ready to go. This car in particular even had a ‘start engine’ button on the keychain but Emil rarely used it. It was a perk that was more about showing off than convenience and right now his attention was focused on something else. Before Bill could rush to the other side of the car and into the passenger’s seat, Emil grabbed him by the arm and gently guided him so they were gazing face to face. He needed to make eye contact to be sure that Bill understood his intentions and to be sure that he understood Bill’s intentions, if that was even a possibility right now considering  how vaguely they knew one another.

“I wonder, Bill,” He started off softly but an insistence in his voice. He wouldn’t let the issue drop until the mortal gave him a straight answer. Already his fatherly-like attitude was kicking in with Bill; the need to parent and instruct was stronger than ever.

“Did you have time to think of what I asked you last time, pookie? I need to know what you decided after thinking about it. If you didn’t think about it- please! The honesty is surely welcome and we can have this conversation at a later time. But I need to know your motivations for your offer, does that make sense, sweetie? It would be morally wrong for me to accept your offer it’s out of obligation rather than desire.”

He eyed the boy, waiting for a response. He was slowly becoming more aggressive about this; the more the human evaded the issue the more it troubled him deeply.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
The previous time, Bill hadn’t had an answer for Emil. Over the course of the past week or two, however, he had genuinely thought about it, and he had come to a conclusion. It was both. He desired to repay Emil, and this was the best way to do so, in his mind. Therefore, he must desire to be fed from. He hadn’t exactly opposed it at all when David had fed from him, though the circumstances were vastly different. He wasn’t sure he even wanted to be in any kind of sexual relationship with Emil, anyway. The other vampire seemed far too fatherly for that.

“I do want it,” he replied, honestly, no doubt in his mind about that. His reasons for wanting it were dubious, perhaps, but the fact that he wanted it did not change in the slightest. He even managed to stop his voice from wavering when he answered Emil, too.

His hand instinctively curled into the front of Emil’s shirt, the natural place for it, it seemed. He was a bit clingy, but Emil hadn’t minded so far. Was it wrong to want Emil to hold him in that possessive embrace again? He didn’t care whether or not Emil fed from him—he had grown used to it now, and had even grown a bit fond of it, though he wouldn’t normally seek it out. If it got him what he wanted, though, why not agree to it—or in this case, even suggest it?

“I really appreciate you giving me time to really think about it…but I actually do want it, believe it or not.”

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 05:39:26 AM »
He decided to take Bill’s words for it. The boy sounded confident enough in his opinion and it had seemed like he’d thought about it, so the vampire didn’t probe the boy’s mind. Even in circumstances where he really should have Emil rarely used his powers on humans. He felt to a degree it was taking advantage of them and he never wanted to make the power imbalance greater than it was by using his powers to his own benefit. Bill had a right to lie to him and if Emil ever found out that Bill had smudged his true feelings about the matter, then, Emil would have a right to be upset with him. It was only the way things went.

“Oh, I believe you, pookie. I’ve been bitten before at least once, I’m sure you know.” He gave the boy a wink.

“Do you preference it here or elsewhere? I do need to talk to you about something before you go, as well,” His voice trailed off. Emil didn’t want to worry Bill but there were troubling rumors that had been cropping up and he wanted to be sure that the innocent-seeming human was safe considering the new shift of the city’s powers and such.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
Bill didn't move away, instead smiling sincerely at the vampire. He was glad that Emil hadn't pressed further, not sure that his simple 'I want it' would hold up to scrutiny.

It was nice that Emil felt he could joke about his own turning, though Bill had to admit a small tremor of fear went through his body at how easily he could become a vampire. It didn't take much, did it? In fact, he wasn't sure he knew the entire process, but Andi had assured him that merely being bitten wasn't enough. That was good, at least. He wouldn't be able to stand drinking blood, he was sure…he didn't even eat meat now!

"I don't know where else we could go…" Bill replied, biting his lip a little. It didn't seem like a good idea to do it in the sand, though as he recalled, their last feeding had been at a beach, too…so to speak. Strange coincidence.

"But somewhere else would be fine," he finished, letting his hand fall from Emil's shirt at last as he reluctantly stepped back. "What…um…what do you need to talk to me about?"

He honestly did not know anything about any sort of vampire politics, and that was the way he preferred it. The less he was part of their world, the less they were part of his. He just wanted his brother back, after all. That's what he kept telling himself, at least.

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »
“Do you want to see where I live, then? I’m confident it would be less messy and much more comfortable than here!”

Emil grinned, exposing his fangs. It was about time that he brought Bill home, and perhaps if Lamar happened to be hanging around he could do introductions. He surely talked about his roommate enough that Bill knew of Lamar by now and it would be good to get them meeting out of the way. Lamar didn’t take to just everyone and he hoped that if he were to introduce Bill things would work out smoothly, as opposed to some rather volatile interactions he’d had that directly involved the Earth Nymph.

“And as long as you’re not in a hurry to rush off, I’m sure I can save the discussion for afterward.”

He didn’t want worries lingering in the back of Bill’s mind while he was being fed from. If they saved it until after they could talk it out and he could take the boy home when he was certain he understood.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
Bill considered the proposition quickly. He doubted his father would care if he didn't come him until dawn (or shortly before), and the next day was one of the few days off that he had. In short, he had no reason whatsoever to rush off after Emil fed from him, though he wasn't sure why he would want to, anyway. It seemed rude, especially after Emil had added liking the ones that stuck around.

"No curfew tonight," he explained, not bothered in the least by the sight of the fangs. In anything, they made a chill of excitement run down his back. "Sounds like a plan to me, I mean."

He wondered how different Emil's place was from David's…aside from the other vampire, he had never been into a vampire's home before. Would it be as bereft of food as David's had been, or did he keep it stocked for guests?

Offline skeggsismad

• Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 08:32:22 AM »
"Fantastic, darling! Hop in and we'll be there in no time."

Emil gestured to the car and proceeded to get into the driver's side of the car. Once Bill had climbed into the passenger's side and buckled up, Emil started the car's engine and took off towards home.

Continued here.